INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy Disk File - Enhancement Request  (Read 2649 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Copy Disk File - Enhancement Request
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:11:09 am »

Hello, I'm hoping that this can be addressed in this version.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31662.0

Thanks,
-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Copy Disk File - Enhancement Request
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 11:20:20 am »

I wanted to mention... I lost some files yesterday trying to use the Rename Files from Properties tool from v11.  The tool isn't very reliable when used to move files from one disk to another (particularly when the disk you are moving to is a slow drive -- network or removable).  I regularly have it lose track of files, fail to move some of them (seemingly at random), and yesterday it "ate" a random handful of my FLAC files (which caused me to have to re-download the entire show much to my chagrin).

In order to use this, I typically have to first use the file Move/Copy tool to move the files to the proper drive, and then run a Rename Files from Properties on them.  The problem with this workaround is that since the Move/Copy tool just dumps the files all into a single folder, sometimes you have "duplicate named" file problems when trying to rename/move a large number of files.

The problem could probably be solved by using a far more robust rename/move/copy routine (which verified that each "move" op completed before moving onto the next).  The option to choose "Copy files first, then delete" (ala Azureus) could help solve this as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 11:36:17 am »

I wanted to mention... I lost some files yesterday trying to use the Rename Files from Properties tool from v11.  The tool isn't very reliable when used to move files from one disk to another (particularly when the disk you are moving to is a slow drive -- network or removable).  I regularly have it lose track of files, fail to move some of them (seemingly at random), and yesterday it "ate" a random handful of my FLAC files (which caused me to have to re-download the entire show much to my chagrin).
That may be a driver problem. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 11:47:01 am »

It's always been a problem since v10, and I've had it happen with a wide variety of different machines and hardware.  I'm reasonably sure it's a problem with the Rename tool, not anything machine-specific (maybe not it eating my FLAC files, but that could have been a one-time fluke).

The problem almost always manifests when moving a large number/size of files (say, 10-20 GB of AVIs - a few seasons of TV shows, for example) from a local drive onto a network drive.  It usually "forgets" to move a couple of the AVI files, and reports the "could not save tag changes" error.  It then "orphans" these lost files (as the library thinks they've moved but they haven't).

Again... I could be wrong, but I haven't had similar problems moving files otherwise (eg. through Windows Explorer or using MC's built-in Move/Copy tool).

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 03:03:42 pm »

interesting...

I moved 63 gb of movie files across my LAN using the rename tool, and while it took forever and a day to complete, it did complete, without any errors. Probably not the most helpful comment in the world, but it makes me wonder if there's network problems somewhere in there?

A while back, as a temporary measure, I was using what I thought was a CAT5 crossover cable, with an adapter to uncross it. I was getting loads of network dropout errors and partially transferred files etc. etc. and it turned out that the crossover cable wasn't, and the adapter was actually making a crossover out of a straight-through cable. A long shot, I know, but just my experience in case it helps.

-marko.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 03:21:14 pm »

hmmmm... Thanks for the comments marko.  I'm not really sure what to think now...

I know it really isn't my network.  I've tested the system exhaustively using Windows Explorer, file copies, and MD5 sums as I was having network-related issues at one point.  Plus, I've had the same exact problem using the Rename files tool on my machine at work (which is a different network and a different set of machines entirely).  I've never had corrupted files or partially transfered files (other than the recent disappearing FLAC files, but as I said, I'm not positive that was related to this -- I may have deleted them inadvertently somehow)... MC would just think they had moved when they hadn't.

However, that doesn't mean it's not being caused by some weird piece of software or something like that.

Hmmm...

PS. My network cards all have the "auto crossover" feature (which detects if a crossover is needed and does it "in the card") so I threw out all my crossover cables.  I only rarely need to use direct-connections anyway, as there are plenty of empty ports on my 16-port Gigabit switch.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 03:22:56 pm »

Virus checker?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 03:24:36 pm »

Yeah.... That's a thought, Jim (exactly what I was thinking).

Symantec AV Corp 9 is the only major piece of "system software" (other than XP Pro) that my home and work machines have in common.  I will probably try to "exempt" my main media network drive at home on the system tonight and see what happens.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 03:27:40 pm »

We had a problem reported a while back that was solved (I think) by turning off the "real time" virus checking of every file being opened.  I think it's in the Weird and Wonderful thread.  Check the FAQ for a link.

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 04:30:44 pm »

As I recall, Gamer's original request had to do with getting "Copy Disk File" to recreate the structure it found in the original tree in some other place--artist/album, etc.  I think there is still a need for this, and unless the RIAA has something to say about it, it ought to be fairly easy/painless to implement.  On the other hand, perhaps the mad scientists are cooking up some new/improved method for data backups.

As for "Rename...", how come everybody's bashing this great tool?  Like Marko said, it really delivers (at a walking pace) a humongus data move.  The only time I ever suspected it of eating files, the files had stayed where they were in their original location bcause they were of illegal file length.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 05:25:55 pm »

Yeah.... I just figured it out (I think).

Dumb me had been leaving Azureus open, and seeding the files I had been trying to move using the Rename tool.  This would, of course, result in MC not being able to move the files that were actively being uploaded.  Others would work with no problem.

I suspect something similar (sharing violation type problems) had been happening at work.  Many people use the files that MC manages at work, and it's possible that people (maybe even me) had a bunch of the images sitting open in Photoshop on another machine.

Doesn't explain my missing FLAC files, but gets me half-way there.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 02:57:14 am »

:D
I dabble with bitspirit now and again!! It's the only thing that I've seen 980 k/s downloads with.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 09:25:46 am »

:D
I dabble with bitspirit now and again!! It's the only thing that I've seen 980 k/s downloads with.

On popular torrents I'll see speeds of well over 1.5Mbps using Azureus, if I let it run unbridled (I have a pretty hefty cable connection though).  I actually downloaded one copy of the Radiohead show from Bonnaroo (a 2.6GB 24bit FLAC set) which averaged over 1.7Mbps.

Generally, I limit the bandwidth that my P2P apps are allowed to use using NetLimiter 1.3 (I don't like the new one as much) though.  My Vonage doesn't work as well with Azureus using up that big of a hunk of my pipe.   ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up