INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo won't connect  (Read 12188 times)

samwisesam

• Recent member
Gizmo won't connect
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:52 am »

hi,

I am trying to set up my HTC phone to run gizmo so that I can use it as a remote for my MC V15. I have downloaded the app and entered the access code but i just get "there was a problem connecting to the server -  please double check that you have entered the correct key, and that the servor and your connection are working". Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong? I have followed the instructions on the gizmo wiki link but I am still stuck?

thanks Jamie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo won't connect
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:12:52 am »

In MC's Media Network options, there is a test.  Please try it.

You may need MC16.  I'm not certain right now.

This may also help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

Wireless or cell connection?

Local or from outside your network?

samwisesam

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:49:15 am »

thanks. I tried the test and got this message "this library server is not reachable from the internet but you can stil use it within your local network. To use it from another computer in your local network select file, library, connect to libray and enter the access key".

I tried that and got this "media centre failed to load the library "connected library" . Any ideas?

It did also say in options/media network "to make this server accessible from the internet you will probably need to config your router port forwarding to allow incoming access on port 52199".

Not really sure what I am supposed to do from here. I am trying to connect wirelessly on local network.

thanks j

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:10:03 am »

Please try MC16.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:52:06 am »

What is your network configuration like? I mean like; what boxes are used to connect wireless, internet and your computer? Just to make sure you do not have a hardware firewall in between your wireless box and your computer.

And you do not have a firewall application on your computer with may block access? Norton, or some other?

And try what Jim said:)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

samwisesam

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 01:43:10 pm »

thanks everyone - my error, I hadnt set up my smartphone for my own wifif network! I've now got it up and running. Just one more question does the app allow album art scrolling as I was just geting a list rather than pictures,

cheers Jamie

:D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 01:49:58 pm »

You should see something like this:

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:42:32 am »

Hi together,

having the same problem now using MC16.0.81 with Gizmo installed on an ZTE Android phone.
From the Android I can ping the server and even can telnet to the port 52199 (which I see connects ... but shortly after drops) but Gizmo keeps telling me "There was a problem connecting to the server".

Firewall is turned off. All on an internal WLAN (192.168.100.32=Phone, 192.168.100.31=MC).

I tried to use Opera mini which fails to connect on WebRemote, searching in google reveals that it won't connect on local addresses. So I went on installing Dolphin browser and now can controll my Library with WebRemote through my Android.

Still Gizmo won't connect ...

Any more hints someone can give? ... I didn't found this test JimH pointed out to try ...

thx

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 02:10:18 pm »

I had a look with wireshark now ... there is not the faintest traffic detected when using Gizmo. WebRemote works.

Using the terminal emulator from the phone it is possible to ping and telnet to all three ports (1900 seems UDP so I can't try that) of MC. So I assume it must be something with the Gizmo app that is nor working correctly ...

Anything else I can try?

thx

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:12:47 am »

I had a look with wireshark now ... there is not the faintest traffic detected when using Gizmo. WebRemote works.

Using the terminal emulator from the phone it is possible to ping and telnet to all three ports (1900 seems UDP so I can't try that) of MC. So I assume it must be something with the Gizmo app that is nor working correctly ...

Anything else I can try?

thx

In tools->options->media network
Make sure that "Use Media Network to share this library...." is checked.
Next, under "access key" do "test connection to server"
It will probably show up as not reachable from the outside but available on the local address.
Note: the access key contains only Letters, no numbers...
If it still doesn't work, PM me your access code and I'll check the associated IP's.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 01:46:58 pm »

Already found the Test thing - says it's working.

My access key is [snip].
Today I tried with a friend from Galaxy Tab 7" Android 2.2.3. Again does not work ...

thx

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 02:01:41 pm »

Tombert,
I removed the key since it gives anyone access.  I sent it to Bob.

Jim

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 02:09:53 pm »

no worry - it's a private address.
thx

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 01:36:27 pm »

Already found the Test thing - says it's working.

My access key is [snip].
Today I tried with a friend from Galaxy Tab 7" Android 2.2.3. Again does not work ...

thx
I checked your code. It's not in the database. Are you sure you've copied it down right? It's actually generated by the database server so it's hard to see how it would't be there. Can you try the
Options->Media Network->Access key->... test connection to this server?
Then maybe copy the key to the clipboard, paste it into an email and send it to me at my jriver.com email address??

