INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED by Arindelle: networked PC's (without a monitor)  (Read 25302 times)

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media server mode problem
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:55 am »

Thank you all.  

Arindelle, I was trying to refer the unreachable developers. If they are here, we are safe then:)

To be clear, lets forget previous messages and tests. I'll summarize the situation:

1. All computers and QNAP NAS are attached to each other via an ethernet switch at home.
2. Headless audio PC is a computer audiophile CAPSv2 (actual PC) connected to DAC. I  have attached a monitor to it until set up is finished. It is supposed to run at minimum level as far as possible.
3. Music files are located in NAS and on several external and internal hard disks attached to my main desktop PC. I will use main desktop PC for cataloguing, editing tags and album art etc.  Also, I want it to do everything including decoding, playing and sending the bitstream to audio PC.

JPlay can do exactly what I want to do in streamer mode. But when I try it a web page appeared saying "JPlay is a hoax". So I will have to do that in JRiver servermode in a kind of way, but I couldn't find a way.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 10:10:59 am »

I cleaned up the thread a little.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 06:39:01 am »

... you are actually using the desktop-pc as the server and the audio-pc as the client and just want to play back files stored on your desktop-PC to the audio-pc. This changes things somewhat as you are really just using the audio-pc as an audio renderer.

What I suggest in this case is to set the audio-pc to use your desktop-pc library to play files from the network share locally to the DAC and use your desktop-pc to add files to its local library and make tag changes and album art changes locally on the desktop-pc.

How shall I do that in my setup which audio pc should run without monitor?

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2013, 02:22:51 am »

1. Computers and QNAP NAS are attached to each other via an ethernet switch at home.
2. Headless audio PC is a computer audiophile CAPSv2 (actual PC) connected to DAC. I  have attached a monitor to it until set up is finished. It is supposed to run at minimum level as far as possible.
3. Music files are located in NAS and on several external and internal hard disks attached to my main desktop PC. I will use main desktop PC for cataloguing, editing tags and album art etc.  Also, I want it to do everything including decoding, playing and sending the bitstream to audio PC.

Which computer should be Server which one should be Client?
Or do you think the only way is remote desktop for me?

Arindelle

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 05:33:03 am »

Hi Hamsi

Really busy this weekend, but I'll try to get back to you later in the day.

Quick response would be that you would  use the main desktop PC because of the files (internal and external drives) residing there (if all were on the NAS you would have a choice).

The negatives of this is that you would have to have this PC running when you want to listne to your CAPS machine. You will not have to use remote desktop, but it would help to occasionally have the ability to do so (album artwork at the moment has to modified from the server, and a few other things).

If I were you I would try and get all of your files on the NAS and use the CAPS as the server (if needed you could plug the external drives directly to the CAPS), controlling it from an ipad/iphone or other tablet. That way you don't have the PC on all the time  -I'll post more details later, have to run now

csimon

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2013, 05:40:37 am »

If I were you I would try and get all of your files on the NAS and use the CAPS as the server (if needed you could plug the external drives directly to the CAPS), controlling it from an ipad/iphone or other tablet. That way you don't have the PC on all the time

That's exactly what I want/am trying to do, but MC doesn't make this easy! You either have to use Remote Desktop, maintain two separate libraries, or manually backup and restore libraries between machines, if you want the headless/media/HTPC machine as the server. If you reverse the client and server to avoid these problems then you have to have two PCs running all the time.

It's up to you which you prefer.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 06:16:08 am »

...If you reverse the client and server to avoid these problems then you have to have two PCs running all the time...

1. I don't like the idea of controlling it from an ipad, because I mostly turn off the wifi (to stay away from EMR). Is there any model of ipad/iphone or other tablet that can connect to network via RJ45 (cable connection)?

2. I can't connect the hard disks to CAPS directly (no noise - no vibration is allowed in my dedicated listening room), but I think I can connect external harddisk to NAS which resides in another room.

3. Don't mind having two PCs running all the time. Desktop PC is supposed to do everything on. The other PC is (sine qua non) a transport to DAC only.

Is it possible if HTPC is set as Client?

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2013, 06:51:31 am »

Hi Hamsi
Really busy this weekend, but I'll try to get back to you later in the day.

Dear Arindelle,

It's OK, I'm not in hurry.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2013, 08:19:41 am »

Dear JimH,
I've found an old thread about what I need. You say "this feature is available in MC14".
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52261.msg356524#msg356524

Here's how it would work:  

1.  A copy of MC would be installed on the netbook and on the HTPC across the room.

2.  At startup time on the netbook, MC would connect to the HTPC's library.  (This is similar to what now happens when you use Library Server in MC.)

3.  You could then use the netbook's MC to select what you wanted to play and to start playback, but audio and video would come from the HTPC, not the netbook.

I need a tiny change in #2: netbook's library must be used.

csimon

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2013, 08:31:20 am »

I think this is indeed what we've now got. I don't think I had a copy of MC before this but I understand from reading that thread that it was already possible to connect to a remote library, but playback would always be on the client. This new feature allows playback on the remote server you are connecting to. This works. The problem is with synching changes between the machines which is problematic. It works like a synching service (or even peer-to-peer networking) rather than a client/server model.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2013, 08:38:39 am »

Should it be so complicated on PC running "Media Server" only? It would be enough for me, if it were just passing the bits coming from the PC running MC to DAC.

csimon

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 08:44:08 am »

You can play to a DAC that is connected to the server, if you have Show Playback Zones From The Server On The Client enabled then the DAC will appear as a zone on the client.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 08:54:11 am »

You can play to a DAC that is connected to the server, if you have Show Playback Zones From The Server On The Client enabled then the DAC will appear as a zone on the client.

You mean DesktopPC=Client; HTPC=Server. Can I use my local library on Client in that way?

csimon

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 09:01:08 am »

I don't think so, you have to be connected to the remote library on the server for its zones to appear on the client.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2013, 09:03:00 am »

I don't think so, you have to be connected to the remote library on the server for its zones to appear on the client.
Then It doesn't work for me :(

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2013, 09:07:44 am »

Should it be so complicated on PC running "Media Server" only? It would be enough for me, if it were just passing the bits coming from the PC running MC to DAC.

