INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PvdImport Test log V  (Read 14133 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
PvdImport Test log V
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:32:51 pm »

This is a beta version of PvdImport, so install at your own risk!

Download the beta version here

I suggest you backup your MC database before you install PvdImport:

YOU SHOULD UNINSTALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF PvdImport BEFORE INSTALLING THE LATEST VERSION.

o Fixed: Well, at least an attempt to fix DVD handling in MC.
o Change: "Mass Import", "Auto Import", "One Shot" are now buttons that show state of operation
o Fixed: Default installationpath is now MC15

o Fixed: "plug-in 'PvdImport' is not the correct version". Installer problem related to MC 15

o Fixed: AutoUpdate error: Value of '101' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'
o Changed: PvdImportFieldConfig_default.xml field Date (Year) -> Date (year)
o Fixed: Use DB name for field test as opposed to display name.
o Changed: A few more log output lines, activated when "Details" is selected.

o Fixed: Selecting/Deselecting MassImport, AutoImport, OneShot, now seem to work.
o New: PvdImport can now test to see if all fields (not selected as "Ignored") exist before an import session starts.
o New: If fields don't exist, PvdImport can create them for you.
o New: "Test Field" checkbox can deselect testing/creating new fields dialog.

o Improved: One checkbox per import function: Mass Import, Auto Import, One Shot. You can stop import by unchecking checkbox
o Changed: Use .net framework 3.5
o Internal: Renamed variables.
o Improved: The auto import thread is now driven cyclically by yet another thread.
o Improved: Process queues now use mc file objects directly. This means an improvement in processing time (since the number of file searches is drastically reduced).
o New: "Details" checkbox. When selected, auto import/one shot will log significantly more data.
o New: New DLL, Communication.dll will show up in installation folder. Replaces older util.dll .

rick.ca

Re: PvdImport Test log V
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:31:52 pm »

Installing this on top of an existing installation doesn't work. MC would not find/recognize the plugin. I had to uninstall, delete the installation directory, reinstall and then set it to "show" in the MC plugin manager.

Exceptions occurred when I tried to set the database and cover art directories. I had to restart MC and then paste the paths into their fields.

None of the checkboxes seem to work consistently. In most cases, I could only get a setting to "stick" by restarting MC. Often the settings would not be the same after restarting, suggesting the appearance of a checkmark does not necessarily mean anything. That makes it frustrating if not impossible to test any of the those functions. :-\

raldo

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:32:15 am »

Installing this on top of an existing installation doesn't work.
[...]
None of the checkboxes seem to work consistently.
Yes, I expected some trouble. But I wanted to help pos in solving his issues, thus the premature release...

raldo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:43:20 pm »

o Fixed: Selecting/Deselecting MassImport, AutoImport, OneShot, now seem to work.
o New: PvdImport can now test to see if all fields (not selected as "Ignored") exist before an import session starts.
o New: If fields don't exist, PvdImport can create them for you.
o New: "Test Field" checkbox can deselect testing/creating new fields dialog.

YOU SHOULD UNINSTALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF PvdImport BEFORE INSTALLING THIS VERSION.

To make this plugin work for MC 15, it seems as if you have to reinstall AFTER MC15 was installed.

raldo

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:05:57 pm »

This isn't working with MC15 yet...

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:05:20 am »

Updating using "Send To" works, but any attempt to auto update produces the error: AutoUpdate error: Value of '101' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'. Deleting and recreating the ModDate field and then running "Mass Import" again made no difference.

"Test Fields" incorrectly reports that Date (year) does not exist in MC.

raldo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:26:20 am »

Updating using "Send To" works, but any attempt to auto update produces the error: AutoUpdate error: Value of '101' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'. Deleting and recreating the ModDate field and then running "Mass Import" again made no difference.
Yes, I realized this after posting.

"Test Fields" incorrectly reports that Date (year) does not exist in MC.
I saw that. Is Date (Year) "special" in some way? All other fields seem to (as far as I can see) work...

