INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Analyze audio for videos  (Read 27223 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
NEW: Analyze audio for videos
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:56:56 am »

MC19 can analyze the audio inside video files to get useful information like the R128 Loudness, Dynamic Range, Peak Levels, and more.

This makes it possible to use 'Volume Leveling' during video playback so that videos with different levels will play at an equal loudness.

The information can also be used by 'Adaptive Volume' to improve the experience by minimizing volume changes.

Finally, the information may be interesting from an academic and/or geek perspective.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: NEW: Analyze audio for videos
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 04:08:33 pm »

FYI - Seems to work with Particles as well  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:05:44 pm »

JIM82

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:32:46 am »

Yes but dialnorm (BS1770 or R128) standard is defined during mastering.

For media DVD/BD with dolby or DTS track, dialnorm defined the adaptative volume.
Metadata is already on dolby or dts track.

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:39:52 pm »

Matt,

when analyzing a video file with multiple audio streams (like it is the case with almost all disc "rips" -> BDMV, DVDs,..) - which streams get analyzed with MC19? All of them, and then applied correctly when switched? Just the "main one" autoselected by LAV splitter?

Would it be "useful" to add the option to analyze disc based media (playback straight from CD, DVD, BD) as well - and store the resulting meta data in a HD folder? Especially ripping large collections of Blu-Rays entirely to HD storage space isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Modern disc drivers aren't "that much slower" than some (external/low power) HDs - so analyzing will take some time but it would allow using one of the great benefits of MC19 with all media.

What do you think? 

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:32:58 am »

I was about to post the same question as TheLion.

I have no idea which tracks it analyzed and how I make it switch or control which track to analyze. I would prefer to be able to do them all.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:26:32 am »

Would be great if this feature can be used to fill the audio tags of movie files (Bitrate, AC3/DTS/DTS-HD) I think Channels is tagged already right now.
This is something, i've been missing, too. Shouldn't be to difficult to sort out, or am I wrong?
Bitrate 0-640->AC3
Bitrate 768-1500->DTS
Bitrate above 1500 ->DTS-HD/TrueHD
Some BluRay Movies and Bluray Audio/Concerts get released more than one time. With better Picture Quality or better Sound Quality for example.
So it would be easy to look in MC, if i have the one with better sound quality or not.
Would be nice.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

xynoe44

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:35:37 am »

Was also curious about which tracks are analyzed.

Would be great if this feature can be used to fill the audio tags of movie files (Bitrate, AC3/DTS/DTS-HD) I think Channels is tagged already right now.
This is something, i've been missing, too. Shouldn't be to difficult to sort out, or am I wrong?
Bitrate 0-640->AC3
Bitrate 768-1500->DTS
Bitrate above 1500 ->DTS-HD/TrueHD
Some BluRay Movies and Bluray Audio/Concerts get released more than one time. With better Picture Quality or better Sound Quality for example.
So it would be easy to look in MC, if i have the one with better sound quality or not.
Would be nice.

+1

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »

MC19 can analyze the audio inside video files to get useful information like the R128 Loudness, Dynamic Range, Peak Levels, and more.

Will this work with recorded TV as well? I assume it will, since they are just another form of video.

If so, how will this work with TV that includes advertisements? While TV stations and the authorities assure us here in Australia that advertisements are, in fact, the same volume as the program content, we all know that they sound louder. The advertisements will be included in Audio Analysis even though I skip them when I watch the program.

Will the advertisement volumes suppress the volume of the content I want to watch, the TV program, or will Volume Levelling and Adaptive Volume set to Peak Level Normalize cater for the volume disparity and ensure I can still hear the TV program between ads?

Just thought I'd ask.  :)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:45:18 pm »

Will there be an option added to "analyze audio during ripping" like there is for a CD? I would think this would be faster than having to analyze later.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 10:26:03 pm »

Will there be an option added to "analyze audio during ripping" like there is for a CD? I would think this would be faster than having to analyze later.

This prompts me to check whether audio is analysed during recording of TV video. That would be a sensible move if it's technically feasible.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 03:59:40 am »

Any word on whether TV recordings can be automatically analysed during recording or immediately thereafter?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:05:23 pm »

Any word on whether TV recordings can be automatically analysed during recording or immediately thereafter?