I think Developers should take action to develop another simple mode just to play audio besides ServerMode for HTPC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2013, 09:54:02 am »

... It would be enough for me, if it were just passing the bits coming from the PC running MC to DAC.
That's called "Bitstreaming".  There is a topic on the wiki about it.  It doesn't involve networking, media server, or DLNA.  You need to be directly connected to a device.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2013, 09:57:38 am »

Should it be so complicated on PC running "Media Server" only?

It's not, it's actually quite simple but something is obviously not cooperating on your side.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2013, 10:09:33 am »

That's called "Bitstreaming".  There is a topic on the wiki about it.  It doesn't involve networking, media server, or DLNA.  You need to be directly connected to a device.
It doesn't involve two pc setup, I think.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2013, 10:11:07 am »

It's not, it's actually quite simple but something is obviously not cooperating on your side.
I mean, it would be enough for me, if HTPC were just passing the bits coming from the other PC running MC to DAC so that I could play my local library there.
I just want another simple mode just to play audio besides ServerMode to run on HTPC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2013, 10:29:51 am »

It doesn't involve two pc setup, I think.
I think you should start with one PC for now, get that going well, then move on to more complex installations.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2013, 02:14:23 pm »

I think you should start with one PC for now, get that going well, then move on to more complex installations.

I can't. Because this is not multichannel room and there is no monitor or tv between stereo speakers. (I won't tell you about other audiofoolish things in my dedicated stereo listening room :)). Please don't advise me to give up headless audiophile PC, I want to get rid of all spinning transports (CD'S and vinyl's). I had started with one PC beginning from previous versions of JRiver and learned lots of things lately, now it's time for two.

Two PC setup on a consumer program shouldn't be a complex installation.

I just need another simple mode just to play audio (besides ServerMode) which runs on HTPC.
(I should be able to play my local library "there".)

Arindelle

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2013, 03:43:09 pm »

? just checked out this thread again guys and looks like everybody is confusing one another  ? I was going to give you a step-by-step how to set this up but I'm really not sure everyone understands how this work. It is not complex to set up jriver on two pc - you're making it complicated -- headless doesn't mean running totally blind, however.

Quote from: Hamsi
I just need another simple mode just to play audio (besides ServerMode) which runs on HTPC.
Why? Mediaserver is fast light, and EASY to set up. You would have the same limitations using something else regardless -- or maybe I'm the one confused ?
You either have to use Remote Desktop, maintain two separate libraries, or manually backup and restore libraries between machines, if you want the headless/media/HTPC machine as the server
 multiple libraries?, backup/restores between machines?.Nope sorry, misunderstanding there.  Remote desktop does make it easier to import to the server, add/modify album art, change paths if necessary and backup/restore when there is no other monitor - why is that such a big deal anyways? all you need is win pro on the server machine - cheap windows on the other will connect.
You mean Desktop PC=Client; HTPC=Server. Can I use my local library on Client in that way?
First off, all installs have a local library called "Main" (I don't know why, but that is confusing). Discounting the "Main" library, there is no reason for most people to have multiple libraries generally - you have one "Principal" media library -  if you have 1 machine or five (okay there are reasons to have multiple ones, but not in your example. You do not want to use the client library (euh i use it for crappy mp3s on my telephone, I guess^^)

Here's "headless" in action using MediaServer -- downstairs is my "server", upstairs is my "client" as a little proof ...

(note: my servers zones were no longer showing up on the client!  I had to add a new one to make it show up  :o! - might be a bug in the newest version?, is it just me or do you have the same issue?)

@Hamsi, it appears that you have a lot special concerns/needs (like no wifi to contaminate your audio room/no external drives spinning around etc.), so I don't think you want to go the bitstreaming route

I have to say that the developers have thought out just about every possible combination. It is only complicated in that to provide so many setup possibilities, there are a lot of options that you  have to know which to choose. You can even have multiple machines running as servers and clients. Most people consolidate their media in one place (1 PC, 1 NAS etc).

-  You have stuff in a NAS on a PC and on external drives.
-  You also don't want to use a wireless connection for a controller, nor do you want a monitor in the room to directly acess the HTPC.

If you can't simplify and do not want any direct "visual" access to the CAPS, you have some choices to make :

1) Desktop(PC)is server /CAPS2 (HTPC) is client.  You would have to control the music playback from the PC.

2) HTCP is server and PC is client. You would have to control the music again from the PC. or buy a tablet for a Control  with a USB out (ASUS makes some I believe) and buy something like this to hardwire it to the PC http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-connect-your-windows-8-tablet-to-wired-or-d.html. You would have to use Gizmo. Remote desktop is the simplest solution for importing etc. IMO

3) Use a laptop as server in the same room as the HTPC - you would have 2 clients: the PC and the HTPC. The PC would be used for most admin and tagging; the HTPC would then be the renderer (I think that's the jargon at least). The laptop would serve as the controller. Not very energy efficient as everything would have to be running at the same time -- well you could sell the NAS and put everything on the PC :P

None of these options appeals to me, as 1 and 2 require you to literally to leave the room to change the music (that for me would be a deal breaker right there), and as for the third one you have a lot of devices which have to be run concurrently. read this again http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/524-complete-guide-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/

The RFI you are worried about with WIFI should be negligible/nonexistent IMHO -  jremote (needs an iphone/ipad) is a much better controler than gizmo again IMO. (and the "creator" of your CAPS uses ipads/jremote for this, btw)

I think you really need a "Control Point" somewhere in your audio room. Either a ipad/tablet running under wifi, a small monitor (they make small very thin portable ones now that you can hide on a bookcase like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824146069) , or a small portable PC/netbook hardwired to control the HTPC (unless you wanted to run up to the PC everytime you wanted to change music). But if all you want to do is push music to your listening room, that's your choice.

Choose which way you prefer to go then I'll post a "how-to" if still needed.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2013, 03:49:27 pm »

I run a similar setup, but with 2 HTPCs and my Main desktop PC. My HTPCs are not headless though, but does not make a difference.

I have MC installed on all 3 pcs.

My files reside on a NAS. All 3 PCs see the same drive Letter for the music. So if I select to send a file to play from my Main pc to one of the HTPCs it plays the file from the NAS, it is not streamed to the HTPC.

I do all my library maintenance on my Main pc. The HTPCs load the library of the Main PC.  On all 3 pcs, under Media Network, I have "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" checked, and under Client Options I have "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" and "Show playback zones from the server on the client" checked.

