INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Tag On Import  (Read 9445 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: Tag On Import
« on: October 27, 2011, 06:18:47 pm »

In MC 17.0.24 or higher, you can set auto import to tag files according to their location.  [Available in a few days]

Here's an example of how it can be set:

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: NEW: Tag On Import
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:45 pm »

This is terrific!
JRiver CEO Elect

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:10:30 pm »

NICE!  I'm looking forward to it.

Maybe you could add 'Fill Properties from filename...' also ;)

This could come in pretty handy on a per folder basis.
pretend this is something funny

PeeBee

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:05 pm »

+1

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:21:45 pm »

+1000
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:45:25 am »

Imagine how good that would be -  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 02:05:13 am »

Very very nice

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 02:37:58 am »

This is fantastic! You listened to the users (as usual) and have now a killing feature that will solve most problems regarding imports. I like the "Skip for files with value" option. Good choice.
This will even enable me to drop my plans for scripting of Year and date for movie import :D

One question. Is this things added before or after Carnac does it's thing?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:08:22 am »

this seems like a great idea!!!

As a feature request for this option, can I suggest the following addition....

much appears to be improving in theatreview, tv series etc.  but each new addition requires me to do work, eg. I have to select series posters manually as MC can't be too sure that I have named the show exactly the same as thetvbd (e.g. office vs office(US) etc).  If in 6 months you add a feature to display banner art or season art somewhere, I am going to be doing the same thing again.  When show descriptions lookup is added, I will be at it again.

So why not as part of this import option feature give me the chance to select thetvdb show id.  you add a couple of additional tick boxes e.g. for this directory assign thetvdb id, or for this directory assign a imdb id or musicbrainz id for an album, etc.  You take the carnac'd filename and give me a selection of best guesses.  If carnac does a bad job, you give a box to type directly. 

Even if you aren't using this for any purpose today, I do this ONCE now and you can then use this key to do any number of lookups of show descriptions, posters, fanart, season art, banner art, etc etc as you add more "features".  These keys often work across databases also, so with the imdb id, you can get the correct movie off rottentomates, thus I am not looking up the same move 3 times to get some info from rottentomates, and thetvdb and wikipedia.

If I am adding a new episode to a directory, it may be reasonable for MC to assume if all other files in that directory have the same thetvdb_id tag, it can just be assigned the same one.

Upon new imports the action window pops up a little message saying there are some files that require some interaction, I click yes and off we go. 

For me, and I suspect many others, and anyone coming from XBMC, pvd, sickbeard or similar, we have already done the work of selecting which show is which. MC is now asking me to do it all over again, and may ask me in a few weeks need me to do it again and again.....  Let me give you the imdb or thetvdb id and you guys can do the rest.

Craig

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 06:20:04 am »

For me, and I suspect many others, and anyone coming from XBMC, pvd, sickbeard or similar, we have already done the work of selecting which show is which. MC is now asking me to do it all over again, and may ask me in a few weeks need me to do it again and again...

This is just one step of many on the path to a fully automated system for tagging and meta data retrieval. I don't know what the destination will look like, but it's safe to say we're not there yet. Considering MC17 is still in beta, we've probably still closer to the beginning of the journey than the end. If you choose to use the beta and implement each new feature as it's introduced, then you most certainly will be doing things, to some extent, over again. The alternative is to wait until it's finished.

I happen to agree with the idea it should be possible to record whatever reference a meta data source requires—should Carnac fail to determine it. But I don't believe that should have anything to do with the auto-tagging process. What we ultimately require is a system that can accommodate a variety of different meta data sources that work in different ways. For that, we need something which allow each of those sources to be configured according to how they work, what data they provide, what fields that data is to be stored in, how it's to be updated, etc. Just one of those things would be a reference to use should the one determined automatically not work.

This is a completely separate system. It's probably not even decided exactly what it will look like or how it will work. It's not helpful to demand one small aspect of it should be decided now and somehow incorporated into today's version.

The same applies to all existing and potential art. These too are meta data, often available at the same sources. Clearly the same system—the one that hasn't been designed yet—should ultimately be the one used by the user to specify what is wanted (if necessary) and for the retrieval of images. Only once that's in place does it make sense to consider how those images might be used or used differently in views.

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 08:23:53 am »

Woot!  I had input!  Yay me!

jgreen

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 02:03:14 pm »

I really like where it's headed.  When you get down to talking about specific file types, 99% of the time I know where a file goes and what I'm going to do with it, simply based on its type.  The other 1% of the time, well, I guess I'd want a clear trail to where it went. 

Personally, every time J River does a "studio" implementation of a dialogue box, it makes dealing with huge amounts of data easier and more powerful.  I like the idea of user-controlled preferences, and as long as the breakout dialogue boxes are clear, it's really a delight to work with.

So I say, full steam ahead!  Good one! 

