INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Upgrade to MC19 -- Any Questions?  (Read 74511 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
How to Upgrade to MC19 -- Any Questions?
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:56 am »

Upgrade Instructions and Links

Features of MC19

JRiver Media Center 19 is available on the Download Page.  This is always our most stable build.

Newer builds may be available in a thread near the top of the MC19 board.  The thread will have a title like "JRiver Media Center 19.0.xx -- Available Here".  Download it, install it, and restore your MC19 license if necessary.

If you purchased MC18 after July 1, 2013, you received an MC19 license that will work with both versions.  Just install MC19.  It will find the license and your data.  It would be a good idea to back up your data before installing MC19.

Download and install the program first.  Instructions for restoring your license are on our wiki.

If you haven't purchased a previous version of JRiver Media Center, the price is $49.98.  Download and install first.  Then purchase from the Help menu in the program.

audunth

Re: Upgrade Problems and Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:50:22 pm »

Every time I upgrade to a new version I have to fix my library because the new version does automatic library updating tasks without asking me, for example renaming my Scandinavian tv series and movies to English titles. Every time it's a year since the last time, so I don't remember exactly how to avoid it. I know, I should write it up. I have a hard time understanding why software is written to make changes/updates to a perfectly working library without asking.

How can I make the upgrade process as smooth as possible and make sure MC 19 leaves my library 100% the way it is? Or is it finally fixed in this version?

And yes, I do know it doesn't touch the MC 18 library, but imports/converts it to MC 19, which I assume will use a slightly different format than the previous version.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:54:46 pm »

MC19 will convert your MC18 data (or MC17).  It won't rename anything.  Neither would MC18, but maybe you imported fresh instead of converting.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:15:22 pm »

18 to 19 was the smoothest upgrade for me so far. Kept all settings, customizations  and views, I was impressed.

I still always make a library backup first though...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:40:14 pm »

Also you can install 18 and 19 side by side so if 19 is breaking things you can always uninstall and go back to 18...

If you do have issues, I would let everyone know in this thread so such problems can be fixed...

audunth

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:47 pm »

I always install the new version alongside the previous one for a while in case of unstability in the new version. The problem with the last update was that when MC 18 imported the MC 17 library it immediately and without asking proceeded with automatic tasks on it, which in my case messed it up a little. In MC 17 I had all auto tasks switched off, but somehow that setting wasn't ported to MC 18. Which had me wasting an hour or two resolving the situation. Just wanted to know ahead of time if the same is going to happen this time, so I can be prepared for it. If MC 19 imports the auto-task settings from MC 18 first and then the library, it shouldn't be an issue.

An important thing to be aware of for users running MC 18 and MC 19 alongside each other is that you have to maintain two separate libraries.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:20:09 am »

Maybe this is the best thread for this:

No replay gain tag information transferred to MC19 from MC18.  It has to analyze my entire library all over again.  The wait on this is painful.  Maybe it can be fixed.

audunth

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 09:43:05 am »

I assume that's because MC 19 uses a different method of analyzing the audio, and the new method isn't compatible with the data from the old method. More info here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82025.0

I don't think that's something that will be fixed, other than maybe making it the analysis process faster/more effective or something.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

fjlegend

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:35:30 am »

I am getting the same error as Pinky on one machine in my network.  The error reads:  error connecting to server.

Activation code loaded fine on all the other machines on the home network so its not a firewall issue.

Advice?

Kevin

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 10:37:17 am »

MC19 can't connect as a client to an MC18 server.

chander421

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 05:33:36 am »

Hi,

Just bought MC19.  My problem: Wasapi (with Cirrus Logic CS4206B) isn't working anymore (mac mini 2012-bootcamp-windows 7).  MC18 worked flawless with Wasapi...

Any hint?

Thanks

shAf

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:52:18 am »

MC19 can't connect as a client to an MC18 server.
Can I assume MC18 can connect to a MC19 server? ... eg, MC18(Mac)=>MC19 ...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 06:59:22 am »

Can I assume MC18 can connect to a MC19 server? ... eg, MC18(Mac)=>MC19 ...
No.  There is another discussion somewhere on this board.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:01:19 am »

Just bought MC19.  My problem: Wasapi (with Cirrus Logic CS4206B) isn't working anymore (mac mini 2012-bootcamp-windows 7).  MC18 worked flawless with Wasapi...
Try the switch called "Disable Event Style".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 08:36:28 am »

drmike

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 04:46:27 pm »

upgraded from 18 to19, no sound when playing from 19. any suggestions?
thanks,
drmike

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 04:58:04 pm »

Maybe this is the best thread for this:

No replay gain tag information transferred to MC19 from MC18.  It has to analyze my entire library all over again.  The wait on this is painful.  Maybe it can be fixed.

