INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions on Installing MC21  (Read 42921 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Questions on Installing MC21
« on: August 26, 2015, 02:19:46 pm »

Please read these instructions first:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99969.msg692675#msg692675

If you still have questions, please post them here.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Questions on Installing MC21
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 03:20:49 pm »

MC20 is still starting up with a computer restart.  MC21 also starts, so i have both running and have to close MC20

in MC20 i've set startup options to nothing, but obviously i'm missing a setting or something.  this didn't happen with any of the last upgrade paths (that i recall).

any hints are appreciated.  i will be uninstalling 20 as soon as 21 is a few builds in anyways, so this is more for my own information on why i'm messing it up

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 03:48:00 pm »

Sounds like a computer glitch. If you shut down MC (all versions) and go to Task Manager, see if there is anything still running (shouldn't be).

The correct way, as you have done, is to go to Tools>Options>Startup and set "Run on Windows Startup" to Nothing.

Long shot -- but do you have any Client machines connecting to the MC20 Server Library?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:41:28 pm »

thanks!

i do have a client machine, but i haven't re-installed MC since i switched to windows 10 on the client so technically MC has not been running at all during this time.  i'll uninstall MC from the client completely just for posterity but i can't see it being involved in this case...but who knows!

i've checked processes, if i exit everything there is nothing awry.  there is also nothing i can find in windows (services, startup menu, etc.) that point to MC20 starting

it's not a huge deal but it's weird and i think i'll learn something if i get to the bottom of it

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:02:56 pm »

Check the registry here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

That's the key that gets the startup programs added.  There should only be MC21 now (of course).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:07:23 pm »

cheers Matt, problem solved.  the MC20 key was still there for whatever reason.  restarted and only MC21 booted up

thx!

maid

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:33:38 pm »

Will we be notified when there is a stable version like version 20 ?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

bjhat1

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 06:48:56 pm »

I just installed Windows 10 on a new PC. I purchased a master license July 22nd.  I just downloaded windows version of 21 and it will not let me restore my license.  How can I get a registration key? I have tried restore from within and then requested an email with no response as yet.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 08:50:26 am »

The email response typically comes within a few minutes. Check to make sure:

* The email isn't in your spam folder in your email. Add buy-button (at) jriver dot com to your "safe senders" list if necessary.
* You are using the same email address you used to purchase the license originally.

Also, take a look at this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 02:09:33 pm »

Will we be notified when there is a stable version like version 20 ?
its stable now  as far as I'm concerned

Anthony Denver Jazz

• Recent member
Playlists will not transfer
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 02:33:59 pm »

I upgraded from MC18 to MC21 and my Playlists won't transfer.  I backed up my Library in MC18 as suggested and restore in MC21 and still Playlists did not transfer.

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 05:48:04 am »

I upgraded from MC18 to MC21 and my Playlists won't transfer.  I backed up my Library in MC18 as suggested and restore in MC21 and still Playlists did not transfer.

BIG changes between 18 and 19. (eg. one thing you will have to do is re-analyze all your files for volume leveling). Two things I would try

1) (this I've found always works for me, even if it sounds like overkill) do not uninstall prior versions until last version is verified.
- keep 18 on machine, install 19 (make sure your playlists are there); then upgrade to version 20; then upgrade to version 21. Make sure you are not loading media server from a prior version! (in options uncheck all load on stratup options temporarily, otherwise make sure your shortcuts are not launching old versions)

OR

2) Launch version 18 -- export all your playlists manually. Install version 21, import all your playlists.

There are other things users have noted if you jump from old versions to the most recent ...  you could lose your coverart (if you are not keeping it in the album folder), anything that is configured to be stored on the system drive and not on your media drives could also be lost in the transfer) -- there are ways to get this back though provided that you do NOT uninstall prior versions

I think the easiest is just upgrade one version at a time, check to see that everything is ok for the time that takes, then when satisfied uninstall prior versions. But that's just what I prefer doing (if you only have a few playlists though might want to try the second option.

Anthony Denver Jazz

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 01:45:43 pm »

Thanks Arindelle.

Restoring the earlier versions, even though I had not upgraded  to 19 & 20 before version 21, successfully transferred my Playlist over to 21.

Thanks Again,
Anthony

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 01:52:06 pm »

np Anthony

Glad it helped and thanks for getting back :)

mribob

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 06:36:39 pm »

I purchased an upgrade license for MC21, from my MC20. I downloaded a free 30 day trial version, then added my registration key. However, every time I launch MC21, I get a message that my free trial expires in x days, so I re load my install key, now I am down to 7 of 12 reinstalls...what do I need to do to have my license take, and not have the free trial MC21 running? I still have versions of MC20 installed on my computer...should I delete that version now as well?
Thanks. Sorry to be such a computer illiterate dweep.
Bob P :P :P

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 06:42:27 pm »

We can reset your restores if necessary.

