INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hangs investigation  (Read 2499 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Hangs investigation
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:13:37 pm »

We're having a few reports of hangs.

Can anyone having a hang use MC's logging (Help > Logging) to get a log and post it here?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Hangs investigation
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:44:18 pm »

Please post the following.  We're looking for a pattern.

20.0.33 is at the top of this board.  Test it first.
-------------

Full version of MC in use

Version of Windows

Filetypes played

NAS or Local Drive

Tested with antivirus uninstalled?

Tested with memory playback off?

Tested with auto import off?

Theater View or Standard View?

robydago

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 01:19:45 pm »

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 02:29:53 pm »

Don't forget that - over the last year or two - roughly ten people have verified that they fixed hangs by changing the browsing engine from Chromium to Internet Explorer.

(The best theory is that it hangs trying to download some Chromium file.)

Personally, I would prefer that the browsing engine not be used at all, if the user is not doing anything on the web with MediaCenter.... but it seems to display some Standard View screens using the browsing engine.  I'm not sure why this is needed if the user is just playing local audio files.

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 02:34:37 pm »

Don't forget that - over the last year or two - roughly ten people have verified that they fixed hangs by changing the browsing engine from Chromium to Internet Explorer.

(The best theory is that it hangs trying to download some Chromium file.)

Personally, I would prefer that the browsing engine not be used at all, if the user is not doing anything on the web with MediaCenter.... but it seems to display some Standard View screens using the browsing engine.  I'm not sure why this is needed if the user is just playing local audio files.

Good point- and I had wondered about the Google Chrome issues. AFAIK IE is on it's way out (maybe not in the USA), so the brilliant minds that weave and tend MC can surely weed out a Chrome associated glitch.
And is there a way the browsing engine can be switched off?
Lenovo Tiny>Audioquest Jitterbug>Cary Audio DAC100t>Modwright LS100 pre>Hypex Ncore monoblocks>Eminent Technology LFT8B's and Vandersteen 2Wq subs. Cardas/Audiomica cables

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 04:10:30 pm »

We're having a few reports of hangs.

Can anyone having a hang use MC's logging (Help > Logging) to get a log and post it here?

Thanks.
I find that it does that windows thing of going unresponsive rather frequently these days, possibly since going beyond 20.0.21 but certainly since going from 19 to 20. Is this the sort of hang you mean or do you mean a hard hang (as in, must be killed)?

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:02:13 pm »

Hangtime
Wouldn't go from 1 song to the next.
Lenovo Tiny>Audioquest Jitterbug>Cary Audio DAC100t>Modwright LS100 pre>Hypex Ncore monoblocks>Eminent Technology LFT8B's and Vandersteen 2Wq subs. Cardas/Audiomica cables

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »

Hangtime 2.
WDTV disappears from Playing Now- directly after previous hang (above0.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 05:41:41 am »

Hang/Crash

Starting from Standard View, toggling to Theater View and use the scrolling wheel on my mouse to navigate secondary rollers.

The log shows a crash, not a hang .. but it often just hangs

edit -- sorry Matt forgot the details

Full version of MC in use 20.0.33

Version of Windows Win7 64bit

Filetypes played - flac and mkv

NAS or Local Drive - internal HD only for this log

Tested with antivirus uninstalled? no; deactivated, yes

Tested with memory playback off? yes

Tested with auto import off? yes

Theater View or Standard View? theater view; no hangs in standard (although it does hang going from starting a video in  standard view =>Display mode => then Theater view

note : changed browser engine from IE to Chromium and can no longer provoke the hang in theater view)

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 11:08:29 am »

hang again last nite,

i foolishly reset the HTPC as the media server, playing movie via Gizmo and watching TV and the JRiver hung.  as per usual the gizmo stopped but TV kept going until i clicked a mouse or hit a button then it went gray and had to reboot JRiver.  as i had to reboot JRiver i see no difference as a customer between this and a crash.  and again user for years never had a problem until MC 20.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 11:16:49 am »

hang again last nite,

i foolishly reset the HTPC as the media server, playing movie via Gizmo and watching TV and the JRiver hung.  as per usual the gizmo stopped but TV kept going until i clicked a mouse or hit a button then it went gray and had to reboot JRiver.  as i had to reboot JRiver i see no difference as a customer between this and a crash.  and again user for years never had a problem until MC 20.
a log would help in this thread if you want to be part of the solution

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 06:46:27 am »

I have not done this before so I hope this will give you access to this log it is over the size that can be uploaded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp51a8ecx3t42t5/JRiver%20Log%202014-11-12%2006-28-19.zip?dl=0
Pages: [1]   Go Up