INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Update Channels  (Read 18024 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: Update Channels
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:46:15 am »

MC16.0.86 introduces the ability to update automatically.  

There are two public channels:  

Latest -- the build normally posted on the MC16 board
and
Stable  -- the build normally found on the download page.  This is the default choice.

You must set a preference under MC's options for Startup.  The Beta channel is by invitation only and requires a password.

So, if you download MC 16.0.86 manually, it will check for updates once a day.  When it finds one, it will download it.  The next time you run MC, it will tell you it has an update to install.  You'll see the message in the Action Window.

You can also manually check for updates under the Help menu.

If you run Media Server, it will download the build but not tell you to update until the next time you open Media Center.

olinbg

• Recent member
Re: NEW: Update Channels
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:33:40 am »

This is nice for those of us that run the 'Latest' at all times.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:16:25 pm »

Wow.  This is awesome.  I'm impressed.  Good job, guys.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

olinbg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:11:14 pm »

Wow.  This is awesome.  I'm impressed.  Good job, guys.

Just wanted to add that I ran this tonight on each machine...flawless!  8)

bigmun01

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:02:32 pm »

Sorry,
Thank you.
Must be the wine.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:10:36 pm »

This didn't work completely correctly for me.  I installed 16.0.86 from this board, and selected the "Latest" option.  The next time I ran MC16, it downloaded an update and displayed the option to install it.  I selected this option, and it appeared to update correctly, but then started the update process again, appeared to almost complete, this displayed a dialog that said:

"There was a problem installing an update.

Please retry the update and ensure that you give it UAC permission when prompted."

It offers options to retry and to cancel.  Retry does the exact same thing over and over.  Cancel does what it says, and stops the process.  When I ran MC16 afterwards, I had v16.0.87, so it did update.

I'm running Vista x64, and I run the program as a regular user.  I did indeed give the program UAC permission every time I was prompted.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 06:59:04 am »

Disabled.  Not willing to install an update without first checking reports for crashes and other nasties...  and I want to manually install all builds so that I know what is changing (by reading the change log)...
Choose the Stable or Latest options.  They mean what they say.  The serious problems are almost always caught in the Beta group.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:01:26 am »

Awesome change! To be honest, i never really missed an auto update feature to every release posted because i'm a daily visitor of interact. But having this surely adds a huge + to the majority of your user base and it's a hella good thing!

offtopic: Mine updated to .87 yesterday but no changelog anywere :P

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:26:55 am »

So...I just downloaded 16.0.86 and have authorized this copy. I have "Stable" selected under Updates...but now I notice that under the new Check For Updates panel - it's says "An update is ready to install".

Now - assuming that 86 is the most "stable" update (or maybe it's not?) just what is it that I am being asked to "update" to? I took "stable" to mean the build that appears on the Media Center 16.0.86 -- Available Here page that usually announces the latest build? I take "Beta" to be one of the interim builds that doesn't get published as an official download...and if that's the case - what does "latest" mean...

Is 16.0.86 classified as a "latest" or a "stable"?

Finally - while I love this new feature - one thing I would really like to see is to clearly state what version is about to be installed. Ideally this should appear right that new Check for Updates panel....instead of seeing "An update is ready to install" (Which tells me just about nothing)...it would be much more useful to see "Build 16.0.89 (Beta) is ready to install" or Build 16.0.92 (Latest) is ready to install.

Without a version number to tell me what's about to happen...I probably won't risk any auto updates - that may just take my nice stable environment to hell in a handbasket....

Cheers,

VP

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:36:35 am »

So...I just downloaded 16.0.86 and have authorized this copy. I have "Stable" selected under Updates...but now I notice that under the new Check For Updates panel - it's says "An update is ready to install".

Now - assuming that 86 is the most "stable" update (or maybe it's not?) just what is it that I am being asked to "update" to? I took "stable" to mean the build that appears on the Media Center 16.0.86 -- Available Here page that usually announces the latest build? I take "Beta" to be one of the interim builds that doesn't get published as an official download...and if that's the case - what does "latest" mean...

