INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED by Arindelle: networked PC's (without a monitor)  (Read 25374 times)

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
SOLVED by Arindelle: networked PC's (without a monitor)
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:18:45 am »

My headless audio PC is connected to DAC. It runs JRiver Media server only.

I want to run JRiver on my desktopPC and listen music through that audioPC. Isn't it possible?

I couldn't find how to set up both PC's,
need your help.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media server mode problem
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:10:37 pm »

Refer to your "audio PC" as the Server, and your "control PC" as a Client.  This is one way to do it.

1. Enable Media Network on both the Server and the Client (Tools/Options/Media Network).
2. On the Client, enable "Show playback zones from the server on the client", which is under Client options in the above menu.
3. On the Client, you should find the Server listed in the left-hand Playing Now menu under the Playing From.... item.  Select it and then Load Library from the page that follows.  This will enable you to browse the Server's library on the Client.
4. Under the main Playing Now menu, choose where you want the music to be played. If you want the Server to play it then you should find an entry called "There", or similar.  The "Player" item refers to the local PC, i.e. the Client, which you select if you want the Client to play the music.

If you want to be able to make changes to the library on the Client then enable "Auto sync with server", however this requires authentication to be turned on and I have no experience with that!

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:43:26 pm »

it doesn't work this way.

It had worked a while when I choose DLNA "controller" for the control PC and "renderer" for audio PC.

My files and NAS server are on the control PC. Audio PC is connected to the DAC and works for playing only.

csimon

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »

It does work that way, I'm doing it myself right now on my two PCs.

DLNA is irrelevant when controlling one installation of MC with another, it's adding an extra layer that is not needed.  Turn off the DLNA options on your PCs, they're probably confusing things.

Have you followed the steps that I gave above, and if so which bit of it is not working? Can you see the Server in the Playing From list (step 3)?

I'll show you what I am seeing.  My "controller" (client) PC is called Origen-PC. My "audio" (server) PC is called Intense-PC and has 3 zones, called 2 Channels, Lounge TV, and Multichannel. Lounge TV is a DLNA renderer and the other two are sound cards in my audio PC. In my Playing Now menu, I see:

Overview
..Origen-PC
..There: 2 Channels
..There: Lounge TV
..There: Multichannel
Playing from Intense-PC
..Main Library
..Intense-PC
..Add Library

If your "audio PC" does not appear in Playing From, try Add Library, and it will ask you for the IP address of the "audio PC" or the Access Key that was given to you when you set up Media Network.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:28 pm »

I have followed first 2 steps. I can see neither the "server" nor the "there:..."

csimon

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 01:35:47 pm »

Try Add Library.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:39:19 pm »

maybe screen capture from the control PC=Client, shows you where I did wrong:

csimon

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:42 pm »

Expand the Playing From Main Library item and select Add Library.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:56:01 pm »

select Add Library: it asked me the access key, and now I can see the "there"...

But when I try to play any file on "There", no sound.
An error message appears on the audio PC= server:
"The database entries for the selected files are missing or invalid."

csimon

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:58:44 pm »

Go back to the steps in post #2 and try again.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 02:05:36 pm »

I repeated all, and I get the same error message on the audio PC= server:
"The database entries for the selected files are missing or invalid."

csimon

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 02:12:10 pm »

Try disabling the "Auto sync with server" and "Play local file..." options in your screenshot above.

To clarify, in your Playing Now menu you have now got "There: xxxx" selected as your zone and you have "Playing From <your audio PC>" displayed?

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 02:24:45 pm »

disabled, I get same error message again on the audio PC and it doesn't play.

Screen capture is:

csimon

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 02:52:03 pm »

I'm a bit stumped there. Are you using Remote Desktop to connect to the headless PC?  If so, try rebooting it and *don't* remote desktop to it, then try MC again. I don't know but there might be some issues with Remote Desktop putting the remote PC into a mode where its local hardware (sound card...) is not available.  But clutching at straws here!

Also, have you got Authentication turned on in the Server's media network options? If so, turn it off. You'll need it for synching but for the moment we're just trying to establish a connection.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »

I'm not using Remote Desktop to connect to the headless PC. It runs JRiver servermode only and they are on the same network connected via Cat5e.

Screen captures are from ControlPC.

I have tried Authentication turned on and off, nothing changes.

