INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Feedback on Video Support in MC for Mac  (Read 36188 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feedback on Video Support in MC for Mac
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:25:05 pm »

In all seriousness.  I've been able to use it.

My first few attempts resulted in crashes.  It didn't give any error message, just disappeared, always after around 3-5 seconds of playback (during which, it was perfect).  The videos opened in Display View (fullscreen-ish, though not true fullscreen on a Mac).  I noticed before it crashed, I was able to see the player scrub bar UI if I moused over it normally.  One thing worth mentioning, I had the Media Server startup option enabled.  I had that turned on from when I answered the question the other night, but didn't intend to keep it on, but it happened to still be enabled when I tried.  When it crashed, the Media Server icon would become non-responsive for 30-45 seconds (maybe a bit longer).  But, it would eventually "unstick" and then I could quit out of it.  I tried launching MC with it in this state (after unsticking) but nothing happened.  After exiting from the Media Server, I was able to re-launch.

I tried both local files imported into a local database, and loading my regular home Library served by Windows.  But...

Now I can play them, or at least, I've had more success.  I was able to play and scrub through a bit, two files just now: an episode of BBC Horizon (720p H264 MKV) and another one of Homeland (same, I think, maybe 1080p), both using a local Library, played off of my SMB network volume (regular media drive on Windows).  Previously, the Homeland one (same file) caused a crash, so it doesn't seem to be file related.  The only thing I changed in between was disabling the Media Server option.

As far as playback experience goes: I noticed, when playback was working correctly (it didn't crash in a few seconds), I could NOT get the scrub-bar UI on mouse hoovering.  It did the grayed-out thing I posted about in another thread.  Also, when playing Homeland in Display View, I got into a state where it was playing fine, but I couldn't stop it.  I couldn't get the UI at the top, so I couldn't stop it.  And I tried double-clicking and ESC and neither would exit Display View.  Using the right-click menu (which seemed very truncated) worked though.

I collected log ZIPs twice, but none of them actually list a crash.  They should (at least one of the two definitely should contain one of these crashes), but there's nothing in there.  I can post them if you want them.

Lastly, just some stuff you probably know or worth mentioning:

* Display View isn't fullscreen.
* The Toolbar in Display View isn't working for me on my Mini, in most cases.
* When it works, playback in Playing Now is quite good.  I noticed an audio sync issue at the very beginning of playback once, but it corrected itself and didn't slip again.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feedback on Video Support in MC for Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:28:27 pm »

Now, without the Media Server startup option enabled, playback from my Windows Library is working fine too.

Amazing.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:39:34 pm »

Now, without the Media Server startup option enabled, playback from my Windows Library is working fine too.

Amazing.

Yep.  It is largely continuing to work now, except the "expected" (fullscreen, etc).  I am also still getting the gray UI bar.  It doesn't always happen immediately, though.

For example, I just checked out an episode of the Borgias and skipped around.  The player bar UI was working at the beginning, but after a little while, all I could get was the gray bar.  Stopped, restarted.  Now I get the gray bar immediately.

Quit, relaunched.  UI bar is back, but when trying to use it, MC crashed.  The log doesn't show crashing, that I saw in quick perusal.

http://glynor.com/files/jriver/JRiver%20Log%202014-10-29%2023-37-20.zip

I haven't seen the "after a few seconds" crash again, though, since disabling the Media Server mode.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:54:39 pm »

There are some rendering issues for video playback with Retina Mode enabled.
The OSD renders at twice the size it should, so it's getting cut off.

Looks like the video is rendered at 1/4 the resolution and scaled up using Nearest Neighbor scaling too.
I don't believe it's an issue with the renderer itself, since the scaling looks fine at 2560x1600. (instead of 1280x800@2x)

It's also been extremely unstable for me and typically crashes within the first 5s of playback.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:22:44 pm »

Just tried it out.  I have my dock parked on the left side of the screen and 'hidden'.  When I start a video it seems to attempt to go full screen but leaves a strip of the desktop visible over where the dock is, video then crashes right after it starts.  When I 'maximize' MC itself it also leaves that strip of desktop by the dock and doesn't really go full screen.