On each HTPC I load the Library of my Mian PC.

So now as I sit at my Main pc i see my other 2 HTPCs listed under Playing Now as zones to play to. I can right click a file and select Send To and have all the zones under Playing Now show up. When I select 1 of my HTPCs it will play there. It sees the file as a local file from the nas.

So the HTPCs load the library from my Main PC. When I select a song and send it to my HTPC, the HTPC looks to see if it can find the path to the song that is in the library, which it can because it is a mapped drive on the NAS. The HTPC plays it just as if you would of played it from that HTPC.

So on my Main PC the song's path is for example:

M:\Music\A\Andrea Bocelli\Romanza\Caruso.flac

The HTPC should be able to see this path locally.

Just trying to help. This works very well.

I think you may have a problem with all your media not being able to be seen by your HTPC.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ken

If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »

Dear Arindelle,
Thank you for your detailed post. I prefer #1 (or #3 without notebook). It's not a problem for me to leave the room to change the music. I don't listen music as a background sound in my stereo room. I listen whole album (or playlist) as if I'm in the concert. I want to do everything including changing the music on main desktopPC.

I think I can do that with remote desktop. I have Windows 7 Ultimate. 

I'm not sure I understood the renderer-controller set up?

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2013, 04:24:01 pm »

Dear Ken,

I take on huge files (DSD and DXD), so I need lots of media.  

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2013, 04:36:47 pm »

Size of files is irrelevant.. I do the same with ripped Blu-Rays....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »

Sure, it's irrelevant. I'll give it a try. I just wanted to note I change media very often.

Arindelle

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2013, 05:26:11 am »

I prefer #1 (or #3 without notebook). It's not a problem for me to leave the room to change the music. I don't listen music as a background sound in my stereo room. I listen whole album (or playlist) as if I'm in the concert. I want to do everything including changing the music on main desktop PC.

OK I'll do that when I get back from work for #3 -- this will allow you to have multiple zones configured on the CAPS, shown on your PC  if needed - #1 will not like I believe csimon indicated.
I think I can do that with remote desktop. I have Windows 7 Ultimate. 
  yes you can; for this option you would want it installed on the CAPS - any version of Win7 can be on the PC

I'm not sure I understood the renderer-controller set up?
Read Chris Connaker's Article linked above. Your Desktop will be  the "control"; your CAPS will be the "renderer" and run MediaServer on Win startup.

What Ken suggested is similar to number one - not sure that all the audiophile options would be available ...

@kensn -- when you run your method, are your 2 HTPC's running the common library as clients of the mediaserver, or are they DLNA libraries? Just curious, don't really want to test this at home ..... If they are DLNA, are you getting gapless playback? what about other options like leading/ending silence adjustments -- thx.

@Hamsi - do hope you have a solid and fast network, especially if you are accessing those big files from external drives. Also, you might want to check that your folder structure is somewhat similar on all drives eg. Music/Album Artist/Album Name or Classical/Composer/Album or Various Artists/Album -- makes the admin easier IMHO using the Library tools of jriver. Classical can be a pain - beware of filenames+paths longer than 254 characters.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2013, 10:32:08 am »

...headless doesn't mean running totally blind, however.

Since it resides among stereo electronics, it's really big pain to attach monitor, keyboard and mouse. I can do that for a few days for setup only, not later.

Why? Mediaserver is fast light, and EASY to set up. You would have the same limitations using something else regardless -- or maybe I'm the one confused ?  
Well I was trying to explain that actually there is a simple way to do what I need. A program called hoax by JRiver does it in streamer mode. I could play on headless HTPC from PC screen. Just after installing, no set up needed, no remote desktop needed. But I can't talk about it here, because of messages containing it's name are deleted by JimH immediately .

this will allow you to have multiple zones configured on the CAPS, shown on your PC  if needed

I'm not sure if I need extra zones. I can get sound from HTPC (renderer) only. PC will be server and controller, I think (I wish).

#1 will not like I believe csimon indicated.  
Then what will be #1 like?

Read Chris Connaker's Article linked above. Your Desktop will be  the "control"; your CAPS will be the "renderer" and run MediaServer on Win startup.
I have read it, learned the protocols, at the end what draws my attention: hummer home renderer as a HiFi component.

@Hamsi - do hope you have a solid and fast network, especially if you are accessing those big files from external drives. Also, you might want to check that your folder structure is somewhat similar on all drives eg. Music/Album Artist/Album Name or Classical/Composer/Album or Various Artists/Album -- makes the admin easier IMHO using the Library tools of jriver. Classical can be a pain - beware of filenames+paths longer than 254 characters.
I have a real gigabit ethernet switch and two CAT5E cables comes to each PC inside the wall. Folder structure is also OK, renamed by me one by one.

csimon

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2013, 10:43:38 am »

#1 will not like I believe csimon indicated.  

I guess if you are not going to be ripping from optical media then you can use Remote Desktop to do all maintenance remotely. But I haven't found a neat solution to ripping from a client.  What I use as a HTPC is silent and has no optical drive.

The easiest and most reliable way I've found is to have two separate libraries and not use "client/server" at all.  Do all maintenance and ripping in a local library on the "client" and, depending on how many and what kind of changes have been made, either Remote Desktop to the "server" and make the changes again, or run an import, or restore a backed-up library from the "client".

Arindelle

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2013, 01:30:38 pm »

I guess if you are not going to be ripping from optical media then you can use Remote Desktop to do all maintenance remotely. But I haven't found a neat solution to ripping from a client.  What I use as a HTPC is silent and has no optical drive.

