INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id -- Status Report  (Read 4598 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRiver Id -- Status Report
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:38 pm »

Without pushing a lot, we've sold about 100 units.  Returns are running around 3%.

Bob has done an amazing job of making it work.  It was a dream a year ago.  Now it does what we said it would.

It's a DLNA Renderer that works with other DLNA compliant hardware, but it is a lot more.  It can stand alone as a media player.  It can serve files to another DLNA Renderer.  And so on.

We make them now from a USB stick.  In about 10 minutes, we can load Debian Linux, MC, and the Id software onto an Intel NUC, and configure it.

The Id can update itself.  We've added video recently.

We're about to step up production.  Engen, our hardware division in Phoenix, is now online.

My goal is 1000 units next year.

Hilton

Re: JRiver Id -- Status Report
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »

Nice one. Ambitious goal I like it!

Will it be possible for a user to put a larger drive in the Id now and use the USB to reinstall?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:48:10 pm »

The drive should be possible soon (USB).

Using USB to install may be possible now.

PeterGregg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:42:04 am »

You suggested this to me in one of the threads where I asked a question. It is quite interesting, but one of your biggest problems in this product and even MediaCenter is you, and your fans have gotten so developed and advanced that you have left behind the new arrivals and created your own world and lingo. More often than not I have little idea what you are talking about. Personally I think it is a pretty strong negative point for people who arrive here for this "Id" product and for MediaCenter itself. Not complaining, but even the name "Id" does little to make me want it, and I was already interested before I came in this section of the forum.

I sell products online too, and thru this experience I will make it a point to look and see if I have created that same atmosphere in my corner of the world too. It's nice to have the "compadres" flock around you, but new people are left out of the concepts and the lingos. I think one of the places to start is to not use short cuts, letters for words, and short identifiers, especially coming from the powers that be. It implies an inside language, and while it is comfortable and buddy-like, it just plain leaves people out in the cold. Don't take this as an attack, I am enthralled with MediaCenter, but it has been such a huge uphill climb to really try to get a handle on it. On the flip side, every time I look for something I may want to do in Media Center, it is usually already there and waiting for me. This same thing I am speaking of also is prevalent in the "password" software industry. I have recently wanted to "button up" my security for my bank accounts and so on, and they have a lingo and a flow over there as though people have been around Homeland Security for 20 years. You can easily see most newbies are like a fish out of water. Either a person has to grin and dig in, or just eventually just leave and move on. Plus, dealing with their "forum people" is like dealing with the "grumpy old man" that grunts out the answers and says as few words as possible in reply to an inquiry. I find this amusing, besides it being frustrating. Just thought I would say something in case it wasn't realized what a wall a person runs into when they come here to the products and the forums.

Even though I would be glad to buy, and like you said - a hundred people already did - I feel more "safe" to just buy a low end computer with a couple of hard drives or network drives and let it run and pay the electric, than to dig into the "ID" and not have a clue how to navigate past any of the problems that are sure to pop up and not be able to communicate in here for help.

"DLNA, Debian Linux, Intel NUC, we make "them" now from a USB stick." Seriously, not a clue lol :)

Regards,
Peter

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 08:52:16 am »

DLNA, Debian Linux, Intel NUC, we make "them" now from a USB stick.
I know that terminology is a barrier.  An Internet search will usually provide an answer.

DLNA is a protocol for sharing media among devices.  It is similar to UPnP.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

Debian Linux is a "flavor" of Linux.  Linux is an OS.  Wikipedia would tell you more.

Intel NUC is a very small computer, made by Intel.  We use it as the base for the Id.

Id originally stood for "Imaginary Device".

You don't need to know anything about Linux or the NUC to use an Id.  Everything is installed and ready to run.  There is almost no setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up