INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to stop MC from seeing any DLNA servers without loosing Gizmo?  (Read 2735 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

I would like to avoid any DLNA to pop into the library list, but so far I've only found one way, and that's to turn off the media network services, which is not possible because my son will kill me if he doesn't get access to the library from his room on his dear Adam Android tablet... Also I'm going to try to refine a setup to really utilize the new web version of Gizmo for guests, so that has to stay. But can I filter "libraries" like every new Windows 7 computer connecting, my wifi cameras and all that stuff?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

Disable DLNA Controller in Options > Media Network > Advanced.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

That's disabled. Still the DLNA "libraries" pop up.

MrC

Sorry, you said "libraries", I heard "zones" in my head.

Does Hide work for you? Right-click library under Playing Now > Playing from xxx Library) > Hide.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Yeah, I've done that. The thing is that they keep popping up confusing my wife and kids every time a new computer is in the house! ;) So if they bring friends who has laptops with them (and which kids won't these days?) suddenly they see them there and wonder what to do about them.

MrC

Ok, got it.

This might be a good use of IP/port rules in the Windows (or your AP or router's) firewall.  Allow only your son's IP to have access.

But perhaps what would be more generally accessible to users is an option which was to disable auto-scan of DLNA servers (requiring a manual scan instead).  Sounds like this is what you're after.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Well, since DLNA is using another port than Gizmo stuff alternative A should work.

But alternative B i love! That is exactly what I'm after. So I think I will turn that into a feature request.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Not that easy, unfortunately. Blocking the regular DLNA-ports still made it see other units. I better find a port scanner tool to see which ports MC is using to find the DLNA servers on.

Still I like better alternative B, with disabling auto-scan. And even the ability to choose what librarys to add to MC after a scan. As it is now you have to delete the libraries in regedit, the key is: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 17\Properties\Libraries]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You could turn off DLNA at the source so the servers aren't running.  Try a Google search for information.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Thanks, Jim! But the problem is that it won't work for the rather large amount of laptops with Windows 7 that comes through the house. My daughter's got a million friends and my son has a few dozen as well, and they all visit with laptops. Come to think of that I wonder why the bother to visit at all. They've got their noses stuck in Facebook all the time anyway... ;)

But maybe you could tell me what ports MC uses when it looks for DLNA servers? Then I should be able to block them in the firewall.

JimH

• Administrator

My router has something called "guest access" that gives the user Internet access without giving them access to my network.  It might work for this problem.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Mine doesn't have that, and it wouldn't help since I have a dual firewall system with all wifi routers inside the LAN (so I can control access to certain types of sites, so at least the parents can't complain to me saying that "My kid doesn't do stuff like that at home, but you let him/her). But I would still like to be able to control it at the computer running MC. The firewall should do that quite easily with the correct ports. Does it mean that the port range is a big secret? ;)

JimH

• Administrator

No.  It means I don't know.  All the Media Network access starts at 52199 or whatever you have set in the options. 

MrC

Not that easy, unfortunately. Blocking the regular DLNA-ports still made it see other units. I better find a port scanner tool to see which ports MC is using to find the DLNA servers on.

You wouldn't block simply the port - rather, you'd have to create an IP/port rule.  This would be a Deny All IPs to the given port, except the listed IP/port.  Cheaper routers won't have this feature.  Windows firewall does.

In Windows firewall, you can configure the existing Network Discover (UPnP-In) rule, changing the Scope's Remote IP address from Local subnet to your son's IP.  Thus, only UPnP discover will be allowed for his computer, hence no additional DLNA libraries will appear.

Re: Guest Access.  I second this.  Get a router that has this feature if you have rogue kiddies coming over attaching systems.  You really want to block access to your LAN from these systems, and place guests on a guest subnet.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Man right now I wish I did actually have an idea what I was doing... ;) Sometimes the lack of formal IT education bites me in the butt. I tried to set Network discovery only to 192.168.0.1, and that didn't change anything. Then I tried with TCPView from Sysinternals, and that helped me a bit on the way by showing what ports were active when MC discovers other libraries and stuff. So I blocked all ports from 50000 and up, and that made it not see any regular DLNA units. I have webGizmo set to port 80 (so browsers can connect with a simple one word URL, "Music" (after a couple of DNS server and DHCP server tricks on the server).

So now the regular DLNA units are gone, the only thing still left is that it connects to other MC with library server running, and I can turn that off on the computers that doesn't need it, which is all except for the main server and media server. I think I can deal with this. Thanks for the help!

bob

• Administrator

I'm not sure if this helps but the ssdp discovery protocol is on UDP port 1900. So anything that is doing DLNA broadcasts it's presence from the PC's IP to 239.255.255.250 port 1900.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Thanks, I already have that in. And I see nothing but the local library on the media server. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up