INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for WebPlay and WebRemote  (Read 42042 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Support for WebPlay and WebRemote
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:10:24 pm »

4. NEW: Added new server 'WebPlay' for playback of a home library on an iPhone and other devices is its own feature. (no longer part of WebRemote like in build 30)

If anyone gets this working with WinMo please let me know! - the QuickTime web pages loads (that it) and the M3U playlist does not kick anything off and if I save it then try to run it manually WinMo complains there is no file association.....

Edit - apparantly the WinMo media player only supports ASF (streaming video), ASX (streaming audio). not M3U so off to find a 3rd party player!

FYI - I also tried the "...open in Web Browser" and when I "open" a M3U playlist it plays in MC but only if the source files are MP3.  If it is in WMA Lossless or FLAC then MC give the "can not play the last several files message".  I presume that coupled with a transcoding (or transocded STACK setting) at some point these will be fine.

Looks promising!
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Support for WebPlay and WebRemote
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:52 pm »

So, I take it the WebPlay feature is designed primarily for audio?  I tried it with my videos and none of them worked.  I'm assuming that it doesn't transcode video on-the-fly (ala AirVideo), so we can only expect it to work with video that is already formatted properly.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

How about audio?  Is the plan for it to work with pretty much all filetypes that MC is configured to handle, or will it primarily work only with those that MC handles natively?  I tried an MP3 and it worked, but I have other file types mixed in in my views.  In other words, will it work for things like OGG and other stuff that is handled through DirectShow?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:35:08 pm »

If anyone gets this working with WinMo please let me know! - the QuickTime web pages loads (that it) and the M3U playlist does not kick anything off and if I save it then try to run it manually WinMo complains there is no file association.....

What if you play a single file after drilling all the way down in WebPlay?  Try an MP3 first, although other formats will get converted.

This whole thing is a bit chaotic.  iPhone needs QuickTime, WinMo needs ASX (and maybe more), and Android needs a custom application due to its broken M3U support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »

What if you play a single file after drilling all the way down in WebPlay?  Try an MP3 first, although other formats will get converted.

This whole thing is a bit chaotic.  iPhone needs QuickTime, WinMo needs ASX (and maybe more), and Android needs a custom application due to its broken M3U support.

This is all a great direction and a bit chaotic is fine for now!  Very exciting for now!  Yes - a single MP3 plays fine but the WinMo device downloads it first then plays it....
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »

.... a single MP3 plays fine but the WinMo device downloads it first then plays it....

A single WMA also works and is transcoded to MP3 but you lose Coverart where as native MP3 keep theirs.

I also installed "Plug Player" and while it can open up the M3U playlist I saved to the SD Card it complains about "connection failed"
JRiver CEO Elect

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:56:00 pm »

1) WebPlay and WebRemote aren't updating the logging area when you look at the DLNA section under the tree.  Probably just haven't gotten that far yet, but it's hard to troubleshoot when nothing is getting displayed there after the server start and port info.

2) MC crashed when browsing the ALBUMS section of webplay on the Droid's browser.
This would logically have many more records to list than the genre or artist sections, so I'm not sure if the crash is caused by the number of records being loaded or if it's due to unicode characters in some of the album names.

3) Webplay home > Images > Albums displays music albums too!
Under "set rules for file display" on the albums view there was no default Media Type=Images filter.  That filter did exist up a level on the Images view, but apparently wasn't being inherited from the parent view.   These basic defaults should already be in there if it's not going to inherit from the parent.

4) So I added a Media Type filter to one of the viewschemes.  I closed the browser tab that webplay was being used in.  Reconnected to the webplay URL.  Drilled down to that view again, but it's still showing audio albums and not being limited to images.
So, next I tried disabling the sharing by unchecking the library server checkbox.  Clicked ok.  Went back in and turned it back on.  Reconnected to webplay in browser.  Images only filter still not working in the album view.
Ok, let's try shutting down MC and restarting the whole program.
So now the browser and MC are both closed.
Started them both up again and try webplay.
Go to images > albums view.
No luck, it's still showing audio and ignoring the filter.

5) previously reported...UPnP logging area says server stopped if you go into the options window.  It's not actually stopped.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:14:26 pm »

Couple of Web Remote bugs?