By process of observation, I've had a look at the tag meta data of an unwatched, recorded show and I can see that audio analysis values are present. So, the function discussed appears to be included.

Nice one guys ..  :D
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »

That is odd as the reason I asked is my system is not adding the audio analysis tags for TV recordings. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere to trigger this? Using 19.0.32

Paul.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 12:17:53 am »

Maybe it's a case of setting up auto import.

Sure would help if one of the MC Team would pipe up rather than this mix of guess and detective work.. ;)

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 05:04:39 am »

I setup auto-import to analyse the audio for imported audio, and that works when I import a video. However my TV recordings still have no audio analysis unless I manually invoke the analysis.

I'd be grateful if someone from J River could chime in here and let me know whether TV recordings should be automatically analysed or not.

On a related note, you may consider making the auto-import options configurable within the 'Options' window under the Tools menu. I found it non-intuitive having them configurable in a separate window from all the rest.

Rgds
Paul

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 07:09:40 am »

On a related note, you may consider making the auto-import options configurable within the 'Options' window under the Tools menu. I found it non-intuitive having them configurable in a separate window from all the rest.

Rgds
Paul
"Tools > Options > Library and Folders > Configure auto-import..."?

or are you saying that you don't like the new window that that spawns?

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 06:47:24 pm »

ok - I never found that window. The reason being that I used the search function within options to look for 'analyze' and those import options never appeared in the results. I'm guessing that is because they are within a separate window.

Not sure if that comprises a problem or not, however it did stop me finding the import options without asking for help. Perhaps I could have searched more thoroughly, but I chose to trust the search function instead.

Rgds
Paul

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 06:45:56 pm »

Still waiting for someone from JRiver to clarify whether TV Recordings should automatically have their audio analysed if that option is checked in the Import Options...

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 09:28:42 pm »

bump

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 12:06:25 am »

I think they should, but people have been reporting that analyze audio on import is not working correctly for video files in recent builds.
Double-check your auto-import settings to see that it's enabled for video - it's a separate option from audio.

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 07:08:40 am »

Yes that option is checked. Looks like a bug then - audio analysis not working automatically for TV recordings.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 02:26:14 pm »

In 19.0.54 I still can't analyze 3 music videos (all extracted from the same blu-ray disc). The process starts, is calculating (percentage rises), once it reaches 99% the status changes to "error" and then back to "Waiting" again and all fields remain empty.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 07:15:16 pm »

Applying "Analyze audio for videos" to my 900+ movie library hangs MC 19 about a third of the way through (running overnight). What's the practical limit for analyzing an existing library or folder? I could temporarily put the files in a bunch of smaller folders if that would help.

Goatshade

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 03:28:34 am »

Since I kind of derailed my own thread, I figured I'd post this here:

When analysing videos with multiple audio tracks, does it analyse all tracks therein, or only the main (default) track?

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 06:03:24 am »

Since I kind of derailed my own thread, I figured I'd post this here:

When analysing videos with multiple audio tracks, does it analyse all tracks therein, or only the main (default) track?
The currently selected track is the only one analyzed. (either the default, or the previously selected one if you have changed it)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 01:03:57 am »

MC is applying an incorrect value of 52.00 dB for 'Volume Level (Replay Gain)' for few of my videos.
I imagine the correct value should be around 5 dB like most of my other videos.
This unnecessary 50± dB increase in volume is unbearably loud and is far beyond what my stereo can handle.

Out of a fairly large collection it is happening with three dvd rips and one blu-ray rip.
When analyzing the dvd's MC only takes one second to finish.
When analyzing the blu-ray everything appears normal. It takes about 30 seconds or so and stops at 100%.

I suspect these rips are from discs with some sort of error on them (I have 50 or so rips that just won't analyze) and
I doubt I'm the only user with these sound bombs in their library.
This could give an audiophile the worst day of their life.

Maybe a solution is to have a maximum value of 20 dB for Volume Level or give a warning before allowing playback of files with large values.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 06:53:51 am »

I suspect these rips are from discs with some sort of error on them (I have 50 or so rips that just won't analyze) and
I doubt I'm the only user with these sound bombs in their library.
This could give an audiophile the worst day of their life.

