INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 Freezing at End of Song  (Read 9292 times)

JRMartin

• Recent member
MC18 Freezing at End of Song
« on: April 20, 2013, 06:32:11 pm »

Hello,

I'm having an issue where MC18 (version .158) freezes after running, usually after a couple of hours.  It always freezes once a song is completed, never in the middle.  Basically, the song ends, the next one doesn't start playing and MC18 becomes unresponsive.  I click the mouse, get the hourglass, and have to shut the program down and start again.  I have crash logs - I have attached the most recent one.  This happens daily and is getting my wife very annoyed!

Help is appreciated.

JRMartin

• Recent member
Re: MC18 Freezing at End of Song
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:02:20 pm »

Any thoughts?

I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:07:50 pm »

You could try 18.0.171.  It's at the top of the MC18 board.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »

Please try WASAPI - Event Style instead of Kernel Streaming.  It's generally more reliable and should solve problems like this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:51:55 pm »

I have this problem too. It also happens with Wasapi, but not as often as with Kernel streaming. It never happen before MC18, and has happened since at least version 100 or so and maybe for all of MC18, as I didn't try early versions.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:04:54 am »

After just mentioning that this problem happens less frequently with Wasapi, it's happened twice in the last hour. I'm using .158 and it's been happening since at least the late .90s.

Several people have mentioned this in the fairly recent past and it's been pretty much ignored. Or Matt says something like "well just use Wasapi instead of Kernel Streaming as if that's a solution for someone who's been using Kernel Streaming with previous MCs, not to mention that using Wasapi doesn't cure it.

It seems to me that this is a serious bug that's appeared in MC18, and possibly only in the later builds when you changed the basic whatever. Anyway I wish you guys would look into it. I've had MC for a number of years and it's always worked for me until this iteration, and I'm doing nothing differently.

By the way, it doesn't freeze just at the end of songs, it also stops responding at times, when you try to do some minor thing like editing a field or changing the volume while it's playing tracks. It continues playing to the end of the track but nothing else responds, and then it just sits there until you click the mouse again, at which point it turns pale and gives you the "close the program" etc. options.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:24:38 pm »

I've tried WASAPI and the same thing happens.  I don't have the same extent of issue as crisnee (i.e., it only stops at the end of songs).  It doesn't seem to be version-specific either.  What it is, is quite annoying. 

There must be something that happens in the background that causes MC to hang. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:30:33 pm »

Your log looks like you may be using a controller like Gizmo or JRemote.

As a test, what if you turn off Media Network and control only with the program?

Anything else special about your configuration?

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 01:52:06 am »

I have a program named Q-dir which is a substitute for Explorer. It basically allows you to have four directories open with a single tree. It occurred to me last night, that this program might somehow have a conflict with MC18. It's a pretty simple program and it's open but minimized for convenience at times.

It was running in the back ground last evening when I had several hang ups. I shut it down and tried MC for a little while (it was very late) no more hang ups. I'll experiment with it more in the next few days and report back.

Q-dir is a nice little free program that's been around for many years, produced by a guy in Germany. He's also produced quite a few other free utilities.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 07:20:35 am »

I'll try turning off the media network tonight.

My system is pretty simple and used only for music.  I do use JRemote and Gizmo.  The program does not hang while using these devices and its not predictable, but I will say it is typically after a long run of songs.

I'm running Bitdefender antivirus and have run JPlay in the past (this didn't seem to change the behaviour I am describing).  My music files are stored on an external hard drive connected via USB3.0.  That's all I can really think of at the moment.

It might be important to note that it is only MC that hangs, not windows.

I'll post my findings with respect to your recommendations.

Martin

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 07:46:25 am »

Uninstall JPlay.

It doesn't change the sound, but can lead to problems like you're seeing.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »

It was uninstalled and the problem persisted.

My impression was that it changed the sound.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 07:33:45 pm »

I have a program named Q-dir which is a substitute for Explorer. It basically allows you to have four directories open with a single tree. It occurred to me last night, that this program might somehow have a conflict with MC18. It's a pretty simple program and it's open but minimized for convenience at times.

It was running in the back ground last evening when I had several hang ups. I shut it down and tried MC for a little while (it was very late) no more hang ups. I'll experiment with it more in the next few days and report back.

Q-dir is not a conflict problem. I've had the same hang up problems several times since the other night, without it.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 07:33:31 pm »

I've been running JRMC18 with and without DLNA activated over the past couple of days.  I've experienced freeze-ups in both situations.  Here is my most recent log (attached).

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 07:59:53 pm »

You're using 18.0.158.  18.0.174 is available at the top of the MC18 board.