I connected a monitor to audioPC to see what's happening there: still the same error message - "The database entries for the selected files are missing or invalid."

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 10:30:47 am »

I've chosen "Auto sync with server"; I've loaded the audioPC's library on the desktop PC. It doesn't play when I add songs on audo PC's library from the control PC.

I'll have to attach a monitor, keyboard and mouse to headless PC after adding songs to library then come back to control PC to start and stop those songs.

How can I play the files on my desktop computer through the audioPC?

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 04:28:22 am »

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the JRiver to be sure to get factory settings.

Started from beginning: enabled Media Network on both the Server and the Client (Tools/Options/Media Network). And then tried all alternatives of loading library on both computers.

If I add the library of the server on client: I can't add new files to play. I should go to server PC to modify library. (since it's a headless PC cause me pain, everytime to add a monitor)
If I add the library of the client on server: I can add new files on client to play on server. It works for 16bit and 24 bit files. When I added DSD or iso files on desktop PC, it doesn't play on audio PC. " An error message appears on audio PC saying: "something went wrong with playback" (bitstreaming is selected on client and server also)  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 06:53:37 am »

As csimon says, it would help if you used the correct terminology.  One PC is a server.  The other is a client.

Please read the DLNA topic on our wiki for more.

A firewall may prevent access.  Either side could have this problem.

Run your "headless server" with a monitor for a while to make sure it's doing what you need.  On that server, MC's Media Server must be running.  See the options in MC's Start section for what happens on Windows Start (login) on the server.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 11:23:51 am »

Thank you JimH for your reply.
I have read DLNA topic on wiki several times over and over again. And I did what it says over and over again.
Started from the beginning one more time, please tell me where do I wrong?
1. Attached another monitor to audio PC. I turned off firewall on both computers.
2. I'll call audio PC as the "Server"; and control PC as the "Client" anymore for not to confuse. To be sure I changed even the names of the computers as Server-JRiver and Client-JRiver respectively.
3. Enabled Media Network on both the Server and the Client. Choosed Generic DLNA on both the Server and the Client. On the Client, enabled "Show playback zones from the server on the client".
4. turned on all 3 DLNA options on the right side (server, renderer, controller)
5. see pictures
On the Client: I can see the Server's name (only, the word "There:" is absent) below Player under Playing Now menu. "Server (Library server)" and Client:username Libraries (besides Main Library) appeared under the PlayingfromMainLibrary menu.
Pic1-Client1:

On the Server:  I can see the Client's name (only, the word "There" is absent) below Player under Playing Now menu. Client (Library Server) and Server:username: libraries.
Pic2-Server:

6. On the Client, selected Server-(Library Server) and then loaded Server's Library
Appearance on the Client has changed: servername became "There"; nothing has changed on Server screen. (see pic)
Pic3-Client2:

7. Ready. I added a song There on Client computer. It seems OK on Client screen; there is Seq number only on the Server screen. When I click Play button on Client nothing happens.  On the Server an error message appears: "The database entries for the selected files are missing or invalid."
8. Then, I enabled "Auto sync with server"on the Client. Nothing changed. I clicked "Sync Changes with Library Server" on Client computer - the Server (Library server) which library I had loaded. Nothing happens.  On the Server same error message appears: "The database entries for the selected files are missing or invalid."
9. On the Server, I added the Client's folders Library and Folders to watch. Nothing changes, only Seq number is visualized and on the Server same error message appears: "The database entries for the selected files are missing or invalid."
I can't think of anything further to do. NEED HELP.
Lovely and simple DLNA topic on wiki doesn't help, it doesn't include detailed how to do.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »

Can you load the server's library from the client?

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »

Yes, I can see the files added in Server on Client.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 01:29:27 pm »

Can you play them on the client?

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 01:46:56 pm »

yes I can.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 01:59:46 pm »

When I delete the files on Client, they are deleted on Server too. But still I can't add files.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 06:14:29 pm »

I have installed windows 8 on Server. Repeated all, and nothing changed.

I added another (3rd) computer to the network.

I turned off Client, and tried to use 3rd computer as Client. Result is same.
I turned off Server, and tried to use 3rd computer as Server. Same.
I turned off Server, and tried to use 1st Client as Server and the 3rd computer as Client, and vice versa. Same.

