INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with playback of .mov files.  (Read 5912 times)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
help with playback of .mov files.
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:01:49 pm »

im a bit fighting with playback of .mov files.
when i set the playback to automatic i get images but no sounds
when i set the playback to j river video engine/direct X i get nothing (played around with haali without succes so far), i have cccp installed.
when set to qt (i have alternative installed) i get sound and images but sound control from mc does not work.

i would prefer to use direct x, is there a way to do that using cccp.

thanks for any help

:)
gab

gappie

Re: help with playback of .mov files.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:23:48 pm »

these files are from my lumix camera.
when i open them in mpc they play fine and everything works 'out of the box'.

this is build 130 btw.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:28:12 pm »

You've probably been here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

If you have QT Alternative, I don't think you set playback to QT.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:38:15 pm »

You've probably been here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

If you have QT Alternative, I don't think you set playback to QT.
yes i did, on both. mc does choose qt when on automatic though. but when i set it, it still does not help, there is sound but soundcontrol does not work, the sound icon says mute is on and cant be switched off, but there is sound, the control bar is flickering badly, as if i set a wrong video renderer, but i can not set that when using qt. and , as i said, mpc using the same qt codec/settings plays it fine, with sound control.

i would rather not use qt, for some reasons, but when it is the only way its fine with me.

gab

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:02:26 pm »

MC plays my HD MOV files just fine.

I do not use Quicktime. I get terrible stuttering with Quicktime.

This is how I have it setup.

Playback Method: JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters)
Source Filter: Automatic
Other Filters: CoreAVC Video Decoder; JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter
Video Renderer: Automatic

Note: I do not get .mov thumbnails in MC with this configuration. To get thumbnails I change the playback method to Quicktime, rebuild my thumbnails, and switch the Playback Method back.

I cannot get .mov thumbnails in explorer. Any suggestions welcome. (I have a Vista PC).

gappie

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 02:59:57 am »

thank you, randy.
ill buy coreavc then. was always curious about that soo..

cant help with the thumbnails in explorer. mine have a qt thumb. im on xp

gab

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:32:58 am »

Mov files are strange.  I guess it depend on which codecs are actually in the mov files.  On XP and earlier systems, Microsoft provided a DirectShow filter called Quicktime Movie Parser.  That and FFDShow video decoder play my mov files (from a digital camera).  This parser filter was removed from Vista and later systems.  I can not play the same mov files in DirectShow on my Vista machine.

Randy,

Can you check which filters are actually loaded during playback and post the graph info?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:34:12 am »

ill buy coreavc then. was always curious about that soo...

I don't think CoreAVC is anyhow more capable than ffdshow in playing various formats. It can decode only H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, which is supported also in ffdshow.

CoreAVC uses less CPU, though, and that's the reason to buy it. For instance, I can play 720p H.264 video files on an old Athlon XP 3200+. It stutters when I try to play the same files using the ffdshow decoder.

You said you have a Lumix camera. What is the exact model? Could you upload a small sample video to some file sharing site? Or perhaps the camera has been reviewed by a camera review site and a sample video is already available.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:40:54 am »

Randy,

Can you check which filters are actually loaded during playback and post the graph info?

Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'DSP Studio Filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: C:\Windows\system32\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'Color Space Converter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_RGB32, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'DSP Studio Filter'
        CLSID: {5AD92EC4-4A7F-4181-AB01-9DC79C4A4EC5}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'Default DirectSound Device'

Filter 'Color Space Converter'
        CLSID: {1643E180-90F5-11CE-97D5-00AA0055595A}
        Host: quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_RGB32, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Output' of filter 'C:\My Document Folder\My Pictures\LA Zoo\2009-12-27\MVI_0017.MOV'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'DSP Studio Filter'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output' of filter 'C:\My Document Folder\My Pictures\LA Zoo\2009-12-27\MVI_0017.MOV'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'Color Space Converter'

Filter 'C:\My Document Folder\My Pictures\LA Zoo\2009-12-27\MVI_0017.MOV'
        CLSID: {E41C6AFE-738D-4A56-957C-C352F41B3275}
        Host: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\clqtsrc.ax
        Output Pin 'Video Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        Output Pin 'Audio Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'

gappie

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 09:34:53 am »

I don't think CoreAVC is anyhow more capable than ffdshow in playing various formats. It can decode only H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, which is supported also in ffdshow.