)p(

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »

Thanks very useful feature!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:27:43 am »

This doesn't work when copying large files into a folder being watched by media server. The file arrives into the main library via the "Bad" database, and tags specified in the auto import settings are not applied :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 04:04:47 pm »

This doesn't work when copying large files into a folder being watched by media server. The file arrives into the main library via the "Bad" database, and tags specified in the auto import settings are not applied :(

Ooh... That's not good.

All of my files that I care about this feature for will end up in the Bad database during the copy (they're all big or in-progress recordings).

I finally got bumped up to MC17 over the weekend (my Theater View is still only 1/2-way assembled), but I haven't gotten to play with any of the new stuff yet.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 05:55:38 pm »

... The file arrives into the main library via the "Bad" database...

... will end up in the Bad database during the copy ...

What is this 'Bad database' of which you speak, and how might one avoid it?  :o

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 06:39:09 pm »

What is this 'Bad database' of which you speak, and how might one avoid it?  :o

You can't avoid it, but if it works right, there is no reason to avoid it.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66305.0

(I have found one other little bug related to the fixes they eventually implemented in that, but I'll post on that elsewhere.)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 07:29:40 pm »

Ah, I see, thanks.

I hope the problem the 'bad database' resolved was worse than the solution sounds to have been ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 08:07:43 pm »

I hope the problem the 'bad database' resolved was worse than the solution sounds to have been ;)

Except for the weird little thumbnail thing (which only impacts files that once were on the "bad list"), the solution has worked perfectly.  Since those changes were made, I've had no further problems with it refusing to import "good" files.

The thumbnail thing is bad on my system because a LOT of my new files come from SageTV.  But any files I put there myself, don't really suffer.  And, if I cared, it is easy enough to fix (if you manually assign cover art in any way, those changes "stick", it is only for files that you ignore and it should have picked up the sidecar files or generated a thumbnail manually).

I don't know how bad the thumbnail problem is for other users who might not have a similar setup.  Still shouldn't happen, but you need a few different conditions in concert to reproduce the problem.

And, of course, Tag On Import needs to work.

I think the problem stems from the fact that MC seems to try to "move" the file from the "bad" database over to the "good" database, rather than just removing it completely and then importing it as new.  I'm not sure how functionally this is working, but it seems to be doing something of the kind.

So, those "imports" aren't really "fresh" because they've already been imported, just rejected initially.

MrHaugen

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 03:43:58 am »

This does not sound good at all. I'm depending on LOTS of files om many GB in size. All is automatically moved from disk to disk with copy, syncing and so on, and picked up by automatic import. If some of my videos goes in this bad library I'll be pretty depressed. I might not notice it before I'm done with a season.  How can you check this bad database? db=b~ or something similar in search? I think I stumbled upon it in another thread.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 08:10:27 am »

Something like that.  The instructions are in the above thread.

Like I said, though... They've solved that problem.  I tested it very extensively.

MrHaugen

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:18 am »

Good. I had not taken my morning coffee yet.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:49 am »

It is NOT making the JRSidecar.xml files for files it imports, which is a HUGE problem for me.  Can this be changed?

If there is a Tag On Import rule that assigns tags, I need it to generate the XML file (and actually write the tags to the file for supported formats too).

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 11:33:32 am »

Could we have this nice feature for manual import as well?

TLS

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 11:51:00 am »

What is this 'Bad database' of which you speak, and how might one avoid it?  :o

Be nice to Jim.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 01:17:28 pm »

Be nice to Jim.

Interesting.  I cannot figure out how that could be construed as NOT being nice to Jim  :-\

I was just asking what glynor & marko were talking about, sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »

Interesting.  I cannot figure out how that could be construed as NOT being nice to Jim  :-\

I was just asking what glynor & marko were talking about, sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.
No offense.  Just dry British humor. 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 01:21:23 pm »

Interesting.  I cannot figure out how that could be construed as NOT being nice to Jim  :-\

LOL... sorry! I was just answering your question by telling you how to avoid the "bad database". :) (You know - like Santa's Naughty List)
As Jim said, it was a joke.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 01:22:19 pm »

LOL... sorry! I was just answering your question - telling you how to avoid the "bad database". :) (You know - like Santa's Naughty List)
As Jim said - it was a joke.
No.  I said it was British humor.   :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 01:23:02 pm »

No.  I said it was British humor.   :)

Touche! I keep forgetting that it's American humour that's a joke. :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »

Aw.....

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 04:02:00 pm »

Touche! I keep forgetting that it's American humour that's a joke. :)

Now THAT made me laugh out loud.  ;D

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 03:11:18 am »

Is it possible to add this feature for files downloaded through JRiver ("Download the file and add it to my library")?
Thanks

JohnNye

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 05:00:13 am »

Is it possible to copy existing entries to avoid having to add the same tags over and over again?
Pages: [1]   Go Up