Windows 7, Windows 8 or different (hardware) computers doesn't change the result. I can't add files on the Client for Server's Library. It seem as if it's added on Client, but doesn't play the song. On Server, seq number is visible only.

Am I expecting something JRiver can not perform? Isn't there anybody who uses 2 computers? I was using Jplay before JRiver, JPlay used to control the other Jplay on 2nd computer, so I think there is no network related problem.

Still NEED HELP. Would you please show me the way to reach the JRiver program support?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 07:36:49 pm »

Yes, two computers are often used.  Please read the DLNA topic on our wiki.

Try playing from another PC and then try playing to another PC before you try to use a PC to control the playback.

The topic called Network Access on the wiki might also help.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 01:07:01 am »

Dear JimH,

I have read all topics on the wiki again. I tried all combinations with 3 computers. On the Client: I can see the files added on Server. But when I add files on the Client, Server can't play those files. This must be a bug!!! or I repeat the same mistake over and over again. I can't find it by myself.

When I add a song There on Client computer. It seems OK on Client screen; there is Seq number only on the Server screen. When I click Play button on Client it doesn't play.  On the Server an error message appears: "The database entries for the selected files are missing or invalid." What does this mean? What does it tell me to do?

On the Client: I can delete the files added on Server, but I can't add new file.

Maybe trick is here: if I try to sync with Library Server, the songs on the Clients list is replaced by Server's list. I need just the opposite. What should I do?

Topic on the wiki says the listening on the Client is possible. What I'm trying to do is "listening on the Server".  May be this is the fault.  I have read all topics for days, and tried all alternatives. This shouldn't be a rocket science, why did I spend all my time on this issue... why can't I find a way for about 2 months?

Would you please help me to contact somebody who could manage to do this or the support guy who knows how to do.

"wiki:...You can listen to your home computer's Media Center library at work. You need to run the Server on your home computer, and the client on your work computer..."

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 03:44:00 am »

"wiki:...In order to be able to play all file types on the Client, it is important that the media file path is the same for the client as described in the file paths of the Library and used on the Library Server system. This may require mapping the drives used on the Library Server MC on the Client. You will need to do this in Windows Explorer on the Client..."

This is the last thing I'm not sure about.
I have shared all folders which includes audio files and and clicked full control permission for everyone.
I have added those folders on Server and Client File&Folders - configure auto import - for the program to watch. :(

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 03:53:40 am »

Following error message appeared after clicking "Sync Changes with Library Server" button.

Then, I have added a user name and password on Server (authentication). And I entered them when it asks that user name and password on Client. :(

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 04:04:27 am »

"on wiki:
Manual Sync
You can also manually sync changes from a client and get changes on the server manually. To perform a manual sync, on the client from the main program menu, select File > Library > Sync Changes with Library Server.

Tried it.  :(

csimon

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 04:04:33 am »

"wiki:...In order to be able to play all file types on the Client, it is important that the media file path is the same for the client as described in the file paths of the Library and used on the Library Server system. This may require mapping the drives used on the Library Server MC on the Client. You will need to do this in Windows Explorer on the Client..."

This is the last thing I'm not sure about.
I have shared all folders which includes audio files and and clicked full control permission for everyone.
I have added those folders on Server and Client File&Folders - configure auto import - for the program to watch. :(

I think what this means is that if your server has imported the files from a path such as D:\Media Files\Music then on the client the music files also have to be accessible via D:\Media Files\Music.  This might involve mapping a network drive on the client to the server. But you might have problems if the file path that you need to define is already in use on the client.

For example, if your server imports from D:\Media Files\Music and you do not currently have a D: drive on the client, map D: on the client to D: on the server.

If you are using UNC paths (maybe to a NAS), e.g. \\NAS\Music Files, then this path needs to be accessible from the client.

I don't know what to suggest if the D: drive is already in use, or if your file path is C:.

You don't have to set up auto-import on the client because it will not be doing any importing.

However, I'm not even sure if the file paths have to be the same anyway, becuase there is an option somewhere that says "play file locally if it exists on client", or something like that. I assume this means that the file path doesn't actually have to be accessible from the client, but if it is available then the client will retrieve the file itself rather than having it delivered via the server.

I'm sorry that all this is not working for you, I find it all confusing too and I don't really know how to help you.

csimon

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 04:06:38 am »

"on wiki:
Manual Sync
You can also manually sync changes from a client and get changes on the server manually. To perform a manual sync, on the client from the main program menu, select File > Library > Sync Changes with Library Server.