Is 16.0.86 classified as a "latest" or a "stable"?

Quote from: JimH
There are two public channels:  

Latest -- the build normally posted on the MC16 board
and
Stable  -- the build normally found on the download page.  This is the default choice.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:15:23 am »

We had a problem overnight and it should now be working:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64054.0

I've removed a few posts from that thread and from this one in order to reduce the confusion.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:31:12 pm »

I guess don't have to update the Build Notification RSS feed going forward.  Thanks for this feature!

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:45:45 pm »

The update channels is a good step to increase the "sense of stability". People will be more aware what kind of stability they should expect from their version of MC.

I just got version 87 through the latest channel,  but i suspect that it should be on only beta channel since I don't see it on the forum (I am not in the beta test group I believe).

olinbg

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:54 am »

The update channels is a good step to increase the "sense of stability". People will be more aware what kind of stability they should expect from their version of MC.

I just got version 87 through the latest channel,  but i suspect that it should be on only beta channel since I don't see it on the forum (I am not in the beta test group I believe).

I think that this was an exception to the rule.  I got this build as well (and I'm not in the beta group).  Probably there to help test out the updates feature in .86.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:22:53 am »

87 is the latest, not the beta.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 11:08:53 am »

I like how the newly downloaded builds auto-install on next launch of the application (ala Firefox).  However, I think it needs to ask you to confirm before it does this with something simple like "MC wants to update itself to version 16.0.xx.  Would you like to continue?"  Then, if the user skips it, it should probably not auto-update itself in this manner anymore for that particular build (until the next one comes out).  It could simply make a shortcut to the build's installer on the desktop, and then educate the user "Auto-updating for this build has been cancelled.  Use the link to the installer here to initiate this update manually" (or something to that effect).  There are three basic reasons I'm suggesting this:

1. Last night, I sat down at the HTPC to watch a show with my wife.  MC was closed.  I hit the "Video" button on my remote (which normally opens MC directly to Theater View), but instead of getting Theater View, I got the UAC prompt.  The mouse was across the room, firstly, which was annoying.  But then, once I approved it, I had to wait (and she had to wait) for the install process to finish before we could watch our show.  I want to be able to do updates automatically on that machine, but there are some instances where it isn't appropriate and I just need to get going and use the application.  Clicking "No" once is a heck of a lot faster than approving a UAC prompt, waiting for the MC installer to extract itself, and then saying "Cancel" (by then you might as well just do the install since the extract is basically as slow as the full install on my machines).

2. In the same instance, I could have said No to the UAC prompt, and then the install wouldn't have proceeded.  However, I had no way to know at that moment that the UAC prompt was actually caused by the update.  It could have just as easily been MC trying to register the JRTools.dll or fix FFDSHOW or install LAVFilter (I did get additional UAC prompts from the new build once it finished installing as well).  So, I didn't know for sure why the UAC prompt was coming up, only that I was trying to launch MC (which I trust), so I said yes.

3. If I want to skip a particular build, or hold off for a while, there's no real way to tell what you're updating to from this process.  I'm on the Beta team.  Most of the time these builds are fine for direct production use, but occasionally (like with the recent Theater View changes), I need to do real work to get something fixed beforehand.  Or perhaps, something known is broken in a beta build that I need, so I want to wait on it (at least on my HTPC).  But, with the auto-update, there is a danger that someone else (my wife) will just blindly proceed through a pending install that I want to hold off on for some reason or another.  Most of the time it is fine, but sometimes it isn't.  So, if it asks before updating, there is an easy way to skip it quickly and initiate the update manually later when you are ready.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 11:19:23 am »