You need to select Volume Level (replay gain) to display RG tags. You only need to re-analyse your files  if you want the new R128 volume levelling & dynamic range (I think)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »

upgraded from 18 to19, no sound when playing from 19. any suggestions?
thanks,
drmike
You may have to set up audio again.  The wiki has several topics that should help.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 08:00:19 pm »

Options > Startup >Windows Startup
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

dualazmak

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 08:20:43 pm »

Options > Startup >Windows Startup

Thank you so much, Kensn.  I will try when I get back home this evening.  (It is now 10:20 AM in Japan!)

Hoho234

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 09:19:32 pm »

PvdImport? I'm guessing this is no longer going to be supported in 19? I have up and working with 18 just fine. Regedited in 19 exactly as it is in 18 and get a message saying, "Interface plug-in 'PvdImport' could not be found or created."
I love this Plugin and hope you will address the issue at hand.

Hoho234

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 11:32:54 pm »

Forget The Last Post about PvdImport. I completely uninstalled it, and removed all references to it in the registry, reinstalled it, added the key, string values and DWORD values. It's working fine now. If anyone else has this same problem, do the above. Should work perfectly.

If you don't know how to change your settings here's how. But don't mess with anything else in there.

Run "Regedit"
Open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
On Windows 7-64bit, you need to Open "Wow6432"
Open JRiver
You may have old Media Center Programs listed. Mine are Media Centers 13 thru 19.
When I installed PvdImport, its default installation went to 15.

On the Attached .jpg you notice two "REG_DWORD" named "IVersion" and "PluginMode". If you have 0x00000000 (0) you'll need to change/edit the last Zero (0) to a (1). That's it. PvdImport will now be ready to run on 19. I would recommend a reboot.

If you haven't messed around in your systems Registry before, Don't do it. Have somebody who knows what they're doing do it for you. If you mess anything up in there, It's not going to be my fault. I warned you. 

chander421

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 03:02:53 am »

Still not working.  MC19 plays the audio stream (audio path is blue) but no sound from the DAC.  Once again, MC18 played all files perfectly with wasapi enabled...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 06:42:18 am »

dualazmak

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 06:47:14 am »

JRiverASIOdriver.dll discussion split
Dear JimH, Thank you for spliting and creating new Post !

Peter-T

Portable MC19 install cannot be registered?
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 02:19:53 pm »

I upgraded from MC18 to MC19 on my W8 PC without problems and registered it (cost 1 restore).
On the W8 PC I installed MC19 on an USB stick via custom portable install and registered it (cost 1 restore).
I used this USB-stick to start MC19 on another PC that runs Windows server 2012. It will run without problems, but it was no longer registered.
I tried several ways to get it registered. Filling in the reg-key leads to a windows that says that registration went OK, but after restart MC19 reports (Help/Reg.Info) that it is NOT registered.
I also used the .mjr file (double click on it). That started MC19, but it still was not registered.
All in all I tried it 3 times and every time I got an email with a new .mjr file and the message that I used 1 restore.
My total restore count is now down to 5. If everything worked as it should, I still should have 8 restores left!

How can I properly register the portable MC19 installation on my USB stick, used on my Server2012 PC?
Can you reset the number of restores to 8?

robertj388

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 05:20:13 pm »

I am trying to play version 19 via parallels and wireless.  Receiver turns on, ready to go, and program always says waiting, no music will play.  It always plays on my computer, but not via dlna to my receivers in the house.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 06:18:44 pm »

It may require conversion for your device to play it.  Please post a new thread on the Media Network board here, with more details.

doright

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 07:17:54 pm »

Trying to download new Standard view skins and Track Info for Standard View. Cant find download button anywhere??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 07:38:53 pm »

I upgraded from MC18 to MC19 on my W8 PC without problems and registered it (cost 1 restore).
On the W8 PC I installed MC19 on an USB stick via custom portable install and registered it (cost 1 restore).
I used this USB-stick to start MC19 on another PC that runs Windows server 2012. It will run without problems, but it was no longer registered.
I tried several ways to get it registered. Filling in the reg-key leads to a windows that says that registration went OK, but after restart MC19 reports (Help/Reg.Info) that it is NOT registered.
I also used the .mjr file (double click on it). That started MC19, but it still was not registered.
All in all I tried it 3 times and every time I got an email with a new .mjr file and the message that I used 1 restore.
My total restore count is now down to 5. If everything worked as it should, I still should have 8 restores left!

How can I properly register the portable MC19 installation on my USB stick, used on my Server2012 PC?
Can you reset the number of restores to 8?
You can use the Install Key to register a second PC and not use a restore next time.  Read the wiki topic called "Restoring a License".

Do the portable install from a PC that is already licensed.  Nothing further is required.

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 06:12:29 am »

Just upgraded to MC 19.0.029 and everything went smoothly..

After testing all formats..
1. On all DSD format the spectrum analyser will not show up but will show up only on other files types... no big deal just wondering why...