Tried it.  :(

I've had issues with this too, and can't understand it or get it to work!  See http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80806.0

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 04:17:57 am »

Ok, I'll tell you how you can help me:

Pls simulate this condition with 2 computers. If it works, tell me how did you set up both computers. If it doesn't then try to find a solution for this JRiver bug.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 04:26:31 am »

I'm not after syncing all staff. All I want is to play through my headless computer which is located next to my DAC and connected to home network. I'll do everything on my desktop PC.

csimon

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 04:37:54 am »

Pls simulate this condition with 2 computers. If it works, tell me how did you set up both computers. If it doesn't then try to find a solution for this JRiver bug.

See Post #2, it's working on my network (apart from synching) and that's how I did it. I don't know how to help you because you've tried those steps and it's not working, I have no other ideas.

I'm sorry, I'm not JRiver staff!  Just a user.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 04:41:12 am »

It means it doesn't work for you either.

how can I reach the JRiver staff?

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 05:03:35 am »

Maybe root of the problem lies here:

" on wiki:
What Is Synced
File adds (server adds always go to clients, client adds go to server if the server can reach the file)
"

I have tested it for a disk and a folder in NAS that can be reached by computer named Server. It didn't work for each.:(

Hilton

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 05:48:57 am »

My solution to your latest issue of client sync with your media server is to just have a mapped network drive on the client linking to the media servers network share and save all files directly to the media server.  I only ever use the media servers library and media files so I have no need for a client library to be synced.  It works exactly the way it sounds like your trying to use it but your over complicating it.

I dont think you will get much sympathy or support here carrying on like that either.   Its a community support model and the developers try to help out where they can.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 06:38:24 am »

Thank you HiltonK. I'm not sure I understood you correctly.
1. On Client: I mapped network drive which audio files saved in.
2. And then on Server, too .
If I add files on Client. It doesn't work, I can see the Seq numbers only

If I add all files on Server it works (first file). Is this the only way? I will have to give up headles PC idea.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 06:39:08 am »

Are the two PC's on the same LAN?  

If not, you should use Library Server, not DLNA, if you're trying to play across the Internet.

In either case, a firewall on either machine can prevent access.

Nobody will walk you through setup on this.  You need to proceed slowly, checking each step, and making sure you understand what you're doing.

Getting help from someone who works with networks is another possibility.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 06:41:41 am »

It looks like you're trying to play dsf files.  Try mp3 or something more common.  dsf might be possible, but it's a very big file to try playing across a network that might not be very fast.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 07:23:06 am »

Thank you JimH for your reply.
Two PC's are on the same homegroup. Firewall is turned off on both computers. I have tried all alternatives I can think of. Since there is nobody else who can make it work this way, I think it's not a network problem. It's a kind of program error that developers should take care of. On the Client: I can't add files. Why don't you pass this message to those unreachable gentlemens?
I have tried with MP3, flac and wav too.
(please see Reply #37)

Arindelle

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 07:41:22 am »

Look, for starters your original post is still confusing to me --- you seem to be computer savvy, and maybe as Hiltonk very politely suggested, lets simplify this , cause this is going in circles here.  

My headless audio PC is connected to DAC. It runs JRiver Media server only. I want to run JRiver on my desktop PC with no speaker (all files are here) and listen music through that audio PC via intranet. Isn't it possible?
First, I read all the files are here (like a PC with no speakers has your files in it) then I start to think you have a NAS. Then I think there was some confusion that you want to stream by "internet" (possible btw), but you said "intranet" (like local network). I'm sure most people use jriver on multiple computers, so its very hard to "replicate" your problem.

SO -- I'm not sure if you have a NAS or not but lets get some semantics out of the way, and when I get off work (another 5 hours GMT+1) I think I can help you if I understand your system.  Let's use this as an example (forget Audio PC headless etc.). I also think you are getting confused with libraries and zones maybe but not sure ...

Lets say, just for the moment that you have 2 PCs running just Win7 -- one has the files on it. One does not. Normally, the one you have the files on PC1= SERVER, PC2=client.  

