INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moved from XP to Windows 7 - iPod freezes MC15 [solved]  (Read 6157 times)

mediabl

• Recent member
Moved from XP to Windows 7 - iPod freezes MC15 [solved]
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:38:59 pm »

Hi, I was using MC15 on an XP laptop and my iPod no problem. Installed it on my new Windows 7 laptop. Library imported.  Music management works fine. When I connect the iPod it asked for preferences and when that was completed locked up MC and the rest of my system.  iTunes is not installed. Widget CPU meters show my dual cores maxing out. Was able to CTL-ALT-DEL to get task manager and delete the MC running application. Please advise how I can get my iPod working.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moved from XP to Windows 7 - iPod freezes MC15
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:42:27 am »

Hi, I was using MC15 on an XP laptop and my iPod no problem. Installed it on my new Windows 7 laptop. Library imported.  Music management works fine. When I connect the iPod it asked for preferences and when that was completed locked up MC and the rest of my system.  iTunes is not installed. Widget CPU meters show my dual cores maxing out. Was able to CTL-ALT-DEL to get task manager and delete the MC running application. Please advise how I can get my iPod working.

I had this happen a while back..but with v14 specifically...the workaround that I found was to "introduce" Windows 7 and the iPod - well before getting MC involved. And by that - I mean - after you have installed Win 7 and are on your "driver" installation phase (which may be real short now that Windows 7 is so "driver" aware)..simply plug in the iPod and let Windows 7 talk to it...do it's thing...install whatever drivers it needs. The device should appear in Windows Explorer and then you can right click on it and choose Eject.

As mentioned - this is happening without MC even being installed at this point. I have installed Windows 7 a number of times - most recently - the 64 bit version this past weekend and by doing the above first - and then when the time comes after MC is installed and configured - plug it in, MC finds it and it's works flawlessly - even in the current beta version of MC 15.

Cheers!

VP

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:59:59 am »

Hey VP, Thanks for the quick response. A bit more info and then a question. I am on W7 64bit. I had MC14 installed and had been using it for a few weeks, then plugged in the iPod and the system froze. I installed MC15 rebuilt the library, plugged in the iPod, again the freeze. What do you think I should try next? BTW, I've been an MC user for five or six years, and really hope I can get this going again. Cheers back atcha!

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:20:30 am »

Hey VP, Thanks for the quick response. A bit more info and then a question. I am on W7 64bit. I had MC14 installed and had been using it for a few weeks, then plugged in the iPod and the system froze. I installed MC15 rebuilt the library, plugged in the iPod, again the freeze. What do you think I should try next? BTW, I've been an MC user for five or six years, and really hope I can get this going again. Cheers back atcha!

Well - if you didn't do it in the order I mentioned - getting Win 7 and the iPod introduced BEFORE attempting to do anything in MC...I think you will be infinitely stuck. Doesn't seem to matter how long Win 7 has been installed or how long MC has been used...it all comes down to - "Is that Windows 7 64 iPod driver talking to the device correctly?"

Without knowing the tech details - in my experience with this - if ANY attempt is made to plug in the iPod the very first time in Windows 7 WITH MC inline - seems there is some conflict with Win7 trying to install it's base driver for the iPod while MC is attempting to communicate with the device at the same time...hence the freeze.

That's why I always ensure Windows 7 can talk to the iPod correctly in the simplest way before trying to get MC to sync with it.

As far as a fix - if you can ever get it to behave as is - I would suggest a complete iPod "reformat" from within MC. Failing that - you may have to completely reinstall Windows 7 from scratch...get the OS to play nice with the iPod and then reinstall MC. I know a reinstall sounds like a PITA but I do not know of any way to "uninstall" the device driver that Windows 7 uses to talk to the device. Don't even know what it's called.

Also - remember that MC15 is beta and anything could happen there. If it were me - I'd roll back to 14.0.162 and get that working perfectly before trying anything else.

That being said - using my installation specific "order" of things - I am on 15.0.32 and my 120GB 6G Classic works flawlessly on a 3 day old install of Windows 7 64bit.

Cheers!

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:34:51 am »

...  MC15 is beta and anything could happen there. If it were me - I'd roll back to 14.0.162 and get that working perfectly before trying anything else.

