INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1: iPod Eject Discussion  (Read 5932 times)

pank2002

• Citizen of the Universe
MC 11.1: iPod Eject Discussion
« on: February 03, 2006, 04:30:34 pm »

5. NEW: Media Center does an OS-level eject on devices like an iPod when the system suports it. (so it's removed from the "Safely Remove Hardware" system, etc.)
6. NEW: Added the ability to eject drive-style handheld devices like a MuVo, Samsung, etc. (OS-level eject as well)
Thanks you!
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

lOth

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 05:36:44 pm »

5. NEW: Media Center does an OS-level eject on devices like an iPod when the system suports it. (so it's removed from the "Safely Remove Hardware" system, etc.)

Thanks! It sure feels good to be heard  ;)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 11:42:06 pm »

How do we disable this new feature (please)?

With this new feature, it's no longer possible to eject and leave your iPod charging only :(

lOth

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 02:07:15 am »

With this new feature, it's no longer possible to eject and leave your iPod charging only

As long as your iPod is plugged-in I don't see how it's not charging. What do you see on the screen?

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 08:00:05 am »

As long as your iPod is plugged-in I don't see how it's not charging. What do you see on the screen?

Menu and then when you hold Play down it turns off completely.  It is NOT charging, no battery symbol.  Believe me, this is not a good thing if you want to leave your iPod charging (only).  I think a handheld-level option is needed.

If you use iTunes and Eject and then hold down Play to turn it off, you get the battery charging symbol.  With MC's new OS-Level eject 'feature', you can never just leave it plugged in to charge (because it is really not plugged in anymore).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 11.1: iPod Eject Discussion
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 11:43:41 am »

The new OS-level eject feature fixes issues where an ejected iPod could still be partially detected by MC or another program.

If you want to keep the iPod charging, disable the auto-eject feature.

The dirty little secret is that there's no harm in just unplugging your iPod if it isn't working.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 12:53:35 pm »

I think you missed the point.  I'm not using auto-eject.  I'm choosing Eject iPod and the OS-Level eject is not good (if you want to leave your iPod charging).  I'm forced to use iTunes now to eject (bummer).

Please make a handheld-only option to enable/disable this feature so I can once again have my Nano working with MC (with Eject support).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 01:28:18 pm »

If you want to leave an iPod charging, don't eject.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 01:44:49 pm »

Ok, I'll stick with iTunes since MC is broke now.

I just want to charge it and not have it mounted or accessible from the PC.  But, I guess that's too hard to explain or understand.

lOth

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 01:46:52 pm »

Menu and then when you hold Play down it turns off completely.  It is NOT charging, no battery symbol.

Now I'm lost. If you want to keep your iPod charging why would you do this? Just eject from MC and don't do this. No?

Ok, I'll stick with iTunes since MC is broke now.
I don't think MC is broke, but there might be something broke on your system.

TimB

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 04:12:08 pm »

I just want to charge it and not have it mounted or accessible from the PC. 

Why?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 07:46:25 pm »

I just want to CHARGE it (it runs on batteries) and I don't want it to be mounted or accessible.  Without spending more money for a charger only, this is the only way to do it.

TimB

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 08:29:39 pm »

I just want to CHARGE it (it runs on batteries) and I don't want it to be mounted or accessible.  Without spending more money for a charger only, this is the only way to do it.
I'm not being difficult, I have an iPod and I honestly can't understand why I'd care if it was mounted/accessible while it was charging.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

lOth

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 08:04:54 am »

what I don't understand is that what sbsp2 wants to do is perfectly doable. As matter of fact I'm doing it right now: I ejected my iPod from within MC, MC is still running, I can see the battery icon on my iPod indicating it's charging, and the iPod appears nowhere in Windows: it's not there as a device in MC, it's not there as a drive in Windows Explorer. That's why I'm suggesting sbsp2 might have a problem with his system or that there's something he doesn't do right.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 08:50:06 am »

what I don't understand is that what sbsp2 wants to do is perfectly doable. As matter of fact I'm doing it right now: I ejected my iPod from within MC, MC is still running, I can see the battery icon on my iPod indicating it's charging, and the iPod appears nowhere in Windows: it's not there as a device in MC, it's not there as a drive in Windows Explorer. That's why I'm suggesting sbsp2 might have a problem with his system or that there's something he doesn't do right.

Not my system at all.  It's MC 11.1.113 for sure.  I'm using a Nano, are you?  If not, then different iPods must act differently on eject and maybe that's whay everybody thinks I'm nuts.  Prior to this MC eject change, I did get the Battery icon after eject.  If I use iTunes (yuck) to eject, I get the Battery icon (still).

One nice feature of Battery icon condition (after eject), is that after your Nano is fully charged the Nano turns itself off.  Having to leave it connected to the PC in sync mode (without eject) does not turn the Nano off and it can/would stay on for hours/days even if I have no intentions of syncing anything to it or accessing it.  Charging only situations are valid and that's why Apple designed it that way (with a specific Battery icon, too).

lOth

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 09:24:35 am »

I'm using a Nano, are you?  If not, then different iPods must act differently on eject and maybe that's whay everybody thinks I'm nuts.
That might be it then.
And don't worry about people around here thinking you're nuts, I thought I had lost it myself many times while beta testing MC ;)

Prior to this MC eject change, I did get the Battery icon after eject
Question is: what do you get then when you eject with 11.1.113?

is that after your Nano is fully charged the Nano turns itself off.
Nice. I think this feature might only exist on the Nano then. My 4G will always display the battery icon if I leave it plugged in, even if it's fully charged.