2. Notice the .dts file cannot be play ... window pop up saying "something is wrong with the playback"

my DAC is currently Teac UD 501 and setup as follow in Option / Audio
  Audio dev = TEAC ASIO USB DRIVER [ASIO]
  Device setting = no change as default
  DSP & Output format/ output encoding = none
 Bitstreaming = yes [DoP]..

Had tried, checking the DTS and DTS-HD in the bitstreaming...same... still don't play  these dts files....
anything that I missed out???

rgds

audioriver

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 06:55:09 am »

Just installed MC 19.0.29, but it seems I cannot uninstall MC 18. I get the "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working" window.
Windows 10 Pro x64

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:44 am »

Just installed MC 19.0.29, but it seems I cannot uninstall MC 18. I get the "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working" window.

same over here...
read your post and attempt to uninstall and fail...
no posted error though...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 07:20:34 am »

To uninstall MC18, please install the latest MC18, then uninstall:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82824.0
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Peter-T

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 10:01:41 am »

You can use the Install Key to register a second PC and not use a restore next time.  Read the wiki topic called "Restoring a License".

Do the portable install from a PC that is already licensed.  Nothing further is required.

I did do the portable install from a PC (PC1) that was already licensed for MC19 and that went OK. I did have to license the USB-stick-install separately though. This portable install worked fine on PC1 (W8) and even on PC1 under windows server 2012 (from the 2d partition). It remained licensed. Also no problem when I used this portable install on PC2 (W7) : it kept its license.

PC3 running windows server 2012 gave problems : the MC19 portable install lost its license. Whatever I tried to do, it would NOT get a license. Using the reg-key produced the message that the licensing went OK, but after starting MC19 it was NOT licensed. The install key (.mjr) did NOT work either : double clicking on it would startup MC19 without having installed a license.
So I decided finally to do a normal install of MC19 on PC3. That went OK, but I could ONLY license that one with the reg-key and NOT with the .mjr install key.

All these futile licensing trials on PC3 have cost me 3 restore counts. Can I get these back, please?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 10:02:47 am »

You don't need to use restores within the first 14 days after doing one.  Use the Install Key.

If you run out, let us know.  We don't reset them otherwise.

esb1954

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 05:59:28 am »

I tried upgrading from MC 18 to MC 19.  The instal wizard hangs on copies and installing files.  I get message that instal wizard is not responding.  What am I doing wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 06:11:08 am »

I tried upgrading from MC 18 to MC 19.  The instal wizard hangs on copies and installing files.  I get message that instal wizard is not responding.  What am I doing wrong?
What OS?  Is it connected to the Internet?

Is it an old machine?

"Security" software can sometimes be a problem.

Bernt

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 06:49:21 am »

Still not working.  MC19 plays the audio stream (audio path is blue) but no sound from the DAC.  Once again, MC18 played all files perfectly with wasapi enabled...
I have the same problem. Lynx Two B, Win 7 32-bit, MC 19.0.29. Tried "Disable Event Style" - still no go. ASIO works perfect.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:27 am »

I have the same problem. Lynx Two B, Win 7 32-bit, MC 19.0.29. Tried "Disable Event Style" - still no go. ASIO works perfect.

I have a LynxTWO-B, and it's working with ASIO and WASAPI for me.  I tested WASAPI with the default 100ms of buffering, and event style enabled.

Maybe you could reinstall their drivers?

However, ASIO is the best choice for Lynx hardware.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

esb1954

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 09:23:51 am »

I am using Windows 8 on a CAPS zuma music server. I have Internet connection. The install wizard stops responding on install of MC 19.

Roger O

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 04:42:54 pm »

Too many lag issues.  Poor performance and thumbnail issues with movies.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 05:12:52 pm »

once you'd waited for thumbnails to rebuild for your movies... Any issues then?

esb1954

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 09:07:34 pm »

Still am unable to install MC 19.  I turned off defender and the firewall.  Install as administrator and when I select the express install, it goes to the coping files screen of the install wizard and nothing happens.  I can not go back or cancel.  Custom install does not work either.  What should I try next?  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »

How old is the machine?  We've seen a problem that is related to machines that don't support SSE2.

esb1954

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 09:23:18 pm »

It is a new CAPS Zuma with Motherboard: Intel DH77EB  and Processor: Intel Core i7 i3770S.  Windows 8.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:13 pm »

Please read this thread for other ideas.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 09:51:02 pm »

And this:http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82949.0

Bernt

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 05:16:47 am »

I have a LynxTWO-B, and it's working with ASIO and WASAPI for me.  I tested WASAPI with the default 100ms of buffering, and event style enabled.

Maybe you could reinstall their drivers?

However, ASIO is the best choice for Lynx hardware.
Yep, itīs working now. There were many more choices under WASAPI in MC19, one just need to choose the right one...

But I agree, ASIO is the better choise in 19.

esb1954

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 07:01:36 am »

Thanks for the help.  After many tries I finally got MC 19 to install.  It is running perfectly. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up