I don't think anything has changed in MC15 that could affect this.  MC15 is stable enough that it's our main build on the download page now.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:45:13 am »

I don't think anything has changed in MC15 that could affect this.  MC15 is stable enough that it's our main build on the download page now.

Jim,

In my instances with this "freeze"...and when I discovered the correct "install order" it was when I was in transition from V13 to V14 - which should have worked as well. Granted that was well before Windows 7 went mainstream. Just trying to offer up some sort of baseline to the user...and I do know that getting that iPod talking to Windows 7 first - before getting MC involved - seems to have a priority of some kind.

This happened to me back in Jan 2010 during a Vista Business 64 test install with V14. I made the mistake of "introducing" the iPod to the system via a first time sync attempt with MC14 and it was freeze city. Then I looked back in my notes from my 7 testing in 2009 and tried it again.

Only when the iPod was plugged in solely against the OS (so it pops up it's little "device driver has been successfully installed" messages and then correctly ejected via WIndows Explorer - would it work correctly when syncing with MC.

Cheers!

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 10:46:54 am »

Thanks.  This is useful information.

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:58:43 am »

Hi VP and Jim. Definitely would have been nice if I'd known this before I spent 20 - 30 hours provisioning my new system. Can't justify a clean install and doing it all over again just to get the iPod sync going. Am I doomed to shut down MC and start up iTunes or MediaMonkey or something else just to sync? Are are there any ideas out there about how to resolve this conflict? I tried shutting down MC, plugging in the iPod and ejecting it via Explorer, then starting up MC, but as usual, freeze city. Thanks,

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:02:50 am »

Hi VP and Jim. Definitely would have been nice if I'd known this before I spent 20 - 30 hours provisioning my new system. Can't justify a clean install and doing it all over again just to get the iPod sync going. Am I doomed to shut down MC and start up iTunes or another program or something else just to sync? Are are there any ideas out there about how to resolve this conflict? I tried shutting down MC, plugging in the iPod and ejecting it via Explorer, then starting up MC, but as usual, freeze city.
This seems like a Win7 problem.  Please try a Google search.  I searched for "ipod freeze win7" and found several posts.

For example, here's one that causes problems with iTunes:
http://www.sevenforums.com/software/31205-itunes-9-0-1-8-freezes-ipod-nano-g3-connect.html

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 11:07:11 am »

Hi VP and Jim. Definitely would have been nice if I'd known this before I spent 20 - 30 hours provisioning my new system. Can't justify a clean install and doing it all over again just to get the iPod sync going. Am I doomed to shut down MC and start up iTunes or another program or something else just to sync? Are are there any ideas out there about how to resolve this conflict? I tried shutting down MC, plugging in the iPod and ejecting it via Explorer, then starting up MC, but as usual, freeze city. Thanks,

Sorry that I can't offer up some shortcut...I would have loved to discover something to avoid a reinstall but I also spent the required hours to find out this was an issue and how to avoid it. Lots of hours. :)

I tried shutting down MC, plugging in the iPod and ejecting it via Explorer, then starting up MC, but as usual, freeze city.

Now sure how you doing this - but I never leave the iPod plugged in when attempting anything in MC. I always get MC up and running on screen...and then I plug in the iPod...let it do it's thing for a few seconds...then MC links right up.

It was things like this that taught me to image my initial install so in case some weird thing like this popped up - I could restore my OS image in 5 minutes to test other theories.

Wish I could be of more help...I know this is a bit of a pain at least you know what to do next time :) Maybe Jim and crew can do a little investigating on it and perhaps discover something.

I do know that this is a Win7 specific oddity. What kinda of iPod you running?

Cheers!

VP

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 12:15:29 pm »

Hi VP. As a coincidence my iPod is also a 6G 120G. Although I have had a couple of gliches with W7 (webex won't work with Firefox 3.6!), mostly I like it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Jim and the boys and girls at jriver can figure something out. In the meantime, perhaps this can be a cautionary tale for others since many machines are now shipping with W7 64bit. Thanks for you helpful words.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 12:24:01 pm »

Hi VP. As a coincidence my iPod is also a 6G 120G. Although I have had a couple of gliches with W7 (webex won't work with Firefox 3.6!), mostly I like it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Jim and the boys and girls at jriver can figure something out. In the meantime, perhaps this can be a cautionary tale for others since many machines are now shipping with W7 64bit. Thanks for you helpful words.