Make sure you install MC21 and run it.  Then do a restore. 

If necessary, you can uninstall MC20.

mribob

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 07:10:59 pm »

I think I now have successfully installed MC21, but when I try to access my library, I had been able to select a specific track from an album, and build a play list...and hit 'playing now' in active window.
Now when I access my Library, I am only able to access the entire album as a file, and I can't figure out how to open the album and only select my desired tracks to get them to the playing now action window. Please help me figure out what changed, and how to regain this important functionality.
Thanks much,
Bob P ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 07:27:56 am »

If you use the tree on the left, open Audio, then Albums, then click on the album you want, then on Files.  You will see the tracks below.

You can customize the view to always show the files.

blgentry

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 06:46:34 pm »

Isn't XP a non-supported OS for MC21?

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 07:01:40 pm »

No.  It's just that we can't promise full support for video on XP in MC21.  It might work.

epro

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 09:38:53 pm »

Hi. I have purchase the MC21 upgrade before it has been released. Now every time when I install it I get UNREGISTERED and have to register it again and my count goes down all the time.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 07:40:25 am »

Don't worry about the restores.  We can fix that.

Try the restore option from within MC21.  It's probably getting registered with an older version of MC. 

Mac or Windows?

mribob

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 12:09:24 pm »

THANKS for the tip of using Audio, file, album, then select tracks...that works...
However, I used to search my library by going to Audio...then Files, then Drive D, then click on album, and it would also show the individual tracks...it doesn't perform that now. I also get a message that MC21 is installed on a different operating system, and it asks me to re install...I will attempt that today as well, and see if that helps, but I really would like to be able to access my tracks under File...all locations...drive D, then access library. Please help.
Thanks.

mribob

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 12:18:31 pm »

Tried to re install a new version of MC21, which I did, but it did not ask me for an install key, and I saw the same desktop icon as before, with  no change in functionality to search tracks from the file drop down...sorry to be a pest, but I was comfortable in accessing my library from that prior structure and organization.
Thanks for trying to help me. I am running Windows 10 on a laptop. No virus.
bob

epro

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 12:35:02 pm »

Windows. I am doing restore from inside the Media Center. It restores the registration with no problem but after that I am receiving the confirmation email saying your number of restores left is -1. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 02:04:30 pm »

Is it licensed now?  Check under Help.

lakeallen

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 11:37:54 am »

Hi. I installed MC 21 (from MC 19) and now I have fairly constant (about every 2-3 seconds) clicks/pops when playing music. No hardware or cables changed and I didn't have the problem with MC 19. I've tried all different output modes and settings, buffers, etc. with no improvement. Any suggestions?

BradATIMA

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 12:22:21 pm »

Hi. I installed MC 21 (from MC 19) and now I have fairly constant (about every 2-3 seconds) clicks/pops when playing music. No hardware or cables changed and I didn't have the problem with MC 19. I've tried all different output modes and settings, buffers, etc. with no improvement. Any suggestions?

If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at this topic:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

You could use find to search for instances "pop" or "click" in that topic and see if there are any instances that match your situation. Unfortunately, there are many different things that can cause this problem, but hopefully there will be a solution somewhere in that topic.

jsteingarten

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 07:14:48 pm »

I've upgraded from v.19, received a new code, the code worked, and program opens, and then....  A minute or less later, a box appears saying that there's a problem with the program and that Windows will close the program and try to figure out the problem.  Which it never does.   This happened several times over three days; I requested, received, and used new codes.  It is Windows itself that closes my MC21.  This obviously doesn't afflict every user; if it did, your computers would be swamped.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 01:32:14 am »

Did you try the latest build?  It's in a thread near the top of this board.

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 05:07:58 pm »

I've installed MC21 after some restarts it is now working - playing to a DLNA was either waiting or stopped. Now when I run MC21 I have to input the admin password. While this works fine it's annoying. How can I get MC21 to run without requiring admin rights?

xp9433

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 03:51:32 am »

When I have MC21 upsample 16/44.1 material to 705.6kHz, is it upsampling to 16/705.6, 24/705.6, or 32/705.6?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 05:54:21 am »

When I have MC21 upsample 16/44.1 material to 705.6kHz, is it upsampling to 16/705.6, 24/705.6, or 32/705.6?

