INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray -- just works?  (Read 4282 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Blu-ray -- just works?
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:53:40 pm »

100% on the "just work" comments.  I have spent lots of time and effort bolting together all the bits so the Blu-rays "play from" MC as seamlessly as possible and when I asked my wife why she was watching a DVD yesterday here answer was ... you put it in and it just goes...for her she was valuing speed and easy over quality (neophyte!)
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »

100% on the "just work" comments.  I have spent lots of time and effort bolting together all the bits so the Blu-rays "play from" MC as seamlessly as possible and when I asked my wife why she was watching a DVD yesterday here answer was ... you put it in and it just goes...for her she was valuing speed and easy over quality (neophyte!)

There is something to be said about simplicity.  :)  This is one of the reasons I moved all my movies to MKV's.  It's very easy for my wife to go into 7MC and pick one from the library on any machine in the house.  As I have yet to get MC15 fully set up to do that she's still using 7MC at the moment.  I hope to correct that problem soon.  :)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:15:15 pm »

There is something to be said about simplicity.  :)  This is one of the reasons I moved all my movies to MKV's.  It's very easy for my wife to go into 7MC and pick one from the library on any machine in the house.  As I have yet to get MC15 fully set up to do that she's still using 7MC at the moment.  I hope to correct that problem soon.  :)

please let us know when you figure out which filters, codecs, splitters and settings make that "just work" in MC.

I installed the latest MC standalone filters MPCVideoDec.ax and MPEGSplitter.ax, and the latest ffdshow tryouts, based on the guide in the bitstreaming HD Audio thread, and the TV recordings (in TS format) work fine, but my MKV's wont play; something about pinouts not matching up or something.  it wont' start playing at all, so I can't have MC output the chain to notepad for review.

I'll play more tonight, but I'd sure like to get MKV's working with DXVA processing, chapters and subtitles all working correctly, with no stuttering or audio stutter.  Hopefully without having to install every codec pack available until something kinda works again.

I had something close, but have never quite got it all working :(
pretend this is something funny

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:28:40 pm »

please let us know when you figure out which filters, codecs, splitters and settings make that "just work" in MC.

I installed the latest MC standalone filters MPCVideoDec.ax and MPEGSplitter.ax, and the latest ffdshow tryouts, based on the guide in the bitstreaming HD Audio thread, and the TV recordings (in TS format) work fine, but my MKV's wont play; something about pinouts not matching up or something.  it wont' start playing at all, so I can't have MC output the chain to notepad for review.

I'll play more tonight, but I'd sure like to get MKV's working with DXVA processing, chapters and subtitles all working correctly, with no stuttering or audio stutter.  Hopefully without having to install every codec pack available until something kinda works again.

I've been wanting to get it working for a while now I just haven't had time to sit down and really dive into it.  As soon as I get a chance to devote some time to it I'll post my findings in the appropriate thread.  I've just had a crazy busy couple of weeks.  I'd very much like to get it working, though.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »

Ah, you need the MPC Matroska splitter, not the MPEGSplitter if your mkvs are encoded with the h264 codec. My setup does "just work".

swinster

• World Citizen
Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:10 am »

^^^^

We could do with some Wiki entries for things like this - and for the stuff posted in the bit streaming thread

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:40:36 pm »

Ah, you need the MPC Matroska splitter, not the MPEGSplitter if your mkvs are encoded with the h264 codec. My setup does "just work".

ah, thanks.  that makes more sense!

I installed the Matroska splitter and MVK's play now.  I haven't tested subtitles, but I did see chapters working :)

However, now TV recorded in TS format are not playing.  I tried to unregister the mpegsplitter.ax file, and it didn't play at all.  I re-registered it and MC just crashes when I play recorded TV :(

I'll play around some more tonight.

*EDIT* I guess it was just a couple of TV shows that caused MC to crash, neither has an icon/thumb so I'm guessing there's something wrong with them, but at least one plays fine in WMP.  I haven't tested an mkv in detail yet.
pretend this is something funny

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 12:10:39 am »

Glad it worked for you, and I hope it stands up to testing.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 08:21:02 am »

^^^^

We could do with some Wiki entries for things like this - and for the stuff posted in the bit streaming thread

I'm doing some more testing of filter combinations, and I now think I know what some common problems may be. I will do some more testing and present my findings, with recommended changes to MC15. There has been no response to my existing request so far, but that could be because the wording of the post was convoluted. If changes are made or put in the planned pipeline, I'll wait until then. Otherwise, I'll try to figure out how to update the wiki with my findings. I just had three wisdom teeth removed yesterday, so don't really feel like doing stuff I'm not familiar with (more than usual!).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Blu-ray -- just works?
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 08:33:06 am »

When you're ready, please use this article:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Blu-ray

It's just a placeholder right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up