Well - same iPod..and mine works perfectly with any version of MC - as long as the OS knows about the iPod before any application.

I am really loving Windows 7 now...I am moving all our workstations over to it in the coming weeks. By far the least painful update I have done. Everything works perfectly over here...

Good luck with your install and your iPod syncage!

Cheers!

VP

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 05:40:00 pm »

Hello Jim and the team,

I would appreciate some specific suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this driver issue. Reviewing the link Jim left is confusing for me. Can you please supply some instructions for me to follow.

Thanks,

Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 05:51:42 pm »

I can't offer anything that hasn't been said above.  Vocalpoint has pinpointed the problem:
works perfectly with any version of MC - as long as the OS knows about the iPod before any application
That appears to be a Windows issue.  You could try Microsoft.  Google might have an answer.

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »

Hi Jim,

Please forgive my directness, but this forum is the primary means of support for MC, Win7 Home Premium 64 is a commonly shipped OS for new PC systems, and MC now appears to have a serious conflict if it's installed prior to an iPod being plugged in for the first time. Do you caution new users anywhere not to do this? How about a little more help resolving this problem instead of blaming it on Microsoft? I know I'm only one customer, but you're likely to see others with this same problem and it could turn into a deal breaker for future use of MC. BTW, I have upgraded at least two or three times in the four or five years I have been a customer of yours.

In hopeful anticipation of some help,

Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 06:47:38 pm »

Sorry, but we're not the people you need to talk to if it's a MS bug.  Have you reported the problem to them?

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 07:17:05 pm »

Hi Jim,

This will be my last post on this, as I feel I may be beating a dead horse. Why do you assume it's an MS bug? Maybe MC caused the problem when it was installed. And even if it is an MS bug, don't you have some obligation to help a loyal user resolve it. Just my last two cents on this issue. Perhaps time to look for another music management/iPod sync solution, although I was willing to hang in there with JRiver to try to solve this if I had gotten some help. And I always thought paid products/upgrades came with support.

Cheers,

Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 08:15:59 pm »

... I was willing to hang in there with JRiver to try to solve this if I had gotten some help. And I always thought paid products/upgrades came with support.
I think that seems a little ungrateful, given the help you've received from Vocalpoint and myself. 

You don't like the answer.  I understand that.  But I do not believe this is a JRiver problem.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 08:46:28 pm »

I don't know if this will help, but you may want to give it a try.

1) Plug the iPod into the PC
2) On the PC, click Start and go to Devices and Printers
3) If the PC is recognizing the iPod at all, it should show up under Devices (probably called iPod USB Device)
4) Right Click on the iPod USB Device and select Troubleshoot
5) Follow the prompts from the Windows 7 Device troubleshooter (note: the troubleshooter may not detect a problem even if one exists, also it may not be able to figure out a fix even if it detects a problem).

If this does not work, I suggest the following:

1) Plug the iPod into the PC
2) Go to Control Panel-->Hardware and Sound-->Device Manager
3) In Device Manager, expand the tree that says Universal Bus Controllers
4) You may see Apple Mobile Device USB Driver - usually if there is a problem the driver will be highlighted (I forget the exact way, maybe a ?). You can right click on the Driver and take different actions (I would try Update Driver Software - if that does not work I would Uninstall and scan for hardware changes)

If Windows is not identifying the iPod at all you may see an Unkown Device under Device Manager - this is probably highlighted as a problem. I would right click on it and try to Update Driver Software - if that does not work I would Uninstall it and scan for hardware changes.

Once you get the iPod Driver problems sorted out, MC should work just fine.

Good luck...

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 11:04:21 am »

Thanks Magic_Randy,

Sure appreciate the specific ideas. As you suspected the troubleshooter didn't find anything. There were no iPod drivers under USB drivers but I found the IPOD under Disk Drivers and in a portable devices category.

1) Update said it was fine, so I then removed the Ipod driver from the portable devices
2) Removed the iPod and plugged it back in again.
3) Restarted MC and it asked me to select options for my portable device. I selected all Audio.
4) After applying the option changes, MC shows the files on the iPod. I chose to sync. MC locks up showing "analyzing" in one of the columns.