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:26 am »

Work for me with MC14 and doesn't work/install with MC15

About new fields check - I create all my fields before and change display name for it, now its make one mistake with fields check:

my field examples:

Name: .Original Title
Display Name: Original Title

or

Name: .Country
Display Name: Country  (and xCountry - display name for stock field, because I don't use it).

So, I see that PVDImport use Name field for data import, but Display Name - for DB fields check and for ModDate.
as result, now PVDImport after fields test say what I don't have .fields in my DB, but I have )

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 02:50:26 pm »

Is Date (Year) "special" in some way?

Yes, but not in this context. I think morrison has identified the problem.

Date (year) is a calculated field that returns or sets the year in Date. I use it to work around the fact PVD and MC dates are not in compatible formats. Since PVD records Year separately (as four digits), I can write that to Date (year). Doing so changes the year in Date. That messes up Date (because the existing month and day are not changed), but I only use it to display the year (via Date (year)).

If it's possible, I'd rather convert rdate (release date) in an SQL expression to a format that could be saved directly in Date. I could then use that to display the full release date, while still using Date (year) to display the year.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »

If it's possible, I'd rather convert rdate (release date) in an SQL expression to a format that could be saved directly in Date. I could then use that to display the full release date, while still using Date (year) to display the year.

Since I started a tangent, I may as well finish it...

I realized before SUBSTRING could be used to modify the value passed to MC, but dates must be in the same numeric format used by MC. Although strings in various formats (e.g., "DD/MM/YY") can be saved manually, the MC UI is converting these to a numeric value. I don't know if it's possible to do the same with an SQL expression. After posting the above, however, I realized I could get the year, month and day separately from rdate, and save those using Date (year)/(month)/(day). In other words...

McFieldPvdExpression
Date (year)Select Substring(MOVIES."rdate" from 1 for 4) From MOVIES Where MOVIES."mid"=@id
Date (month)     Select Substring(MOVIES."rdate" from 6 for 2) From MOVIES Where MOVIES."mid"=@id
Date (day)Select Substring(MOVIES."rdate" from 9 for 2) From MOVIES Where MOVIES."mid"=@id

Thus the full release date is properly saved in Date, and Date (year) (display name "Year") can still be used to display just the year.

Perhaps this should replace the .Release date custom field currently in the default configuration, and PVD's Year be saved in a custom field instead of Date (year). Since no one is complaining about Year being saved in Date, it should be safe to assume no one is using Date for some other purpose.

BTW, saving rdate in Date and Year in .Year seems redundant, but the release date retrieved by PVD's IMDb plugin can retrieve a release date that not the earliest—and therefore can be in the following year. So I think it's best to offer both and let the user decide to manage that anomaly.

raldo

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 04:19:49 am »

YOU SHOULD UNINSTALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF PvdImport BEFORE INSTALLING THE LATEST VERSION.

o Fixed: AutoUpdate error: Value of '101' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'
o Changed: PvdImportFieldConfig_default.xml field Date (Year) -> Date (year)
o Fixed: Use DB name for field test as opposed to display name.
o Changed: A few more log output lines, activated when "Details" is selected.

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 12:32:02 pm »

Attempting to use Send To consistently causes MC to crash immediately...

Code: [Select]
0028564: 6468: General: RunProgram: Filename: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 15\Plugins\PvdImport\PvdImportContextMenu.exe / Parameters: "D:\Video\Movies\Casablanca (1942) 8.8 #9.avi"
0028564: 6468: General: RunProgram: Performing ShellExecute...
0028564: 6468: General: RunProgram: Running process...
0028579: 6468: General: RunProgram: Finish (15 ms)
0028579: 6468: Database: CMJSearchHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Audio] -[Web Media URL]=[]; Elapsed ms: 0.219
0028579: 6468: Database: CMJSearchHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Audio]; Elapsed ms: 0.109
0028579: 6468: Database: CMJSearchHelper::GetResults: Search: [media type]=audio; Elapsed ms: 0.106
0028579: 6468: Database: CMJSearchHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Audio],[Video]; Elapsed ms: 0.120
0028579: 6468: Database: CMJSearchHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Video]; Elapsed ms: 0.119
0028642: 6484: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0028642: 6484: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 0, wParam: 0, lParam: 0, Window class:

...and AutoImport fails...

