INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to Windows 10 - will I have to reload my library in MC21?  (Read 3211 times)

sdmarquart

• World Citizen

Hey y'all. I've been having problems with my Windows PC (running Windows 7) and I'm going to install Windows 10 on it tonight. I mainly run MC21 on this computer. Is there something I can do to back-up my library so I don't have to re-import my nearly 4TB of music?

Please let me know asap.

Thanks!
Spencer

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrading to Windows 10 - will I have to reload my library in MC21?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »

File > Library >Backup Library.  Put it in a safe location.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 03:04:01 pm »

If you upgrade the PC "in place" (rather than wiping and reinstalling from scratch) you will need to reinstall the current version of MC overtop of the existing installation after upgrading.  You won't lose any settings nor your Library.

However, making a Library Backup is not a bad idea at all:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

If you need to wipe everything and reinstall from scratch, then the Library Backup contains all of MC's settings and your entire Library, as is described in the Wiki article I linked to above.

As a word to the wise: upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is unlikely to solve underlying issues that you don't otherwise understand. It may hide them, make them worse, or cause who knows what issue.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 03:06:55 pm »

Thank you. So, I can update "in place" and all I have to do is re-install MC 21? I will try that.

Regarding backup, what kind of file is it? If necessary, do I just import that file into MC21 and all my music will show up? Also, can I "load" that backup file to another PC running MC21 (on my same network) and it will load correctly?

Thanks for your help guys!

Spencer

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »

As a word to the wise: upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is unlikely to solve underlying issues that you don't otherwise understand. It may hide them, make them worse, or cause who knows what issue.

Well, that computer keeps randomly shutting down and it's a last ditch effort to see if this fixes it.

Thanks,
Spencer

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 04:44:39 pm »

Regarding backup, what kind of file is it? If necessary, do I just import that file into MC21 and all my music will show up? Also, can I "load" that backup file to another PC running MC21 (on my same network) and it will load correctly?

Read the Wiki article.

It is a ZIP file. And, yes, a Library Backup is a good way to migrate settings and your Library from one copy of MC to another. They are not device specific (though some of the settings, like Zones, may be).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 04:46:06 pm »

Well, that computer keeps randomly shutting down and it's a last ditch effort to see if this fixes it.

That indicates a hardware failure. Possibly overheating or a power supply issue.  It is slightly possible it could be a device driver, but if the computer is actually shutting off, then something is badly broken (and almost certainly a physical fault of some kind).

If the computer is rebooting (in other words, bluescreening and then restarting itself) or freezing, then it is more likely that it could be a driver issue.

You can try it, but that's not likely to solve the issue.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 06:19:40 pm »

If you're nuking a machine (wiping the hard drive) and starting from scratch, don't you need a few other things from the MC21 directories?  Like the Cover Art directory for example?  I say "a few other things" because I'm not sure if there's anything other than the cover art that might not be part of the Library Backup.

I know that saved splits and tabs are in the registry on Windows and in a config file on Mac.  Handhelds are similar right?

I'm not trying to play the "gotcha" game here.  I'm honestly interested in the procedure that would allow you to get *everything* and reproduce it on another machine, or the same machine after you nuke it.

Thanks,

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »

That indicates a hardware failure.

Definitely a sounds like a hardware failure, and most likely a power supply problem, though it could be memory that is on the edge of functioning, and fails under certain conditions, something overheating. Definitely requires hardware issue diagnostics.

Upgrading a PC in that state will stress the hardware, and is likely to see a failure during the process, and a totally borked PC, which may then be difficult to recover from without good backups of everything.

Do not upgrade. Fix your hardware issues.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 07:40:07 pm »

Thanks Glynor. Yeah, I'm not interested in upgrading the PC that shut off. I've got another laptop. The backup library worked perfectly. Had the new laptop set up and running with MC21 with my old library in less than a half hour.

Thanks again guys!

Spencer
Pages: [1]   Go Up