Questions:
1) Should I disable the "Apple iPod USB" device in the Disk Drives area?
2) The "Portable Devices" device section didn't show up again after plugging the iPod back in. Should it?
3) Should there be a reboot somewhere in this process? (I didn't do that)

The saga continues. I just want to add that I appreciate the time Vocalpoint took to contribute and validate that this is not an isolated problem. I look forward to working with any and all members of the forum and JRiver to solve this riddle and get back to syncing my iPod once again.

Thanks all!

Bob

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 11:40:02 am »

Questions:
1) Should I disable the "Apple iPod USB" device in the Disk Drives area?

No need to disable this.

If MC is connected to the iPod and it hangs when analyzing, you probably have a corrupted catalog on the iPod.

I suggest the following:
1) Connect the iPod to the PC
2) Open MC - the iPod should show up under Drives and Devices in the tree
3) Right click on the iPod device from the tree
4) Click on Initialize iPod - note: you will have lost all the music on the iPod when you perform this operation.

You should now try syncing again.

I'm leaving home for a couple of hours. I'll check back later to see if your problem is resolved.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »

The saga continues. I just want to add that I appreciate the time Vocalpoint took to contribute and validate that this is not an isolated problem. I look forward to working with any and all members of the forum and JRiver to solve this riddle and get back to syncing my iPod once again.

I tend to agree with Magic...formatting/initializing the iPod is critical to getting this to work as well. If you can get MC to at least acknowledge the iPod in the Drives and Devices area...I would format the thing straight away, wipe it clean and then attempt a fresh sync. Your freeze issues may well be from a file or db item that is already on the iPod that causing problems.

I do remember having to do this once - I was using MC14 but on Vista for months...then when I was testing Windows 7 and tried to do a sync - I do recall an error condition of some kind and a format did the trick.

Cheers!

VP

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 01:53:32 pm »

Update:

1) I removed the iPod from "Portable Devices"
2) Started MC
3) Initialized the iPod. iPod shows all files deleted
4) Started MC
5) As soon as it showed the iPod in Devices, it freezes

Vocalpoint

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »

Update:

1) I removed the iPod from "Portable Devices"
2) Started MC
3) Initialized the iPod. iPod shows all files deleted
4) Started MC
5) As soon as it showed the iPod in Devices, it freezes

I would:

1. Remove iPod from Portable Devices....then unplug it.
2. Restart Windows
3. Plug in the the iPod (with no opening MC at all) and ensure the device is installed correctly. It should appear as a drive in Windows Explorer.
4. If it's there...right click on it (in Explorer) and choose Eject
4a. If it's not there - you have other issues that are deeper in the OS
5. Unplug the iPod when it says OK to Disconnect.

Then....

1. Start MC (what version are you running BTW?)
2. Ensure you are on anything on the tree EXCEPT Drives and Devices.
3. Plug in the iPod.
4. See what happens.

Do you see any errors at all?

Cheers!

VP

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »

I would also do a reset of the iPod. Then try it again with MC.

mediabl

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 12:01:46 am »

Update: Success!!!!

Thanks so much to VP and Magic. After initializing the iPod and clearing everything off, MC still kept freezing and would show that the now removed files were still present on the iPod. I followed VP's suggestion below and the next time I opened MC I hit the Sync button and it went to town. I believe we're back in business. Chalk another one up for the Forum community. BTW, VP I'm V15 of MC.

Cheers,

Bob

Vocalpoint

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 06:52:15 am »

Thanks so much to VP and Magic. After initializing the iPod and clearing everything off, MC still kept freezing and would show that the now removed files were still present on the iPod. I followed VP's suggestion below and the next time I opened MC I hit the Sync button and it went to town. I believe we're back in business. Chalk another one up for the Forum community. BTW, VP I'm V15 of MC.

Cheers,

Bob

Yee Haw!

Cheers!

VP

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 09:58:28 am »

Glad it worked out ;D

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re: Moved from XP to Windows 7 - iPod freezes MC15 [solved]
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 03:39:49 am »

Hello from Down Under!

It's been a while.

I had problems early on Under Windows 7 64-bit with many USB devices. Largish file transfers to an external USB disk would slow down and then stop during transfer etc.

These problem affected my iPod transfers via iTunes as well (same symptoms - copying one or two files was OK, but transferring a whole bunch at once died).

It took ages to find a solution, but I did eventually.

Try this Hotfix from Microsoft if you are having problems with USB devices like sticks, external hard drives, and iPods under Windows 7 64-bit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

Hope it helps someone out there...
Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up