INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems ripping  (Read 2133 times)

raphudson

Problems ripping
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:44:44 pm »

I can't rip anything within JRiver.  I was ripping CD previously  prior to  this stoppage with some success.   What that means is that occasionally JRiver just would not recognize a given disk or any disk that I tried to rip into media center, and I would have to shut down the computer and get back into JR.  That seemed to help most of the time.   But now, no matter what I do...nothing seems to work.

Here is what I have tried to do.  If when putting a CD in the drive, if JR does not recognize  it is present automatically [which for some reason it does sometimes], I will click on the various rip options.
Currently I have been getting the error message that there are no files on the CD and I need to have them recognized.   How to do this is beyond me.   It seems to me JR should recognize how many
files are on the CD and all the rest of the pertinent information without my intervention unless the CD to be ripped is not in the database,  which case I have the option of renaming and starting the rip.
But right now no such luck with even that.   I will press the "refresh" button, but with not results.  I have tried to open and close the CD Rom drive door and clicking the various rip options again.
No luck with that.  Going up to the File option in the main menu and clicking on rip usually gives me the error message that there is no CD in the drive or it contains no files.  

Figuring something had been corrupted within JR, I uninstalled the software and re-installed JRiver.   But this did not do a thing to solve the problem.  Now I know that my Optical drive is working just fine,
because I can get into Windows Media Center and effortlessly rip anything JR does not recognize -which right now is everything. I am using a brand new Gateway computer with 8.1.    Please...do any of you out there have any suggestions that might help fix this problem?

Hud

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems ripping
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:18:19 pm »

If it was working and isn't now, what changed?  Did you add any other software or hardware?

raphudson

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:59:47 pm »

Jim...tried to figure this thing out on my own...but with no success.   First...JR had problems ripping from the get go.  But it was not so bad at that time that I could not work around it.
But now the program is almost non funcitonal when it comes to ripping.  Even though in "Rip Setting", JR is set to automatic rip, it never does that.   In fact, if anything is going
to happen, I have to manually click on rip and in most cases I get the error message that there is no disk in the drive.   As I stated before, I don't believe I have a defective
disk drive, because Window's Media Player easily recognizes these same disk and rips them with no problems.

This is a brand new Gateway computer and besidess the software the computer came with, I just added two programs....JRiver and Chrome.   That is it.   So if there
is a conflict with any other program do you or anyone else out there know what they are?   

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:37:35 pm »

I'm experiencing similar symptoms. What MC does seems random. When I insert a disk, it lists tracks already ripped from a previous disk. If I click rip, it starts telling me it's ripping the same tracks over again and ignores the inserted disk. Auto-rip works once in 10 times. About a third of the time MC tells me no tracks are selected even though it seemed to be reading the disk. Tracks deleted from Recently Ripped return. Sometimes restarting MC works. Sometimes restarting Windows seems to. Like the first poster, I've tried many things, and now seem to be in the same position of being unable to rip at all.

Ripping has never entirely worked as expected for me, and I've painfully ripped about 100 albums now. My best guess is that something is haywire in the file structure, but I'm beginning not to care. Tagging gives me enough to do without struggling with mechanics.

I very much want the promised results, and I've generally found the Forum to be extremely helpful and quick to respond, but because of this problem, other less serious ones, and documentation which requires too much effort to get anything out of, I'm about to give up.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:40:36 pm »

I'm experiencing similar symptoms. What MC does seems random. When I insert a disk, it lists tracks already ripped from a previous disk. If I click rip, it starts telling me it's ripping the same tracks over again and ignores the inserted disk. Auto-rip works once in 10 times. About a third of the time MC tells me no tracks are selected even though it seemed to be reading the disk. Tracks deleted from Recently Ripped return. Sometimes restarting MC works. Sometimes restarting Windows seems to. Like the first poster, I've tried many things, and now seem to be in the same position of being unable to rip at all.

Please get a log of it showing the wrong disc and send it to johnt at jriver dot com.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 03:03:25 pm »

Matt,

I reset log, inserted disk, unsuccessfully tried to rip, sent log to John with what I hope is a clear statement of the symptoms.

Thanks for quick response.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:21:00 pm »

Matt,

I reset log, inserted disk, unsuccessfully tried to rip, sent log to John with what I hope is a clear statement of the symptoms.

Thanks for quick response.

The log doesn't contain the disk information.  After a restart, you want Previous Log.txt.  Before a restart you want Log.txt.  Using the "Report a Problem" button is the safest way to get a copy of everything.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up