Code: [Select]
10:21:24 AM - Auto Import Cyclic started...
10:21:24 AM - Auto Import Cyclic Getting Files from MC..
10:21:24 AM - AutoUpdate error: Unable to cast COM object of type 'MediaCenter.MCAutomationClass' to interface type 'MediaCenter.IMJAutomation'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{BF9EA151-B5FE-4A06-A6B3-3687D6609037}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
10:21:24 AM -
10:21:24 AM - Auto Import Cyclic ended...

raldo

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 12:39:51 pm »

Doubly weird. They both work on my system...

Do you see the same behavior on 14 and 15`?

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 05:01:37 pm »

No, I tried it in 15 only.

raldo

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 03:20:05 am »

o Fixed: "plug-in 'PvdImport' is not the correct version". Installer problem related to MC 15

raldo

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 03:28:46 am »

[/quote

Rick.ca, I just installed 1.3.3 and it works on both mc14 and mc15 for me.

I've seen the exception you're reporting on my system, and it turned out that the MediaCenter com interface was somehow broken. This was caused by the plugin installer. I suspect that 1.3.2 does this.

The solution is to reinstall mc so that the mc com interface is reinstalled. You shouldn't have to uninstall (and remove registry, db, etc) just reinstall over your current install...

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 05:46:21 pm »

The solution is to reinstall mc so that the mc com interface is reinstalled.

That seems to fixed that problem. Now on to other issues...

This one seems innocent, but it makes things very confusing. If Auto Import is set and the program restarted, the check mark is cleared but Auto Import is still engaged.

Checking @ Startup doesn't seem to have any effect when the program is restarted. The log indicates One Shot is run immediately on startup, but ends in the same second (and known changes are not detected). One Shot then works if started manually, but that requires selecting it, clearing it and selecting it again to get it started. Thereafter, it works properly (starts when checked, stops when unchecked). Even if @ Startup worked, it should run only after a delay sufficient for MC to import any new files.

Check boxes are normally used for static settings, not for on/off controls. It would be less confusing to provide radio buttons for choosing one import type (including @ Startup), plus a more obvious control that would start/stop the chosen import (perhaps a button that changes state, like the MC play/pause button).

Text is not visible in the Noire Glass skin. All other skins I have installed are fine, so it must be a "glass thing."

Some tooltips are missing, and others are mis-matched.

A reminder to save the field configuration (if changed) on exit would be nice.

raldo

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 04:06:12 am »

Even if @ Startup worked, it should run only after a delay sufficient for MC to import any new files.

How should one know when to start after startup? MC seems kinda slow wrt auto import sometimes, so that a user delay (edit box) would be... flaky. Such a delay might have to be set for several (tens?) of minutes in my experience. Is it just my feeling, or is autoimport less aggressive in MC15 and later versions of MC14?

MC doesn't provide any information (or events) in the plugin API  that new files have been added either.

rick.ca

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 07:00:50 am »

How should one know when to start after startup? MC seems kinda slow wrt auto import sometimes, so that a user delay (edit box) would be... flaky.

Use the same delay as Auto Import. Only one import method at a time can be used anyway. So far, it seems MC auto imports fairly quickly—both on startup and whenever a change is made. With a user-set delay, at least there's a chance it can be set so it works properly if this is not the case. And if the delay is long and/or inconsistent, that method won't be very useful anyway.

I've found another issue. When I move a file to a different directory and update PVD, the new record is not being updated in MC. After I update it using Send To, the moddate is still not set—so no subsequent changes are detected.

rick.ca

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 05:39:53 pm »

I've found another issue. When I move a file to a different directory and update PVD, the new record is not being updated in MC. After I update it using Send To, the moddate is still not set—so no subsequent changes are detected.

Never mind. I think the problem was the file was being imported as Data. I've changed my import rule so those will be included.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 12:24:31 pm »

not really important, but installation directory defaults to MC14 and not MC15.  This may be just because I have 14 and 15 installed?

rick.ca

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 01:16:01 am »

Never mind. I think the problem was the file was being imported as Data. I've changed my import rule so those will be included.

