INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Recording - Setting Default Tags  (Read 2740 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
TV Recording - Setting Default Tags
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:01:25 pm »

Following on from this post in glynor's MCAutoQueue thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76147.msg606338#msg606338
I ask the question "How can one automatically tag every TV recording job with a nominated tag?".

I did a search and didn't turn up much but I did look at the recording process critically to see if I'd missed something ... and I had. Refer the attached pic (red box).

So, I've worked out how I can tag a recorded file but what I would really like to do is to set a tagging process by default and have this run every time I record a show without having to click around.

How can I do this right now? Or is it not possible at this stage?

While I'm on the general subject, what would be really great is to include a set of radio buttons that provide a quick pick of the media sub-type. I know there's been a move to improve the functionality of correct automatic selection but I'm still finding this to miss the mark at times. I'd suggest that the default media sub type should be TV Show but provide the user the option to quickly select Movie. Refer the yellow box in the pic to illustrate the concept.

One to consider.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: TV Recording - Setting Default Tags
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:42:24 pm »

I get it.

So it can do it, but there's no way to set defaults for that dialog. So, if you want to do a Tag On Import rule like that, you have to add them manually for every show you schedule or it will essentially "default blank"?  That stinks.

It doesn't use the Auto-Import Watched Folders' Tag On Import rules if you watch the record directory does it?  That would seem to be the simple way to solve the problem, if not.  But that might be complicated because Auto-Import isn't importing them, the "Record" functionality of MC is...  It would certainly be nice to have a way to set a default.  I also quite like the idea of being able to set per-show settings, though... I like to tag my Series with Genres that I pick, so the Tag On Import rule-set for my M:\Recordings directory looks obscene.

So, it would actually be nice to be able to "link" those kinds of settings to individual Recording "Favorites" (to use Sage's term for a scheduled show). But, I'd also really prefer to be able to set a global Tags in some way, which apply to all recordings.

If that's way to confusing (or difficult to implement), then... Perhaps profiles would solve it, so you can save them and quickly load them.  Easier import/export of the Tag On Import rules, and profiles, would be awesome generally, frankly.  I have a bunch I'd like to copypasta to other directories, but it is too painful now to do it manually, so I only do it when it becomes a big issue.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:54:53 pm »

I get it.

So it can do it, but there's no way to set defaults for that dialog. So, if you want to do a Tag On Import rule like that, you have to add them manually for every show you schedule or it will essentially "default blank"?  That stinks.

It doesn't use the Auto-Import Watched Folders' Tag On Import rules if you watch the record directory does it?

I haven't investigated the last point in the quote above. I'm waiting for Yaobing to see this and pipe up with his thoughts. On the positive side, the capability is apparent it's just latent.

My suspicion is that the TV Recording tagging function has been flying under the radar, if my inability to dig up relevant Interact talk is any guide (although my search may have not hit its target). If my suspicion is correct, then I'd guess that the user base has not been tapping into this resource and then pushing for improvement. This could be the thin edge of the wedge, so early days.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:09:19 am »

Yeah, well...

They did what I asked, mostly, so I'm going to jump on the MC TV Recording bandwagon here pretty soon.

My Channel Guide is all messed up for QAM Channels in Sage again (stupid Time Warner and your anti-QAM shenanigans), and I'm NOT fixing it this time (because it took an entire weekend last time).  I'm switching to MC.  I'm not sure yet if I'm going to switch over my HD-PVRs (depends on how touchy it is to set up the channel tuning is, I guess, it is pretty easy in Sage), but since all of my QAM recordings are messed up anyway, I might as well switch those over now.

So... Get ready, Yaobing.  Ima coming.  This time with feelin.  ;D :P

So, it would actually be nice to be able to "link" those kinds of settings to individual Recording "Favorites" (to use Sage's term for a scheduled show). But, I'd also really prefer to be able to set a global Tags in some way, which apply to all recordings.

Yeah... Looking at Options here, it would be nice in Options > Television > Recording if:
* You remove the Start/Stop recording options.
* Replace them with a Edit Recording Defaults (or something like that) that takes you to a version of the dialog from astromo's post above.  The options you set here can be overridden on a per-show basis, but you can set the defaults there.
* Any Tag On Import rules defined here are additive with those defined on a per-show basis (meaning, both apply).  If you do this, I'd do the Global rules first, then any show-specific ones (so we can react to output obtained in the global rules on an individual-show basis, when needed).
* If you want... Since you don't need the Media Sub Type override in the dialog, you could swap-in a place to set the bookmark recordings option and recording format too, which would also let you remove those from the Options panel too.  This isn't really necessary, but it would keep all of the "recording defaults" in one place, and de-clutter the already extensive set of settings in there (and hopefully with a UI widget you can mostly re-use).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:13:19 am »

Yeah, well...

They did what I asked, mostly, so I'm going to jump on the MC TV Recording bandwagon here pretty soon.

So... Get ready, Yaobing.  Ima coming.  This time with feelin.  ;D :P

Great news.

Come on in ... the water's nice.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:35:35 am »

There are a smattering of threads requesting improvement to the process for scheduling tv recordings and there have been some major improvements.  The ability to configure tagging rules has been a great help, but there is always room for improvement.  I second (or third) the idea of having some type of profile.  I have found that I only want to keep 5 shows at most (but the default is never delete), so for every recording, I have to change the setting to 'keep at most' and then change the number of shows to 5.  Not a big deal, but adds steps to every recording I schedule (we record a LOT of tv).  I recently did the conversion to support multiple STBs and lost all of my scheduled recordings, so this something I am dealing with right now.  I will probably have all my recordings set up before anything gets changed on this front, but for the long term, some type of default recording profiles with the ability to modify them on a case by case basis would be great.

Thanks,

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up