The easiest and most reliable way I've found is to have two separate libraries and not use "client/server" at all.  Do all maintenance and ripping in a local library on the "client" and, depending on how many and what kind of changes have been made, either Remote Desktop to the "server" and make the changes again, or run an import, or restore a backed-up library from the "client".
Assuming you are talking about using a NAS? I'm sorry, still have not added to your post yet on syncing, at least for me, 98% of any maintenance/admin can be done from a client. It doesn't matter if your "silent" HTPC has an optical drive or not. Of course you'd rip from the client directly to the NAS (or to the HTPC) - if this is too slow, rip locally and transfer the files to where you are "serving" from for the HTPC. Then simply go to Remote Desktop click import and a minute or less later, close off the remote connection. Done. Open MC on the client to load the "MASTER" library (probably the HTPC Main) - and do the tagging from the client when you have the chance. Reopen RD when you want to backup the library of the HTPC but that's fast.  There is a caveat in syncing but I'll explain that in your other post. But basically, if you manually sync the library every 5 or ten minutes there is no reliability problem and it can't get easier. Your backup routines are also simplified. Also, if you rip a bunch you can also listen to them right away, and wait to tag another day (oops that rhymes  :P)

I suppose it could depend on speed of the network and maybe the speed of the NAS itself. Maybe your workflow for backups and such .... but still to restore "secondary" local libraries? I don't understand why you would do that. Now I'm not serious about Video as some are, and I can understand the guy who has a Home theater in the basement with oodles of terabytes worth of ripped blue rays, with all his audio in the living room having two separate libraries. But if your talking about 1 main entertainment area, the simplest is to have one "Master" library IMHO.  I don't want to turn on the client PC to listen to music on my stereo, but I'm happy to turn on my HTPC to do admin from the client. I could also see a library clone sometimes if one were to spend more time listening to music through his work station than his stereo maybe. But not a temp library like your talking about .. maybe I'm missing something though  :)

@Hamsi - haven't forgot about you  , but it cocktail time  8)

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2013, 01:51:10 pm »

csimon

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2013, 02:05:25 pm »

Assuming you are talking about using a NAS? I'm sorry, still have not added to your post yet on syncing, at least for me, 98% of any maintenance/admin can be done from a client. It doesn't matter if your "silent" HTPC has an optical drive or not. Of course you'd rip from the client directly to the NAS (or to the HTPC) - if this is too slow, rip locally and transfer the files to where you are "serving" from for the HTPC. Then simply go to Remote Desktop click import and a minute or less later, close off the remote connection. Done. Open MC on the client to load the "MASTER" library (probably the HTPC Main) - and do the tagging from the client when you have the chance. Reopen RD when you want to backup the library of the HTPC but that's fast.  There is a caveat in syncing but I'll explain that in your other post. But basically, if you manually sync the library every 5 or ten minutes there is no reliability problem and it can't get easier.

Yes, the media file store is on a NAS. But I feel what you've described is actually quite contrived.  You cannot actually rip from a client, i.e. while it's connected to a library server, therefore it's not actually a client (that's why I put client and server in quotes). You have to switch library to a local library to rip, so you therefore either have a copy of the entire library locally or some sort of scratch local library.  Ripping doesn't sort out all the tags that I want so I have to do manual tagging. Either in the local library first and then "sync" it to the master (if you've gone down the route of having an entire local copy) or run an import on the master to import it there and then tag using remote desktop. Or, as you say, switch back to the remote library, import the newly ripped CD, tag things on the client then wait for a sync to kick in or set it off manually.  If you're doing several lots of ripping, this all gets really cumbersome.

It does matter if the server has an optical drive as if it did I wouldn't have to do all the above to rip! I could use RDP, but that's not ripping from a client.

It would be so much easier to allow ripping while connected to a library server. No switching between libraries, no synching, no remote desktop, it would just happen. Ripping should happen in exactly the same way when connected remotely as when doing a local rip. Insert a CD into the drive, press the rip button, CDs automatically imported into the library, tag them, do cover art, data available instantly on server and all clients. Done.

I suppose it could depend on speed of the network and maybe the speed of the NAS itself.

Fast network and fast NAS.  :)  The bottleneck is in switching between libraries and connecting and reconnecting and remote desktopping and running imports and syncs etc.

but still to restore "secondary" local libraries? I don't understand why you would do that.

It's much easier and quicker to do everything locally then backup and restore the complete database. It takes about a minute to do the complete backup and restore I guess, which is far quicker and less brain-work and ultimately more reliable and instant than all the library switching and synching. You go to the menu on the "client", select backup, then on the "server" go to the menu and select restore. I can't see any advantage of the synching method, how is it easier and quicker?

the simplest is to have one "Master" library IMHO.  I don't want to turn on the client PC to listen to music on my stereo, but I'm happy to turn on my HTPC to do admin from the client.

Correct, that's exactly the way it should work. Transparently, without switching libraries, without synching, without remote desktopping etc.

csimon

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »

I should add that while you may think the steps are easy to rip on a client, these steps are not explained anywhere and it's left to everyone to work it out for themselves after hitting brick walls trying to do it and getting error messages, and learning the hard way by things not working properly.  You try to rip while connected to a server and it tells you that you can't.  Well, what are you supposed to do?  If you disconnect then you're not ripping to the server, it's not logical. Why would I want to disconnect from the server if I want to import a CD there? Hence my original thread on the subject, not understanding why things weren't working and asking for best practices and, in particular, why the need to sync from a local library to the server when apparently you're already connected to the server. I would expect to have to sync when using a local library and wanting the changes propogated to another library. I didn't understand what was happening and therefore couldn't work out what to do.  I've still to get synching working by the way, which is why I've given up on it and using the backup/restore method. It kept telling me I couldn't run imports while connected to a remote server, then it wanted authentication which I set up but it still didn't work...

Arindelle

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »

"contrived" ?! got your proverbial dander up huh   ;D  I THINK I see why this seems simple to me and complicated for you. You are ripping from within jrmc and I am not!! I meant ripping on a PC which is not the server; so not ripping from the "client" of the " jr media server". Sorry for the confusion. Ripping from an HTPC with an optical drive to a Nas or ripping from another PC on the network should take the same amount of time ...

I use dbpoweramp to rip and configure my masks and do a lot of the retagging prior to the rip.  Do not want to start an argument about the pros and cons, but the deal breaker for me is that it seems like jrmc almost forces you to work directly with a local libray open on a machine - correct me if I'm wrong of course -- haven't tried it in awhile. Anyways no time to try to convince you now ... have to eat  8) Sorry I was not detailed enough

chrisxyz

• Recent member
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2013, 02:40:38 pm »

Dear hamsi!
If I understand you, you want to play music from an "audiophile" PC (low noise, no keyboard, no monitor) to your directly connected DAC and then to a directly connected amplifier and you want to listen to the music in the room where the "audiophile" PC is located. Additionally you have a second PC and a NAS (your music files are stored on both PCs and a NAS - but I am not sure). I suggest that you first decide where the music is stored: Directly on the "audiophile" PC or on an other place ("streaming" which could be done by different ways).