1) After pressing "Stop":  If you press "Play / Pause" - A MC popup says "Nothing to Play"
2) Intalled the latest Version of Opera (10) and the format rendered nows seems to be Double Width looking making you pan Left / Right on the mobile to see the Library Tab (see screen shot from Desktop IE).

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:57:58 am »

Another potential WebRemote bug?

3) WinMo 6.5 returning from standby mode = WebRemote no longer works (need to restart browser) http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56541.msg388527#msg388527
JRiver CEO Elect

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:06:52 pm »

i've tried some mp3's on me network..on my iphone..you guys are wonderful  :)
MT5FR

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »

Jmone do we need to install quicktime? i got to the webplay screen chose an artist then a screen pops up saying click the play button below to start playback using quicktime on an iphone, itouch, iyuck and more.  i'm not seeing the play button?

does this addon mean we can stream or files now to our phones when we are away from home? This is Starting To ROCK!!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 07:06:58 pm »

All we can do at this stage on WinMo phones is drill down then save/play a single MP3 file.  It's very early days for WebPlay and the JR folk are looking at other "Streaming" options for platform (ASF/ASK).  FYI there is no Quicktime player for WinMo.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »

does this addon mean we can stream or files now to our phones when we are away from home? This is Starting To ROCK!!
Yes.  It's intended to let you stream from a home server, maybe more later, but as jmone says, it's in a very early stage.

On each type of phone (iphone, Android, WinMo), the web app has to use an installed player to do the actual playback.  That's why you see QuickTime being called.  But on Android and WinMo, it will not be QT when we're finished.

Enjoy your bonfire tonight.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »

Grrrr, KK... GF always gets to play before i do. she's exstatic bout it on her iphone. and now she has more ammo to use against me for not liking macs. lmao

Great to see its going this way i'm excited!

Any news on allowing us to rate songs from webremote?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »

aww thanks for the reply jim. just an fyi.. after i installed newest version of jriver i grabbed her iphone for her and set it up\tested it and it worked flawlessly on her iphone. works great on my winmo too just as you said no way player for it as of yet. this is sooo cool!
THANK YOU!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 08:49:08 pm »

Edit:  Coreplayer for WinMo works and streams M3U's perfectly.  In WebPlay select, M3U --> Download --> Open and it will then play in Coreplayer.
Edit2: xtacbyme I see you are on their forum so you should be good to go for now.  I can stream MP3 and WMA Lossless just fine.  While Coreplayer will play a native FLAC file, I get a Unknown file format! (1060) when trying to stream it in the m3u file.

On each type of phone (iphone, Android, WinMo), the web app has to use an installed player to do the actual playback.  That's why you see QuickTime being called.  But on Android and WinMo, it will not be QT when we're finished

While this proves the existing WebPlay works with WinMo 6.5 and specilised players, I think a "native" solution for each platfrom (as Jim is hinting at) would be best!
JRiver CEO Elect

debt_collector

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 01:35:48 pm »

Where can i find istructions on how to setup web remote to work with my iphone?

HTPC4ME

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 12:52:19 pm »

WebPlay and WebRemote features are really great. I can't wait for Android support for WebPlay. Here are a few early comments, I am sure some of them are already being implemented.

• Search, of course no brainer.
  • View Scheme creation and sharing
    I found it a little tedious that they require creation of new view schemes. I think we need a more unified way for creating and copying of view schemes so that we can share view schemes between MC main view, theater view, WebRemote, and WebPlayer. We should be able to at least copy view schemes between these categories.
  • WebRemote abilities that closely mimic TheaterView.
     i.e. including the ability to start NetFlix and Hulu. WebRemote +TheaterView is better than TheaterView+Remote because it allows changes of media without interrupting the current playing visual media.
  • RemoteMC. Use MC client as a remote controller for the server.
    The main idea is to use MC in client computer to control the server Computer. Basically, the client would access the MC library server as it is accessing now, but the play action will be realized on the media side, not on the client side. The effect would be similar to using VNC to access the main computer.

• Serving different content over multiple Ports.
    I.e. I want to serve the whole library password protected on one port, while serving a few playlists as internet radio on another port. This can be achieved by running multiple instances of MC too but it is not clear how to direct those instances to different serving ports. I think we need a command prompt to run MC as a background server directed to a particular port. The port number should be specified in the command prompt.   