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 03:02:57 pm »

In the meanwhile I created a new key ... but it doesn't connect.
So to be sure we'r talking about the same thing I made a snapshot:
http://www.pix01.com/gallery/5775C91F-C3C8-47EF-9EC4-8B9B714FCAB4/Investigation/

Previously my access key was (if I remember correctly) TVrluR, now it's utYtqh. That's the chars I typed into Gizmo to connect.

What do mean by "... It's not in the database ..."?? How can you know? Something I don't understand here ...

thx

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »

In the meanwhile I created a new key ... but it doesn't connect.
So to be sure we're talking about the same thing I made a snapshot:
http://www.pix01.com/gallery/5775C91F-C3C8-47EF-9EC4-8B9B714FCAB4/Investigation/

Previously my access key was (if I remember correctly) TVrluR, now it's utYtqh. That's the chars I typed into Gizmo to connect.
That looks fine.
What do mean by "... It's not in the database ..."?? How can you know? Something I don't understand here ...
thx
When you do that "test" you are generating a key stored on a server here which allows you to find your media server from outside (as well as inside) of your network. I looked on the key server for your old key and it wasn't there. The new one is and has an associated set of IP addesses.

Now, I can't connect to the address which is obviously internet facing since I assume you have it firewalled, however you have to forward the outside address on port 52199 to your PC if you expect to connect from outside of your network (like if you are using an android data connection over the cell phone network).

If you are just using it wireless internally it should just work. Note that your computer is indicating that it has 3 network interfaces with IP addresses of:

None of these matches the address that you said it had earlier (192.168.100.31=MC)

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 04:01:42 pm »

"... I looked on the key server for your old key and it wasn't there ..."
Of course it's not there cause I havn't been connected to the internet.

Are you trying to tell me that I must have Internet in order to use Gizmo?
Is the workflow in that way that Gizmo looks-up the key on your sever in order to find my private IP address?? Please tell me that I'am wrong!

I do not expect to connect from outside, the only thing I want is getting it to work in my private network.

The reason for the .93 and .31 confusion is that it's a different PC.

thx

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »

Gizmo requires the server to have an Internet connection.

This will not be changed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 04:21:28 pm »

"... This will not be changed ..."

A bit brutal cause two of three features are advertised as MC remote control:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Gizmo
What you are explaining is that when I want to use Gizmo as a remote I first need to dial into the internet. ... makes no sense ...

Denon does the same thing with its devices - offers an App (currently only iPhone) that controls music and video.

Don't know for how many european customers I speak, but the nowadays data transfer limits on mobile is round one to three gigs. Nobody I know streams music from home to his/her mobile via internet. It's also a security issue - I'll never make my lib public visible.

Simply I can't imagine that each Gizmo user is aware of that.

thx

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »

Gizmo streams music from your local LAN, when available.  And opening the server to the outside is optional.  You can leave it firewalled.  The server itself also offers authentication.

But to connect, Gizmo and the server require regular port 80 internet access.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »

Don't know for how many european customers I speak, but the nowadays data transfer limits on mobile is round one to three gigs.
The lookup of the access key uses very little data.  On the order of 1K or less for each connect.  After that, there is no use of the Internet.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:56 pm »

The lookup of the access key uses very little data.  On the order of 1K or less for each connect.  After that, there is no use of the Internet.

This is not what meant. I meant this in use with music streaming.

Further most European don't have a public IP, the streaming feature is not of use for those cause they simply won't have access.
The most interesting feature is the Remote Control where there is no need for Internet.

thx

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 11:44:16 pm »

Since I don't have edit rights in the Wiki someone should only point out that it won't connect when there is no internet ... or even better how it works.
I wasted a lot of hours with a friend trying to get this working.

thx

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 06:23:35 am »

Further most European don't have a public IP, the streaming feature is not of use for those cause they simply won't have access.
I assume you mean that your IP address changes from time to time.  The Access Key solves that problem.  Our server keeps track of your IP address.

