INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double click playback behavior  (Read 3738 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Double click playback behavior
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:11:53 am »

1. I would like the "recently played"-playlist/function to eork in a different way, I want to be able to double click on a song, and it jumps back to that song in the current playing-now list, instead of just nuking the whole playing-now list. In a releated note, the same goes for podcasts and similar, i would like to be able to configure the "play"-button to add the podcast to playing now, instead of just clearing the playing now list. In general i seldom want to clear playing now without doint it explicitly, and playlists, podcasts, recently played and so on is not very friendly to this way to do things.

2. I would still like a "jump to random song in playing-now" button, so i don't have to randomise the whole list. That makes it much easier to just jump to a random song, and if its good, listen to the whole album.

On a related note, I justed wanted to say that i purchased MC15, not because the new features as of today are all that interesting to me, but because you continually develop and listen to the community, so I'm sure it will be very good by the end of its "lifetime", keep up the good work guys!

rick.ca

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:51:05 am »

I want to be able to double click on a song, and it jumps back to that song in the current playing-now list, instead of just nuking the whole playing-now list.

Double-click behaviour is already configurable.

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:14:32 pm »

Ok, so how do i configure it to have the behavior i have decribed?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 03:06:10 pm »

Elvis,
Please start a new thread.

Options has a search in the upper right corner.

... I justed wanted to say that i purchased MC15, not because the new features as of today are all that interesting to me, but because you continually develop and listen to the community ...

Thanks!

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:09:37 pm »

Please start a new thread.

Options has a search in the upper right corner.
My point is that the normal double-click behaviour does not do anything at all about the feature I have suggested. I don't want to get my request dismissed because of a misunderstanding, but I asked just to be sure, in case there was some option I have missed.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:49:36 pm »

Ok, so how do i configure it to have the behavior i have decribed?

Select the behaviour you want at Options - General - Behaviour - Double-click.

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:54:33 am »

Select the behaviour you want at Options - General - Behaviour - Double-click.
Thanks for the help, but as I suspected, there is a misunderstanding. I want to change the behavior of the "recently played" smartlist, and podcasts and similar when you press the button wich has "play" written on it. Double click behaviour doesn't do anything for those two things, it only changes behaviour for double-clicking files outside MC.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:22:59 am »

Double click behaviour doesn't do anything for those two things, it only changes behaviour for double-clicking files outside MC.

You are mistaken. The double-click behaviour settings do exactly what they say they will do—to files inside MC. That includes files in playlists and podcast feeds. Double-clicking on files outside of MC will open files associated with MC. That is a Windows behaviour that has nothing to do with these settings.

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:23:14 am »

You are mistaken. The double-click behaviour settings do exactly what they say they will do—to files inside MC. That includes files in playlists and podcast feeds. Double-clicking on files outside of MC will open files associated with MC. That is a Windows behaviour that has nothing to do with these settings.

Sorry, my mistake, but the point still remains, for the behavior i want, that doesn't help 1. Double cliking on a file in the recently played list will not jump back to that file in playing now. 2. Pressing the play button wipes out the whole playlist, and there seems to be no way to cahnge the behavior.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 02:20:11 pm »

Sorry, my mistake, but the point still remains, for the behavior i want, that doesn't help 1. Double cliking on a file in the recently played list will not jump back to that file in playing now. 2. Pressing the play button wipes out the whole playlist, and there seems to be no way to cahnge the behavior.

1. So you want a new double-click behaviour that jumps to the same file, rather than adding another instance to PN—presumably so the list can be replayed from that point. But what if the file is no longer in PN? Are you sure you would want to give up the ability to add items by double-clicking? Why not just go to PN and restart playing wherever you like?

2. "Play" obviously means "play the list". If you want to add items to PN, double-click them. That, of course, won't work if you insist on changing the double-click behaviour to something else. ;)

flac.rules

Re: Double click playback behavior
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »

1. So you want a new double-click behaviour that jumps to the same file, rather than adding another instance to PN—presumably so the list can be replayed from that point. But what if the file is no longer in PN? Are you sure you would want to give up the ability to add items by double-clicking? Why not just go to PN and restart playing wherever you like?

2. "Play" obviously means "play the list". If you want to add items to PN, double-click them. That, of course, won't work if you insist on changing the double-click behaviour to something else. ;)

1. Well, frankly the ideal would be a recently played now implementation that wasn't a playlist, but more something along the lines on how other programs handles recently played, so you don't have to change double-click behavior in the entire program. But yeah, a "play from playing now, if not in playing now, add" would be useful too. Actually on second though, that feature would be very nice to use everywhere.