I like how the newly downloaded builds auto-install on next launch of the application (ala Firefox).  However, I think it needs to ask you to confirm before it does this with something simple like "MC wants to update itself to version 16.0.xx.  Would you like to continue?"  Then, if the user skips it, it should probably not auto-update itself in this manner anymore for that particular build (until the next one comes out).  It could simply make a shortcut to the build's installer on the desktop, and then educate the user "Auto-updating for this build has been cancelled.  Use the link to the installer here to initiate this update manually" (or something to that effect).  There are three basic reasons I'm suggesting this:

1. Last night, I sat down at the HTPC to watch a show with my wife.  MC was closed.  I hit the "Video" button on my remote (which normally opens MC directly to Theater View), but instead of getting Theater View, I got the UAC prompt.  The mouse was across the room, firstly, which was annoying.  But then, once I approved it, I had to wait (and she had to wait) for the install process to finish before we could watch our show.  I want to be able to do updates automatically on that machine, but there are some instances where it isn't appropriate and I just need to get going and use the application.  Clicking "No" once is a heck of a lot faster than approving a UAC prompt, waiting for the MC installer to extract itself, and then saying "Cancel" (by then you might as well just do the install since the extract is basically as slow as the full install on my machines).

2. In the same instance, I could have said No to the UAC prompt, and then the install wouldn't have proceeded.  However, I had no way to know at that moment that the UAC prompt was actually caused by the update.  It could have just as easily been MC trying to register the JRTools.dll or fix FFDSHOW or install LAVFilter (I did get additional UAC prompts from the new build once it finished installing as well).  So, I didn't know for sure why the UAC prompt was coming up, only that I was trying to launch MC (which I trust), so I said yes.

3. If I want to skip a particular build, or hold off for a while, there's no real way to tell what you're updating to from this process.  I'm on the Beta team.  Most of the time these builds are fine for direct production use, but occasionally (like with the recent Theater View changes), I need to do real work to get something fixed beforehand.  Or perhaps, something known is broken in a beta build that I need, so I want to wait on it (at least on my HTPC).  But, with the auto-update, there is a danger that someone else (my wife) will just blindly proceed through a pending install that I want to hold off on for some reason or another.  Most of the time it is fine, but sometimes it isn't.  So, if it asks before updating, there is an easy way to skip it quickly and initiate the update manually later when you are ready.

+1 to all of the above.

We truly need to know what build is coming down the pipe...and certainly not have the app start an auto-install unannounced. For me - this is a deal breaker since I can't be sure exactly what it is I am getting.

Also - on a related note - yesterday at work - I moved to 16.0.86 and saw that the update mechanism immediately wanted to give me a "mystery" update which ended up being .87. However this morning - I did the same routine on my main workstation (upgraded to .86) and even with the same "update" settings  - I have received no notification on .87 or anything else - the 86 build has been installed and running for several hours no hint of .87...I have shut it down and restarted as well....

Is this normal? Has something changed?

VP

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 11:27:08 am »

1. Last night, I sat down at the HTPC to watch a show with my wife.  MC was closed.  I hit the "Video" button on my remote (which normally opens MC directly to Theater View), but instead of getting Theater View, I got the UAC prompt. 

I did something similar, but instead was playing a movie clip using DLNA to the TV.  Nothing was happening.  Fortunately I was connected via RDC to my desktop which runs MC, and saw that MC had posted the UAC permissions dialog.  Normally, one would would have noticed this.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 08:55:00 pm »

It would be cool to somehow be able to do the update from Theater View with a remote control: some indicator in Theater View that an update is available and some way to dismiss or avoid the UAC prompt.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

leoric

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 03:05:57 am »

At last! Thanks!
Just show change log after update - and you'll be great!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »

Just got an update to MC on boot when I rebooted my computer that runs the Media Server.  A few things:

1. The update needed to download some component from the Internet.  However, because the machine was still booting up, it didn't yet have network connectivity so the download failed.  The install proceeded normally, without warning.  I reinstalled the current build of MC afterwards, and it did do the download that time.  However, had I not been watching the reboot, I wouldn't have seen this happen and I wouldn't have known.  This may have left me with a broken MC install, I'd guess.

