INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung Ativ PC Pro  (Read 12869 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Samsung Ativ PC Pro
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:59:29 pm »

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Samsung Ativ PC Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:35:57 pm »

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 5.393 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 3.683 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 3.015 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 2.076 seconds
Score: 1341

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 1.763 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.612 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.979 seconds
    Small renders... 1.620 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 1.747 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 1.678 seconds
Score: 2619

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.605 seconds
    Populate database... 1.955 seconds
    Save database... 0.335 seconds
    Reload database... 0.068 seconds
    Search database... 1.473 seconds
    Sort database... 1.353 seconds
    Group database... 0.881 seconds
Score: 3223

JRMark (version 18.0.77): 2394
JRiver CEO Elect

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:09:29 am »

Looks really cool.. I'm gonna go check it out...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:45:23 am »

First impressions on how this format and the Ativ PC Pro in particular goes esp with MC.
- RO Std Looks good, but RO HQ may be a bit to much (I was getting some odd behaviour)
- Oddly their only seems to be 60hz avail in the Driver (eg no 24hz or 50hz) ... I'll need to look at this some more
- Got a few crashes
- 1920x1080 screen means I need to put on my Reading Glasses to make out the detail on the 11" screen (but I'm just getting old) in Std View
- Theater View works better but it it not really setup for Touch and I was finding I was using many "gestures" (like a swipe) that don't work ... it is more of a "point and click"
JRiver CEO Elect

Daydream

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 02:03:45 am »

Congrats. How long does the battery last?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 02:51:05 am »

Only had it a few hours.  Watched a 45 Min BD TV Eps and it only dropped about 10% so so far it is pretty good!  Still comming to grips with W8 however  ::)
JRiver CEO Elect

Daydream

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:16:35 am »

Nice! Since you mentioned reading earlier, how do you feel about reading on it; magazines, books, like that (real electronic versions, not scanned pdf's). Screen quality, weight, as opposed to other tablets, etc.

As a side note, are these in stock over there? In US you can't find one anywhere.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 05:36:03 am »

I like the Kindle for E-Books, they are small, light and the screen is great for static info like Books.  By comparison the Sammy is huge, heavy though the screen looks very good!
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

Ow wow, i5 with HD4000 in a tablet .. you know for the first time I see a "PC" in a tablet that makes sense, running Windows 8.

Looks like something Glynor might like too, being somewhat dissapointed (IIRC?) in previous Windows tablets.

I'll be looking out for this, its not for sale yet but I'll be reading reviews and user experiences. Keep us posted on your experiences jmone!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:35:17 am »

Is it fanless?

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 03:44:28 am »

This looks like a tablet for my use. HD4000 should be plenty for Theater View and RO standard playback. I am wondering if I should wait for the AMD versions though. Their built in GPU are supposed to be a lot better than Intel's.

Jmone, would you mind starting a thread about Theater View and it's shortcomings with touch input? I think it would be good with some detailed feedback from the users on this field. Perhaps there could be some improvements here before the Win8 users with touch screens start using MC.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 05:03:03 am »

Is it fanless?

It is not fanless but I've only noticed it once when powering up.

This looks like a tablet for my use. HD4000 should be plenty for Theater View and RO standard playback. I am wondering if I should wait for the AMD versions though. Their built in GPU are supposed to be a lot better than Intel's.
It is fine in RO Std.  I have to play with RO HQ madVR's setting a bit as I was getting some oddities on my 1080/60i material.  Then again RO STD is fine!

Jmone, would you mind starting a thread about Theater View and it's shortcomings with touch input? I think it would be good with some detailed feedback from the users on this field. Perhaps there could be some improvements here before the Win8 users with touch screens start using MC.
I'm travelling for the next couple of days so should get some "Tablet" style use and will post some feedback then.  I'm still very much struck by how intuitive Gizmo's navigation and control on Android is VS Theaterview on this Tablet.

JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:27:57 am »

Bummer, I rather have an i3 than an i5 if it means no fan.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 08:10:09 am »

They'd still have a fan.  The Atom-based ones might be able to pull of fanless.

Haswell is where it's at.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12:31 am »

I'm still very much struck by how intuitive Gizmo's navigation and control on Android is VS Theaterview on this Tablet.

I noticed much the same.

Theater View touch-style is....

Close.  But not quite there.  Of course, I don't think the JRiver folks had one of these to play with (like I do) before, so hopefully that will improve.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 07:46:34 pm »

It also has a "Silent" mode but the JR Mark drops to around 1,000 (from 2,450) + a MAX mode (which warns you may feel some heat and hear the fan) but it did not impact the JR Mark. 

