INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong Cover Art  (Read 4700 times)

mwsmith

• Recent member
Wrong Cover Art
« on: March 03, 2008, 05:16:39 pm »

I'll try and keep this short, but I want to be sure you are aware of all the steps I took.

I downloaded and installed the latest evaluation copy of Media Center 12.  I imported a folder I have on my PC which holds all my MP3 files.  These files were alreaded tagged with a previous program (I dont remember which one).  There was also a lot of cover art .jpgs in that folder.  The cover art was NOT in the tags however.  All these files (MP3 and JPG) were in a single folder with no sub-folders.

After importing all files, I selected all of them and requested that all Cover Art be retrieved from the Internet.  I noticed right away that quite a few of the files got cover art for a John Denver album (even though of course the artist wasn't even John Denver).

I then discovered that MC was picking up one JPG called folder.jpg that was indeed a John Denver cover.  I then deleted ALL JPGs from my import folder and cleared my library to start again.  I also didn't want cover art stored in the tags, so at this time I found and unchecked the setting to have MC store cover art in the tags as well.

Now whenever I retrieve cover art from the Internet, if the tag values do not result in a solid hit, I still get John Denver as the "default" cover art.

This is one of those stupid little things that keeps me up at night, so any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wrong Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 05:49:36 pm »

Delete the folder.jpg file.  If MC doesn't find art in a directory, it will use the folder.jpg.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:06:06 pm »

This is one of those stupid little things that keeps me up at night

Try Ambien, Or Lunesta They Both Work Good.

Or Watch "The Creature From The Black Lagoon".

I Also Think If Someone Submits The Wrong Art You May Get The Wrong Art.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mwsmith

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:48:42 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

JimH: I deleted ALL JPGs in my folder including the folder.jpg file.  There is not a folder.jpg (or any other JPG for that matter) anwhere in my music folder.  Its almost like the image is still cached somewhere and MC keeps using this as a default image when cover art can not be found on the Internet.

KingSparta: I thought maybe someone submitted the wrong art for one album, but I have a couple dozen albums from differerent artists using that darn John Denver cover art.  (I don't even like John Denver which adds insult to injury)  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:13:47 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

JimH: I deleted ALL JPGs in my folder including the folder.jpg file.  There is not a folder.jpg (or any other JPG for that matter) anwhere in my music folder.  Its almost like the image is still cached somewhere and MC keeps using this as a default image when cover art can not be found on the Internet.

Look again.  It's probably hidden.  MS WMP makes them.  IE, too, I think.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:25:22 pm »

I don't even like John Denver

I remember once He came over to Korea, and put on a Concert for the troops guarding the DMZ.

For many of us his songs gave us a much needed touch of home.

Even men with high levels of testosterone cried.

as jimh said windows media player creates hidden files so make sure you can view hidden files.

AlbumArtSmall.jpg
Folder.jpg
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mwsmith

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 08:11:08 pm »

I know you guys think I'm crazy, but I swear there is no folder.jpg or AlbumArt*.jpg anywhere in my music folder or my cover art folder.  I am viewing all hidden and system files.

As an example, I have in my cover art folder an image file called "Elton John - Love Songs [1996].jpg".  The image is of John Denver's Greatest hits.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 02:43:12 am »

Are you aware that MC has a library field called Image File? It should tell you where the image comes from. You can add the field as a new column or to Action Window > Tag.

It shows either a file link or if the field value is "Inside File" the image file is embedded in the file tags. If a link doesn't contain a directory path then the linked image file is in the audio file's folder.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mwsmith

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 08:05:40 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

In looking at all tags for a file I see that the Image File is:

C:|Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 12\Cover Art\Sarah Brightman - Timeless.jpg

The actual image however is John Denver's Greatest Hits.

I secect Remove Cover Art.  The Image File tag is now empty and I see the default image for an album with No Cover Art.

Then I select Cover Art/Get From Internet.  I select Download if missing & a Tolerance of Standard.

I get back the John Denver Cover Art stored in the same Image File as above.

I really feel there is definitely something wrong with either YADB or with MC.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 02:59:16 am »

That particular Sarah Brightman album had indeed "John Denver's Greatest Hits" cover art image in the database. I uploaded the correct image. It works now.

Did I understand correctly that you got the same John Denver image for numerous albums?

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mwsmith

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 07:46:06 am »

Thank you very much.  You are right, this particilay album cover is present in about two dozen or so of my library.

I think i now know what happened.  Way back when I first played with my newly downloaded MC, I was experimenting with managing my Library.  It was then that I had a rouge folder.jpg (a John Denver album) in my music library.  I think I must have selected a bunch of songs with this John Denver art and chose to Sumbit Cover Art.

There is no help information that I could find on Submitting Cover Art.  I really had no idea that I was uploading Cover Art immediatly to the YADB database.

I very much appreciate everyone's help and I apologize if I've messed up YADB for anyone else.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:02:28 am »

That particular Sarah Brightman album had indeed "John Denver's Greatest Hits" cover art image in the database. I uploaded the correct image. It works now.