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »

Tolga,
Thanks for the feedback.  For remote control of the server, try connecting to Library Server, then choosing the zone under Playing Now called "There".

Jim

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 10:41:22 am »

Thanks Jim. I haven't noticed that feature before. I will try.

Just realized that WebPlay + Performance Store, if it works decently, may be a killer feature.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 02:26:14 pm »

Performer files (subscription at least) can't be streamed.  We could do it, but we don't have permission.  I may see if we can get it.

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 11:53:58 pm »

I have absolutely no clue what im doing here.
- the webpage does not exist.  Thats what it says on my phone when i plug it in.
- MC says i need to adjust my port forwarding on my router to allow access from the internet.  How do i do that?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 07:23:03 am »

I have absolutely no clue what im doing here.
- the webpage does not exist.  Thats what it says on my phone when i plug it in.
- MC says i need to adjust my port forwarding on my router to allow access from the internet.  How do i do that?

We'd need answers to a few things before anyone will be able to help you with that:
1) Make and model of your router.
2) IP address of the computer running Media Center.
3) The full URL that you're typing in on the phone's browser.
4)Does that URL work in the browser of the computer running Media Center?
5) Is the phone using your cell phone carrier's network or is it connected via wifi?

cairngorm

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 04:07:03 am »

ok I've asked elsewhere and nobody replied so I'll try here.

I've set up Webremote, I can open the page and view/play/add files on my laptop.. great BUT, when I access the Webremote on my Iphone I can browse my library but when I select play nothing plays? even though MC is open on my laptop.

Anyone have any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 07:56:39 am »

Make sure you have the latest build from the top of this board.

Make sure that all 3 DLNA options are checked.

The next build (not publicly available yet) has a change that might affect this.  It routes internal connections without going to the Internet and back.

cairngorm

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 07:43:01 am »

Make sure you have the latest build from the top of this board.

Make sure that all 3 DLNA options are checked.

The next build (not publicly available yet) has a change that might affect this.  It routes internal connections without going to the Internet and back.

Done and Done, still not working.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 10:26:08 am »

Where can i find istructions on how to setup web remote to work with my iphone?

Quick question, when Jim told me about WebRemote, I first thought it was an app for the iPhone....when I try web remote on my other PCs it works, but Safari on my iPhone won't open the page.

Can someone just clarify that an iPhone should be able to use the html WebRemote so I can continue troubleshooting.

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 10:27:18 am »

Try build 138 from the top of this page.

WebRemote should work on the iPhone.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 10:29:41 am »

thanks, I just rebuilt a new HTPC as a client to a master and will start digging into WebRemote & WebPlay.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 10:37:28 am »

webremote and webplay work on the iphone here with no problems.

cairngorm

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 11:26:20 am »

I can do everything in webremote except add/play?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 11:28:28 am »

only prob we seem to have is if we choose artists or albums. the jriver server seems to lock up for some reason, but i think thats due to the early development and using old version 35. yet to upgrade been to busy.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 11:47:38 am »

only prob we seem to have is if we choose artists or albums. the jriver server seems to lock up for some reason, but i think thats due to the early development and using old version 35. yet to upgrade been to busy.
The number of artists and albums may just take longer.  You could split them alphabetically.  A-D, etc.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »

ive noticed that jim, sometimes it will load it but majority of times on server pc i notice i get a error message jriver has stopped working. so i restart jriver then it will work. but i think on my end it maybe due to artists and albums being a utter mess. meaning multiple artists listed totalling like 20,000 when in all actuallity theres maybe 8-10,000, due to the feat. artist.

for testing purposes.. what do you mean by splitting them A-D.. how do i accomplish this?
thanx

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 12:16:13 pm »

Look for "grouping" in the lower left corner of the attached picture.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 12:19:05 pm »

thats what that is for! awesome thanks will try that. and see if it changes anything on our phones

HiFiTubes

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 10:18:22 pm »

I can't get my iPhone to use WebRemote or WebPlay.

I get a message saying the "desired page is automatically loading"...just hangs there attempting to connect to the same location/port that I can successfully use library server with on two other PCs besides my master.