I take that back. ::)

May that was the problem with that file, but new files are still not being updated. I can only do so using Send To.

raldo

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 06:07:02 am »

May that was the problem with that file, but new files are still not being updated. I can only do so using Send To.
Yes, I noted something similar yesterday. I'll look into it...

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 11:35:59 am »

ups - now againg doesn't find dvd in MC, if I use "Send to PvdImport"

MC 15.0.23 PvdImport 1.3.3

15:28:14 - Start Logging...Could not find file in MC..Could not find file in MC..Could not find file in MC..Could not find file in MC..

But ok with auto or mass import

raldo

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 03:00:34 pm »

ups - now againg doesn't find dvd in MC, if I use "Send to PvdImport"

MC 15.0.23 PvdImport 1.3.3

15:28:14 - Start Logging...Could not find file in MC..Could not find file in MC..Could not find file in MC..Could not find file in MC..

But ok with auto or mass import

Ok, I'll look into this too when I find time. Busy days...

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 12:45:32 pm »

Hi raldo and thanks for a very useful plugin. I have a little problem though.

How do I import poster as a cover art used in MC? When I try to import movie data from PVD to MC and PVDImport is trying to make image file to my MC cover art folder I'm always getting log text "could not find file in PVD".
This used to work fine with the ancient version of PVDImport I had before.

rick.ca

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 12:31:26 am »

I'm always getting log text "could not find file in PVD".

In my experience, this message always means what it says. It doesn't matter whether it images or text, the plugin cannot access information in the PVD database unless the filename in MC is exactly the same as that in PVD. If you can determine why this is the case, the solution to the problem should be apparent.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 12:34:24 am »

hi raldo,

i have had a couple of cases where I have had pvd drop out while getting posters from amazon etc and it continues to make the screenshots as I have asked.  pvdimport and mc are too quick and off they go and import the screenshot.  i then go and get the poster but pvdimport will only bring in the first screenshot and not the new poster.  is there a way for you to get the poster instead.

i have had a few movies where the media subtype is set correctly in the pvdimport dialog, but it isn't actually updated in MC.  this is odd? just me?

thanks
craig

mc 15.0.27 and a recent pvdimport (how do i tell which version I am using)

rick.ca

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 02:29:39 am »

is there a way for you to get the poster instead.

PvdImport will select the "default poster" if one has been set. Click the paper clip icon on a poster to set it as the default.

raldo

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 05:05:28 am »

i have had a few movies where the media subtype is set correctly in the pvdimport dialog, but it isn't actually updated in MC.  this is odd? just me?
Well, If you're importing to MC's default "Media Sub Type" then there may be issues where the PvdImport text doesn't match the built in MC lis of texts. I seem to remember that there was an issue in the PvdImport SQL statement where a double pipe "||" had to be added to circumvent this. Check out the PvdImport release thread...

mc 15.0.27 and a recent pvdimport (how do i tell which version I am using)

See the MC plugin manager.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 06:58:50 pm »

thanks once again rick and raldo.  the media sub type was the padded space at the end of the word movie.  for some reason i had thought that I put the new query in, but maybe forgot to save?  posters are now all good also.

craig

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 06:05:51 am »

Hi Raldo,

I had a couple of movies whose name came up as VIDEO_TS (these are ripped dvd's).  When I right clicked and sent to pvdimport, nothing happened.  Message in pvdimport shows "Could not find file in MC".  Send to pvdimport works fine with other files.

Somehow I do have a lot of information populated from PVD, it is only the name which is not right.