2. When the update finished, MC launched into "full mode" rather than normally to the tray.

3. I run this box fairly unattended many days, and it can reboot itself for Windows Updates (see point #1 about not knowing that it may have been broken).

It would be better if MC only tried to update itself when the full UI is loaded, not when it starts up in tray-only Media Server mode.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 07:34:44 pm »

All good points Glynor on both of your posts.
Thanks!

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 02:33:46 am »

I was running .87 and had it set to Stable.
I opened the options dialog and changed the update channel to Latest and then back to Stable
I can't remember if I clicked OK or Cancel to close the Options dialog
Shortly after the Options dialog closed I got prompted to update to .97

So just toggling the setting from Stable to Latest and then back to Stable and then closing the Options dialog was enough to get it to want to update to Latest.

I can't remember if I did an OK or Cancel to close the Options dialog.  I did proceed with the update.  I didn't verify the repro case before doing the update.  I'm a bad tester.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:04 am »

I was running .87 and had it set to Stable. I opened the options dialog and changed the update channel to Latest and then back to Stable.

I did a similar thing - but left mine @ Latest. A few minutes passed and I noticed an update was available. I clicked Download and after about 97% I received a message that there was a problem with the download and it bailed. I ended up just downloading 97 from here and doing it manually.

Guys - can't find a reason to trust this just yet. Also - I will probably never use this unless I can verify exactly what build is coming down the pipe. I refuse to run the risk of compromising my layout with the possibility of a duff build sneaking into the mix. We need to know what's coming and even better yet - have some way to read about changes from within the program (maybe a text file pops up with the change list?) rather than having to come out to Interact. Or maybe MC opens the Interact change page within MC?

VP

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 09:42:43 pm »

Just got the update to build 97.  The installation got stuck in the same infinite loop as before.  The actual installation seems fine, but it always reports that it didn't complete.

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 04:53:38 am »

The automatic update (from 16.0.87 to 16.0.97) messed up with BitRemote that is set to autostart with Windows. At startup of my machine, I was presented two windows, one saying that another instance of MC was already running (and inviting me to reboot, I think) and a second one saying that the download failed...
I ended up installing the update manually.
Otherwise, the concept is great.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:05 pm »

Can I ask just how this is supposed to take (when a new build is posted)? I have had the last several builds containing the update channels - but even tho I have MC set to "latest"...but I never seem to get prompted (on this specific workstation) to ever install a newer build.

Example: I had .97 running for at least a week...and was excited that a bug I was experiencing was fixed in .100 - but I left 97 open for hours and no update. I finally just downloaded 100 and did the update manually. Now I see 101 is there and still nothing.

Seems like this feature has a ways to go. Is there anything I can check to see what this is not happening? I do not recall changing any MC security or anything else. But I do remember getting at least one new build (I think it was 87) but none since...

Cheers,

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 10:13:14 pm »

Is there anything I can check to see what this is not happening?

Two things:

1. Make sure it is enabled.  I wasn't expecting it to work the way it does the first time I messed with it.  Go to Options -> Startup -> Update Channels.  If the text there reads "(automatic updates disabled)" then, somewhat obviously, it is disabled currently.  To re-enable, click on the little disclosure button next to Channel and choose Disable Automatic Update (to remove the check mark).  This is what I didn't expect.  I thought initially that it would essentially be a four-way switch: stable (on), latest (on), beta (on), and disabled (off).  So, I hurriedly opened it back up, saw the mark next to "Latest" and then stopped looking further.  I didn't even notice the check was also next to the "disable" item the first time.  But it doesn't work that way, it is a three-way switch, and then a separate enable/disable toggle switch.