Having to leave it connected to the PC in sync mode (without eject) does not turn the Nano off and it can/would stay on for hours/days even if I have no intentions of syncing anything to it or accessing it.
I don't think this does much harm to the iPod. Or does it? Please someone correct me because I've been curious about this. Anyway, you could just unplug it when you're confident it's fully charged.
I understand the "do not disconnect" message is a bit tiring and worrying, I just try to not look at it.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 09:58:55 am »

Question is: what do you get then when you eject with 11.1.113?

The Nano main menu.  The one you see after you turn on the Nano.  So, now after I eject I have to turn off the Nano manually or let it set for xx number of minutes and let it turn off automatically.  It definitely is not charging or going to start charging.

lOth

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 12:56:49 pm »

The Nano main menu.
On my 4G I get the main menu too. I just let it sit like this and after a couple minutes I get the battery icon (indicating the iPod is charging).

What happens if you just wait after the main menu appears?

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 01:15:17 pm »

What happens if you just wait after the main menu appears?

After xx number of minutes, it just powers off (does NOT go to charging).  It is not fully charged currently.  Remember, if I do the eject from iTunes it goes straight to the Battery charging icon (as stated earlier).

lOth

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 03:32:22 pm »

looks like a Nano thing then.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 04:05:21 pm »

Having to leave it connected to the PC in sync mode (without eject) does not turn the Nano off and it can/would stay on for hours/days even if I have no intentions of syncing anything to it or accessing it.

This is how the regular iPod works for me.  I just leave it in the "Do not disconnect" mode until I'm ready to take it with me, and THEN I eject it.  There doesn't seem to be any problem with this, which is why I'm confused about the following statement:

Charging only situations are valid and that's why Apple designed it that way (with a specific Battery icon, too).

I'm not arguing -- I'm just trying to understand.  What is the problem with just leaving it in sync mode all the time?  What is the advantage of ejecting it when leaving it docked?  It appears that the nano works a bit differently than the iPod, and that iTunes works differently than MC, but if iTunes is not doing an OS level eject and MC is, I think that MC has an ADVANTAGE in this regard.  I would say that an OS level eject -- i.e. the same type of eject that the "remove devices" icon in the systray gives you -- is the proper way to go.

On a related note, did you try using the systray "remove devices" icon for ejecting just to confirm that it shows the same behavior as the MC eject?

Larry

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 08:27:41 am »

To me the reasons are obvious, but I guess I'm the only one who 'gets it' and why Apple did iTunes' eject the way they did.  As I said, I'll just use iTune to eject and not MC now (a pain because I don't use iTunes for anything at all, but now to eject).

Thanks for the discussion, though.

lOth

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 08:54:37 am »

I'd like to get it too, I wouldn't like to damage my iPod.

Do you think it damages the screen to have the "do not disconnect" message or the main menu displayed constantly? Or maybe you believe battery life is reduced because the iPod is not automatically powered off after it's fully charged?

I think we'd like to help because we can't see a good reason why you should bother having iTunes installed just for the sake of doing an eject that offers no advantage whatsoever as compared to MC's.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 03:13:38 pm »

To me the reasons are obvious, but I guess I'm the only one who 'gets it' and why Apple did iTunes' eject the way they did.

As I said earlier, I'm not arguing -- I'm just trying to understand.  You say that the reasons are obvious to you -- could you possibly just share with us these reasons?  They are not clearly not obvious to others here.  Please help me "get it" as well.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 03:15:46 pm »

Do you think it damages the screen to have the "do not disconnect" message or the main menu displayed constantly?

This is a moot point since the screen is ALSO used to display the "battery charging" screen.

Larry

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 03:29:36 pm »

just for the record, my 5g ipod behaves the same as sbsp2's nano.
when it's ejected, it's ejected from the system and no charging occurs.
I don't have a problem with this at all, unless someone confirms that keeping the ipod 'open' is a bad thing.
I certainly won't be installing itunes anytime soon.

lOth

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 01:42:50 am »

I don't have a problem with this at all, unless someone confirms that keeping the ipod 'open' is a bad thing.

I think that's what sbsp2 thinks: leaving the ipod open is bad (damages?) the ipod.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 05:24:12 am »

I think that's what sbsp2 thinks: leaving the ipod open is bad (damages?) the ipod.

The thing that's really confusing me is the fact that he won't clarify what he thinks.  He says "Believe me, this is not a good thing if you want to leave your iPod charging (only)," but he isn't saying "why" this is the case, and I honestly don't know what the problem with this situation is.  I've left my iPod docked and mounted for days at a time with no problems, so I'm unclear what the danger could be.  I'm not saying he's incorrect -- I'm just asking for clarification.  Even if it's simply a matter of "peace of mind" to have it work the way iTunes does, that's fine, but so far, he doesn't seem to want to share his thinking with us.  Instead, he just said "I guess that's too hard to explain or understand," and "I guess I'm the only one who 'gets it'."  As far as I can see, he hasn't tried to exlpain it yet.

Note that I'm NOT trying to antagonize or attack sbsp2.  I'm just asking for clarification because I really WOULD like to know if or why this would be bad for an iPod.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up