What is 'Volume Level (Replay Gain)' set to for the files in question?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 11:10:09 am »

What is 'Volume Level (Replay Gain)' set to for the files in question?

'Volume Level (Replay Gain)' tag field is 52.00 dB for all troublesome videos.

In audio path, while playing, the dvd's shows a change of +38.5dB and the blu-ray shows a change of +40dB.

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 01:20:19 pm »

How are you ripping the discs? I wonder if the analysis is being performed on the menus or something rather than the main feature, if you aren't ripping to MKV.

FYI I have videos which are supposed to have more than 20dB of gain applied, so limiting it to that would be a problem.

You might want to enable Volume Protection, if it is not already enabled.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 02:07:37 pm »

How are you ripping the discs?
Anydvd --> rip to hardisk folder.
The rips are then imported to MC as an ifo. I don't convert or alter the rip in anyway.

I wonder if the analysis is being performed on the menus or something rather than the main feature
It could be. dvdshrink shows several 1MB audio files on the dvd's, and analyzing only takes 1 second.

You might want to enable Volume Protection, if it is not already enabled
I just emptied the Volume Level fields.
I'm not too concerned about about a solution for my videos. I'm just posting this info incase there are other people with problematic videos.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:20 pm »

'Volume Level (Replay Gain)' tag field is 52.00 dB for all troublesome videos.

In audio path, while playing, the dvd's shows a change of +38.5dB and the blu-ray shows a change of +40dB.

Is there any way you could make a troublesome video available to me for testing?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 11:06:06 pm »

Is there any way you could make a troublesome video available to me for testing?
I will email you a link. Hopefully by tomorrow evening.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:48 am »

Thanks.  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:02 am »

Still waiting for someone from JRiver to clarify whether TV Recordings should automatically have their audio analysed if that option is checked in the Import Options...

TV Recordings should be analyzed if 'Analyze audio for video files' is checked.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 01:11:15 am »

I emailed a link to a dvd. I compressed the hardisk folder into an iso for upload.

I have terribly slow internet so I had to shrink the dvd.
I replaced the video with a frame every 1 second. No changes were done to the audio.

Its the best I can right now. If you need the original copy, or more problematic videos, I am happy to supply them.
It will just take some time. The blu-ray I have issues with is 25 GB.
Maybe just easier to send them in the mail as gifts for you guys. Let me know.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 09:03:43 am »

Media Center can't play the ISO or analyze audio on it.  Please advise.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 02:15:00 pm »

I couldn't upload a folder so i had to make an iso.
Lots of ways to deal with it.

Mount it with virtual clone drive or windows 8.1's built in mounting.
or
Mount it then rip it like you would a regular dvd.
or
Use an archiving software like winrar to simply unzip/extract it.
or
Burn it to a disc with imgburn then rip the disc.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 03:49:08 pm »

This will be fixed next build.  You'll need to reanalyze the files in question.

Here's the history to look for:
Fixed: MC would not correctly parse some DVD's with an unusual authoring scheme.  The result was that we did audio analysis on the wrong title (like one of the very short menu titles).

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:31 pm »

Fixed: MC would not correctly parse some DVD's with an unusual authoring scheme.  The result was that we did audio analysis on the wrong title (like one of the very short menu titles)

After updating and re-analyzing, all dvd's have correct 'Volume Level (Replay Gain)' values. They are around 3 instead of 52.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2014, 08:45:13 am »

After updating and re-analyzing, all dvd's have correct 'Volume Level (Replay Gain)' values. They are around 3 instead of 52.

Thanks.

That's awesome.  Thanks to John T for the fix!

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 08:23:55 pm »

Tried this feature yesterday. All went through except one blu ray that stopped at 80%. I ran it second time with the same result. The bluray is Sade, Bring me home, live 2011.

Alex

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 03:07:41 pm »

Tried this feature yesterday. All went through except one blu ray that stopped at 80%. I ran it second time with the same result. The bluray is Sade, Bring me home, live 2011.

Alex

Is there any way you could share the problem file?

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 11:14:02 pm »

Actually, I moved the file to another location did re-import, and then analyzed again. This time it completed.

Sorry for confusion.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up