I have a partly similar situation: A "headless" "audiophile" audio PC connected to a DAC in my living room (LR) and a second PC in my working room (WR) (both Win7). Both PCs are in the same home network using WIFI. I decided to play the music directly (all music files are stored on LR). My solution looks a little bit complicated and is completely different to yours, but I am happy with it, because it helps me to have a clear structure for storing my music and it "forces" me to make backups. Maybe it could be interesting for you because it uses MC only on one PC and you could not get into trouble with different libraries / zones / servers and clients and different locations where your music files are stored:
* I installed MC only(!) on LR. Additionally I installed Teamviewer (free for private use; there are also other similar programs) on WR. So it is possible to see the complete "Monitor" of LR in a window of WR.
* I rip - and tag - my Cd's on WR using dbpoweramp. These original rips are stored in a specific folder on WR (you could also install MC on WR for ripping; I simply use dbpoweramp because I was used to it.)
* I have a second folder on WR which I call Audio-Bak. This folder is defined as a network folder. So it also can be seen from LR. The folder includes two subfolders. One is called "Transfer" the other is called "Audio PC SIK".
* Then I copy(!) the ripped files to the order "Transfer", start Teamviewer and use the virtual "monitor" of LR in order to copy the new files from the network folder to the local hard disk of LR, where they are automatically imported by MC. Again using Teamviewer I use MC and look at the tags and sometimes correct them in MC (tags are stored inside the files).
* At last I use "robocopy" (it is also free; it copies only changed or new files) which is installed on LR to make a backup of the music files and of the library of MC on the network folder of WR (folder "Audio PC SIK"), and I delete the files in the folder "Transfer".
* At the end I have three different sets of my audio-files: the original (should
there be some problems with tagging afterwards), the files stored on the audio PC and the backup on the network drive of the PC in the working room.

It looks very complicated, but it works without problems. I use Gizmo in order to play the music, but you told us, that you do not mind to stand up and to go to your "other PC": There you easily could use Teamviewer in order to see MC in the virtual "monitor" of LR  and play your music on the audio PC (Speed is OK even with my WIFI-connection and should be even faster with your network cable. Additionally you could use Teamviewer to install updates (Win / MC..) on your computer and you could use your NAS for a final backup or instead of the network drive of my PC in the working room.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2013, 03:04:03 pm »

Dear chrisxyz,
Thank you for your reply.
Since it hates vibration and noise, I can't store the files on audiophile PC directly. I'm going to search for Teamviewer and robocopy which I think will make my life easier. Thank you again.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2013, 03:17:38 pm »

MC on the HTPC has frozen, IE was opened up and connected to JRiver web page saying:
Critical Error
 The program you are using is corrupt.
 Please download from the link above. Uninstall the old version and install the new one.
Purchase
Please purchase. JRiver is constantly improving the program. Your support makes this possible.
Save $10 now
Save $10 when you purchase by using this promo code:
 Download and install first. Then use the Help menu in the program to purchase.

The version I use was: 18.0.206, now installing v18.0.212

csimon

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »

You are ripping from within MC and I am not!!

Aha!

Well, MC's ripping seems more "complete" and self-contained and works very well and quickly, with useful methods of filing them in your own folder structure, but it introduces complications with doing it on a client. I originally did use an external ripper but it couldn't use the tags that I wanted to populate so it was double the work to rip externally, populate with standard tags, import into MC then tag again.

Do not want to start an argument about the pros and cons, but the deal breaker for me is that it seems like MC almost forces you to work directly with a local library open on a machine

Yes, I think that's the crux of the matter.

chrisxyz

• Recent member
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2013, 04:30:54 pm »

Since it hates vibration and noise,
I understand you very well! It took me a lot of work - and especially time - to build a silent PC.

If you want to use Teamviewer as a workaround and maybe also robocopy: You simply could rip the CDīs on your "other PC", copy them to the NAS, and set the audio path in MC to your audio folder on the NAS (it should work, but i have no experience with a NAS). And donīt forget a backup... Two hints: Teamviewer is a software for world-wide remote support, but there is an option to restricted it to your private LAN. And please be careful with robocopy: there are some options which could be dangerous (e.g: if you delete a file on the PC it also could be deleted on the NAS and the other way round).

Arindelle

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:25 am »

Basic 2-pc client/jrmedia server set-up (with or without NAS) vers. 18.0.212

First of all, want to make something clear - if the text sounds dry or "know-it-all" its just for expediency" I do not considered myself an "expert" with a capital E. This may not be the most elegant way to do this, and I might have made an omission or two. Also, some of the steps are maybe known to all, but I thought it might help someone who is really starting form scratch, and could be applied to other peoples systems, not just Hamsi's dungeon of audio Nirvana.  ;)

So consider it a check list rather than some condescending waste of time wall-of-text, plz. ;D

Also if anyone wants to chime in with mistakes or better ways to do this, feel free and I will edit it.

Assumptions : Monitor/keyboard temporarily available for initial setup; control/admin will be performed from client; all drives accessible to Hamsi's CAPS; Playback Options and audio setup are understood by the OP; Remote Desktop (or something similar) recommended for small amounts of admin/tweaking. I'm limiting this to audio, but the same things would apply to Video, Images etc.

I will add my "workflow" for admin/ripping etc at the end. I was going to add screenshots, but I don't think they are necessary.

to avoid confusion

MASTER Library=principal MC library being served/shared - to avoid semantic issues with the "Main" library which will exists as a local library on every machine with MC installed
PC1=PC with MediaServer.exe running a.k.a. SERVER - not to be confused with a NAS, external drives etc. [Hamsi's CAPS or HTPC]
PC2=PC a.k.a. CLIENT which will load the MASTER Library as a library share in MC (not a DLNA connection)  and be considered a client from within MC. [Hamsi's DesktopPC]
Headless: I don't like using this term like this but for this post it means without a monitor or in-room controller on Hamsi's CAPS2

Pre-install recommendations:  
- map all drives to be accessed ; avoid unnecessary sub-directories to keep path+filename short and consistent throughout if data cannot be centralized and easily renamed using jriver library commands if/when needed  : e.g. NASDRIVE G: /Music/Various Artists/Album would be present also on the PC1 F: /Music/Various Artists/Album. Path+filename must not be longer than 254 characters.