Not really important for me, just thought I would pass on peculiarity.

craig

rick.ca

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 12:19:18 pm »

I don't have many DVD rips and I haven't added any recently, so I have no idea when this started, but none of them work now. None of them will play either ("DVD playback error"), so it must be a MC issue. Maybe this report is of the same thing. :-\

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 03:42:20 pm »

mine appear to play on double click within mc, but i do get a splash screen for a few seconds/minutes that says, "this video has been removed" and then the menu comes up. though i guess this might have been the ripping software inserting something?
craig

rick.ca

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 07:20:04 pm »

My not being able to play them is a different issue, but I think I've established PvdImport's handing of DVD's was broken by changes in build 18. All my VIDEO_TS.dvd;1 files updated properly using build 17; all failed in 18. The possibly relevant changes in this build were:

1. Changed: Reworked how physical DVDs are imported so that their file naming more closely matches ripped DVDs.
2. Fixed: Physical DVDs could fail to show playable files (only applies to last few builds).
3. Changed: Improved support for DVD collections that don't use 'VIDEO_TS' folders.
4. Fixed: Doing a right-click 'Import Into Library' could fail for physical DVD files. (command is also now several times faster)
5. Changed: Deleting a ripped DVD from disk inside Media Center will correctly remove all the IFO, VOB, and BUP files.

I trust raldo can pick this up from here. It might help if others could confirm the problem. It seems it must be the same issue morrison reported—a month ago. I'm curious why we're not getting more reports of this. Is it affecting only 1.3.x?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 06:00:19 am »

I'm afraid I can't offer much as I don't have any DVD files on disk to test with! The original problem came about because MC appends that ;1... Is that still the case?

rick.ca

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »

The original problem came about because MC appends that ;1... Is that still the case?

I can only guess that whatever raldo did to get the plugin to accept the DVD;1 pseudo file as a match for IFO/VOB has been broken by something changed in this build. :-\

rick.ca

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 05:18:07 pm »

...new files are still not being updated. I can only do so using Send To.

...I think I've established PvdImport's handing of DVD's was broken by changes in build 18...

bump

raldo

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 02:53:18 pm »

bump

Busy days. Not only that, summer days...

In the meantime, what exactly are the changes in handling dvd's? I'm still seeing "dvd;1" files?

rick.ca

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 04:34:45 pm »

All I know is...

All my VIDEO_TS.dvd;1 files updated properly using build 17; all failed in 18.

The files are still denoted by "dvd;1", but attempting to update them results in the PvdImport error "Could not find file in MC."

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 04:54:16 am »

PvdImport "could not be found or created" with .64-65 MC bulids. I was try reinstall, check registry etc, but with no result.

Anyone have some troubles?

Thanks

update: works fine after reboot )

raldo

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 04:37:42 pm »

o Fixed: Well, at least an attempt to fix DVD handling in MC.
o Change: "Mass Import", "Auto Import", "One Shot" are now buttons that show state of operation
o Fixed: Default installationpath is now MC15

Server crash, application development PC crash. Pew!

rick.ca

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 06:42:43 pm »

Yes! Auto Import now works. Thanks! :)

DVD media can be updated using Send to, but are still not recognized by Auto Import. Would that be the difference between "fixed" and "an attempt to fix"? ;)

The buttons are nice. Hopefully users will readily understand they're on/off toggles. Yes, it should be obvious—but something like "Mass Import" is much less intimidating once you realize a second click will stop it instantly. The result is they're all quite safe, and tell you exactly what's happening. 8)

The @ Startup option still doesn't seem to do anything. The log indicates One Shot starting immediately after the plugin has loaded, and then immediately stopping. I believe what it should be doing is waiting for the specified interval (so MC's auto import has time to run), and then running One Shot. If it does so, it would also be helpful if the One Shot button indicated an "on" state from startup until it's finished—mainly as a reminder it is set and will run once the interval has past.

flac.rules

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2011, 09:08:46 am »

I tired to install PVDimport now, but i get a problem, the log states the following:

Access to the C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\PvdImport\PVDimportconfiguration.xml is denied

I guess its because newer windows-version doesn't like it when you rte to the program-files, directory? But how can this be fixed?

minolotus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2011, 10:02:49 am »

Jep, this is caused by missing access rights.

Is the load button (top left corner) available? If so, go to the mentioned folder and copy the “PVDimportconfiguration.xml” file to a folder for which you have full access rights (e.g. under mydocuments). Then click the load button and select the copied file instead of the original copy.

