ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Licencing on Windows 2007 SBS  (Read 3493 times)

bdoubtfire

• Place Personal Text Here
Licencing on Windows 2007 SBS
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:09 am »

Hi Bob / Deanna,
I have a customer running ICE.TCP Pro 5.1.26 on a WinXP (SP3) machine but the licence admin is running on a Win2k7 Small Buisness server (Windows Server Standard FE - 2007).  I can install ICE with no problem over the network from the server but when it comes to obtaining a sequence number I get 'There is no licence information for your company in that directory'.  The install is being run from the start > run command:
\\SERVERNAME\TCP5_User\setup.exe and the licence folder is noted in the configwizard as \\SERVERNAME\TCP5_User\Licenses

Other things to note:
- When the 10th license was added on the server it did not update the LiceseKeys file with the information so it has been added manually (using a copy and paste of an existing entry and then editing the pasted entry to ensure any hidden characters were copied)
- I can browse to \\SERVERNAME\TCP5_User\Licenses but can only see the LicenseKeys file (not the 1 to 10 files)
- Full authority has been granted to all users on the TCP5_User directory as well as on the Licenses directory and also the LicenseKeys file (to try and get over any 'inherited permissions' problems)
- I have also amended permissions on the Virtual store copy of the TCP5_User directory

I am, as they say, stumped but suspect that the issue is in fact with the Windows server (as it worked fine on Win2K3 SBS) and is somehow permissions related but any thoughts or pointers you may have would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Brett

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Licencing on Windows 2007 SBS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:12:54 am »

Hi Brett,

Sounds like you have covered everything mentioned in the Forum topic "Pro error messages explained"
        http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php/topic,12.0.html
A possible "interim" solution might be a "Remote Client install for Pro" found in "Tips and Tricks":
        http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php/topic,19.0.html
We'll keep checking.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:55:21 pm »

Hi Bob / Deanna,
I have a customer running ICE.TCP Pro 5.1.26 on a WinXP (SP3) machine but the licence admin is running on a Win2k7 Small Buisness server (Windows Server Standard FE - 2007).  I can install ICE with no problem over the network from the server but when it comes to obtaining a sequence number I get 'There is no licence information for your company in that directory'.  The install is being run from the start > run command:
\\SERVERNAME\TCP5_User\setup.exe and the licence folder is noted in the configwizard as \\SERVERNAME\TCP5_User\Licenses

Other things to note:
- When the 10th license was added on the server it did not update the LiceseKeys file with the information so it has been added manually (using a copy and paste of an existing entry and then editing the pasted entry to ensure any hidden characters were copied)
- I can browse to \\SERVERNAME\TCP5_User\Licenses but can only see the LicenseKeys file (not the 1 to 10 files)
I'm pretty sure the 1 to 10 files are hidden files. If you want to see them you can do the view option to allow the viewing of hidden files.
- Full authority has been granted to all users on the TCP5_User directory as well as on the Licenses directory and also the LicenseKeys file (to try and get over any 'inherited permissions' problems)
- I have also amended permissions on the Virtual store copy of the TCP5_User directory

I am, as they say, stumped but suspect that the issue is in fact with the Windows server (as it worked fine on Win2K3 SBS) and is somehow permissions related but any thoughts or pointers you may have would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Brett
I'd also guess that it's a permissions problem. Try browsing to the Licenses directory from the machine that's having the problem then do new->folder. See if the machine can create the older or if you get an error. The rather generic error message from ConfigWizard would be what you saw if it could not create the key file in the license folder.

bdoubtfire

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:00:49 am »

I tried copying the Licenses/Data folders and configwizard to the machine itself and running it locally hoping this would eliminate any permissions problems and was amazed to get the same error (No License information for your company in that folder).  This suggests that even though the licence admin program says there is a free licence there really isn't.

But don't be disheartened as there is a solution discovered by my customers Windows support team:

- renamed the licencses folder to licenses old
- right clicked on license admin program and select 'Run As' administrator.
- added the license back in and manually added existing users
- made certain of sharing permissions and installed fine on the remote machine.

For some reason running the license admin program normally by clicking on it does not appear to have worked even if logged in as the administrator so when the license was orginally added it did not install correctly and the configwizard could not see the additional license.  (So it was quite right in saying they were out of licenses)

Oh the joys of UAC on Windows 2007 SBS (so I assume this may be similar when adding licences on Vista but haven't tried it).

I'm going to have a coffee now!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:25:40 am »

I tried copying the Licenses/Data folders and configwizard to the machine itself and running it locally hoping this would eliminate any permissions problems and was amazed to get the same error (No License information for your company in that folder).  This suggests that even though the licence admin program says there is a free licence there really isn't.

But don't be disheartened as there is a solution discovered by my customers Windows support team:

- renamed the licencses folder to licenses old
- right clicked on license admin program and select 'Run As' administrator.
- added the license back in and manually added existing users
- made certain of sharing permissions and installed fine on the remote machine.

For some reason running the license admin program normally by clicking on it does not appear to have worked even if logged in as the administrator so when the license was orginally added it did not install correctly and the configwizard could not see the additional license.  (So it was quite right in saying they were out of licenses)

Oh the joys of UAC on Windows 2007 SBS (so I assume this may be similar when adding licences on Vista but haven't tried it).

I'm going to have a coffee now!

I think your problem wass because you were trying to run a pre UAC version on a UAC OS!
I'm pretty certain that Vista compatibility (UAC mostly) wasn't added until 5.1.28

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 20 queries.