2. Obviously or not, the natural thing to do is press the button labeled "play", or select a song and press the normal play button. Both options wipes the playing now list. To add files i have to selct them all, right click and choose "add to playlist", wich is a bit of a hassle.

I guess the root of the problem is that i use too have my lists with most or all of my songs in the playing-now list, similar too how other mediaplayers work, I rarley want to clear playing now, I want to keep the list populated with all my audiofiles. And the program is not all that suited for this kind of use, its very easy to do the "natural" button-presses and wipe the whole list. Not saying that everybody should do it lik me, but it would be nice to have some options that makes the problem abit more "freindly" to the "everything in the playing now"-style of listening to music :)

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 01:01:59 am »

It's called Playing Now because it's meant for what you're playing NOW—not your entire library! Don't you use other library and playlist views to manage and view your collection? ?

flac.rules

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:15:55 am »

It's called Playing Now because it's meant for what you're playing NOW—not your entire library! Don't you use other library and playlist views to manage and view your collection? ?

I quite often want my entire collection to bein playing now, why wouldn't i?If i listen to random songs, its better to have all the songs there, if i listen to a particular song or album, its often better for it to just continue in my collection, I rarely listen to a single album/track, or a small group of them, and want playback to just stop,or repat itself after that. This is pretty similar to how other progams do it. One of JRMCs strong sides isits high flexibility. I understand that you do it differently, but this is the way I prefer to do it, no matter what it is meant for or not, I think the program would be better if morefelxibility in this regard was possible.

AtW

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 05:50:31 am »

I think the program would be better if morefelxibility in this regard was possible.

Well, that seems to be a popular misconception—commonly held by those who tend to assume if a program doesn't behave in exactly the way they think it should, it must be too rigid. The truth is it's a delicate balance. Yes, accommodating different needs is a good thing, but behaviours that make little sense to most users, even if just options, contribute to the overall complexity of the program.

There are many different options and alternative ways of doing things that would go a long way in accommodating your preference for "playing" your entire collection. But it seems you're making choices incompatible with that choice, then claiming the program should work differently. For example, if you really are playing your entire collection and wanting to keep it all in PN, then it doesn't make any sense to be using and double-clicking tracks in a recently played smartlist. Everything that is "recently played" is already in PN, which can be sorted by date/time played if it isn't already. So if you want to replay something recently played and have the list resume at that point, you could do that much more effectively by staying in PN. The "double-click behaviour" doesn't apply there, so you can use that to start any track at will. And there are a several double-click options for adding more files to PN.

You suggest some play buttons should be configurable (like the double-click options), but those same options are available on the context menu—which will apply to whatever files are selected. There is no need to change the already obvious function of a play button when all the less obvious options you might require are available on the context menu.

I'm not suggesting there are not better ways to do things, or that more options shouldn't be allowed. But the case isn't made when the flexibility that's already there is overlooked.

flac.rules

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 06:06:09 am »

Well, that seems to be a popular misconception—commonly held by those who tend to assume if a program doesn't behave in exactly the way they think it should, it must be too rigid. The truth is it's a delicate balance. Yes, accommodating different needs is a good thing, but behaviours that make little sense to most users, even if just options, contribute to the overall complexity of the program.

There are many different options and alternative ways of doing things that would go a long way in accommodating your preference for "playing" your entire collection. But it seems you're making choices incompatible with that choice, then claiming the program should work differently. For example, if you really are playing your entire collection and wanting to keep it all in PN, then it doesn't make any sense to be using and double-clicking tracks in a recently played smartlist. Everything that is "recently played" is already in PN, which can be sorted by date/time played if it isn't already. So if you want to replay something recently played and have the list resume at that point, you could do that much more effectively by staying in PN. The "double-click behaviour" doesn't apply there, so you can use that to start any track at will. And there are a several double-click options for adding more files to PN.

You suggest some play buttons should be configurable (like the double-click options), but those same options are available on the context menu—which will apply to whatever files are selected. There is no need to change the already obvious function of a play button when all the less obvious options you might require are available on the context menu.

I'm not suggesting there are not better ways to do things, or that more options shouldn't be allowed. But the case isn't made when the flexibility that's already there is overlooked.

