INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am going to buy a Surface Pro. Shall I?  (Read 3940 times)

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
I am going to buy a Surface Pro. Shall I?
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:09:31 pm »

I have all my music files on a NAS and, to listen to music, I either use a Laptop (Sony with Windows 7, Intel Core i7. 8 GB of RAM, big and heavy), or on my PC, almost the same specifications.
I listen to music either with my main stereo system, a pair of Audioengine 5+, or Audeze headphones, always from a DAC connected to a USB port, mainly using ASIO, but also WASAPI.
I need a much lighter device, where I can download MC and using a USB port to connect the DAC(s).
I want to keep going with Windows.
Is the SURFACE PRO that machine? Can I download MC into it? Will it be possible to listen to my music connected to the NAS, as I do now?
Will I loose anything in terms of music, since it is the main reason to do this purchase?
Jim: you already expressed your appreciation of Surface Pro but, lately I didn't found you as enthusiastic as before, but I think for other reasons.
Please ADVICE me, since the tablet will go for sale in Portugal at the end of this month.
Kind regards to everybody.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: I am going to buy a Surface Pro. Shall I?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:07:34 am »

It's a full Windows 8 device so yes, you can install MC on it and use it in exactly the same way as you currently use your PC or laptop. Assuming it has all the ports you require for connecting external devices then I can't see you will lose anything. It just depends if you like the device or not and how convenient it will be for hookinh up to your DAC.

Your other options for a "lighter" device are an Android device (phone or tablet) running Gizmo, or an iOS device (phone or tablet) running JRemote or MyRiver. You cannot install MC on these, instead they will behave like remote controls for a copy of MC on your PC or laptop. You can use them for either streaming music from the MC PC to that device, where you could listen on headphones or use an audio out socket to pass to an amplifier, or have the music playing from the MC PC as before with output going to the DAC.

Alternatively, if your DAC is a UPnP/DLNA device, you could use MC as a DLNA server and use a UPnP/DLNA controller on an Android or IOS device to send music to the DAC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:58:26 am »

I bought a Surface Pro.  You can read about it here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80070.0

I ended up replacing it with a Sony Duo, and it's a much better machine, in my opinion:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80419.0

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:45:29 am »

Thanks a lot for your answers.
I am going to look at all the options available and will report my decision and feelings.
Kind regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up