Set up PC1 server first. Start simple and get it up and running. After the initial auto import (see below), Configure Playback Options and any Device Settings. Make sure you are happy with the audio settings, and additional configs and Windows setup. If needed, create zones for different devices/dacs etc. Test listening, library access, views, etc. (sorry won't go into multiple zones or zone switch here). [A work-around to cheat if views and UI are already setup on another machine - backup its library and restore it to the PC1 -- afterwards "clear" (not delete) the library and reconfigure Playback Options]

PC 1 (SERVER)

1) Verify/Configure Library Fields

Options=> Library and Folders=>Manage Library fields
a- If you have to set or create any custom fields, adding expressions, do so
b- Look at all fields that are important and make sure " Save In File Tags (when possible)" is checked -- (personally I do this with all of them).
c- If you want certain fields to become default search fields, check the box and/or change expression

2) Configure Covert Art and Backup Options

Options=> File Location=>Program Files
a- recommendation: choose network accessible location other than a PC1 local directory
b- recommendation: keep roaming on the local C: drive

Options=> File Location=>Cover Art
a- check "Also store image in the file's tag"
b-recommendation: Audio Mode: Same folder as the file (as folder.jpg) - this will make your life easier later IMO
c- with the above checked it doesn't matter what the other options are set to for audio usage only

3) Configure Auto Import

Options=>Library & Folders=>Auto Import
(also at File=>Library=>Import=>Configure Auto Import)
a- recommendation: leave "Run auto import in background" unchecked (IMO this is just more problems than its worth for importing, unless you are recording TV programs, podcasts etc.)
b- start the Configure Import wizard and add all necessary paths - click edit per path for additional options if required
c- important: check "Update for external changes" and Fix Broken links YES (I would highly recommend "Fix broken YES (protect files on missing drives)"
d- recommendation: I would not check "Ignore Files Previously removed from library"; I personally don't use the other options available - individual choice
e- Click Finish to confirm and run it for the first time - check from a file view that all files/paths are visible and all formats are "playable").  Future "auto imports" will retain these settings unless changed; [Note the MASTER Library would normally be called "Main")

3) Configure/re-configure Playback Options and, if required, DSP settings.

Options=>Audio
a- set up audio preferences
b- Listen to some music to be sure - check that playback is indeed "bit-perfect" and, if you have an external DAC that has input indicators, check that source bit depth and sampling rates are what you are expecting

4) Set-Up Media Server

Options=>Media Network
a- check use Media Network to share this library and Enable DLNA; follow the wizard which will test the network and give you an access key.
b- verify now that your router/firewall/a.v. software will not interfere -- try to make sure to allow 52xxx ports to be open, especially port 52199
c- check the "Authentification" Box
d- click Add/Configure DLNA Servers to check that just "Generic" DLNA is showing - if this is the case, cancel out of this
e- click advanced, verify that the TCP Port = 52199; check the 3 DLNA box choices (note: I don't think this is necessary for this setup, but I have always checked these -- won't hurt anyways)

5) Configure Startup options (Important if there is no monitor on PC1)

Options=>Startup=>Windows Startup
a- choose: Media Center AND Media Server

OK -- PC1 done! Now on to PC2/Client

I have not of course gone into all the options possible but these are the steps I consider crucial to set up a master library/Media Server PC. I might have made an omission or two which I'll try to double check later.

Arindelle

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:41 am »

PC 2 (CLIENT)

Pre-install Recommendations:
Check to see that all media shows up locally. Make sure that all paths are shared and have read-write permissions, and that there is no problem with administrator accounts. To run the PC1 without a monitor I presumed that everyone understood to NOT set a password, allowing the computer to boot directly into MC without any user input. If you were looking forward to Access Control in version 19, forget it without logging in -- so keep your kinky stuff in the closet Hamsi!  ;D

You don't have to do this now, but I'd get it out of the way.....  

If you want to use Remote Desktop from PC2 occasionally, you will have needed to allow it to connect without a password. If you don't know how to do this (I certainly don't retain this stuff personally :)) , here you go ..

- Go back to PC1 - Click Start=> Run=>type gpedit.msc, which will open the Group Policy Editor.
- Open Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security
- Options\Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
- Double-click "Limit local account use of blank passwords to consol logon only".
- Choose "Enabled", and then click OK.
- Quit Group Policy Editor.

NOTE: By default, this policy is on (disabled) running gpedit avoids messing with the registry and has to be done on Win Pro, Ultimate or enterprise. PC2 does not have to have these versions of Windows installed.
Recommendation: I think it is always better to assign via your router interface fixed IPs for each machine. I personally would do so at this time if you don't want your son's Blackberry taking the address of the server machine.

1) Configure "Client" Options

Options=> Media Network
a- do not enable "Use Media Network to Share ..." (well you could but don't :p )
b- Auto sync with server -- recommendation (for now): don't enable
c- Play local file if one matches ...: enable (recommended); later on, user's choice
d- Show playback zones: enable (necessary if multi zone setup on PC1!)

2) Connect to Server Library

File=>Library Manager=> Add Library (also accessed by the tree)
a- in the Add Library box that pops up fill in a name (something easy like downstairs)
b- Click on the button for Library Server - fill in the access key that you got from step 4 of the PC1 setup. You can also fill in the IP address of PC1 on your LAN (a fixed one!)  -- if you forgot, you can get this by running "cmd" and type ipconfig in DOS it will start with a 192.168 probably -- click OK
c- On the Tree, under "Playing from", check to see that Main Library (PC2's local library) and whatever you named PC1-Server's Library are both showing up.

3) Load PC1's Library fro the first time

File=>Library=>Name of PC1's Library just created
a- it loads automatically
            -OR-
Tree=>Playing Now=>Playing from
a- click on PC1's library you just named
b- Click "Load Library"

DONE !   :) You can unplug the monitor now (well maybe keep it just in case for a day or two) Now I would like to see Hamsi running through his house after getting the music to play,  without missing the first few notes  ;D

If there are multiple zones on PC1 they will (should^^) now show up. Going to Tree=> Playing Now => Overview allows quick switching between zones (both local and from the PC1)

It won't be often that you would need to do any switching back and forth to libraries. MC remembers the last library accessed. When you run PC2, it will automatically load the Media Server Library. PC1, as I warned, has to be on or there will be an error and a Retry message box will appear.