If you want me to start a separate thread or get a log file, I can.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:26:27 am »

Just tried it out.  I have my dock parked on the left side of the screen and 'hidden'.  When I start a video it seems to attempt to go full screen but leaves a strip of the desktop visible over where the dock is, video then crashes right after it starts.  When I 'maximize' MC itself it also leaves that strip of desktop by the dock and doesn't really go full screen.

If you want me to start a separate thread or get a log file, I can.
glynor found that turning Media Server off made a difference.

Slavo_KC

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:27 am »

ASS/SSA subtitles is not suported (and probably never be) ?
How to enable Video library field on left side ?

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 05:40:19 am »

Import a video and it will show up.
I don't know why you would assume that subtitles will not be supported.

Things are definitely early right now though, so it might be a while.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 05:41:40 am »

Subtitles will get the same support as in the windows version, it may just take a while for all things to be supported, and subtitles are not on the highest priority.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Slavo_KC

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 07:00:59 am »

added file location, imported and now video library field is visible. Thanks!
regarding ssa/ass subtitles, I will just hardsub them into video and problem solved.

jhwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 08:55:03 am »

In all seriousness.  I've been able to use it.

My first few attempts resulted in crashes.  It didn't give any error message, just disappeared, always after around 3-5 seconds of playback (during which, it was perfect).  The videos opened in Display View (fullscreen-ish, though not true fullscreen on a Mac).  I noticed before it crashed, I was able to see the player scrub bar UI if I moused over it normally.  One thing worth mentioning, I had the Media Server startup option enabled.  I had that turned on from when I answered the question the other night, but didn't intend to keep it on, but it happened to still be enabled when I tried.  When it crashed, the Media Server icon would become non-responsive for 30-45 seconds (maybe a bit longer).  But, it would eventually "unstick" and then I could quit out of it.  I tried launching MC with it in this state (after unsticking) but nothing happened.  After exiting from the Media Server, I was able to re-launch.

I tried both local files imported into a local database, and loading my regular home Library served by Windows.  But...

Now I can play them, or at least, I've had more success.  I was able to play and scrub through a bit, two files just now: an episode of BBC Horizon (720p H264 MKV) and another one of Homeland (same, I think, maybe 1080p), both using a local Library, played off of my SMB network volume (regular media drive on Windows).  Previously, the Homeland one (same file) caused a crash, so it doesn't seem to be file related.  The only thing I changed in between was disabling the Media Server option.

As far as playback experience goes: I noticed, when playback was working correctly (it didn't crash in a few seconds), I could NOT get the scrub-bar UI on mouse hoovering.  It did the grayed-out thing I posted about in another thread.  Also, when playing Homeland in Display View, I got into a state where it was playing fine, but I couldn't stop it.  I couldn't get the UI at the top, so I couldn't stop it.  And I tried double-clicking and ESC and neither would exit Display View.  Using the right-click menu (which seemed very truncated) worked though.

I collected log ZIPs twice, but none of them actually list a crash.  They should (at least one of the two definitely should contain one of these crashes), but there's nothing in there.  I can post them if you want them.

Lastly, just some stuff you probably know or worth mentioning:

* Display View isn't fullscreen.
* The Toolbar in Display View isn't working for me on my Mini, in most cases.
* When it works, playback in Playing Now is quite good.  I noticed an audio sync issue at the very beginning of playback once, but it corrected itself and didn't slip again.

All the same symptoms for me *except* - disabling / quitting Media Server does *not* resolve the problem for me.  Any video plays approximately 3 seconds, then crashes.  Nothing in the Media Center log showing an error, but here is the relevant extract from the Console:

10/30/14 8:53:42.542 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRCmdRelay is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libdsp_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:42.542 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRNSWindowDelegate is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libdsp_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:42.542 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRWebView is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libdsp_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:42.543 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRNSView is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libdsp_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:42.543 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRNSWindow is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libdsp_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:42.821 AM WindowServer[236]: Received display connect changed for display 0x4272dc2
10/30/14 8:53:42.839 AM WindowServer[236]: Found 30 modes for display 0x04272dc2 [30, 0]
10/30/14 8:53:42.854 AM WindowServer[236]: Received display connect changed for display 0x3f003f
10/30/14 8:53:42.854 AM WindowServer[236]: Found 1 modes for display 0x003f003f [1, 0]
10/30/14 8:53:42.854 AM WindowServer[236]: Received display connect changed for display 0x3f0040
10/30/14 8:53:42.854 AM WindowServer[236]: Found 1 modes for display 0x003f0040 [1, 0]
10/30/14 8:53:42.869 AM WindowServer[236]: CGXMuxAcknowledge: Posting glitchless acknowledge
10/30/14 8:53:42.904 AM WindowServer[236]: MPAccessSurfaceForDisplayDevice: Set up page flip mode on display 0x04272dc2 device: 0x7fe665004260  isBackBuffered: 1 numComp: 3 numDisp: 3
10/30/14 8:53:42.984 AM WindowServer[236]: Received display connect changed for display 0x4272dc2
10/30/14 8:53:42.984 AM WindowServer[236]: Found 1 modes for display 0x04272dc2 [1, 0]
10/30/14 8:53:43.421 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRCmdRelay is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libout_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:43.421 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRNSWindowDelegate is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libout_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:43.421 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRWebView is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libout_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:43.421 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRNSView is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libout_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:43.421 AM Media Center 20[5941]: objc[5941]: Class JRNSWindow is implemented in both /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Media Center 20 and /Applications/Media Center 20.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libout_Main.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
10/30/14 8:53:48.564 AM Media Center 20[5941]: *** Assertion failure in -[NSNextStepFrame lockFocus], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1343.14/AppKit.subproj/NSView.m:7573

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:58 am »

All the same symptoms for me *except* - disabling / quitting Media Server does *not* resolve the problem for me.  Any video plays approximately 3 seconds, then crashes.

I strongly suspect that at least some of the crashes I was seeing are related to problems with Display View.  I've had far fewer issues when playing in Playing Now instead.

Just to see, try changing Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Jump on play (video) to Playing Now.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »

Wow, big step forward for the Mac version. Kudos to all who worked on it.

So far, video import and cataloging has worked great. Still figuring out best options for playing.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:41:46 pm »

MC 20.0.29 changes:

* Seems to have solved my Display View related crashes.
* Still getting the gray bar in some cases (as shown above).  Once it happens, it won't go away no matter what (including for new videos) unless I stop and restart MC.

* I've also had, once (when playing the MPG below that didn't play right) that it "locked" and wouldn't let me exit playing video normally anymore (as described above): Double-click and ESC didn't work.  Switching modes via keyboard presses, and the View Menu also didn't work.  Stopping via the Player menu did, but then the next video I played behaved identically.  Quitting and relaunching fixed it (and got me my Display View UI bar back again).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 08:47:02 pm »

I'm also getting badly "juddering" playback with an AVI file.  Details of file:

Code: [Select]
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
File size                                : 747 MiB
Duration                                 : 58mn 51s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 773 Kbps

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile                           : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP                    : 1
Format settings, QPel                    : No
Format settings, GMC                     : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix                  : Default (H.263)
Codec ID                                 : XVID
Codec ID/Hint                            : XviD
Bit rate                                 : 1 632 Kbps
Width                                    : 672 pixels
Height                                   : 384 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.253
Stream size                              : 687 MiB (92%)
Writing library                          : XviD 1.2.0.dev47 (UTC 2006-11-01)

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Mode                                     : Joint stereo
Codec ID                                 : 55
Codec ID/Hint                            : MP3
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 128 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                         : 144 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 53.9 MiB (7%)
Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration                     : 24 ms (0.60 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration             : 591 ms
Writing library                          : LAME3.97
Encoding settings                        : -m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 17.5 --abr 144

I can email a link to it if needed.  The file seems to be playing frames out of order.  It seems to "jump" backwards as it plays forwards.  I can screencap if needed too, but you'll see it plainly enough.  Not subtle in the least.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 08:48:15 pm »

Other types I tried:

MKV (Video: H.264, 720p; Audio: AC3): Fine
MKV (Video: AVC-high, x264 core, 1920x800; Audio: DTS-MA): Fine
MOV (Video: AVC-baseline, 480x360, iPhone 4S front-camera; Audio: AAC): Jumpy
MOV (Video: AVC-baseline, 1920x1080, iPhone 4S; Audio: AAC): Fine

H.264 MP4, AAC Audio: Fine
MPEG-1 PS: Jumpy
MPEG-2 PS, AC3 Audio: Fine
H.264 TS, AC3 Audio: Fine

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 08:59:59 pm »

Most of the types I've tried that have had trouble have been older, lower-quality sources.  Newer, more common H.264 media seems to be playing great, and my MPEG-2 test (which was 720p) worked fine too.

