INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume issues  (Read 4374 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Volume issues
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:43:18 pm »

I have my volume set to system volume.  Have since MC17, but after the last update (10 19.0.104), the volume isn't behaving properly.  I don't believe I've changed any settings relating to the sound.  I have my output set to Direct Sound.  When I have it set to system sound, and I change the volume in MC, it make no difference in the output.  When I change the system volume (with the speaker icon), the music gets louder, but there's no change in MC.

Any ideas on what else I can try?  In the meantime I set it to Internal Volume and set my system volume to 100%, but I'm not a fan of that because then everything else is loud as___.  Thanks!

--Ryan

alc_aardvark

Re: Volume issues
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:26:35 am »

I also now have a problem.  JRiver (19) just did an update.  Now no matter what audio output I select, it is pumping out at 100% volume (and ignoring the PC volume (and JRiver software volume).  I am worried that it has damaged the speakers.

The audio options need to be explicit about what volume control will be used (if any).  I have no idea how to get it to work now and am very afraid to turn it on.  Can someone please help.

Info: I use a laptop (windows 7) with external USB DAC direct to power-amp

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 11:57:38 am »

I have just done some testing on this, using a couple of different sound devices.

When using Kernel Streaming, application and system volume controls do not function, as Kernel Streaming bypasses the Windows mixer.

When using ASIO, the application volume control does nothing, but the system volume control does work.
I think this is a function of the ASIO driver, and will be hardware-dependent. Some drivers are likely to bypass the system volume control.

When using WASAPI Exclusive, application and system volume controls do not function.
I think this is intended behavior, as exclusive mode should bypass the mixer.

The application and system volume controls work correctly with DirectSound and a non-exclusive WASAPI output, as both of those pass through the system mixer.

The Internal Volume control should always be active regardless of output, unless you are bitstreaming.
If you are connected to a power amplifier, I would suggest that you only use the Internal volume control, enable the Volume Protection feature, and limit the maximum volume to something well below 100.

You should check that the "Maximize device volume" option is not enabled if you are using WASAPI, and that "Optimize volume for best sound quality" is not enabled in the "startup" section of Media Center's options.

I would also make sure that whatever audio device is connected to your power amplifier is not the default sound device in Windows.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 12:10:41 pm »

It is working properly here in WASAPI Exclusive Mode.  I can't say for sure how it works in ASIO or Kernel Streaming modes.  That would be dependent on the driver.  I know I used to have an ASIO device (an old M-Audio sound card) that didn't provide a system volume control at all.

* With MC set to System Volume, I can control the volume either with MC's Volume Slider or the System Volume slider (and they match and track each other and control the volume normally).

* With MC set to Internal Volume, I can control the system volume via Windows, and also the internal Volume (separately) inside MC.  I don't know why you'd do this, but it works right.

* With MC set to Internal Volume, and Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Maximize device volume during playback enabled, which is my preference, it:

- Sets the System Volume to 100% and uses MC's Internal Volume setting (the slider) to control volume when playback starts.
    - When playback ends, the System Volume in Windows is immediately reset to whatever it was before.

I wonder if perhaps somehow you got that option turned on (maybe playing with it when reading my other recent posting about volume control) but have MC set to use System Volume.  If so, then, yes, System Volume would jump to 100% upon Playback in MC, and you wouldn't be able to change it with the Volume Slider.

This isn't new, and hasn't changed as far as I can tell, but you wouldn't want that option turned on if you're going to use the System Volume slider in MC.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 12:15:45 pm »

This isn't new, and hasn't changed as far as I can tell, but you wouldn't want that option turned on if you're going to use the System Volume slider in MC.

I tested and that is how it works.  It is logically consistent, of course (not a bug), but it is probably "bad".

If MC's Volume mode is set to System Volume, then Maximize device volume during playback should be ignored.  Having these two settings together doesn't really make sense, and is probably a user error.  You'd only want that option enabled with:

Internal Volume - for use in exclusive playback modes where you want MC to control the volume
Disabled Volume - for usage where all volume control is done on an external device or DAC.

And maybe Application Volume, but I don't know why anyone would choose that mode.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up