INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center has detected a new CD in drive...  (Read 1636 times)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Media Center has detected a new CD in drive...
« on: May 04, 2006, 03:02:23 pm »

Howdy,

The error below is routinely occurring for me (about 1/4 discs), and its frustrating my attempts at cataloging my collection. It occurs when trying to read the catalog information from a CD to download information from YADB.

"Media Center has detected a new CD in drive E: but can't get the correct volume information.  Please try ejected and reinserting the CD."

I've posted this problem in a couple of different posts, and was hoping someone from the MC team could respond.

Other programs have no trouble reading any of the disc for which this error occurs.

Assistance in resolving and/or diagnosing this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

btw. the dialog in which the error appears is also *very* modal, in that no MC refreshes can occur - it essentially lock up the MC process until dismissed.  The dialog can be moved around, but it leaves artifacts.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center has detected a new CD in drive...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:45:01 pm »

Is it always the same drive?

MrC

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:18:18 pm »

No, it will occur on either of my two CD/DVD drives.  I typically use one drive, since it has faster, more accurate ripping. I've found when the error occurs, I can switch drives and MC will often, but not always read with the second drive.

Once the error occurs, its very difficult to convince MC to read that disc with the erroring drive.  Sometimes simply restarting MC will help, other times restarting Windows seems to be required.

I'm happy to help diagnose; so far, i've been unable to find a consistent pattern.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:48:58 pm »

Possibilities I can think of:

Other software grabbing the drive.  Nero has caused problems in the past.  Others as well.

Virus checker.

Take a look at this thread for other ideas:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 04:57:43 pm »

I have Nero installed, but not running.  Norton A/V is not getting in the way.

I had suspected EAC as being the culprit, but the error occurs with or without EAC running.

I've looked through the posted thread, but haven't noticed anything in particular.

Something else to note, sometimes MC simply doesn't detect the disk insert (disc doesn't appear in device, and of course, no YADB lookup will occur).

Is there a diag I can enable for addtional info?

Here's the system info:

Media Center Registered 11.1.181 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2968 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1215 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive E: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-348B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: BENQ    DVD DD DW1620     Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: SAMSUNG  CDRW/DVD SM-348B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: BENQ     DVD DD DW1620      Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 06:09:04 pm »

Other programs like Nero may run software in the background.  Check the task manager.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:19:52 pm »

Other programs like Nero may run software in the background.  Check the task manager.

Yeah, I had already checked.  I'm an ex-Unix kernel guy, and have done my share of windows system development too, so I believe I've checked the obvious stuff... but you never know!

The unique thing about MC wrt. this issue is its the only media player that fails in this fashion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up