INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Burning always Fails [probable Nero problem]  (Read 9973 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
CD Burning always Fails [probable Nero problem]
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:10:33 pm »

I have MC11.1 on my laptop as well as my wife's desktop. Burning on my laptops works but I haven't tried it much as that burner doesn't support CD text. On my wife's PC cd burning in MC always fails. It starts burning but halfway through it will eject the disk and tell me that it is "waiting on the logical unit" or "can't recover table of contents" (quotes from my memory and might not be the exact words). I can burn successfully every time using Nero. Why can't I burn in MC and what do these error msgs mean? You will notice two drives and it fails on both. I primarily use the Plextor DVDR.

Media Center Registered 11.1.99 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 1804 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 712 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-740A     Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-105    Addr: 5:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

JohnT

Re: CD Burning always Fails
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:58:15 am »

Please enable debug logging with just the "CD" event checked. Then try a CD burn (enable test mode to prevent ruining the CD) and when the error occurs, zip up the log file and email it to me. Also, please post the exact wording of the error message.

Thanks!
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

edbro

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:22:14 pm »

I can confirm what was mentioned in the Media Center 11.1.101 Release Candidate thread. Burning fails only when "Show List" is selected. If you don't select Show List, it works fine. If I do select "Show List", then the screen draws are very slow and burning will fail every time in the middle of the task.

Log file emailed this evening to Johnt

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 09:27:29 pm »

This is the same as what I've encountered.
Don't Panic!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:51:16 am »

We've found a problem when Nero is installed.  Try uninstalling Nero and rebooting.

JohnT

Re: CD Burning always Fails [probable Nero problem]
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:54:56 am »

There was also a problem with displaying the queue list status column which caused everything to slow way down. This was fixed a while back. Please let us know if you can burn ok now.

Thanks!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

edbro

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 09:21:26 am »

There was also a problem with displaying the queue list status column which caused everything to slow way down. This was fixed a while back. Please let us know if you can burn ok now.

Thanks!

Yes, I can burn fine now. Thanks.
P.S. I do have Nero installed (both before and after the problem was resolved).

I'm not sure of why you would advocate uninstalling $70 worth of Nero, which works perfectly, to solve a problem I'm having only with MC.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 11:13:02 am »

It would tell us whether we are up against a problem we are aware of or something new.

Not relevant now, obviously.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 09:56:49 pm »

You know, there has to be more to this.
I've run Nero since v5 and have never seen a problem with burning CD in MC except when there is an actual bug in a dev build.

I never add the Nero plugin as a device.
Gotta be something common for the problem and something not common for those of us who don't see the problem with Nero & MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 10:09:32 pm »

The Nero WMP plugin has issues.  This is not an MC issue as basic WMDM enumeration dead-locks the process when their plugin is installed.

If you don't enable the WMP plugin, you wouldn't see the problems.  It may not affect all Nero versions / hardware combinations.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up