It is a bit counter-intuitive that you need to choose to "disable" something via a pop-up menu in order to enable it, and this text should probably toggle between "enable" and "disable" instead of showing the checkmark.  If this menu was a dialog box instead of a pop-up menu, then a checkbox would suffice, but in pop-up menus I feel like the menu selection should reflect the "action" that you want to perform.  Multi-select choices are okay because they are typically named this way (enable this "mode"), but on/off choices don't work well unless you flip the operator text instead of using a checkmark.

2. Make sure you know what you're looking for to see the update dialog.  The update dialog comes up in an Action Window, not as a modal dialog box of any kind.  If you have the Tree hidden, or are typically running with the Action Window minimized (or maybe the Tag AW sitting "open" all the time) then you'll never see the notice.  It also auto-installs on subsequent launches when you close MC.  However, if you are running a Library Server, then you'd also not see this unless you manually quit the Library Server process too and then relaunch.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 10:45:48 pm »

Two things:

1. Make sure it is enabled.  I wasn't expecting it to work the way it does the first time I messed with it.  Go to Options -> Startup -> Update Channels.  If the text there reads "(automatic updates disabled)" then, somewhat obviously, it is disabled currently.  To re-enable, click on the little disclosure button next to Channel and choose Disable Automatic Update (to remove the check mark).  This is what I didn't expect.  I thought initially that it would essentially be a four-way switch: stable (on), latest (on), beta (on), and disabled (off).  So, I hurriedly opened it back up, saw the mark next to "Latest" and then stopped looking further.  I didn't even notice the check was also next to the "disable" item the first time.  But it doesn't work that way, it is a three-way switch, and then a separate enable/disable toggle switch.

It is a bit counter-intuitive that you need to choose to "disable" something via a pop-up menu in order to enable it, and this text should probably toggle between "enable" and "disable" instead of showing the checkmark.  If this menu was a dialog box instead of a pop-up menu, then a checkbox would suffice, but in pop-up menus I feel like the menu selection should reflect the "action" that you want to perform.  Multi-select choices are okay because they are typically named this way (enable this "mode"), but on/off choices don't work well unless you flip the operator text instead of using a checkmark.

2. Make sure you know what you're looking for to see the update dialog.  The update dialog comes up in an Action Window, not as a modal dialog box of any kind.  If you have the Tree hidden, or are typically running with the Action Window minimized (or maybe the Tag AW sitting "open" all the time) then you'll never see the notice.  It also auto-installs on subsequent launches when you close MC.  However, if you are running a Library Server, then you'd also not see this unless you manually quit the Library Server process too and then relaunch.

1. I am fully enabled. Update Channels is set to "latest" and Disable Auto Updates in "off" (no check)

2. Yes - no Action window has popped up since that very first one over a week ago. Since then...nothing. MC has been running now for several hours and no sign of 101 coming down.

I must have tweaked something unknown here....

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:39 pm »

It only checks for updates automatically every day or so. 

You can manually check for updates any time from the menu or by using Ctrl+J.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:16 am »

I activated update channels but it was not possible to use the automated update. The files JRimge.dll JRTools.dll were in use the installation procedure said. I could rename the files during installation - then it worked. Why does the routine say it can not overwrite when I can rename the files?

The previous version was 16.099.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 06:57:56 am »

It only checks for updates automatically every day or so.  

You can manually check for updates any time from the menu or by using Ctrl+J.

Can I ask why there is a "every day or so" parameter on this?

I would think this should run at startup at the very least. Even better would be a option as part of the Update Channels area in the Startup - with a button that says:

Check for Updates... and then a pop out menu that says:

Hourly
Daily
Weekly
At Startup

CTRL+J worked fine tho...I was able to nab 101 right off the bat today.

Cheers!

VP

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:35 pm »

I would think this should run at startup at the very least. Even better would be a option as part of the Update Channels area in the Startup - with a button that says:

I'm voting for the KISS principle here. If you want to force auto updates then you could run scheduler to run the 24011 core command. For everyone else, it should be simple.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »

I'm voting for the KISS principle here. If you want to force auto updates then you could run scheduler to run the 24011 core command. For everyone else, it should be simple.