TrevR

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 02:48:03 pm »

Running .175 on Windows 7 64 Bit. Never had any issues until the latest update and since then I have had multiple 'freezes' similar issue, it will play for some time then will freeze at the end of a song. Using WASAPI to play back via usb to my amp.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 07:53:49 pm »

I upgraded to v.175.

Unfortunately, another freeze, but this time within a few songs of starting play.  Although I had DLNA enabled, I did not access MC with any device.  Here is my log.

Need another approach.  Ideas?

Cheers.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 01:52:54 am »

I've had the freezing problems with one computer and now I've loaded MC18 onto another pc, a clean new system with an Intel I5 processor, 6 gb of ram etc. Still get the freeze up problem.

I looked in what I'm assuming is the log file, log.txt  under users appdata ... JRiver. Nothing in it. Then I went into task manager and tried shutting down the JRWEB service while MC was locked up, and guess what? MC unfroze.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:14 am »

crisnee,
I cleaned up your language a little.  Please do it on your own next time.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 11:20:46 am »

Interesting...but is the web service necessary to use JRemote or other similar remote applications?  Using such features are important for maintaining spousal happiness!

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 02:14:30 am »

crisnee,
I cleaned up your language a little.  Please do it on your own next time.

How about addressing my issue instead of/along with "cleaning up my language," (I used marginal language because 1. I was getting extremely frustrated with the lack of response 2. I was betting that the language would at least elicit some kind of response). Now how about a real response. I've mentioned the issue for several months now with nary a response of any sort. It's a rather frustrating issue and makes it difficult to enjoy listening to music with MC. It's obviously some kind of bug as it didn't occur in MC17.

If you continue to have no interest in this issue perhaps you could at least tell me how to keep JRWeb*32 from reloading itself continually. I stop it with task manager but In due time it reappears even though I haven't restarted MC18. Then once again I have to end it with task manager to get MC to unfreeze. Btw, it even unfreezes MC when the "do you want to close the program" message is on the screen.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 11:59:52 am »

Interesting...but is the web service necessary to use JRemote or other similar remote applications?  Using such features are important for maintaining spousal happiness!

Of course terminating the JRWeb process is not a real solution. I'm just trying to find any clue as to what's going on since no-one in the know (or otherwise) seems interested or willing to help.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 12:09:08 pm »

Is there a JRWeb process that's made for 64 bit Windows (I run Win 7, 64)? The one that shows up in my task manager includes a *32.

My guess; it's trying to access the web and get's hung up and freezes up everything else while doing so. If that is so it should at least time out when not able, and leave a message to that effect. How (thru what) does it access the web?

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 03:04:42 pm »

Hello,

I just had another freezeup and tried to go into task manager to disable the web app.  MC started up instantly after shutting down the web process so it seems that crisnee and I may have exactly the same issue.  The process seemed to be using up a decent amount of memory (>200,000 kb).  Hopefully that's an interesting clue for the JRiver gurus!  Hope you guys can chime in again with some thoughts.

It would be nice to be able to cut off all of the web services like Twitter, etc. that I don't want and just use MC as more of a barebones media player.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 12:22:54 am »

What exactly does JRWeb do?

You can avoid it loading by renaming it and then seeing what happens. I've done that now to avoid continual trips to task manager.

I almost exclusively use MC for music from my local hdd (no streaming). Nevertheless JRWeb tries to load. For instance I get a message something like "Install a new version of MC as JRWeb can't be accessed or found or something like that."  When did it happen? When I expanded the top pane in playing now (where the album cover resides). If I shrink the pane again the message disappears.

Anyway, MC18 seems to play music from local hdds without a problem, when JRWeb is removed. Although again, it's no way to run a program.

Thanks for all the help and interest JRiver management!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 06:57:20 am »

The exact error message might help.

JRWeb should be installed with MC.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 09:55:37 pm »

Hi Jim,

As "luck" would have it, I just had a freeze-up after reading your post.  I've attached a screen-shot and pasted the error text below.

FYI - I tried ending the JRWEB 32 process and MC started up again.

Description:
  A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   AppHangB1
  Application Name:   Media Center 18.exe
  Application Version:   18.0.175.0
  Application Timestamp:   517aed69
  Hang Signature:   d97c
  Hang Type:   0
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   4105
  Additional Hang Signature 1:   d97c588e4d3fa9df18797799f1304864
  Additional Hang Signature 2:   45f8
  Additional Hang Signature 3:   45f87b661f4460bd39c94357e7470c31
  Additional Hang Signature 4:   d97c
  Additional Hang Signature 5:   d97c588e4d3fa9df18797799f1304864
  Additional Hang Signature 6:   45f8
  Additional Hang Signature 7:   45f87b661f4460bd39c94357e7470c31

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 09:57:44 pm »

I also realized that I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and the process says something like "JRWEB*32".  Is there anything to the fact that I'm running a 64-bit OS, or is that just a red herring?