It's also a popular misconception that the way the developers like to do things are the best for the users in all cases. Please do not make assumptions about how I think about programs, my statement was nothing of the sorts that "more options is always better", I said "I thnk the program would be better if more flexibility in this regard was possible". Everyone who suggest changes "claims the program should work differently".

Sorting after playtime is a good tips, I was not aware that this option existed. Although this sorting to one style and back again is a bit sub-otpimal due to the time it takes on  large lists, it is a good tip, I will check it out later.

Frankly, for me, it would be more obvius if double-cliking and playing did similar things, playing the files, but adding them to the playing now list.And i have friends who do the sam mistake.

I think I have been pretty clear on that the problem is that having all or most songs in the pplaying now is more of a a hassle then it could be, not impossible. I don't feel I  have overlooked existing otpions (except sorting playing now by play data)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 07:01:45 am »

These Behavior settings might not provide exactly what you requested, but close:

-- Stays in the "recently imported" list (if you are there), adds the double-clicked file to Playing Now (doesn't clear the PN list) and plays the file.

Personally I use these settings:

I prefer to not interrupt the currently playing list when a file is double-clicked. When I want to start playback immediately I use "right-click > Play" or "right-click > More Play Options".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

flac.rules

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 07:43:37 am »

Thanks for the tip Alex, but I have already activated theese options and used them a while.

rick.ca

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 03:02:55 pm »

Frankly, for me, it would be more obvius if double-cliking and playing did similar things, playing the files, but adding them to the playing now list.And i have friends who do the sam mistake.

So, aren't you asking that the program, at the expense of other users, be made less flexible in order that it behave in a manner that is more "obvious" to you? It's not more obvious to those not using the unusual "play library" paradigm you're using.  I'm still waiting for a suggestion of a feasible change that would improve your experience—without adversely affecting that of others.

2. I would still like a "jump to random song in playing-now" button, so i don't have to randomise the whole list. That makes it much easier to just jump to a random song, and if its good, listen to the whole album.

I haven't commented on this because I don't often use random play—and never with my entire library in PN. I have no objection to the suggestion, but in experimenting with "shuffle" raised a question. Should there not be a way to put the list back in its original order after shuffling? I can get it close by re-sorting by filename (and then selecting Update order), but that's only because my file path structure and default view are similar. Without an easy way to return to the original order, it seems shuffling is a one-way street. If it were possible to return, shuffle could be used to start at random while retaining options on what to do next—like playing the whole album.

There are several other ways to experience random play—"play (random)" and "play (radio)." These, understandably, both require the exclusive use of PN. So that begs the same question. If this is a "problem," which is "inflexible"—the program or the user who doesn't want these functions to mess with their PN? :-\

flac.rules

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21:26 pm »

So, aren't you asking that the program, at the expense of other users, be made less flexible in order that it behave in a manner that is more "obvious" to you? It's not more obvious to those not using the unusual "play library" paradigm you're using.  I'm still waiting for a suggestion of a feasible change that would improve your experience—without adversely affecting that of others.

I haven't commented on this because I don't often use random play—and never with my entire library in PN. I have no objection to the suggestion, but in experimenting with "shuffle" raised a question. Should there not be a way to put the list back in its original order after shuffling? I can get it close by re-sorting by filename (and then selecting Update order), but that's only because my file path structure and default view are similar. Without an easy way to return to the original order, it seems shuffling is a one-way street. If it were possible to return, shuffle could be used to start at random while retaining options on what to do next—like playing the whole album.

There are several other ways to experience random play—"play (random)" and "play (radio)." These, understandably, both require the exclusive use of PN. So that begs the same question. If this is a "problem," which is "inflexible"—the program or the user who doesn't want these functions to mess with their PN? :-\

First you critize my solution for adding to many options, then for making the program less flexible? As I said, I suggested it could be a configuration. Similar to "double click behavior", there is already an option under "behavior" for the play button. It would be as simple as to add the oppurtunity to make it "add to playing now and start playing", or similar, and also let the user choose to use the behavior on both the normal play-button, and the button labled "play" on playlist and similar.

Yeah, the shuffeling now is a bit of a one-way solution, having a easy way to return to the prevous order is also a viable (bit for me personally, a slightly less good) solution.

Theese are merly suggestion, I have never  called the program inflexible, in fact I praised the prgram for it's high flexibilty. That, and developers that actually care about their users suggestions (although, of course not every suggestion is followd) is one of the reasons I use MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up