Note: Not all settings are  "zone specific" You may have to reload the local library for some things like tweaking the UI or setting up audio playback on PC2. But once that's squared away, you don't have to switch unless you really want to.

Once again if I made any errors/omissions let me know. I there is a more efficient way, suggest please.  :)

Arindelle

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:58 am »

Workflow/Admin without a monitor

Basic Operation

I think this is pretty obvious so I won't go into detail. Choose the where you want to play your music or media. Choose the what you want to play. Go Listen :)

a-under playing now make sure your Named MediaServer Library is loaded. To illustrate I'll use my config here ... I have named the PC1's Main Library "Downstairs" so in "Playing from" it should read Playing from Downstairs (if not load it like described above)
b- Choose a zone under playing now directly or from Overview accessible from the Tree or from Player=>Zones if you have configured them (the PC1 "zone" or zones would be preceded by There: xxxx  if no renaming was done. I have named mine always with Upstairs or Downstairs. You can also be listening to a different zone in PC2 and controlling PC1 at the same time or link zones for simultaneous playback (not the subject of the post today)
c- Select the music/playlist whatever and well, that's it. Play direct from the player or right click on your selection for a large choice of playback options.
See the pic I posted above, if needed http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2884/9485531403_55e50169f9_c.jpg

Admin/Ripping and everything else

1- Ripping

I personally I use an external program to rip. Depending on lots of variables (like speed of network, speed of ripping PC, and especially the number of CD's you are ripping)  there is a choice if you want to rip to a local drive and then copy to a network drive or share or not. By using an external program there is never a need to change the loaded library on PC2.  I rarely rip one or two cads -- usually it is at least 10. So I rip to a local, shared directory and copy them all when finished to the drive(s) configured in my import setting in JRiver - your choice... Regardless I would not recommended importing CDs to the local library (except for a special reason ... like a local conversion to Mp3 for example)

For those of you that are fans of ripping with JRiver, you will have noticed that you cannot do so unless a local library is loaded. I have never found a way to rip with out auto importing the tracks (even with autoimport disabled) (if there is, chime in). Well, it's not the end of the world. Takes 2 seconds, if that, to load the local library. Rip, then choose a file view=>select all and delete them the newly imported stuff. When the warning box comes up delete ONLY from the media (local) library, not the files themselves of course. Copy file folders over to where you want them permanently, if you have not ripped to that location, basta cosi.

2- Remote Desktop Use (or another external program)

The only things other than the configuration of PC1 that come to mind that you can't do directly from the PC2 Client are library manipulations, backups and restores, and album art modifications. There are other things of course, but you won't be needing to do them regularly. Repeat recommendation -- undo the password protection. At best it slows the connection down, at worst you might have to get into the PC1 directly to muck around -- not great if you don't have a monitor IMHO. With a grain of salt, a little tip ... if the connection is slow to log on cancel it, and redo it -- for some reason, for me this allows almost immediate access. Also I find it very handy to have set up WOL (wake on LAN) - that way you don't even have to go to the PC1 to even turn it on.

a- Importing

This is one of the few things you can not do from PC2 (well I see there are command line expression now, but let's leave those alone for now). So if you don't have a monitor, here's where Remote Desktop comes in handy. Simply connect to PC1 using RDC, and import the newly ripped music (see below in my "workflow") File=>Import=>Import Folder or Autoimport. For info, remember that importing a folder will only import what you choose. It will not correct anything.

Where autoimport (as configured above), will also reanalyze all the files in the database, and correct broken links -- it can also remove things it cannot repair. If you have had a problem and are hoping to resave your tags from the library to the files, understand that you can lose the metadata. Pretty rare, but can reset certain tags like played skipped etc.

b- Maintenance/Admin on PC1

Right Click=>Cover Art=>Quick Find in file/Cover Art Directory.
This is also a good time to modify album art. I do this by finding it on the client PC and saving it to the folder of the album in question. In jriver on PC1 (now through remote desktop) simply select the files If you have followed my recommendation above and the art is in the album folder and named folder.jpg this is very fast.

RightClick=>Library Tools=>Rename, Move & Copy Files
If you have major changes and need to re-point the database or significantly change the arborescence of your network shares -- select all the files that you want to change paths and go to the Rename tools. MAKE SURE that "Directories" is NOT checked. Check Find&Replace and Fill in the paths. If you followed my recommendation all drives will have a similar structure -- this should be simple and fast e.g.; Find what: H:\Music; Replace with: X:\Music\Various Artists (see below^^).  You will be actually moving the files physically on the disk. Check the preview pane to make sure before just clicking the button.

Just a reminder which is obvious, and no patronizing intended -- backup your media frequently, but don't forget to backup the PC1 (Media Server) library often too.

** Select files RightClick=>Locate=>On disk (Inside Media Center)
I use this all the time, it is really fast. Of course you can also do this on the tree but this can be tedious....  Another tip, take it for what its worth again, If you screw up on your rip or didn't check it thoroughly, you might want to rename a folder or change Hatfield, Juliana to Juliana Hatfield, whatever. Do this from explorer "internal" to MC and not directly from Windows. These changes will be immediately noticed by MC (database will re-point without breaking any links or having to run autoimport. You can also do this from PC2, but depending, you might have to run autoimport later to clean up some links.

3- Tagging, Retagging and Syncing from PC2 - Client

File=>Library=>Sync Library
All tagging can be done from PC2. There are a variety of ways to tag in MC. I think it is important to understand a little about sync though ... I recommended to set the option for autosync to off for a reason. It is a true sync in the sense that it does go both ways. I've tried to time it but it seems to me every two or three minutes or so the real Media Server library updates itself as well as the client for whichever records are more recent.  As a default if I'm tagging for an hour or two I disable it ... if I'm just listening to music with an occasional tag here or there I put it on auto.

