INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Crashing on OS X [Solved]  (Read 3684 times)

alerutte

• Recent member
MC Crashing on OS X [Solved]
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:11:14 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Am a relatively new user of MC and have been loving it, started just using it for my hires stuff then my ripped CDs. On the weekend I introduced my recently cleaned out iTunes library as well. It looks great but the only problem is after about 5 minutes MC crashes. Is there anything I should be looking for? Is it likely to be a funny file that MC doesn't like in my library? I can only assume its related to that as it had worked flawlessly prior to adding my iTunes music.

Cheers!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Crashing on OS X
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:18:48 pm »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:16:57 pm »

Turn off Auto-Import and see if that stops the crashes.

If so, there is almost certainly a corrupt file in your iTunes collection that it is trying to import and getting busted on. If you collect a Log zip file right after a crash, and post it, I might be able to dig through and find it (though this doesn't always work, depending on when and how the crash happens).

If that doesn't work, you can try importing little bits of the collection at a time (skipping over stuff it already imported, because it almost certainly isn't one of those), to track it down. You'll almost certainly find an obviously broken file that doesn't play in anything (often zero-bytes big, or with other corrupt properties).

If you find one that does play in other players that causes is, if you can make it available (via a Dropbox public link or something similar) then someone from JRiver will look at it and see if their parser is messed up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

alerutte

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:19:03 pm »

Hi glynor and jimH,

Thanks so much for your replies. OK, turned off auto import, put some music on and still crashed very quickly. Turned on report generation but that didn't seem to work as the whole program crashes. Where should I be looking now? I'm using version 20.0.124 which i believe to be the latest version. The crash report that OS X produces I have but I can't seem to paste to this forum as it says the file is too long. What is the best way to post such a file, and is it useful?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:58:53 pm »

Hmmm... If it is crashing with Auto-Import off, then it might not be a bad file.

Try re-installing the latest build from a fresh download.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:07:31 am »

alerutte

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:30:51 pm »

Think I worked it out - could be some permissions issues stemming from what I have read was a problem in OS X Mavericks whereby it would do strange things to file permissions on NAS devices. Have unchecked a few of the options in the import settings:
- Analyse audio for audio files
- Ignore files previously removed from library
- Update for external changes

Have no idea what these settings changes will really do in reality - but presumably if I add or remove music from my folders the auto import will still pick this up?

JimH

• Administrator
Re: MC Crashing on OS X [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 05:38:01 am »

Thanks for reporting that.  Where did you read about a permissions problem?  Here or on another forum?

Related to a torrent problem?
Pages: [1]   Go Up