INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD bit streaming broken since 146  (Read 4400 times)

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
DSD bit streaming broken since 146
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:08:44 pm »

I do 2x DSD in DSP and all the new versions cause loud hiss to be played on my Luxman DA-06 DAC when playing native DSD x1 using bit streaming - PCM plays fine. I haven't changed anything and if I download 146 and install it everything is back to normal. Any ideas? If I uncheck bit streaming and select DOP it plays fine.

Thanks
Tony

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSD bit streaming broken since 146
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:46:58 pm »

Have you tried 19.0.156?  DSD bitstreaming is working for us, so I'm not sure.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:49:27 pm »

I have but will try again tomorrow JTBS.

Thanks

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »

Build 156 has the same hiss problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:03:37 pm »

Build 156 has the same hiss problem.

What hiss problem?

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »

What hiss problem?
The same hiss problem that Tony described while playing bitsteaming DSD if DSP is set to encode do DSD.
This is the same problem I have already told you. The last version that had no problem for me was 19.0.149.
I have emailed you print screens of the Audio Path showing a DSD 2.8MHz input being encoded to 2xDSD and output as DSD 5.6MHz bitstreaming.
This happens when we change from a PCM input to a DSD input witout stopping. Stopping and playing again the DSD file makes it to be played fine with no encoding and with output bitstreaming the input with no change.
Note that the hiss like noise is heard when using ASIO. When using WASAPI there is no noise and no music.
I emailed again the same message with the pictures.

John57

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 09:23:42 am »

I noticed the same problem. When I switch from a track that has PCM converted to 4xDSD and then switch to an another track that is native DSD the bit-streaming mode will not engage correctly and get a continuous burst of noise until I stop the track and restart. This is a kind of thing that can blow out headphones.  

P.S.
 When this happens the small Frequency display at the main top window on the left is all max out. That display should not be showing when playing a native DSD file when bitstreaming and the message message for the audio path  is saying trying to resample to 44k.

John57

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 03:09:57 pm »

This happens with 19.0.152

John57

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »

I tried version 19.0.156 still a mess.

John57

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 03:29:24 pm »

I tried PCM to 2xDSD format in DOP which also works but when I switch tracks to a native 2xDSD file I still get the continuous burst of noise. Bitstreaming using DSD is set. Only when I do a full stop and start will JRiver will play that file correctly and the small frequency display window will disappear on JRiver main audio window as it normally should.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 03:39:06 pm »

I tried PCM to 2xDSD format in DOP which also works but when I switch tracks to a native 2xDSD file I still get the continuous burst of noise. Bitstreaming using DSD is set. Only when I do a full stop and start will JRiver will play that file correctly and the small frequency display window will disappear on JRiver main audio window as it normally should.

I think this may be fixed next build.

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:23:22 am »

Just got my DSD dac yesterday.  My noise issues are not continuous, just a small burst.  

I am set to bit streaming -> DSD for my DSD audio.  Lower Res not being up-sampled to DSD until I get this issue resolved.

For DSD files:  Tried native DSD rate and up to 4x DSD rate and same issue.

My noise issues occur when stopping a DSD song before the end - or choosing another song before the end of current song.  If I then hit start same noise occurs then song plays okay.  

If I hit PAUSE in the middle of the song (my current work around), then choose another song or hit play, no noise - as long as I am not changing from a DSD file

If I let the song completely play, then choose any other song sample/rate, no noise.

I get same noise issue if changing from any sample rate to DSD or DSD to another sample rate.    

If I down convert to 176.4 for all DSD, no noise issues at all.

I have changed pre-buffering, silence at beginning, (lowest to highest) no change in small burst noise.  

I tried ASIO and KS driver with same issue.

I was running 19.0.120 but upgraded to the latest and same issues.

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 07:56:55 am »

Update:   If I am playing a DSD file and skip to another song either on the same album or another DSD song, I do not get any noise. 

It seems the noise is when changing to/from DSD files.   Noise happens at the beginning if changing to a DSD file, and noise happens when leaving a DSD file to another non-DSD bit rate.

But if playing a DSD file and you hit STOP - you get the noise.   

If the last file you played was NOT a DSD file, and you STOP that file, then decide to play a DSD file, the noise occurs right before the DSD file plays. 

BTW, right now all my DSD is 1x

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »

Update Sunday afternoon:   Installed Foobar 2000 (latest version) and had no issues playing DSD songs:  stopping in the middle of a DSD, skipping from a DSD song to 16/44 or any non-dsd format, going from 16/44 or any non-DSD format to a DSD and no noise issues at all.

A bit later on in the day...........it happened in Foobar too.   

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:09:47 pm »

This issue still happens with build 160.

John57

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 11:55:58 pm »

Still no improvement with version 160 :(

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 09:26:30 am »

Still no improvement with version 160 :(

Same here :(

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 10:04:03 am »

Update:

My noise issues have stopped after a OS re-install ( & restore of JR and registry).  Remember with my issues they were just noises when switching bit rates (songs) - DSD -> 192, 176 -> DSD or stopping in the middle of a song.  I do not use DoP.

Last night after changing the buffers in JR for the ASIO driver to 100ms, and optimizing the OS (reduced services, etc) I could play all music formats up-converted to 4xDSD and did not have any noise issues.   I am not using Bitstreaming for now as I listen to 4xDSD for a bit.

I am still on version 19.0.156
Pages: [1]   Go Up