INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does it work the new "export to iTunes..." feature?  (Read 3775 times)

paGonzalez

• Recent member
How does it work the new "export to iTunes..." feature?
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:47:06 pm »

Hi, JRiver citizens.
I've just intalled MC-16 and, at the moment, everything woks fine.
Moreover, could you explain some details of the behavior of the new "export to iTunes..." feature? (I haven't found any information in the Wiki Help)
Is it similar to the MCiS utility?
Thanks in advance.
paGonzalez

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How does it work the new "export to iTunes..." feature?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:07 pm »

As its name says, it sends (export) to itunes the songs on your playing now (or selected view) via itunes sdk. The best way to see what it does is using it.  You can send a list of songs to itunes and then sync to your ipod or iphone via itunes.  However, is not yet perfect:

* It only can send mp3 and other lossy files, I hope in the future on-the-fly convertion be supported
* The checkbox of overwrite the playlist with the same name is not working right
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

paGonzalez

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:30:14 am »

Thank you for your help, @sunfire7.
I guessed it was that way, though I wanted to verify that it doesn't COPY the songs (the files) to the iTunes default folder, and I've seen that it wasn't so: it only exports the tag fields to the iTunes library.
Finally, could you explain the detailed mapping between MediaCenter fields and iTunes Library fields?
Once again, thanks a lot for your advising ;))
paGonzalez
-----Update----
In the meantime, I've been reading the amazing thread "Support for iPhone Playlist Sync"  (even your posts) and now I have a wider vision of this issue...
Anyway, gracias por responder, @Sunfire7

shAf

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »

As its name says, it sends (export) to itunes the songs on your playing now (or selected view) via itunes sdk. ....  However, is not yet perfect ...

Please JRiver prioritize this functionality ...

(1)  Update your help wiki for us to know what to expect and if we're using this properly ... and,
(2)  Add capability for converting iPod non-compatible to compatible ... and,
(3)  Add support for volume-leveling ...
(4)  Did I forget anything? ...<g>...

TIA ... and looking forward  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:59:16 am »

As its name says, it sends (export) to itunes the songs on your playing now (or selected view) via itunes sdk. The best way to see what it does is using it.  ...

So, where did the files go?  I have a playlist designated for this purpose (some of them OGGs & FLACs, so I understand that particular problem), and the "Export to iTunes" dialog implied they'd be put into the "iTunes Media" folder (iTunes configured for default location).  The export progress opened and took about 5 minutes ... but no files showed up(?)  Where did they go? ... or, what did I do wrong (which could have been an assumption on my part).

Personally, I agree with Glynor's suggestion (in the MC15 forum thread, see above) ...

... wouldn't it make more sense to just treat iTunes as a handheld?  Then we would be able to use all of the existing handheld options, conversion settings (cache and whatnot), and an existing UI system.

... that is, you seem to be duplicating features -- you provide for exporting to iTunes, while really expecting the purpose to be a device (... you really don't expect us to be using iTunes for any other purpose, do you? ...) ... and at the same time support folders as "devices". As a voting MC16 user, I'm for supporting folders as devices, and putting all optional features into that functionality (eg volume leveling and DSP effects).  Otherwise, I don't see the purpose for "export to iTunes" ... but feel free to enlighten   ;D

my CA$0.02 ...

lightminer

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:05 pm »

Yeah, the high-end workflow for MC15 is:

Take CDs and burn to 16/44.1 FLAC
Buy 24/96 and 24/88.1 music

So, what I want from "Export to ITunes/IPhone" is an auto-process that makes a mp320 or mp128 copy of all of my music and makes it automagically appear on my IPhone4.

Is this going to happen?  I don't want the mp3 copies in JRiver folders - I don't want them to show up in my use of JRiver.  However, they could be in ITunes folders on the HD I suppose.

JRiver - can we get this?  This is pretty important, I guess I misread the marketing literature and just assumed that when it said "Move MP3 versions of songs to an IPod/IPhone" I inserted my personal bias of the above mentioned workflow and assumed it would do this the way I am thinking.

In the meantime can anyone think of a way to do this manually - but where I don't have to ignore the MP3 files during my normal use of MC15?  The last thing I want is 2 copies of everything and having to navigate through all of that.

lightminer

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 07:27:58 pm »

I'm playing with LibraryTools / Converter

The thing is to choose "Convert To This Direcory:"

I'm making a copy of my MC15 folder, which in my case is M:\Music and calling it M:\Music_MP320 and I'm going to do everything I can to make MC15 not find it.  Instead I'll try making ITunes source from there.  Not sure if this is a reasonable approach, but I'm playing with it now.

sunfire7

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:33 am »

lightminer:
Im currently using the mp3's version of my lossless files "stacked", this way you dont have to navigate through duplicate songs because mp3's are hidden behind their lossless versions.  I know this is not ideal, but until J River improve this feature is the best I can do!
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

shAf

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:01:45 am »

I'd love to get this feature to work for me.  Towards that effort I installed the Xiph Ogg Quicktime plugin
http://xiph.org/quicktime/
that allows for iTunes to import and play my Oggs.  The MC16 "export to iTunes" current implementation does in fact work, but I found the following problems:

(1)  There's absolutely no information to be found on using it in the MC16 help (ie, Wiki), and ...
(2)  If you try to use it, it simply takes off ... no selection dialog, and no way to cancel it.  (I tried it after selecting a few files, and it began exporting my entire library(!!)  I realized after killing MC16, that it will work with the current view, rather than what is selected).  Why would any MC users want to export the entire library to iTunes?  This is a desirable tool for iPod users, but please tie its implementation to a selection dialog and/or a playlist.
(3)  Too few Ogg attributes (ie, tags) are supported for it to be a solution instead of my current method of:

(1) creating a playlist for tunes destined for my iPhone, and ...
(2)  then associating that playlist with a "device" which is actually a folder, and then synchronizing the playlist with the device.

However, there are also problems with this method that I hope JRiver can eventually fix:

(1)  I have to "always convert" because I can find no instructions regarding "supported formats".  For example, if I change the '*' to '*.mp3', the sync queue will indicate all tracks as "unsupported format", and the same if try 'mp3'.  How do I use "supported formats"??
(2) I wish I could see the tracks in the playlist similar to how tracks are displayed in the library or on a device -- that is, with a lists of 'Artists' and 'Albums' on the left for making it easy to see that's there (it's a big playlist), and easy for removing selected artists or albums.
(3)  As many may know, iTunes is terrible for managing a directory of tracks, especially when files appear and disappear.  Help for iTunes is way more dismal than for MC, and there is no easy way to remove "missing tracks".  I found a 3rd-party software, "iTunes Folder Watch"
http://albumbrowser.klarita.net/itfw.html
that works pretty well, and if you purchase a registration key, it'll automatically work in the background.  JRiver has implied elsewhere that MC cannot do the same thing -- however now, I have to wonder why not??

Therefore, my only 2 suggestions for "Export to iTunes or iPod ..." are:

(1)  To tie its dialog (or Options configuration) to a something as easy to use as is a playlist, and ...
(2)  Find a way to update the iTunes library, similar to what "iTunes Folder Watch" does.

TIA  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up