INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: video in-file tagging possible and other newbie questions?  (Read 1584 times)

Tylor

• Recent member
video in-file tagging possible and other newbie questions?
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:41:55 am »

Hi,

I'm running an eval of MC15 (so new to the program and to the forums here)...

So far I'm loving some of the features of MC15, as I'm trying to consolidate some of the programs I use to manage my media collections.  My question is around metadata for videos/movies.  I've had some success using the "Lookup Movie Info from Wikipedia" option to pull meta data down into MC.  Do have some questions around this:

1) Are there other plugins to use different Meta data providers (i.e. tMDB or IMDB)?
2) Once I get the meta data down, can I write it back to tags within my movie files?  I know many file formats don't support this, but I'm using m4v/mp4 files at the moment which do support ID3 tags... I've tried to do this by the way... both by pulling down the metadata from wikipedia and by entering it myself, then going to the Update tags (from library) action for the movie I'm trying to update.  It spins for a few seconds and says it's successful, but when I try to view the internal file tags (e.g.: from Windows Explorer), nothing has changed... nor has the timestamp on the file changed.  I have checked to make sure that the tags that I'm using are set to store in file tags from the Manage Library Fields window.  Just wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong or if this isn't supported (which would be a shame).

One more question... any plugins or support (or planned support) for import/rip of video media (dvds/bluray)?  And/or conversion and handling of multiple formats for a "title"?  Ultimate experience would be to be able to put in a DVD, then have an option for how to store it in the library, including a way to easily manage multiple versions of the same title (i.e.: one for iphone, one for dlna playback, one for local (raw)).  Ya... I'll keep dreaming, I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Tylor

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: video in-file tagging possible and other newbie questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:25:18 am »

Welcome to the forums!

1. There are several plugins for this that is quite good. The built in Wiki method is not the fastest or the most accurate I guess.
MoviesSeriesInfos Automation: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52898.0
PVDimport: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54918.0
AutoMeta: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54622.0

I think that the latter one, is the best as it gives you lots of data, cover art, backdrops etc from IMDB and other sources. I've not tested all of them yet though. If you do try some of them, be sure to take a library backup before doing some testing.

2. I don't know if MC actually writes tags to movies any more. I thought it would if it's supported for that file type, but if tagging is not possible, MC will create a sidecar file with the data.

- DVD ripping works well in MC, Bluray is not currently supported though. When ripping DVD's, MC should automatically look up the disk to it's database and check for metadata and cover art.
- Conversion of Music is easily done, I'm not that sure about video conversion though. I think it should be possible.
- If you have multiple file types of the same title you could explore the different view mechanics, to hide or show the right ones, or you can use the Stacking function. Just try to mark a few files and right click to stack I think.

With some setup and plugins, I think your dream is not far from being realized. Just keep trying, and ask here again with a bit less questions at a time, and you'll probably get better and much more detailed answers :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

roopertd

• Recent member
Re: video in-file tagging possible and other newbie questions?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:49:02 pm »

I use this guide for tagging my videos

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56096.0

It works great though it may be too complicated for what you need or it may not accommodate all the info you need. Depends on what you are looking for.

The guide does need a small update for blu ray backup playback, because it is now possible to auto import them with a small modification to a text file in the J river directory
Like this:

one thing you could do:
in your mc installation you fin a folder called default resources, in this folder you find a file called FileAssociations.
now start with making a new folder beside the default recource folder called 'Custom Resources'  Wink and copy the FileAssociations file into that folder. this is important because the custom resource folder is not overwritten with a new instal, and mc first looks if the custom recource folder excists.
now open the fileassociation file with notepad there and you can add file types. or even categories.
after saving the changes, close mc for the types to show in the options, go to the options to make shure they are there and enabled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up