INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Device Transfers MP3 Music Files to Data folder  (Read 2445 times)

dawg68fan

• Recent member
Handheld Device Transfers MP3 Music Files to Data folder
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »

I just recently upgraded to MC13.  The Music files I have are on my networked server.  I have two Sandisk Fuze 4GB players.  When I use MC13 on my networked PC to transfer the MP3 songs I want to my Sansa player, the files are placed in the Data folder instead of the Music folder.  When the songs are transferred to the Data folder on my Sansa, the MP3 extension is removed.  I even tried renaming the files with a MP3 extension and moving them to the Music folder instead.  No luck that way either.  The Sansa does not recognize the files even after they were renamed.
However, if I plug my Sansa into my server PC and transfer the songs, they show up in the Music folder and within the Sansa player.
I did not have this issue when I was using MC12 at all.  Plug & play was all there was to it.
Is there a problem with the way MC13 is set up on my networked PC?
I like MC13 alot, but this may drive me to go back to using MC12.
Any suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Handheld Device Transfers MP3 Music Files to Data folder
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:52:07 am »

Did you check the settings for the device in MC13?  It sounds like the music folder is set wrong.

Also try switching the Fuze out of MTP mode.  In its settings it probably has two different modes for transfer.  MTP is only worthwhile if you use WM DRM content.

dawg68fan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:31:12 pm »

Thanks Jim.  I switched from MTP mode to MSC and still no luck.
When you talk about the settings within MC13, are you referring to the "Handheld Options"?  If so I have attached what my settings are current set to.  Do you see anything that would cause the MP3 files to be placed in the DATA folder on the handheld instead of the MUSIC folder?

Remember that I'm trying to place MP3 files on my handheld from a PC that is is linked to the Library Server that is running on my PC server.  And when I try to place the MP3 files on my handheld using MC13 on my PC server, the files are tranferred just fine and in the correct folder on the handheld.
Is there something different now between MC12 and MC13 as far as how MP3 files are transferred?  MC12 was working fine with the same network setup I currently have.  So something must be different I'm thinking.
Any further ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:16 pm »

That isn't our error message.

dawg68fan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:15:40 pm »

I'm sorry about that.  Something is wrong with the link.
Hopefully this image shows.

dawg68fan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 07:16:34 pm »

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have Windows Media Player and Real Player and they both write files just fine to my Sansa Fuze and in the correct folders.  My server is running the Media Library and the PC I use regularly is link to my server running MC13's Media Library through the use of "Search for Library Servers" under the "File-Library" menu.  Starting with MC13 I can no longer place files (music, video, pictures, etc.) in the correct folders on my Sansa player.  MC13 places them in the data folder.  This wasn't a problem with MC12.  I'm not doing anything different than what I did when I used MC12.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this in MC13?  My current Handheld settings are shown above.

iggyiggy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 01:46:05 pm »

Hi,

Did you ever get this problem resolved?  thanks

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 05:54:53 pm »

I just got a Sony NWZ-S728f Walkman today and am having the same problem.  Tracks transfer fine when I use the library locally from my laptop.  But when I use the library from the Library Server it puts the tracks in the data folder and they're just listed as generic documents rather than MP3 files.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:33:50 am »

I just got a Sony NWZ-S728f Walkman today and am having the same problem.  Tracks transfer fine when I use the library locally from my laptop.  But when I use the library from the Library Server it puts the tracks in the data folder and they're just listed as generic documents rather than MP3 files.
Devices sometimes have two modes.  One is usually "MTP" for Microsoft DRM files.  Try switching.

Portable Device transfer has options you can set for file locations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up