Although I can not explain the why, I have sometimes spent a half an hour retagging a multi disc opera. Now you'd think that at worst you'd lose things only for the past two or three minutes.... Well, on too many occasions I've lost the last half hour of tagging. If you are re-Tagging a Foo Fighters album, you don't have to worry much.  I think this is because the loaded library is a temporary file and if you keep the tag box open on a group of selected tracks or albums it is not actually written until you close it. [Anybody want to confirm this, plz?] I've gotten into the habit of, every five or ten minutes or so, manually syncing the library ...  why not wait until your done, you might ask? Well, this operation locks JRiver on my PC2 for the time it goes through the process. Not much to process in 5 or 10 minutes but in thirty minutes I could have changed a lot of stuff. Experiment and you will find your rhythm. I you were to run a third PC which does no tagging, this you would put on automatic.

This may be a bit strange that the "virtual" library is set up this way, but I'm pretty sure this accounts for the amazing speed you can get networked from MC with a lot of tracks

Some times mistakes are always made so I have a couple of simple smart lists that I use for duplicates and broken links, missed music analysis -- if you are lazy and you want to use them, copy these  to a smart list with the import button ...

BROKEN LINKS:
Code: [Select]
[=IsMissing([Filename])]=1
DUPLICATES:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[Name],[Album],[Duration] ~sort=[Album],[Track #],[Artist],[Name],[Bitrate],[Filename]-d,[Media Type],[Disc #]
NO MUSIC ANALYSIS:
[Media Type]=[Audio] [BPM]=[] [Duration]=>35If anybody is interested here is my work flow (simplified) -- if not stop reading now  :P

A - Rip/Import
1) Rip or copy to  \\Temp folder (which is also included in my autoimport config)
2) Verify and rename if necessary the  folder (e.g. The Kills remove the "The" -f I already have albums by the Kills they will go in the right place and not create a new directory; multi-artist compilation that my ripping mask missed move to \\Temp\#2 - Various Artists)
3) If the album art is less than 500x500px, I find a better one and rename it folder.jpg and put it into the appropriate album folder
4) Open Remote Desktop and Import only the folder \\Temp
5) I select all newly imported files and immediately tag them with "zRetag" which to me means I haven't verified the metadata yet. I use the field [grouping] for this

B- Retag
1) Filter for only tracks still with my incomplete tag "zRetag" from PC2
2) Complete tagging, verify dates soloists etc using link to Allmusic guide from my menu bar. When complete, I replace zRetag.
3) Run my 3 smart lists listed above to see if there is a duplicate or a problem. If so, I remove the duplicates if need and run autoimport to fix any broken links.
4) Move the temporary files to their permanent location

I run this smart list :
[Filename (path)]="D:\Temp\" [File Type]=[flac],[mp3] -[Groupings]=[zRetag] ~sort=[Filename (path)],[Album],[Album Artist],[Track #],[Date Imported]-d
This will give me everything that has been completely tagged and verified, but still in my Temp folder. Select all the list and use the Library Tool "Rename, Move & Copy Files" which is set to Rename (move files if directory changes) with only Find and Replace checked ...  like this Find what: x:\Temp Replace with: x:\Music. Which, btw I have set as a pre-set.

I have a view designed for retagging, but basically I know that with my  "zRetag" in the grouping field, I haven't finished and I can pick up where I left off ...

Finally I do a library backup and an incremental backup of my media.

That's all folks ... works for me  ;D

Again, if I made mistakes or there are better ways to do this, please comment.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2013, 03:27:26 pm »

I hope JimH does a favor and move those three posts in first page or makes your messages a sticky thread. Thanks for your effort.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2013, 03:38:39 pm »

I understand you very well! It took me a lot of work - and especially time - to build a silent PC.

If you want to use Teamviewer as a workaround and maybe also robocopy: You simply could rip the CDīs on your "other PC", copy them to the NAS, and set the audio path in MC to your audio folder on the NAS (it should work, but i have no experience with a NAS). And donīt forget a backup... Two hints: Teamviewer is a software for world-wide remote support, but there is an option to restricted it to your private LAN. And please be careful with robocopy: there are some options which could be dangerous (e.g: if you delete a file on the PC it also could be deleted on the NAS and the other way round).

Hi chrisxyz,

I couldn't see which features of TeamViewer goes far beyond the functionality of the ordinary Windows Remote Desktop for me?

I had bought Nero BackItUp program, but I used to use Microsoft's free SyncToy2.1(64) to sync and backup, I think Robocopy is a bit faster.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2013, 03:53:45 pm »

vers. 18.0.212 is worse than the previous version. PC2 frozen and I couldn't see the error message before it goes to blue screen. PC1 has restarted spontaneously thrice; stopped playing twice and now continues playing with no problem about half an hour.

The error message on PC1 was:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2013, 05:00:10 pm »

A blue screen, if that's what you had, is a hardware or driver problem.  The error message you showed above is not a blue screen.

A PC restarting is definitely a hardware problem.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:42 am »

A blue screen, if that's what you had, is a hardware or driver problem.  The error message you showed above is not a blue screen.

A PC restarting is definitely a hardware problem.

Sure this is from PC1 and white :D

blue screen was on the PC2 and error message stayed only one second so I couldn't get it.

First I'll change the USB keyboard and mouse, and may be I need to change computers, if it's caused by hardware.

chrisxyz

• Recent member
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2013, 01:00:50 pm »

Hi chrisxyz,
I couldn't see which features of TeamViewer goes far beyond the functionality of the ordinary Windows Remote Desktop for me?

Hi hamsi!
I thought that Windows Remote Desktop is only available for the "enterprise" versions of Win ("Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise"). I use "home premium" so I never tried to search for the programme and I do not know it... But: I think it would be great to not install an additional piece of software on an audio PC, if you have the possibility to use Windows itself. I think you do not need much features: The remote desktop programme should save the password on the audio PC which is necessary for remote access: you do not have a monitor, so you do not like changes :). For me it also was important that I could restrict the programme to my LAN (I do not know if this is possible in other remote programmes and maybe this is just paranoia). Another reason for using Teamviewer  - which I guess is not important for you - was that Teamviewer has an Android app. So I was able to sit in front of my loudspeakers and could "play" with different audio settings of MC (DSP,..) on my Tab. However, at the end I set everything back to bitperfect.. I am sure that other remote desktop programs also could serve your needs very well (I simply was too lazy to try out other ones..).

I had bought Nero BackItUp program, but I used to use Microsoft's free SyncToy2.1(64) to sync and backup, I think Robocopy is a bit faster.
I always thought that Synctoy is just a specific GUI for robocopy, it is interesting that there are differences in speed!
I wish you much luck with your bluescreens!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up