CoreAVC uses less CPU, though, and that's the reason to buy it. For instance, I can play 720p H.264 video files on an old Athlon XP 3200+. It stutters when I try to play the same files using the ffdshow decoder.

You said you have a Lumix camera. What is the exact model? Could you upload a small sample video to some file sharing site? Or perhaps the camera has been reviewed by a camera review site and a sample video is already available.
i ordered coreavc, guess it is not a bad 'investment' anyway.. ;)
my camera is a panasonic lumix DMC-fs7.
i just uploaded a zip with a 16 seconds mov (hope its not to short). it starts dark.. my wife experimenting with the recording function in a cafe...
hope the clip makes sence..

gab

:-[forgot the link: http://www.gappie.nl/fotos/P1000161.zip

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:39:04 am »

Setting CoreAVC as the decoder for ALL MOV files will break some MOV playback.  A MOV file is just a container, like MP4 or AVI.  It can contain lots of different types of video inside.

In fact, your file Gab does NOT contain AVC/H264 video, so CoreAVC won't help at all.  Your video is M-JPEG compressed.

I'm working on it.  There will be a way to play it via DirectShow.  I just don't know how quite yet.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gappie

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:48:06 am »

Setting CoreAVC as the decoder for ALL MOV files will break some MOV playback.  A MOV file is just a container, like MP4 or AVI.  It can contain lots of different types of video inside.

In fact, your file Gab does NOT contain AVC/H264 video, so CoreAVC won't help at all.  Your video is M-JPEG compressed.

I'm working on it.  There will be a way to play it via DirectShow.  I just don't know how quite yet.
thanks glynor.. i like that: motion jpegs.. thats what they are for me anyway...
thanks for all the help.. everyone in this thread...

gab

gappie

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 11:22:20 am »

apparently there is this morgan codec pack.. feels a bit like a last try..http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/

would be nice in cccp could do it. set mjpeg in ffdshow to libavcodec as suggested in this doom9 thread.. http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-106876.html
but somehow i always seem to lost my way in codec land..

will get it somehow someway to work.. :P

gab

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:58:23 am »

Furthermore, Randy's graph shows that CoreAVC was not even used in the graph.  The crucial piece of filter in his graph is Cyberlink Quicktime Source filter, which not only parsed the file, but also took care of decoding.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 07:46:24 pm »

Damn, that's spooky. Was reading through today's posts on this thread and I see mention of M-JPeg. I was just looking at that today at work. Some security cameras (lots) use that format and I saw the Morgan codec for the first time. I was all set to layoff that hard earned tidbit and you beat me to the punch.... :)

Anyhow, if you need more information on the format, there is lots of stuff in the security camera niche...

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »

Furthermore, Randy's graph shows that CoreAVC was not even used in the graph.  The crucial piece of filter in his graph is Cyberlink Quicktime Source filter, which not only parsed the file, but also took care of decoding.

I heard someone else used CoreAVC to make the mov files play, and the only setting I could find that referred to CoreAVC was under other filters. So I assumed that was my fix.

Playback Method: JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters)
Source Filter: Automatic
Other Filters: CoreAVC Video Decoder; JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter
Video Renderer: Automatic

As it turns out, it must be the automatic setting for source filter that selects Cyberlink Quicktime Source filter that made it work.

Sorry gab if I cost you $7.95.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:10:29 pm »

CoreAVC is worth the $7.95 in my opinion.

