INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips on handling TV series on DVD?  (Read 7424 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Tips on handling TV series on DVD?
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:03:10 am »

I started importing some TV series on DVD into JRiver. I'm not sure how to tag and organize them since each DVD contains multiple episodes.

How do other folks handle this?

CountryBumkin

Re: Tips on handling TV series on DVD?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:18:58 am »

I ripped each indivual episode on the DVD using makeMKV (and sometimes I use CloneDVD). I then name the files in the order "(series name), (series year . episode number), (episode title)"; such as "Lost S01E07 The Moth" this format allows it to be looked up by MC to download cover art and description, and it keeps it nicely organized in the directory. The "S01E07" part is what MC uses to find the Show's info/art and to keep everything in order.
I have a main directory called "TV Shows" and then a subdirectory for each Series (and sometimes another sudirectory for the Season. Like "TV Shows>Lost>Season 1"or "TV Shows>Haven>Season 1" and "TV Shows>Haven>Season 2", etc.
I make everything in the directory TV Shows and its subdirectories autoamtically set as a MediaSubType "TV Shows" in MC (set this up in folder importing rules).

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »

MakeMKV is a good one. More recently I just ripped the disc to a folder structure and used the auto-particles function to split the disc into episodes. Then retag the particles with 'media subtype' tv show, series, season and episode. Once these 4 tags are in place you can lookup the online data for the rest of the information.

Advantage: you still have the disc structure for menus/extras (I change the media subtype as other for the .ifo file - doesn't clutter the movies or shows pages in theaterview)
The actual episodes come under the show page in theaterview.

Disadvantage: you have to manually change tags whereas importing the mkvs should get 'carnac'd' automatically.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:18:43 pm »

Thanks, I was hoping to keep the discs together instead of making discrete files, but MakeMKV might be my easiest option.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:44:02 am »

+1 on SBR's recomendation.  That is what I do with BD and DVD eps.  Rip as the structure and use the Auto Particle generation, tag them up and then grab the meta data using "Get Movie and TV Info" feature.
JRiver CEO Elect

csimon

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 04:52:38 am »

Advantage: you still have the disc structure for menus/extras (I change the media subtype as other for the .ifo file - doesn't clutter the movies or shows pages in theaterview)
The actual episodes come under the show page in theaterview.

Quick question - if the individual episodes get listed correctly and can be selected without going through the DVD menus, where does the "complete" DVD with its menus appear?

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:06:38 am »

Quick question - if the individual episodes get listed correctly and can be selected without going through the DVD menus, where does the "complete" DVD with its menus appear?
The individual episode 'particles' are tagged as 'TV Shows' and appear in the Video->Shows part of Theaterview with appropriate metadata for each episode and grouped under the title of the Series with appropriate coverart.

The 'complete' DVD has a .ifo suffix in the library and I tag that one as 'Other'. I have my theaterview setup such that 'Shows' only show 'TV Show' tagged files, 'Movies' only show 'Movies', 'Other' only shows 'Other', etc. So for me it appears in theaterview under the banner 'Other' with a bunch of misfit DVDs that aren't movies. I have it this way so that the TV Show DVDs don't clutter up the Movies or the Shows banner, but I know where to find them if I need them.

SBR

csimon

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:15:17 am »

Ah, thankyou! Not familiar with particles but it's now clicked I think - you're effectively creating logical media items out of and as well as the physical one and they can all be tagged independantly, so you can put the individual episodes and the complete DVD in different places as you see fit. I think I had also trouble visualising, well, if you've already got the entire series appearing in your menu structure, where does the complete DVD actually fit in, where does it belong?

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 02:57:29 pm »

where does it belong?
I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a 'keep the original as original as possible' junkie, so I like to keep *all* the data on the DVDs and be able to play them in their original state. So that's why I keep the Video_ts folder structure on my HD. Particles are just additional library entries for the same data so have very little overhead in terms of HD space, but give the convenience of individual episode files (a la mkv) but keeps the original intact. I then just 'hide' the original out of the way. Sometimes there are useful extras on there that I like to watch.