Looks very nice too.

As long as you don't have a lot of the older sources, or other oddballs, once it can go truly fullscreen, it will be completely usable.  If you don't mind playing in a window, it is completely usable now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:17 pm »

I split some discussion of a visual glitch here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92985.0

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 12:06:30 am »

Additional Format Testing:

* WMV (Video: VC-1; Audio: WMA-2): Fine
* MPEG-PS (Video: MPEG-2, 352x480, 4:3DAR, interlaced; Audio: MPEG-1): Jumpy
* AVI (Video: WMV1, 320x240; Audio: WMA-2): Jumpy
* AVI (Video: MPEG-4 XviD 1.1.0, 720x540; Audio: MP3): Fine.
* AVI (Video: MPEG-4 XviD 1.0.3, 512x270; Audio: MP3): Jumpy
* AVI (Video: MPEG-4 ASP@L1, 720x480; Audio: MP3): Fine.
* AVI (Video: MPEG-4 DivX 5.0.3, 480x352; Audio: MP3): Jumpy
* MPEG-PS (Video: MPEG-1, 704x480; Audio: MPEG-1): Fine.
* MPEG-PS (Video: MPEG-1, 352x240; Audio: MPEG-1): Jumpy
* MP4 (Video: AVC-baseline, 720x384; Audio: AAC): Jumpy
* MP4 (Video: AVC-main, 640x480; Audio: AAC): Fine

I'm having trouble finding a rhyme or reason.  I've looked for:
* Interlaced/Progressive: Nope, happens with both.
* Framerate Mode Variable: Happens with some, not others.
* Codec (obviously): All over the place
* Resolution: A correlation, but not a perfect one.

The closest I've gotten to a pattern is that it definitely seems to disproportionately impact my older, lower-resolution files.  I don't know if I've found a file in the 720x540 or greater range that is impacted, and definitely no 720-1080p content.  When I get to older content down below 640x480 it starts to impact almost all of them.  The iPhone example listed above was particularly interesting.  Those two iPhone videos were both shot with the same iPhone 4S, at the same time, one using the back camera and the other using the front-facing one.

Also, during this testing, I've had:

* A few instances of not being able to exit Display View without stopping playback.  This seems to always coincide with having a gray control bar.
* One instance where the video got "stuck" in a "detached" display (I wasn't trying to do that, it went haywire) that was shifted part way off screen.  Very odd.
* One notification from OSX that it detected a graphics problem (which means the GPU hung and was restarted).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 02:03:54 am »

Here's the GPU Reset Log from the above-referenced Graphics hang in OSX:
http://glynor.com/files/jriver/Kernel_2014-10-31-004825_tilo.gpuRestart

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 02:40:17 am »

Can you test one of those jumpy files in the Windows version, but set the Playback Method in the options to the "JRiver OpenGL video engine (experimental)" first for that file type?
That would help to narrow it a bit.

Also, a sample might be useful, otherwise I'll have to go dig for one.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 08:34:43 am »

Can you test one of those jumpy files in the Windows version, but set the Playback Method in the options to the "JRiver OpenGL video engine (experimental)" first for that file type?

Yep.

Also, a sample might be useful, otherwise I'll have to go dig for one.

I'll post a few this weekend.  Probably not tonight though as I'll have about 500 kids coming to my house.

yetirider

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 02:18:25 pm »

I noticed the thumbnails didn't build, but did if i clicked on the file. I just had a black box before i clicked on it.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 02:51:44 pm »

Video display shows Mac OS dock at bottom and menu bar at the top.   No theater/full screen display.  Theater view, video category/files in JRemote don't  work.

Video files import properly with thumbnails displayed.

Running Mavericks on Mac Mini.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 06:59:08 am »

Proper fullscreen playback with the menu and dock hidden is coming for the next version. Its mostly done, with one small glitch remaining.
I'm also trying to determine whats going on with the player control going gray and unresponsive, I can reproduce it myself quite easily, so I hopefully can fix it as well soon.