The server must be accessible (on or can be "woken up"), for the client to control or playback the media. You can TAG and organize your "principal" library (server PC library) from the CLIENT, but you must import from the SERVER. You can control playback from each, but the configs are not (all) Zone specific. If you want to go headless (which I interpret to mean no monitor) It is highly recommended to temporarily attach a monitor or at least a TV for its initial setup. With two PCs like this example below you want to share libraries not use just DLNA.  

The reason I say "principal" library is that each PC running jriver will have its "main" library which is really a local library. The CLIENT must load a remote library from the SERVER in this case

Now before going on, have to get back to work, reading the thread, I'm assuming the following:
  • that you have checked eventual problems with firewall and AV software
  • that you have checked that your router is also not blocking anything and the PC SERVER allows the port 52199 specifically
  • that you can temporarily attach a monitor to your "headless" (I have a solution if you can't buts its a pain
  • your headless HTPC is an actual PC and not a streaming box like Sonos or a Linn or Naim "device"

So questions/clarifications if you don't mind please - just to be sure

are your filenames including paths longer the 254 characters?

what machine will actually hold your media files (right now I'm assuming its your desktop PC or is it a NAS? (really confused about that one sorry)

can you check what Media Type these files have been tagged (eg Movie, Audio, etc) and what file extentions are you using?

I feel for your frustration, sometimes post get lost in the sauce so to speak which would explain the lapse between your June post .... but looks like people have been responding repeatedly since then  (including the CEO for Pete's sake) so keep your pants on and you'll be up and running soon.

BTW the unreachable gentlemen you refer to are here to help, and aren't paid to do so -  if you haven't already read this, please do http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43159.0.

Hilton

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 08:45:39 am »

Thank you HiltonK. I'm not sure I understood you correctly.
1. On Client: I mapped network drive which audio files saved in.
2. And then on Server, too .
If I add files on Client. It doesn't work, I can see the Seq numbers only

If I add all files on Server it works (first file). Is this the only way? I will have to give up headles PC idea.

Try not adding files from the client media center library.  Add new files to the network share on the Server and then use the servers library to playback from the client.
You will also need to add the network path to the file share on the server to the default file locations under Library and Folders and set it to auto-import so that it will automatically scan and detect new files and add them to the server library.  If you want to edit tags and album art from the client you'll have to use the client library and try and get the library sync to work.  From what Ive seen your network is working between the PCs

Otherwise you will have to troubleshoot why your client isnt scanning the network file share properly.

I just re-read your original post and wonder if you can confirm something.
It sounds like you are actually using the desktop-pc as the server and the audio-pc as the client and just want to play back files stored on your desktop-PC to the audio-pc.
This changes things somewhat as you are really just using the audio-pc as an audio renderer.

What I suggest in this case is to set the audio-pc to use your desktop-pc library to play files from the network share locally to the DAC and use your desktop-pc to add files to its local library and make tag changes and album art changes locally on the desktop-pc.  You are essentially pushing files to the audio-pc which means the audio-pc is actually the client and the control-pc is the server.

csimon

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 08:58:58 am »

If you want to edit tags and album covers for new files you'll have to remote desktop into the server and do it from the server as the client cant edit remote library tags or album art from my understanding.  If you want to edit tags and album art from the client you'll have to use the client library and try and get the library sync to work.

This is something I've never understood, as seen here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80806.0

I have an always-on keyboardless server PC and want to able to connect to its library. So I set up library server and on the client select the server under Playing From.  That's fine and it works for playing media on the client from the server's library.

So now I am connected to the server's library, right? So why do I have to use library sync to sync changes *back* to the server? This sounds like I'm using a local library on the client which has to be synched.  This is allured to in your statement above, you use a local library on the client and sync changes back to the server (in which case it's no longer a server as the "client" is using a local library and not connected to it, it's simply another copy of MC and you're duplicating the database!). But this is contradicted in this Wiki articale http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync which says that to use a server sync, you have to have one or more clients connected to it.

Can someone clarify or me exactly what I have to do to be able to connect to a library, which I'll call my "master", and to be able to make changes on it remotely?  Do I have to set up a sync or not?  Am I using a local library on the client or not? I can bump the above thread if this is taking this particular thread off-topic

Hilton

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2013, 09:29:18 am »

This is something I've never understood, as seen here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80806.0

I have an always-on keyboardless server PC and want to able to connect to its library. So I set up library server and on the client select the server under Playing From.  That's fine and it works for playing media on the client from the server's library.

