INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jrtools problem when installing  (Read 2284 times)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Jrtools problem when installing
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:39:23 pm »

OK, posted this in the release notes thread, but its taken a slight turn for the worse, so I'm posting this here as well.
Updated via the help menu from 12.0.130, and now I'm unable to right-click on anything, as Explorer crashes.
This is from the event viewer:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module jrtools.dll, version 12.0.281.0, fault address 0x00017f97.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
The matching event ID 1001 is this:
Fault bucket 365548451.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Attempted to uninstall, and complains of a critical error to do with JRTools.dll being in use. Rebooted the PC & the same, 12.0.130 will also not install, complaining that JRTools.dll can't be modified.
Haven't tried safe mode yet, but somethings majorly up the creak.

-Leezer-

gappie

Re: Major bug- Please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:52:11 pm »

have you tried to download and reinstall the 139 from this page?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Re: Major bug- Please help!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:56:56 pm »

Hadn't actually thought of that  :-[ , but no difference whatsoever. The exact message is this:
Install wizard could not copy necessary files to the destination folder.
Please ensure that the file 'C:\Program Files\J River\Media Centre 12\JRTools.dll' is not in use.

Something very odd is going on here- I've just tried an uninstall in safe mode, but this complains about not being able to find skins, and then leaves beind two undeletable files (Tried with Windows explorer so far)- jrshellext.dll & jrtools.dll. Still crashing though :(

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Jrtools problem when installing
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:12:42 pm »

If you can't find any other way, you should be able to delete the jrtools.dll file from a command prompt.  You might have to boot to DOS to do it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 06:15:04 pm »

Shell-extensions can lock JRTools.dll.

Try running the install from the desktop after a reboot without right-clicking or starting Explorer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:18:18 pm »

Okay, bulldozed the files in question using Pocket Killbox. This appears to stop the crashes, but I'm unsure as to any other effects?
Any install of 12.0.139 on this machine produces the crashes in question, but 12.0.130 works flawlessly. (Tried upgrade via the downloaded installer, upgrade from within MC & a clean install)

Can produce the XP crash logs if you want them, not much more I can say really?

Edit: Sorry, Matt are you saying that I should have the installer on the desktop & try upgrading from there, or do you mean a clean install?
Rebooting had no effect that I was aware of.

-Leezer-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:21:50 pm »

These crashes can happen if the shell-extensions and tools library don't align.  Newer builds have added an extra security check to prevent mis-alignment crashes, but first you need to get to build 139 (or newer) to have this check.

To fix this problem, simply install the latest build with no files locked.  Once the files have matching versions, the problem will go away.

The best way to do this is to reboot and then run the update directly from the desktop. (don't right-click or open Explorer until you've finished the install)

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up