Well - I didn't imply that I wanted to "force" an update. I just wanted to know why it runs on a 1-2 day delay of all things - and made a suggestion to see if that time range could have some flexibility.

But with CTRL+J - it's all good.

VP

dcwebman

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 08:22:02 am »

This has hit me a few times now and I believe the same things as has been said by others. I get the message "An update is ready to install" but there appears to be no way to opt out of it at that point because it will just keep saying that, so you're forced to update. I believe the only way to avoid that situation is to select the "Disable Automatic Update (not recommended)" option.

Since July is usability month, can we be told what build is going to be installed and then allow a way to opt out of it? Maybe I don't want today's build but the next build it finds and asks me to install, I do want.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 08:40:28 am »

Since July is usability month, can we be told what build is going to be installed and then allow a way to opt out of it? Maybe I don't want today's build but the next build it finds and asks me to install, I do want.
You can opt out of automatic updates and just read the changes on the forum before you update.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 10:47:16 am »

I was thinking about this too...

I see the "Update is available" in the action window. I'd love to see a build number along with release notes in there too, and I'm sure I'm not alone...
but then I wouldn't come to interact to check the build thread before updating, and I think that that is the biggest concern for JRiver. Personally, I would still come, as I'm sure all members of the beta team would, but still...

Sometimes, I hit the update button before coming to interact... such is my faith in the product. Upsets do happen with builds from time to time though, and I'm sure to get bitten from this approach one day!!

The other thing I wish for is an MCC command I can use via the remote to trigger the update install on the HTPC without the need to drop out of theatre view first in order to press a button.

-marko.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »

I see the "Update is available" in the action window. I'd love to see a build number along with release notes in there too, and I'm sure I'm not alone...

You are not alone.

If nothing else, a build number would be VERY helpful.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 01:04:34 pm »

I'm having trouble understanding the need for a build number.  If you're a cautious type, you can use Stable or Latest.  But I know you're not.  So why not just take the build offered without any further consideration?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 01:07:22 pm »

Would still love to see this working with Portable Install!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 01:08:16 pm »

I agree with Jim.  Less is more here.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »

I'm having trouble understanding the need for a build number.  If you're a cautious type, you can use Stable or Latest.  But I know you're not.  So why not just take the build offered without any further consideration?

I've had it install the "wrong build".

When I didn't bother to go downstairs yesterday, and the "Auto-Update" dialog was already open on the Server.  Then, the next day I update using the prompt, only to discover that it hadn't yet picked up today's build.

A simple build number in the dialog would solve that.

PS.  If it is some kind of huge pain in the butt, then it isn't a huge deal.  I just figured it would be easy to display the filename of the file it has obviously already detected and downloaded, which should contain the build number, so that'd solve it.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 01:37:30 pm »

With build number I could check Interact the changes made before committing. Sometimes you don't want to fix something that ain't broken however if there are interesting new features in the changelog one could be tempted to install new build.
So currently I first check Interact and either download MC from there or if I'm feeling brave enough download using MC's system and hope that it's the same build as in public changelog.

E: I should add that it's not important with stable releases but with (public) beta builds I would like to know...

Vocalpoint

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 01:41:42 pm »

I just figured it would be easy to display the filename of the file it has obviously already detected and downloaded, which should contain the build number, so that'd solve it.

+1 on this. You have already detected everything - why not display some meaningful info? In addition to a build number - the actual change list s of more importance to me.

And the suggestion that one should have to open a browser, surf on over here and then look for the update thread details before proceeding doesn't wash with me. MC is fully net enabled so it makes perfect sense that I should be able to click a link in the Update area and have the actual yabb page open right up in a tab within MC. Doesn't it?