Thanks.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 08:53:40 pm »

Bump for a reply :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »

No idea.  But try installing 18.0.180.

32 bit programs run fine on Win64.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 05:48:16 pm »

What exactly does JRWeb do? If you're not going to look into this issue good sirs, please at least let us know what it is needed for.

JRMartin, as I said earlier (literally):
You can avoid it loading by renaming it and then seeing what happens. I've done that now to avoid continual trips to task manager.

I almost exclusively use MC for music from my local hdd (no streaming). Nevertheless JRWeb tries to load. For instance I get a message something like "Install a new version of MC as JRWeb can't be accessed or found or something like that."  When did it happen? When I expanded the top pane in playing now (where the album cover resides). If I shrink the pane again the message disappears. (But MC does not hang during this, it this just displays the message. That's no big deal, much better than hanging when JRWeb hasn't been deactivated).

Anyway, MC18 seems to play music from local hdds without a problem, when JRWeb is removed. Although again, it's no way to run a program. I've continued to have JRWeb disabled since my last message 10 days ago. Still no problems when playing anything from local disks.

---------------------

New thoughts:

You could write a little batch file that renames JRWeb depending on if or not MC needs it for whatever you're doing. It doesn't need it for local stuff and I'm guessing (I haven't experimented) it DOES need it for going online, but who knows... If you don't know about batch files just create a shortcut that goes to the folder that contains the JRWeb file and rename it manually whenever you need to. A pain in the butt, but better then having MC hangup continually.

Maybe at some point someone will condescend to helping us with a bit info, if nothing else.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 11:42:02 am »

I actually found another slightly more elegant workaround, although it is a workaround.

Basically, I wrote a simple batch file that kills the JRWeb.exe process upon startup, after MC starts up.  Unless I try to access the web (which I don't), the process stays 'off' and I get zero interruptions (thus far).  I'd be happy to post the code and instructions.

It would be really great if there were options to disable all of the extra web-based junk on MC.  Kind of like an "audiophile" mode.  I really don't like the fact there there's twitter stuff, etc. in there, but I guess the program is aimed at a wider audience.

Insofar as support is concerned, I do like this format as there are many users and I'm sure it would be hard to keep up with a battery of emails, but recommending to update to the new version (which seems to change constantly) without really knowing the cause of the issue seems like a bit of a cop-out unless you know that the new version has solved the problem.  Please take this as constructive criticism.  MC is a great product that I will continue to use.

Cheers,

Martin

Crom

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 05:43:58 am »

Hi JRMartin,

It would be really useful to post more details of your work around,if you don't mind. I have been plagued by this problem since JRiver updated itself a few weeks back. I'm now on 189 but the problem persists. I can't see a JRWeb process running on my system but after about 4 songs JRiver just hangs. Looking at the log I think it's actually when the next song starts as opposed to JRiver crashing at the end of the previous song.

Thanks,
Crom

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 04:20:47 pm »

Hi Crom,

When MC is running, hit CTL-ALT-DEL and run task manager.  Look into the processes that are running.  Is there one that looks like JRWeb.exe?

Do you know anything about writing batch files.

Cheers,
Martin

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 08:55:30 pm »

Crom, Martin,

The problem seems to have solved itself on my system.

Do either or both of you have your browser set to Chromium in MC18? If so make sure it's up to date, or switch to IE. (Options, Tree View)

I switched to IE and the problem disappeared. I've since switched back to Chrome and it's all good. I have Chrome set to automatic update.

It's only a guess of course that this was the problem (since no one will tell us how JRWeb works or what it does) some kind of conflict with a particular build of Chrome) but I  have changed absolutely nothing else and the problem is gone.

Crom

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2013, 10:13:04 am »

Thanks for the pointer crisnee. Unfortunately, I have IE as browser on my set up so it can't be that on my setup.

JRMartin

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 06:56:13 pm »

I also have IE.  Not sure why its still an issue.  But, my workaround is working beautifully.

Crom - have you been able to look into my suggestion of whether you have JRWeb.exe running in your processes (you should)?

I'm away from home so might be slow to respond.

JimH

• Administrator

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 05:06:44 pm »

Please download 18.0.193 and use this thread for any problems.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81052.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up