You really can not hear any fan noise (it is a bit like the fan in the Mac Book Air)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 02:39:05 am »

"Silent" mode is crap.  The drop in performance prevents HD material playing without stuttering and the fan is still running.  On the Plus side, "normal" mode the PC is still very quiet.  I can hear a gentle breese putting my ear to the vent and at arms length I hear nothing with the sound off in a quiet room.
JRiver CEO Elect

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 08:24:13 am »

I ordered one of the Samsung 500 Series (w/ the Atom processor) and had to send it back. The dock was not allowing the Tablet to seat properly, causing the Tablet to keep beeping, with the keyboard showing attached/detached/attached/detached.

If I plugged in the keyboard and didn't touch the device the keyboard was recognized with no issues, once I starting fiddling with the device it would start to flake out on me.

Returned to Amazon - at the time they didn't have any stock to replace it, but on Friday they received more, so I ordered another one. It's expected to arrive Tuesday - I'm hoping I won't have the same issues.
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 01:41:38 pm »

Good luck - I've not heard of this issue before so hopefully it is a one off. Is this the Windows RT version?
JRiver CEO Elect

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 11:01:35 pm »

Nope - Win8...
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 05:31:52 am »

Looks like it was a one-off... The new tablet arrived last night.

I booted it up, did all the relevant updates, and then connected the keyboard - it's like night and day.

Anytime I would physically adjust the screen before, the tablet would lose connection with the keyboard and would then reconnect. Very, very annoying. My only concern is whether or not this will become an issue over time with this tablet. That wouldn't be cool at all. :-(

LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 02:06:55 pm »

FYI - I've returned mine for a full refund (Samsung advertised it on their Oz Website as having WWLAN but the model downunder does not).  Anyway, I was in two minds on the unit and will now relook in Jan to see what has come out in the market, but for me it was not "quite right"... a good effort but....  

The downsides were some things that Samsung put in their Tablets but left out of the Ativ, such as the WWLAN, GPS etc.  The Tablet half is heavy and awkward to hold.  I found the case platicy and sort of "slippery" to hold.  When docked it threatens (but never does) overbalance backwards from the keyboard (which is just a dumb device with a weight in it - they should have put an additional battery in it rather than just a weight).  I too started to get the beep noise when moving the screen while docked indicating it was docking / undocking though it was always fine when you came to type.

My daughter was sorry to see it go as she loved the digitiser (much better than her older Lenovo convertable).
JRiver CEO Elect

doronryt5ry7

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 06:58:02 am »

Hello everyone
In Monday they released the new Samsung's smartphone. I read all sorts of reviews posted on the machine and they were very different from each other. On the one hand its processor should be more powerful than the Galaxy 3. On the other hand, a strong processor On the following set exactly the same shortcoming. How can this be? Could be that the writer confused? The size of the device is the same as S3. So what exactly is the difference other than the operating system? The description of the device  Samsung Ativ S does not tell me much. I get lost among all the numbers and names in English ...
I'd be happy to recommend a device to the two. I want to surprise my little brother on the Silvester: - ^)
Thanks in advance

Kitzinger1

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:27 am »

I was one of the people who bought this tablet and a Nokia 920 at the same time.  The tablet goes well with the phone and has about 10 hours operation time (more like 12 if you are doing simple stuff).  I wouldn't mess with the dock keyboard thing.  I would get a Bluetooth keyboard or just use the touch one.  It makes a good computer to take on trips and vacations as the battery life is better than most laptops.  To me it is light and I enjoy the bigger screen.  It pairs up nicely with my phone and if you expand your SkyDrive Account to 100GB's ($50.00 a year) you won't have to worry about setting up a home server.  It has a USB port which if you get a usb hub you can attach external Harddrives, mouse, and keyboard.  I use mine for photo management, looking at my email, comic book reading, books, and web searching.  I haven't tried movies but my wife has watched Netflix stuff on it.  It's not a gaming computer and I wouldn't try to game on it either beyond the simpler ones.  To me it is light and it has two ridges on the top left and right hand sides that gives you some grip.  You can feel it when you hold it.  Nobody in my family has dropped it and that is saying something figuring that I have 3 kids (13, 15, and 18).  It's powerful enough to run Office programs and big enough to actually see what you are writing.  I did put Start 8 and Décor 8 from Stardock on it which helps with the non Start screen but even that is not necessary as Samsung put there own Start Screen software on it.  The Samsung programs are actually decent and I use the All Share quite a bit.  Over all it fits between my Computer and phones quite well.  Any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.  Take it easy.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 09:41:54 am »

I've been fairly happy with mine so far. I agree with some of the negatives posted above, but all-in-all, I like it.

Chances are that I am going to upgrade to another Win8 tablet shortly, at which point this one will go to my wife, who needs a new laptop. I like the ability with Win8 to do a "hard-reset" and revert back to "out-of-the-box" status. From time-to-time I like to fresh OS re-install and this will make it a lot easier.

It would be nice if there was a nice Win8 app to control MC. Right now it's a bit clunky.
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:42 am »

Engadget has a review of the Samsung ATIV Smart Pro:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-pro-review/
Pages: [1]   Go Up