INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 19 stops playing  (Read 3732 times)

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 19 stops playing
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:58:45 am »

I am a newbie to JRiver using a trial of MC 19.  The first night I used it, I was able to play complete songs using an HP Windows 7 laptop computer connected to a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC via a cross wire ethernet cable connecting the laptop ethernet port to the port on the optional bridge installed on the DAC.   When I tried to repeat the procedure the next day, any song selected would start to play, then stop after 30 seconds to about 1 minute and 15 seconds.  I do not know what changed from the night before that caused the problem.  I tried to uninstall, and reinstall the program without any luck.  I then found and updated the version to MC 19.0.104, and still no progress.  If I select Player instead of my Perfect Wave DAC on the Playing menu, any songs selected will play fine through the speakers in the laptop without stopping.

I tried this setup on advice from support at PS Audio.  They tell me many others have done the same thing with good results, and many others use JRiver software with equally good results.  It's a strange thing they never heard of before.  I have attached log files and hope you can help me to get things working.
JRiver Id w MC 20.0.118, Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet running Bubble UPnP, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w BridgeII

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC 19 stops playing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:04:36 am »

See if your laptop's Ethernet connection shows any packet errors in Windows.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:12:45 am »

I'm not sure how to do that.  The files I attempted to play were on a thumb drive.

The next test I did was to use my laptop via wifi connection to the home network to play files from my NAS drive.  I had the same result.
JRiver Id w MC 20.0.118, Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet running Bubble UPnP, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w BridgeII

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 01:17:09 am »

Try playing your files through the laptop speakers. Will help isolate where specifically the issue is coming from.

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 12:22:59 pm »

If  I select Player instead of Perfect Wave DAC in the Playing menu, the files play fine through my laptop speakers without stopping, or any other defects in playback.  The playlist will repeat and keep playing.  When I try it through the DAC, it only plays from about 30 seconds to 1 minute and 15 or 20 seconds and it stops playing.  If I play another track, it starts to play for the brief time and then it stops.

After playback through the DAC stops, the displayed time stalls at that point.  If it stops at 54 seconds, the numbers change from 54, 55, 56, 57, then back to 54, 55, etc.  The graphic play bar is stopped, and no sound is played.

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:50:01 am »

Last night I tried MC 19 on my tower computer.  It's a Pentium 4 running Windows XP.  It loaded right up and runs without any problems.  I must have unintentionally changed some setting on the laptop computer that is causing the problem.  I would greatly appreciate any help with getting the laptop computer properly set up to run MC 19.

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 02:49:04 pm »

A day after I first tried MC on my tower computer, it stopped working.  The tower and laptop were both using Avast Internet Security.  I removed Avast from the laptop, and then it worked.  Apparently, there is a conflict with the communication through the ethernet port caused by restrictions within Avast.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:26:28 pm »

Thanks for reporting the solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up