INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.1 changes are great  (Read 3447 times)

Grumpy

• Recent member
5.1 changes are great
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:08:33 pm »

The 5.1 changes are great. Thanks for the update.
18Tb Media Server, MC14. 1800+ movies and growing.

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
5.1 changes are great
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:38:19 pm »

The 5.1 changes are a huge win. Working perfectly here, on a Win XP computer from 2003. First time the SPDIF output on that thing has ever worked.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: 5.1 changes are great
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:55:34 pm »

Thanks.

For others reading, this refers to the new 5.1 DSP Output DSP in MC14.0.71 or above.  It's set in Playback/Playback Options/DSP Studio.

It will work with DirectSound or WASAPI or ASIO output.   Configuration example below:

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 06:05:36 am »

Do we really need to turn this on for surround sound output? All of my ripped movies contain the source surround sound audio streams, and my computer goes to the tv via my dolby pro logic reciever using the hdmi out of the computer.

My understanding was that turning on surround sound in MC or in the ffdshow audio settings was only for turning non-surround sources into surround sound. Is that correct?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 07:14:39 am »

Do we really need to turn this on for surround sound output? All of my ripped movies contain the source surround sound audio streams, and my computer goes to the tv via my dolby pro logic reciever using the hdmi out of the computer.
I think you're correct that, with HDMI, you're sending pure digital source that the receiver should decode (both audio and video), but in your case, when you ripped, the audio could have been stored as any format, and you may be using a DirectShow filter to split the source into audio and video on the PC.  If HDMI is the only connection, and you're getting sound from the receiver, then the receiver may still be doing decoding of the audio.  Usually the receiver will tell you what format it is receiving with the display lights.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:18 am »

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, HDMI is the only connection being used. I rip the audio as passthrough audio, so it is taking the original ac3 audio stream from the DVD. I rip to mkv, and use cccp to playback (so ffdshow audio decoder gets used). I have the volume normalize effect turned on in ffdshow but have made sure that nothing else is ticked (so that the number of channels from the source isnt being messed with).

On the reciever I see FL and FR lit up on the left hand side of the display, and all the 5 channels lit up on the right. So it appears to me that it is taking a stereo input and decoding it to surround. That's what has me worrried, because the source file is definitely surround. When I look at the mixer in ffdshow audio decoder I can see in it's channel matrix that each of the 5 channels is having sound pumped through it (though they are all greyed out because I dont have the mixer turned on).

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 08:52:29 am »

Yes, HDMI is the only connection being used. I rip the audio as passthrough audio, so it is taking the original ac3 audio stream from the DVD. I rip to mkv, and use cccp to playback (so ffdshow audio decoder gets used). I have the volume normalize effect turned on in ffdshow but have made sure that nothing else is ticked (so that the number of channels from the source isnt being messed with).
I'm not expert on this subject, but for that to work, I believe AC3 would need to be passed unmodified to the receiver and decoded there.

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:41:21 am »

Do we really need to turn this on for surround sound output? All of my ripped movies

Wait; this part above is confusing. I thought that whatever you set up in DSP studio pertains only to audio files and not to video files (or the audio in video files should you choose to look at it that way). While the effect might be the same by using DirectShow filters (telling ffdshow to decode your sound and re-matrix it, normalize it, etc or just bitstream it) that should have nothing to do with the settings in DSP studio. Isn't it so?

And yes passthough or bitstreaming  means leaving the sound completely untouched. If you normalize it it's already changed, your receiver gets something else - ffdshow decodes the sound, normalizes it, re-encodes on the fly to whatever you tell it to and pass it to the receiver. The lights on the receiver may still come up as Dolby Digital or Dolby Surround but that doesn't mean the sound is the "original" track anymore.

maid

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 05:36:43 pm »

I would also like help in this area.

I rip my dvd's using mp3 so that I can boost the audio.
I use cccp codecs and it is on passthrough as some of my movies are in Dolby and DTS.
What setting should I use and should I load an AC3 filter.

Thanks in advance

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 05:44:58 pm »

DSP Studio only applies to audio files, not videos or images.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

winniew

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 06:07:42 am »

Interesting new feature, thank you.

With my installation of MC 14.0.119 on XP SP3 I get the following doubled items, I think this is language-dependant.
I have chosen english language, but I think there are some german items 'Lautstärkeanpassung' etc.

gappie

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 07:04:22 am »

Interesting new feature, thank you.

With my installation of MC 14.0.119 on XP SP3 I get the following doubled items, I think this is language-dependant.
I have chosen english language, but I think there are some german items 'Lautstärkeanpassung' etc.
ive seen the same: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52338.0
here is a more recent thread about it: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55256.0

:)
gab

winniew

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 12:57:39 pm »

ive seen the same: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52338.0
here is a more recent thread about it: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55256.0

:)
gab

Thank you gappie for the links.

For me the removing via the plugin manager also worked.

Winnie

Pages: [1]   Go Up