SBR

Marcellus

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 11:19:13 am »

Sorry I have no tips, but have the same issue here. I really do not want to rip my entire DVD collection into loose files so that the media center can display them right. I like the DVD menus as they make DVD expierience as it is... I would like the media center to display my DVD box collections as DVD box collections (series), in a way that media browser does (media browser is a extension for windows media center) JRmedia center is the best so far for music files, but for video I have serious doubt if this is not to be done correctly. I have a folder structure like this: series is top folder for series folders. Every series has it's own folder with the series name. In this folder are the folders per season. In the season folders are the folders for each DVD. I have them named disc01, disc02.... In media center I tried renaming the files that media center found (all video_ts files which is really ugly),  there is no fanart in theater view and the file names are the ones i renamed them in (showtitle s01e01-02) It will play, but my showroom for series is not really a showroom anymore like it used to be in media browser. I really like jrmedia center, but this is 1 big reason for me not to buy it jet.. Sorry if my English is not the best, I live in the Netherlands. Why I do not stay with WMC then? I really hate the music capabilities in WMC, as I have my music collection in the FLAC format. Now I use JRmedia center for music, XBMC for music videos and movies. XBMC groups my movies better, like it automatically groups all of my alien movies into alien collection. this is one of the best features of XBMC I think.Would love to see it in JRmedia center with it's sleek GUI! I have the feeling a lot is possible in JRmc though, but I do not know how to do all of this. Most queries I tried return with no answer that I can use.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 05:23:50 pm »

Sorry I have no tips, but have the same issue here.

Hi Marcellus.I think it is fair to say that MC excels in some things and not others.TV not being a strong suit but improving.

being I really do not want to rip my entire DVD collection into loose files so that the media center can display them right.
Using particles as explained above you dont have to physically divide up the dvd.The auto function for virtually dividing DVDs into episodes works well and in seconds.You get a list of episodes now for the entire season and series, each with a thumnail and individual metadata like the episode description. As explained by SBR it is still a bit clunky as to what to do about where you place the whole DVD. However,wherever you put it, the original DVD does remain in the library with all DVD menus intact should you wish to access episodes that way.In a way best of both worlds.

I like the DVD menus as they make DVD expierience as it is... I would like the media center to display my DVD box collections as DVD box collections (series),
You can. The DVD particles can be arranged in seasons and grouped together as series, each with cover art.I do this separately for "TV recordings" as opposed to "TV whole seasons" as I teak the respective displays a little differently. Massive strong point for MC is its huge configurability. Weak point is it is not exactly user friendly or intuitive at times as to how to achieve this.Like most things dead easy and a delight once you know how.

in a way that media browser does (media browser is a extension for windows media center) JRmedia center is the best so far for music files, but for video I have serious doubt if this is not to be done correctly.

strengths and weaknesses.

I have a folder structure like this: series is top folder for series folders. Every series has it's own folder with the series name. In this folder are the folders per season. In the season folders are the folders for each DVD. I have them named disc01, disc02....

I have a separate view in MC of all my DVDs grouped by series/season and if not a series to default to the name of the DVD. In this way I have combined all dvds whether TV series,movies, or music. Not everyone's cup of tea but again, MC is highly customizable to whatever your liking. I believe it would be not too hard to filter out all but movies dvd if that was the goal

...XBMC groups my movies better, like it automatically groups all of my alien movies into alien collection. this is one of the best features of XBMC I think.Would love to see it in JRmedia center with it's sleek GUI! I have the feeling a lot is possible in MC though, but I do not know how to do all of this. Most queries I tried return with no answer that I can use.

Yep, MC can be daunting for newcomers and sometimes it seems like a private club for coders. IMHO its "automatic" features are not strong enough. The admins need to get a few technology hating housewives on their team ;D. However if you have the least bit of geek in you it becomes addictive and easier as you get into it.It is an awesome tool which takes a little time and patience to learn.The more you invest the better the experience. The analogy for me is like a fully fledged SLR camera compared to a point and shoot camera.

Marcellus

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 01:22:54 am »

Yes, I know it has been some time.. But time is a luxury not always available to me.. I just upgraded to the new MC19. It has many improvements, it's good to see that. Before I crashed few times every day. Now no more crashes. I remain with one question considering series display in MC. I want to do this: leave the series folder structure like it is (series name/season/disc). When clicking on a DVD I want it to play. Cover art I collect myself. Series information I want from IMDB or TVDB. Now how exactly do I achieve this? Is there some step by step guide to this? What is the best learning curve to understand the more advanced features in MC? I am OK to start as baby.  ;) ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up