After those issues are sorted out, I'll continue working on audio stream selection, and other basic video playback features still missing from Mac and Linux.

glynor, any info for the broken files?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 07:04:18 am »

I noticed the thumbnails didn't build, but did if i clicked on the file. I just had a black box before i clicked on it.

Black box is quite possibly the image it extracted from the file itself. The default position for the thumbnail grabbing is 5 seconds into the file, which is black for quite a few files of my own, so I set it usually to 10 or 20 for better results.
Afterwards, it may have gotten artwork from the internet, TheTVDB for tv shows, etc, which was refreshed once the view updated.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 07:47:46 am »

I am not getting the gray ui bar at the top, either under Mavericks on Mac Mini or Mac Pro under Mavericks and Yosemite.   

Only one small glitch as Glynor reported: the first fews seconds of audio and video are out of sync but then quickly normalize.   I have only played .mkv and .mpg files, some interlaced, and no problems other than the initial a/v out-of-sync.

I hope you are planning on TV as well.    I have been using Elgato EyeTV for years so I know this works very well on a Mac.   It would be nice if you  could incorporate the video media editor the way Elgato has.   But just being able to record and view live TV would be enough.

jfaaz

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »

Whenever I play a video, whether mp4, avi or mkv the picture is jittery and unwatchable.  Sound is fine.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 05:07:05 pm »

I am not having those problems but I know Glynor and some others are.   The video module is pretty much beta software at this point and I believe the JRiver guys acknowledged the first version was going to be a little unpolished.  I am just grateful that they are working on video and hope they can get video and TV recording done so I can leave Windows and all of the headaches involved with getting it to network with Mac OS behind.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »

I haven't re-tested in about a week.  I've been busy.

I merged the other little thread into this one, where it belongs.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 07:02:03 pm »

Proper fullscreen playback with the menu and dock hidden is coming for the next version. Its mostly done, with one small glitch remaining.
I'm also trying to determine whats going on with the player control going gray and unresponsive, I can reproduce it myself quite easily, so I hopefully can fix it as well soon.

After those issues are sorted out, I'll continue working on audio stream selection, and other basic video playback features still missing from Mac and Linux.

Does this include hiding the cursor as well?  I'm currently using JRemote to play videos on my Mac Mini, and I can't get the cursor to hide during video playback.  Additionally could there be added support for the display not go to sleep during playback?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 08:06:52 am »

I've been quite busy, unfortunately, which is why I haven't been around much lately.

I'll try to re-test here soon.  When I recover from the plague I've been fighting lately.

John Smith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 02:09:40 pm »

Some brief feedback from my side.  Today I installed the latest 20.0.46 for Mac...  Still can't switch soundtracks and use subtitles...   :'(

Too bad for this amazing player...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:25 am »

Switching audio tracks should be available very soon. Subtitles is still a bit further away.
I've also worked on the problem with the audio being out of sync for a couple seconds at start of playback, and that should be behaving much better now as well.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

John Smith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 10:42:54 am »

Switching audio tracks should be available very soon. Subtitles is still a bit further away.
I've also worked on the problem with the audio being out of sync for a couple seconds at start of playback, and that should be behaving much better now as well.
Hendrik,
let's implement mandatory options first. Soundtracks switching and subtitles are definitely such options. After that will be time to implement convenient (visual) subtitles synchronization. )))

Will wait for it.  :)

John Smith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:23 am »

Recently I purchased Master License (for multiply OS) and install MC for Mac 20.0.60 on my MacBook Pro Retina.  What's the miracle - now I can see several streams and can switch them. Thanks Hendrik!

However, I can't to see any subtitles...   Is it OK for this version or there is some sophisticated way to show subtitles?

By the way, I wasted 2 restores due to some MC SW glitches...  Will enforced to uninstall  my previous trial version manually and install 20.0.60 version.  Hope JRiver team can compensate these 2 wasted restores in case of necessity.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 08:46:40 am »

Subtitles are not yet supported.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

John Smith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 08:52:39 am »

Subtitles are not yet supported.

Understood.  Will wait for 20.0.61 version. ))))

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 09:45:49 am »

I'm getting an audio delay when I press play after pausing playback - is this a known issue?   