For better or worse, we assume that you have an Internet Connection for some of the network features.  It's the future.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 09:05:39 am »

"I assume you mean that your IP address changes from time to time.  The Access Key solves that problem.  Our server keeps track of your IP address."

This specific issue I could solve with dyndns ... but the other problem I'am trying to argue you're still missing, maybe cause it's to Americans not so obvious:

Most people using 3G USB Sticks, wired internet seems to loose market. Public IP4 addresses are rare, therefore Internet providers (most) hold each customer in a private IP space. If you need a public IP you either have to pay for it or ask if your provider can spare one, otherwise you won't get one.
Access from outside is not given "naturally".

Such services might make sense for us European using IP6. But still it's to the providers how they design their network. Maybe they do it similar assigning only private address space to customers.
Well there is a benefit: you'r not vulnerable to direct service attacks, at least as long as the attacker is not sitting in the same private address space.

Even If I would have a public IP at home, it would be no use for me. In the company I'am working the only port outside is 80. Pages like Youtube, Twitter, Facebook etc. are blocked. Who cares - I don't have an account in either of them. Do you think I'am old? No: I'am 36 and feel no need to be permanently online ... why should I be at home?

Hope this clears things up.
thomas

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 09:58:38 am »

You don't need a "public" (external) IP address for this to work.

On the ISP's equipment at your house, the device has an outside address.  It also has an inside address, 192.168.0.1, for example.  Your computer and other devices in your home have internal addresses such as 192.168.0.20.

Our server knows you by both the internal and external addresses, so it will try both when it is connecting.  Your router must know how to handle requests from the outside since it needs to forward packets to the correct PC.

There is a wiki article that explains more about this:

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 10:34:11 am »

You don't need a "public" (external) IP address for this to work.

At least the router which gives me access to internet needs one.

On the ISP's equipment at your house, the device has an outside address.  It also has an inside address, 192.168.0.1, for example.  Your computer and other devices in your home have internal addresses such as 192.168.0.20.

My router has two private addresses, one inside my home network and the other inside the ISP network. The ISP has a Gateway to the "real" internet which does the NAT.
No chance that you get access to my router ... or in other words: my outside address is private ... or in other words: only connections initiated from inside find their way back.

Our server knows you by both the internal and external addresses, so it will try both when it is connecting.  Your router must know how to handle requests from the outside since it needs to forward packets to the correct PC.

As said: my external address is private. The scenario you're describing will need the ISP NAT to be reconfigured.

There is a wiki article that explains more about this:

Thx for the article, I read it and it doesn't tell me anything new.
The only thing I must say again and again and again: I don't have a public IP - nowhere.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 10:39:02 am »

I'd just want to make this a bit more clear.
If you are only using Gizmo on an internal wireless network, neither the MC PC or the Android phone need to have open ports for incoming connects FROM the internet.
For Gizmo to work however, the Android phone must have outgoing access to the internet on port 80 to retrieve the location data from the server and the PC must have outgoing access to port 80 to send that information in the first place.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 10:43:33 am »

Perfectly clear.
So it leaves me only to complain about the need for Gizmo having internet access when I want to use it internally only.
... and by the way this is nowhere written. Could you please consider adding this to the wiki? Personally I feel this is a very important thing to know.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 10:51:03 am »

At least the router which gives me access to internet needs one.

My router has two private addresses, one inside my home network and the other inside the ISP network. The ISP has a Gateway to the "real" internet which does the NAT.
No chance that you get access to my router ... or in other words: my outside address is private ... or in other words: only connections initiated from inside find their way back.
So traffic from the Internet is not forwarded to your router?  That's secure, I guess, but it isn't helpful if you need to run a server of any kind.  Even a web server would fail unless your ISP treats is specially.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 10:52:21 am »

Perfectly clear.
So it leaves me only to complain about the need for Gizmo having internet access when I want to use it internally only.
... and by the way this is nowhere written. Could you please consider adding this to the wiki? Personally I feel this is a very important thing to know.
I did when you suggested it the first time.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 10:54:14 am »

So traffic from the Internet is not forwarded to your router?  That's secure, I guess, but it isn't helpful if you need to run a server of any kind.  Even a web server would fail unless your ISP treats is specially.

Hurray!!!  :) I got understood! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up