INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA is the new UPnP  (Read 2223 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
DLNA is the new UPnP
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:07:05 am »

We're planning to rename the UPnP Server as a DLNA/UPnP Server.  It's a mouthful.  We may drop UPnP from the name later.

There are several threads on this board and on the Other Hardware board.  Here are two from the hardware board.

DLNA Boxes

DLNA TV's

and a long, general thread:
Xbox, PS3, and DLNA

You may be asking yourself, "Why is this important?  Why all the fuss about DLNA?"  Good question.  The answer is that it provides a standard way to move media and control its playback among devices in a home.  

Protocols like TCP/IP, HTML, and HTTP are the foundation of the Internet.  DLNA is becoming another important standard.

It is very much like UPnP, but it adds some new features and more importantly, hardware vendors have adopted it.

Termminology
1. DMS -- Digital Media Server -- where the media resides

2. DMP -- Digital Media Player -- where the media is played

3. DMR -- Digital Media Renderer -- where media is played, but with ability to respond to a controller

4. DMC -- Digital Media Controller -- software control of the renderer -- functions as a remote

Wiki article on DLNA

Al ex

Re: DLNA is the new UPnP
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:49:04 am »

In conjunction with "Play To" of Windows 7, this seems to be exactly, what I am looking for for a while already:

+ Having all my audio / video in a WiFi network
+ Connect the WiFi network with my HiFi and TV through a WiFi-streaming client with DLNA
+ Make playlist with MC 14 at my Netbook or at any other PC with MC 14 & Win7 within my network. Use all the features & statistics, etc. of MC.
+ "Play To" the playlist to my HiFi or show the DVD at my TV!!

:) :)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:31 pm »

I am using upnp to successfully browse my MC viewschemes on a mac. MC serves out to the mac which is running XBMC. It all works smoothly. It feels good to be able my MC viewschemes without needing to boot into windows first.
One question though. Mkvs won't play. I know that they are not officially supported for upnp but is MC able to serve them anyway? If so then the problem is with Xbmc.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:42:57 am »

Brian,
Bob reads the long thread on Xbox, PS3, and DLNA, but may not find this.  Try posting there.  Someone (jmone?) discusses success and failure with mkv in that thread.

Jim

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 05:16:54 am »

I am looking for a replacament for my Netgear MP101 since ut is not supported by Vista.
Since i want to use it on a spot where no TV is available, it needs to have a small screen of it's own.
Am i looking for a DLNA device or something else?
Any suggestions??
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 08:08:57 am »

I am looking for a replacament for my Netgear MP101 since ut is not supported by Vista.
Since i want to use it on a spot where no TV is available, it needs to have a small screen of it's own.
Am i looking for a DLNA device or something else?
Any suggestions??
Philips makes a couple of DLNA devices like that.  Matt uses the 2500 at home and likes it. 

Yes, DLNA is what you should look for.  There is a thread called DLNA Boxes on our hardware board here.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:52:14 am »

Thnx. I will check that.
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:37:55 pm »

I did a lot of testing using the 2500. It seems very well done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up