I don't think your problem is the codec decoding filter ("other" filter in MC).  I think it is the splitter filter.  MPC-HC plays the files back for me fine here.  MC cannot if I set it to DirectShow mode.  I have "real" Quicktime installed though, not QT-Lite.

gappie

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 03:40:23 pm »

**, that's spooky. Was reading through today's posts on this thread and I see mention of M-JPeg. I was just looking at that today at work. Some security cameras (lots) use that format and I saw the Morgan codec for the first time. I was all set to layoff that hard earned tidbit and you beat me to the punch.... :)

Anyhow, if you need more information on the format, there is lots of stuff in the security camera niche...
i tried the morgan codec today.. did not get far because of the mov container. searched a bit around, but it did get to complicated for me. also had the arcsoftware with all its codecs laying around, it came with the camera. a well...

im just happy that cars are not like videoos. would be undoable all those different tanks at a gas station.

i have something that works a bit.. guess that will be it for now... thanks again to all.. learned a lot again.

gab

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 05:37:20 pm »

I got an answer for you, Gab.  Kinda....

A company called Medialooks has a QuickTime DirectShow Source filter.  It is free and it is available here: http://www.medialooks.com/products/plugins/quicktime_plugin.html

Obnoxiously, they do require you to "register" before you can download the filter.  However, since they give you immediate access (you don't need to "check you email" to verify anything), you can lie with all of your answers to their registration questions.

You do need to have either Quicktime official or QT Lite installed for this to work.  You already said you had QT Light (aka Quicktime Alternative) though, so you should be good.  I tested it with your file just now and it works perfectly.  You just set MC's playback mode for Quicktime files to DirectShow, and then select the new Medialooks QT Source as your Source Filter.  You can leave Other Filters set to blank (JRiver bitrate only) and it should auto-select the appropriate codec decoder.

However, the reason I said "kinda" though is this...

Currently the QuickTime Plugin will work with Windows Media Player, Winamp, BS.Player, Media Player Classic, KM Player and Zoom Player. For other applications a MediaLooks logo will be displayed. We are open to adding support to other, preferrably (sic) non-commercial, applications by request (please contact us).

I checked it.  It works, but it does display their logo, which sucks.  I looked in the options, but there is no way to turn it off.  According to the quote above, JRiver could possibly contact them and get them to "support" MC, and then there wouldn't be a logo.  However, they say "preferably non-commercial", so who knows what they want out of the deal.  I looked, and there doesn't seem to be a way to pay for it or anything and remove the logo (which is odd).

gappie

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 02:31:39 am »

thanks a lot glynor. this works indeed. very nice... except for that logo ofcource. maybe as a user of a commercial product one can also ask to add support.  :)

gab

gappie

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 05:29:01 pm »

im not to keen on pasting mail info in a forum, but since that medialook plug works nicely, and is , ofcource interesting as it puts the files into the directx domain, with all the extra that gives  ;), and the mails are not like 'personal'.. here part of my mail exchange with medialook, because as a user only, its a bit much... ;)

hello, i want to thank you for the quicktime plugin. im using it succesfully with j. river media center http://www.jrmediacenter.com/ and, altough im just a user, i would like to ask if it would be possible to add j. river to the list of supperted players and remove the medialooks logo when playing. or is there an other way a user can get 'a full working version'.

thanks
gab
Hello Gab,

thank you for your mail.

In order to activate your copy of the filter you can purchase a license assigned to the .exe of your player.

Please find the license pricing info below, I also pasted a link to an FAQ explaining the license formula:

Quicktime DirectShow Source Filter single application license: 750,00 Euro

http://www.medialooks.com/sales/licensing_faq/what_are_single_developer_and_single_application_licenses.html

Important: the license for the filter is not limited in time and also does not limit the number of copies you redistribute redistribute (royalty-free). Also, 1 year of full suppport and updates is included- after one year you can prolong that subscription for 50% of the full price.

We can issue the license immediately upon receiving your payment, for this we send license files to your emailaddress that unlock the software.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 05:35:00 pm »

Ha ha ha... So that IS their deal.  They're trying to sell it as a technology to developers, not directly to end-users.

gappie

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 05:49:39 pm »

yes  :)... redistributable software. and not even that bad a price , i guess. 750 euros timelless, etc.. that is what the other players payed also? zoom and windows? guess when i find 100 people to pay me 10$ i could buy it and get drunk 1 night in the pub, and mc would be on the list...  ;D

nah.. no change.

gab

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 06:20:19 pm »

Ha ha!  I would like to be there.

The price isn't unreasonable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up