So now I am connected to the server's library, right? So why do I have to use library sync to sync changes *back* to the server? This sounds like I'm using a local library on the client which has to be synched.  This is allured to in your statement above, you use a local library on the client and sync changes back to the server (in which case it's no longer a server as the "client" is using a local library and not connected to it, it's simply another copy of MC and you're duplicating the database!). But this is contradicted in this Wiki articale http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync which says that to use a server sync, you have to have one or more clients connected to it.

Can someone clarify or me exactly what I have to do to be able to connect to a library, which I'll call my "master", and to be able to make changes on it remotely?  Do I have to set up a sync or not?  Am I using a local library on the client or not? I can bump the above thread if this is taking this particular thread off-topic

My understanding is that connecting to a remote server library creates a local cache copy on the client and it syncs up when changes are made on the server. If you have authentication enabled it will be 2way sync where changes on the client will update on the server.  Now I've looked into the threads and at how my system is setup I can see that my client can play, delete and edit tags on the server.  Any changes made on the server will also automatically show up on the client.

Arindelle

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2013, 09:37:52 am »

Quote from: Hiltonk
If you want to edit tags and album covers for new files you'll have to remote desktop into the server and do it from the server as the client cant edit remote library tags or album art from my understanding.  If you want to edit tags and album art from the client you'll have to use the client library and try and get the library sync to work.  From what Ive seen your network is working between the PCs

Careful, you most certainly CAN modify tags provided that the share permissions are set to read/write. Frankly, this is an extremely important function of MC -- without resorting to remote desktop complications at all. I don't think I could live without be able to retag remotely. Hiltonk is correct that you can't (well, not directly) edit album art ...  

Quote from: csimon
Can someone clarify or me exactly what I have to do to be able to connect to a library, which I'll call my "master", and to be able to make changes on it remotely?

Would like to stay on topic, but I can reply later in more detail on your link csimon ... but for the info of the OP, basically, what you can't do from the client : Backup or restore  (the servers library or Master library that is); modify/import album images; import media directly into the Servers "Master" library; change Master library paths/filenames.  Basically all you need to do to remotely control these changes is - give read/write share permissions for the media file folders; have the MediaServer program running in the background of the ServerPC; connect the Client either with the password or the IP address of the Server PC. You would then set the auto sync option to on .... I HIGHLY recommend to use the manual sync every 10 minutes or so, as the autosync is very low priority and is not immediate all the time ( @csimon: more on that later)

Hilton

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2013, 09:41:10 am »

Careful, you most certainly CAN modify tags provided that the share permissions are set to read/write. Frankly, this is an extremely important function of MC -- without resorting to remote desktop complications at all. I don't think I could live without be able to retag remotely. Hiltonk is correct that you can't (well, not directly) edit album art ...  

Would like to stay on topic, but I can reply later in more detail on your link csimon ... but for the info of the OP, basically, what you can't do from the client : Backup or restore  (the servers library or Master library that is); modify/import album images; import media directly into the Servers "Master" library; change Master library paths/filenames.  Basically all you need to do to remotely control these changes is - give read/write share permissions for the media file folders; have the MediaServer program running in the background of the ServerPC; connect the Client either with the password or the IP address of the Server PC. You would then set the auto sync option to on .... I HIGHLY recommend to use the manual sync every 10 minutes or so, as the autosync is very low priority and is not immediate all the time ( @csimon: more on that later)

Yes I picked up on that just before you posted.  I edited my post! ;)

Arindelle

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:35 am »

Yes I picked up on that just before you posted.  I edited my post! ;)
oops sorry didn't notice

csimon

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 09:55:18 am »

My understanding is that connecting to a remote server library creates a local cache copy on the client and it syncs up when changes are made on the server.

Thank you.  I think that's what was beginning to sink in but as this "cached local copy" that is copied from the server at start up, was not mentioned anywhere none of it was making any sense and why the need to sync back to the server. The library server, in effect, is acting like a cloud server, or a CalDav server, whereas I was expecting it to behave like a network drive where there is only one copy of what you are accessing therefore changes happen simultaneously both ways. It's a misperception to think of "connecting to a library server" and "using the server's library" as what you are doing actually is connecting to and using a local copy at all times.

[EDIT: I guess this also explains why it's difficult to implement imports, ripping, backups, restores etc from the client)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up