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 11:23:54 am »

Can't play any video with MC 20.0.60 on my MacMini Server Late 2009, OSX 10.7.5.

After starting the playback there only is the messagebox "Playback Problem, Something went wrong with playback". A very informative message, if you ask me.

Klicking the help button of the message box leads me to the even less informative JRiver "Playback Problems" web page, instead of saying, what my problem is.

Is my MacMini or OS too old to play back video - or what's wrong?

Thanks
Fred

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2015, 04:44:20 pm »

I cannot get MC20 (now v. 64) to import any mkv or m4v files from a mounted network share drive (from my NAS). Is this expected/known or am I doing something wrong?

math89

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 05:23:03 am »

I'm currently testing JRiver and JRemote on my mac mini (2012-i5-16Go-500Go-intel Graphics.)

- Audio results are what I expected : excellent

- I began the Video tests on yesterday... Ooops....
  Jumpy videos, crashes, even with single avi. or mpegs. files....
I have not any poblem with the VLC media player. So it seems not to come from the computer.

Question : is there an 'optimal' setting for JRiver which would give better results ?

Mathieu

Music first !
- Mac mini core i5 16gb - SSD256 - HD500
- iFi idsd + iUSBpower
- Electrocompaniet AW180
- Acoustat Spectra 44
- Sub : Muse 18

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 06:52:58 am »

Please try the version from the top of this board.

math89

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 04:56:15 pm »

Better, but not yet usable... The image is dancing, some horizontal bars in the screen time to time...
I will use JRiver for audio only, and wait for the release of a robust version.
Mathieu
Music first !
- Mac mini core i5 16gb - SSD256 - HD500
- iFi idsd + iUSBpower
- Electrocompaniet AW180
- Acoustat Spectra 44
- Sub : Muse 18

egoista

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 08:56:21 pm »

JRiver MC 20.0.80
OS X 10.10.2
Macbook Mid 2012

Full-screen controls still are broken:

Also, here's no way to switch from full-screen mode to display (full window) playback: it switches back only to normal "small cover" mode.

Cursor doesn't disappear in full-screen mode.

I'm using JRiver MC for both music and video so really would like to see better support for video.

John Smith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 10:49:53 am »

JRiver MC 20.0.80
OS X 10.10.2
Macbook Mid 2012

Full-screen controls still are broken:

Also, here's no way to switch from full-screen mode to display (full window) playback: it switches back only to normal "small cover" mode.

Cursor doesn't disappear in full-screen mode.

I'm using JRiver MC for both music and video so really would like to see better support for video.

Just issues with full screen controls?  You are lucky person...

Yesterday I installed the 20.0.80 release and can't see any picture.  Just some gray screen.

============
OS X 10.9.5 - latest Maverick, MacBook Pro Retina.

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 03:26:10 pm »

So before I go through the process of creating logs and testing a number of files, should I just assume that video is not going to work at all on an older MacBook 1,1? (1.8GHz Core Duo, GMA950)

I had to pull that out to get some specific software working since it's running 10.6.8 (the last version it will run) and thought I'd set up MC on it just in case I ever had a need to use it for that.
It seems to work fine for audio, but I receive a general "something went wrong with playback" error when trying to play videos.

The videos I've tried work just fine in QuickTime X, but MC gives me that error.
MC does seem to generate thumbnails for the videos though.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2015, 07:38:12 am »

We require OpenGL 3.2 support, which these old mac books do not support, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2015, 08:33:47 am »

We require OpenGL 3.2 support, which these old mac books do not support, sorry.
Fair enough - I assumed it was probably due to the system being too old.
Is there any way to have the OS X version of MC open those videos with an external application? (QuickTime/VLC)
Even if I can't view them in MC, it would be convenient to have MC manage a local library, or access videos on my other systems through MC's interface.

John Smith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 03:39:04 am »

Just issues with full screen controls?  You are lucky person...

Yesterday I installed the 20.0.80 release and can't see any picture.  Just some gray screen.

============
OS X 10.9.5 - latest Maverick, MacBook Pro Retina.

I implemented some latest recommended OS updates, as far as they come and, what a miracle!, I can see a picture now.  By the way, my VLC and DVD Fab can show movies correctly before that as well...

After tthat I installed the latest JRiver 20.0.87 and still can't find any subtitles support.  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up