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 01:46:35 pm »

With build number I could check Interact the changes made before committing.
Then maybe you should turn off auto update and just visit Interact or use ctrl-J to check.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2011, 02:25:59 pm »

And the suggestion that one should have to open a browser, surf on over here and then look for the update thread details before proceeding doesn't wash with me. MC is fully net enabled so it makes perfect sense that I should be able to click a link in the Update area and have the actual yabb page open right up in a tab within MC. Doesn't it?

I suspect the problem here is that the updater probably just looks for new files to appear on a FTP/HTTP server in a certain location and then downloads them.  The change log is manually edited and posted by Matt/Jim/whomever on the forum, maybe often from home or otherwise when not at-the-office.  To accomplish this, they'd need a way to post the change log details in a separate file on the FTP/HTTP server so that the update system could pick them up and display them.

This might not be pleasant from a workflow perspective.  Any extra time they are manually creating new duplicate posts is time they can't spend developing MC.

So, I think if you want the change log, you should plan to come to Interact.

BUT... The updater already KNOWS the filename of the file it has downloaded.  Displaying that shouldn't be difficult.  The only possible flaw with this plan would be if the updater works by downloading a specific file from a HTTP/FTP server, which they overwrite with each new build.  Then, the filename would not contain the build number, so the plan would fall apart.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2011, 03:27:18 pm »

Then maybe you should turn off auto update and just visit Interact or use ctrl-J to check.
That is what I do now.

rick.ca

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2011, 08:18:53 pm »

Of course it does. I can see why some would prefer the "less is more" just-install-it-no-matter-what approach. But surely a more sensible default behaviour would be to announce the availability of a new version (with the build number), show a change log inside the program if requested (with a "Details" button) and allow the installation to be accepted or dismissed (for the current session). This would not only serve those who like to be cautious, but also those of us who are probably going to install the update no matter what, but might be curious about what it includes. I usually like to try out new features and significant changes as they are made. While I appreciate having the updates pushed to me, it's a PITA to have to return here to see what the changes are. There have also been times when I've had some "urgent" need to launch the program, and then have had to wait for an installation (while hoping it didn't break what I needed to use). I would find the need to authorize an installation (even if I didn't care to read the change log first) a small price to pay to skip an update in this circumstance.

audunth

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 06:42:47 pm »

Before the Update channels feature was introduced I always updated MC from Interact, since I always got the latest build that way. I still do. Since I'm a controlfreak, I always read the release notes before updating. It's a shame I can't turn on auto update, set it to latest and get a "An update, version 16.0.xxx is available, click here for release notes and ok to install" dialog box. I visit this board almost daily, so it's not a big deal, but it would make updating quicker and easier.

A question: When I set the update channel to latest and press Ctrl-J to update is the build ALWAYS going to be the one on top of this board? Or is it a delay one way or the other?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

dcwebman

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 06:58:20 am »

BUT... The updater already KNOWS the filename of the file it has downloaded.  Displaying that shouldn't be difficult.  The only possible flaw with this plan would be if the updater works by downloading a specific file from a HTTP/FTP server, which they overwrite with each new build.  Then, the filename would not contain the build number, so the plan would fall apart.
The updater has to know the filename at some point since it does download the file and store it in its location, with the same filename just as if you downloaded from here.

There have also been times when I've had some "urgent" need to launch the program, and then have had to wait for an installation (while hoping it didn't break what I needed to use). I would find the need to authorize an installation (even if I didn't care to read the change log first) a small price to pay to skip an update in this circumstance.
This is my biggest concern. I might be in the middle of updating a lot of tags or something and don't want to remember where I was after an install and/or take the chance that an update will changebreak what I was doing. "I don't want this update, but I'll grab the next one."

And with the later builds always getting the message about JRTools running so I have to reboot my system (which I'm not going to do with @5 developer apps running at the same time), the Update inside the program has never given that message. So that's my preferred way to update now, but maybe not every time it wants me to.
Jeff
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up