INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Loses Focus  (Read 2574 times)

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Theater View Loses Focus
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:03:02 am »

I have noticed that the buttons on the remote stop working if the screen loses focus. Clicking on the window cures it but is not ideal. I found that I had a notification window that would pop up from time to time and steal focus.

John

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Theater View Loses Focus
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:16:14 am »

We reported the problem with the remote since start of MC18... it worked perfectly in MC17

But the JRiver people seem to have no ears for this problem (or eyes to read these bug complaints!)

In the meanwhile we are pretty upset/annoyed
We have to run to another floor to PAUSE/PLAY or STOP in the middle of a movie
No fun to receive phone calls then!

It's very nice to have "Convolution" and all these fancy things, but we need a WORKING remote control, we consider that a BASIC problem!!

apostos

• World Citizen
Theater View Loses Focus
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:08 pm »

I’ll add my voice to this. I use MC in Theatre View when listening/viewing content and use a remote to control the process. I’ve encountered this a number of times. I have to dig out the mouse and click on the UI to gain focus. It would be nice if this could be addressed in a future build.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Theater View Loses Focus
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:04 am »

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View Loses Focus
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:49:47 am »

There has been and maybe still is a focus problem.  We made some changes last week to fix at least some of it.

The work we've done for Mac has required re-writing a lot of code.  In many cases, MC now handles things that Windows formerly did for us.  Focus is one of those.  And focus is not a simple thing when there are multiple parts of the program running at the same time.

When you press a button on the remote, you expect a response, but sometimes it's what's in focus that needs to respond and sometimes it's not.  Volume, for example.  Green Button, for another.

We're pretty much finished with the big structural changes that were required for Apple.  We're now in more of a bug fixing mode, so things should improve for Windows users.

I personally think it is amazing that the team was able to rebuild this massive program and keep it all running at the same time.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:54:46 am »

I have noticed that the buttons on the remote stop working if the screen loses focus. Clicking on the window cures it but is not ideal. I found that I had a notification window that would pop up from time to time and steal focus.

John

I'm using the official JRiver Remote and it's strange.  About half the buttons stop working for me when the screen loses focus, but often not immediately, which is very strange.  

I have to use the loopback feature a lot (partly because Netflix is anti-social with it's API), so I often turn on JRiver, set the loopback, and then go into another application (a game or web browser).  I've noticed that the stop button always, always works no matter what I'm doing, but the pause button (for example) stops working when JRiver loses focus.  

Where this gets dicey is the volume control.  It stops working for me when JRiver loses focus, but not everytime, and not always immediately.  It seems almost random.  Sometimes I'll start a game or netflix movie (in a browser outside of JR), and I'll be able to adjust the volume just fine for a while, but after a few (or 10 or 20) minutes I can't adjust the volume anymore.  Sometimes, though, as soon as I start the game/movie I can't adjust the volume, which is a pain (it's hard to know how loud the game is going to be until you get into it).  

If anyone on the JRiver side wants to try and reproduce it, start loopback from standard view and launch a video game (I've been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, but the problem occurs with every game).  I've never played anything where the volume control wasn't non-functional by the end.

I've never experienced the situation where JRiver loses focus during movie playback (i.e. the remote always works when I'm playing something inside of JRiver), but it definitely starts behaving erratically during loopback applications.  I know it's a slightly different problem, but the root causes are likely related (i.e. related to a loss of focus).

EDIT: Sorry Jim, didn't see your reply.  Glad to hear you're "on the case"  ;D

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:24:18 am »

I personally think it is amazing that the team was able to rebuild this massive program and keep it all running at the same time.

You can't argue with that. And I'm sure, in the future, Windows users are going to profit from the rebuilding nearly as much as your new Mac customers.

However, I don't think it's too much complaining to say that the MC18 cycle has been a very frustrating experience - at least for this customer, who used to be very happy, recommending the application to everybody. I'm sad to say that MC18 has cooled my enthusiasm a tiny bit, and this is the first time since MC11 or 12 that I've even considered going back to the former version.

We're now in more of a bug fixing mode, so things should improve for Windows users.

Thanks. That's really great news!

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 11:52:10 am »

I understand the need to find new customers and build the revenue base. The Mac market is relatively small so while I understand the need to serve it there has to be balance. The experience of Windows users on 18 has suffered because of it. In the end an app like JR MC is basically an annuity business that also needs to grow the base. Still, there has to be a balance between existing customers and new ones. Don't forget who paid the bills.

Although the initial roll out of Red October made me invest in JR MC I was looking for a day to day production app to use for Live TV, PVR, Film and Video playback as well as music. WMC is a 7 year old app that has had little maintenance or love for years but at least I can count on my wife being able to operate the TV day to day. Recordings work, cable TV works, it plays MP3 at the highest bit rate. I choose not to play Flac files even thoug I have a Flac file for every MP3.

Anyway I can't count on JR MC running for months at a time with no intervention from me. It is not an appliance... JR needs some appliance DNA injected into its design philosiphy. It is fine to have endless feature creep and endless builds but some core functionality has to be rock solid or it is a hackers toy and will never be suitable as the core of a families entertainment system.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re: Re: Theater View Loses Focus
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 02:49:09 pm »

Thanks Jim for the reply.

John

Z0001

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 08:15:35 am »

Is this focus issue solved? I am finding that with the atest build 209 while arrow buttons and the "ok" or "enter" buttons seem ok, the playback buttons (play, pause, stop, Ffwd, Rwd) don't work. It makes the experience poor having to find some other device to use as a mouse.

Using imon, harmony One and have not changed either of those.

Thanks for any help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up