If you can’t load a file because of the error message, you could change the access rights of the file to full access for all users (right click on the file – securities). Restart MC after this.

flac.rules

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 05:21:40 pm »

Thanks, that fixed that problem, but I am still not quite on friendly terms with the plugin it seems. The FAQ states the following:

4.1 PvdImport Test

o Press "set file" and select one of your video files that you know exists in the PVD database.
o Press "test" (Warning: pressing "Test will update your library too)
o The fields in the "SqlResult" should now be populated by data.

------------------
4.2 PvdImport from the MC tree

o Select one or several files (Currently, about 50 files is the maximum you can update in one batch)
o Right click and navigate to "Send to external" in the context menu
o PvdImport should already be an entry in this menu.
o After you have selected "PvdImport", the fields of your selected files should be populated with data.

However i cannot find a "set file" button. And furthermore, I cannot find the "pvdimport"-entry in the set to external context menu. The mass import seems to be there. But i Would rather not use that for testing the plugin :)

rick.ca

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 12:44:57 am »

However i cannot find a "set file" button.

The FAQ has not been updated. The "set file" button no longer exists. Use the search criteria box to enter whatever expression you like. For testing, that could be the [Name] of one specific video.

I cannot find the "pvdimport"-entry in the set to external context menu.

Your should be able to add it yourself...

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\PvdImport\PvdImportContextMenu.exe
Parameter: "[filename]"

flac.rules

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 11:53:29 am »

Thanks, that really helped out, I didn't even know it was possible to add en extra external command, that might be useful for the future. After struggling abit I think I have set up everything correctly, but I am still slightly confused about the workflow here. First of all I am not able to run both PVD, and MC with the PVD-plugin at the same time (I guess thats normal). So one would have to first import all movies to PVD (using IMDB and amazon-plugin), and then later run the plugin? Thats OK, but how do one manage new files in an easy way? Do you have to manually add them in PVD each time? I am also abit confused about what "auto-import" in the plugin does? Does it search using the search criteria in your MC-library?

Also, to get custom files based on folder-name, I guess I would have to learn some regular expressions.

minolotus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2011, 02:46:31 pm »

First of all I am not able to run both PVD, and MC with the PVD-plugin at the same time (I guess thats normal)

No, it is possible to run both programs together. You need to open the database in PVD via “connect as server”? The string is [computername], colon and [Path+databasefile].

After struggling abit I think I have set up everything correctly, but I am still slightly confused about the workflow here.

First of all, you should turn on the auto-import  of PvDImport (and keep it on). Thereby PvdImport checks regularly if new data has been added to PVD or if data has been changed. Therefore you don't need to start the import process manually. The auto-import setting makes sure that the data in MC are up-to-date, i.e. are identical to the data in PVD. (Before you turn on the auto-import of PvdImort, you should make a library backup in case of something goes wrong).

My workflow is as following: Firstly, I import new files to PVD with “tools – scan folders for new files“. To get good results you should adjust the RegExp-Expression so that they match with the structure of your path or filename. If you have difficulties with RegExp you may ask at the PVD forum. There are some guys who have understood how this is working. secondly, after you have imported the files you could use the different scripts at PVD to import the information from imdb, allrovi, thetvdb...

The last step is to import the files in MC (This is not necessary if you use the auto-import in background function of MC). PvdImport will automatically import the information for the new files from PVD into MC (If I remember right, the connection between the entries in MC and PVD is done via the path and name of the files. If the modification date in PVD is not identical to the .moddate field, PvdImport imports the data and updates the .moddate field. So, PvdImport recognises it also if you change the data in PVD later.)

rick.ca

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2011, 03:55:36 pm »

No, it is possible to run both programs together.

Good answer, but this first bit could use clarification. Both programs (or any number of clients) can be connected to the database at the same time. That's the point of using Firebird Server. As you say, PVD must be connected to the database. If the database is opened, the database cannot be accessed by PvdImport. Connected, the only conflict you might notice is PvdImport cannot update the currently selected record in PVD. It will normally do so as soon as the record is released.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up