I've noticed that there are a few glitches like this as I've been working on the cover art. (Thanks for fixing that one Alex).
I suspect a bug from a long time ago.

Let me know if you notice any others.

j

BinaryRock

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 02:36:19 pm »

I'm having a similar problem. I removed all albumart.jpg files as well as the folder.jpg file from my MP3 folder. I have not submitted anything to the DB, nor have I tried to retrieve anything from the DB. I have tried updating my library and I still get the same folder.jpg image for any files that are "missing" cover art. I have tried right clicking-->Remove Cover Art and approving to delete the file from the hard disk. For a few moments, I'll see the music note icon. The library will "refresh" (auto import is running in background) and the cover art image will revert back to the folder.jpg image.

How can I solve this problem? Is there anyway to tell MC not to use any folder.jpg files as the cover art images? I'm going through a mass organization of my music. I want to fix my artist/album tags before I retrieve cover art from the internet since I have many songs with missing or incorrect tags. I would be content with a "missing art" image rather than an incorrect one. It makes the organizing easier.

One last question. I have been playing with many media/audio players in recent weeks, trying to find the "perfect" one. I seem to remember one of these programs would show a blank jewel case for songs with missing album art. Just out of curiosity, was this MC or perhaps another one of the programs I was playing with?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is much appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 02:42:06 pm »

If you have multiple tracks in the same directory as a single folder.jpg, MC will use the folder.jpg. 

You could use MC's Library Tools to move the tracks into folders by Artist and Album.

BinaryRock

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 03:08:40 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

I realize that MC is using the folder.jpg file (which has been deleted), but is there any way to tell it not to use folder.jpg.

Eventually I plan on organizing the music in some sort of fashion, but for now it all resides in a single folder.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 03:32:19 pm »

BinaryRock

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 03:49:13 pm »

Thanks, but I've already gone through the Wiki (and just did it again). Not quite what I'm looking for.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 03:59:23 pm »

I removed all albumart.jpg files as well as the folder.jpg file from my MP3 folder. ....
I still get the same folder.jpg image for any files that are "missing" cover art.
Any hidden files?

What happens if you use MC to move them?

BinaryRock

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 04:27:45 pm »

I have altered the View settings within Windows Explorer in order to see the hidden and system files that were in the MP3 folder. I then made the files non-hidden and non-system from the command line ("attrib /S -h -s"), then cut and pasted into a different directory on a different computer (for later archiving). I have again tried to "Remove Cover Art" from within MC. I have restarted MC and updated the library. Yet the Image File column still shows "folder.jpg" for all files without embedded images. The thumbnail column shows the same Simon & Garfunkel cover that had previously been the folder.jpg file (which should now have been deleted).

I am not sure what you mean by "move with MC".

Thanks for the help.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 07:08:03 pm »

Yet the Image File column still shows "folder.jpg" for all files without embedded images. The thumbnail column shows the same Simon & Garfunkel cover that had previously been the folder.jpg file (which should now have been deleted).

If MC shows the image file's name without a path then the file is linked from the audio file's folder. MC always creates the thumbnail image from the actual image file (linked or embedded). If the thumbnail was removed and then it reappeared obviously MC somehow found a new folder.jpg file when you "updated" your library. (How exactly did you do that?)

Right-click one of the audio files and select Locate > On Disk (external). Does the folder contain an image file?

I'm going through a mass organization of my music. I want to fix my artist/album tags before I retrieve cover art from the internet since I have many songs with missing or incorrect tags. I would be content with a "missing art" image rather than an incorrect one. It makes the organizing easier.

You can use a "missing art" image easily (though not automatically).

For example:
- download the generic "no cover art" image from my post here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47503.msg325697#msg325697
- put in a separate folder, like C:\nocoverart\
- select the audio files that don't have correct cover art yet and link the "no cover art" image by using the Cover Art > Add From File tool.

You may want to disable the "Also store image in the file's tag" option before linking the generic image (Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art ...)

BinaryRock

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 10:52:15 am »

Thanks for the info on the "no cover art" stuff. I'll do that just as soon as I figure out which songs really don't have cover art.

Using the Locate-->On Disk (external) method, the songs are located exactly where I thought they were (P:\MP3s), but there are no images in that folder, only a stockpile of songs. Perhaps "update" was the wrong word. I meant that I manually triggered the Auto-Import (Tools-->Run Auto-Import Now).

I tried to do a fresh install of MC and a fresh import, but MC already had all of my library info after the install (even though I clicked both boxes during the uninstall). Where does MC keep the library info and other 'behind the scenes' files?

BinaryRock

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 11:38:16 am »

Thank you all for the help. I think I finally figured it all out. A copy of all music and cover art (including that pesky folder.jpg file) was buried in the Application Data folder. It was from this directory that MC was getting the cover art (even though everything within MC points to a different directory).
Pages: [1]   Go Up