The entire chain is 64-bit.  And you can view the final output bitdepth in the Audio Path.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2015, 06:48:49 am »

Hi,
I was running MC21 with no issues until one of the latest updates, since which at start up, I'm prompted with the Windows confirmation question, if I allow that the program (from unknown publisher) is making modifications to the pc. I had Windows 8.1 and since yesterday 10, with the same problem. Otherwise everything works fine.
Please advice.
Kind regards,
Vlad

Arindelle

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2015, 07:39:23 am »

Hi,
I was running MC21 with no issues until one of the latest updates, since which at start up, I'm prompted with the Windows confirmation question, if I allow that the program (from unknown publisher) is making modifications to the pc. I had Windows 8.1 and since yesterday 10, with the same problem. Otherwise everything works fine.
Please advice.
Kind regards,
Vlad
just confirm the prompt ... they probably just forgot to re-sign the cert. As you know/trust the software you are loading, don't worry about it. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 07:58:14 am »

Did you try reinstalling MC?  When you update to Win10, it's often necessary.  There is a Win10 thread here.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 01:20:26 pm »

Did you try reinstalling MC?  When you update to Win10, it's often necessary.  There is a Win10 thread here.
Yes, I've reinstalled MC after win10 in order to make it work, but the same prompt appears. If I run the incompatibility mode the fix is found and saved, then at the next start it happens again.

thatten

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 08:39:18 pm »

I have been using MC19  on a desktop running XP. I just purchased the upgrade to MC21 for a laptop running Windows 10. I received the Buy-Button email. I can view Downloads in Explorer but when I try to Save or Open either from email or Explorer I get a flash across screen then nothing happens - no new window open...nothing but blank page. Help??

Arindelle

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 04:37:48 am »

I have been using MC19  on a desktop running XP. I just purchased the upgrade to MC21 for a laptop running Windows 10. I received the Buy-Button email. I can view Downloads in Explorer but when I try to Save or Open either from email or Explorer I get a flash across screen then nothing happens - no new window open...nothing but blank page. Help??
I'm assuming you have installed JRiver first on the laptop right? Remember upgrade means upgrading from a prior install. Not sure but it sounds like you are clicking on the licensing file - open JRiver first on your laptop and then click on the file you downloaded(don't throw the file away as you can use it to upgrade the XP PC (not sure if JRiver still supports XP, but the license is for multiple computers). The file will work for a week or so, otherwise you will need a new one.

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 12:38:10 pm »

Hi

Just upgraded my server to Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1 - I think...).
After that JRiver MC20 will not start (tells that it was installed for a different operation system and that I should restart).

I thought, OK - then I will just as well upgrade to MC21 - they probably need my money to continue developing this nice product.
Installed MC21, no problems.

But... how can I restore the library from MC20 into MC21?
I do have some backup files, but they are quite old. And as MC20 won't start I'm unable to make a new backup file.

Can you suggest what I should do to get my MC20 library into MC21, without having to set it all up again?

Ehh, forget it... It shows that I installed MC21 on the client computer first (using remote access to the server, and as Windows 10 sync the desktops - it's almost impossible to know if you're on the client or the server. So I thought I installed MC21 on the server while I in fact installed it on the client...

When installing MC21 on the server as I was supposed to do all the time, it upgraded (or copied/imported) my old MC20 library automatically. Will look into details now, but it seems to have worked very smooth.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 01:04:14 pm »

Just reinstall the latest MC20 build on the machine and do a library backup.  Then you can uninstall it.

Edit: It looks like you got it sorted out and updated your post.  So scratch my suggestion.

bhansen009

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 09:25:10 am »

I have MC 18 for Windows 7. I purchased MC 21 and have installed the license successfully several times. But I have never found an upgrade file. I don't find anything for MC21. It sounds like when I start MC18 it should upgrade automatically. I haven't found anything about how to get from 18 to 21.

Lunna

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 01:02:07 pm »

Okay, so I just bought the Master License upgrade to MC21.   I get a message saying the license was installed, etc., but I still only get MC20.  When I check for upgrades, it just tells me that my MC20 is up to date.   Why hasn't MC21 replaced MC20?

Arindelle

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 01:13:57 pm »

Okay, so I just bought the Master License upgrade to MC21.   I get a message saying the license was installed, etc., but I still only get MC20.  When I check for upgrades, it just tells me that my MC20 is up to date.   Why hasn't MC21 replaced MC20?
Did you download it? The license file is one thing, the main program is another. If you have all three OSs, you need to install the applicable version on each machine.

bhansen009

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 04:58:31 pm »

Thank you for mentioning that. Usually when I buy software, the download comes as part of the purchase. I now have it installed.

Arindelle

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2015, 02:44:12 am »

Thank you for mentioning that. Usually when I buy software, the download comes as part of the purchase. I now have it installed.
you are welcome ! :) Its not obvious ... that permits people to try MC for free . the license file is what registers it. Glad it's sorted for you.

rh31060

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2015, 03:37:17 pm »

Please read these instructions first:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99969.msg692675#msg692675

If you still have questions, please post them here.

I am not sure if I am post in the correct way, I don't see a new post button. I purchased MC21, I have installed a lot of vst's on previous version MC20 that show up as DSP.  How can I upgrade to 21 from 20 without having to install all my vst's again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2015, 02:48:20 am »

I don't know the answer to that.  You may have to reinstall the VST's.  You could install MC21 to see.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2015, 01:59:57 am »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2015, 03:58:22 am »