Port is also forwarded and server registered with JRiver.

I took screenshots of the network logs and iPhone screenshots if needed.

hifi

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 02:30:10 pm »

Just thought I'd report... I've had no troubles with it.

Perhaps a reminder... I DID have to open the port on the Windows Firewall on the computer running MC for it to work.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Epithet

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »

My htc hd2 with coreplayer worked fine with Webplay build .38. Now unable to play more than 1 second at a time  Am I alone in experiecing this with Webplay & Winmo 6.5 on post-.38 builds?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »

Tony I've also an HD2 - There are still lots of changes being made to WebPlay and I'm seeing some odd stuff as well.  Out of interest what format are you original music tracks in?
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 05:50:58 pm »

tony, are your music files mp3's?

i bought coreplayer.. and am not fond of it at all... have your tried it with pocket player or any other player for the htc hd2? any luck? if so could you let me know how to set it up on the htc please?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 06:32:33 pm »

correction.. i suppose i should try things before i jump on a comment. oh i feel like an idiot!

it does work in pocket player :)  

Jmone. ive yet to try the wifi  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=6529843#post6529843 due to having questions ive yet to get an answer for in regards to that code they wrote.

Now after using pocketplayer when my phone goes to sleep mode the music stops playing, is this due to the wifi fix above? when i unlock phone and hit play again it does continue playing though and doesnt loose connection totally. Which is nice:) But i'd love for the screen to shut off and still play the music in background, any ideas?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 06:46:51 pm »

I use the same toggle to keep WiFi active.  What I find is:
1) If you press the OFF button it stops playback as the player is suspended
2) If you press "lock" or just let the screen turn off on it's own (eg I've got mine as Dim in "30 Sec" and Off in "1 Min") then the music keeps playing fine
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:38 pm »

Jmone.. did you use just the .cab? or did you use that code they speak of? if so where does that code go?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 07:24:10 pm »

Here you go:
1) unpack the attached zip
2) copy the CAB and the two mscr files to the HD2
3) installed the CAB

Now when you click onteh two mscr you can either check the status or toggle the wifi standby setting.

JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 08:29:40 pm »

YOU ROCK :)
but doesnt work :0... i tried my pocket player with files on the phone and it died too.. so then i thought hmm pocketshield. went into pocket shield and under locking they have an option for exceptions for PROGRAMS.. i reboot and then pocket player played or 5 minutes when sleeping with no issues. then i tried webplay again. and after being asleep for 30 seconds sound stopped, then hiccupped then stopped for good. i've yet to test but am betting its pocket shield shutting down the whole reg\phone thats not an exception to preserve battery life - killing the wifi fix ya sent me. I will see later tonight if i can disable it without uninstalling to test it.

Thanks again nathan.. i'll be back to keep ya posted.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 11:44:02 pm »

I GOT IT:)

user error. But i dont feel to aweful.. ive asked 6 people this one question... what does, wifi standby is enabled.

and they all said...likely means wifi would remain available when pc is in standby mode

which is wrong. i tried for about an hour disabled pocket shield, then said hmm lets try wifi standby is disabled. and walaaa, then i renabled pocketshield and all systems ago :)

now i just have to change the icon for it to something more appealing:D

thanks Nathan. and thanks JRiver AGAIN for this AWESOME ADDON!

nathan u using opera 10? you find a fix for the blownup view? in opera 10 ive chosen mobile view. but the interface for jriver is still very enlarged past the size of the screen and moves with my finger, so its not to neat yet.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 11:59:57 pm »

nathan u using opera 10? you find a fix for the blownup view?

Yes - I'm using both Opera 10 and like you it's too wide for a single col view.  I've posted about it but I don't think it is high on JR's list of mods just yet!
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2010, 12:02:18 am »

awww ok.. well i did notice when i connect now there offering a android app for android users.. maybe we'll be next :D

Epithet

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2010, 01:30:59 am »

Good to see this thread active again. Webplay has the potential to be awesome
Thanks for the replies. Will try pocketplayer and report back.
Some additional info.
File formats: mp3 flac ape
Webplay file conversion: for unsupported formats
Problem occurs on G3 and WiFi.
Opera10
MC build .46

Tony
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up