INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoying requests for IR functions.  (Read 4785 times)

slikvik

• World Citizen
Annoying requests for IR functions.
« on: September 09, 2003, 01:13:06 am »

It's funny you know...

I continue to see requests from people to add IR Remote support for Ratings or Zones etc etc.

How do you people actually navigate and play files in MC9.1 with remote!!

The Tab key only moves between Tree and Search, so you can't use that. But this is the clincher...

How do you play files!? Are you saying that you always want to play all files? Or always want to Add to playing now? Or you always play just a single file?

Because the way MC9 currently works you can only have ENTER as one type or another. Using Right Click with Girder does not work (trust me I've tried.)

I would seriously like to know, if you want to add a rating command, how the %^$£ are you actually getting to and playing your files in the first place!!!

Regards

Vic

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Annoying requests for IR functions.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 04:11:17 am »

vik,

How about just asking the question?  Example follows.

Jim

----

"How do people navigate and play files in MC9.1 with a remote?"

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 04:24:33 am »

Sorry,  :-[

I've just spent another 2 hours trying to get Girder to select RightClick and Add To Playing Now.

"How do people navigate and play files in MC9.1 with a remote?"
(Especially those who are already wanting to add ratings with a Remote)
(Not including HS)

Thanks

Vic
P.S. Sorry again.

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 04:25:12 am »

I continue to see requests from people to add IR Remote support for Ratings

I would seriously like to know, if you want to add a rating command, how the %^$£ are you actually getting to and playing your files in the first place!!!

Maybe your are referring to me as I've asked for ratings to be added numerous times over the last month or so.  To answer your question - I actually use the mouse to navigate around MC and select the files I wish to play.  I'm not saying that it can't be done with the remote - I've just no reason to try.  

Then I get comfy on my sofa for the next several hours and use the remote for Stop, Play, Next, Previous, etc.  The only thing that I'm missing is the ability to apply ratings as I listen to each track.  For that I have to get up off my lazy little ****.  

Now that Jim has kindly summarised your question so succinctly I'm sure that some helpful soul will tell you how it's done.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 05:20:35 am »

Vic,
Can you switch to Hairstyle when you use a remote?

I don't know if this will affect how you can apply ratings, but it we've tried to design it for use with a remote.  Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 05:47:16 am »

Jim - I don't know of any way to apply ratings to the currently playing track using hairstyle.  As a quick win before the interface or hairstyle is overhauled (I'm presuming that's on the cards for v10) can't we just have the 5 commands added to list in Tools> Options> Remote Control Settings?  There are already mjextman commands for this but I'd rather use MC than girder to operate my IRMAN remote.

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 07:28:00 am »

Jim - I don't know of any way to apply ratings to the currently playing track using hairstyle.

Ctrl+Shift+[Number 0-5]

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 08:39:41 am »

Ctrl+Shift+[Number 0-5]

Yes but you can't achieve that using an IR remote.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 08:59:21 am »

Yes but you can't achieve that using an IR remote.

I have a remote for My Air Conditioner, Tv (all 5 of them), DVD player (2 of them), Sat Dish (Both of Them), Tivo, VHS Players (3 of them), Stereo, Car Stereo (For Both Cars), One For Each Car To Lock And Unlock It, I Have 2 Fans On My Front Porch With Remotes.

I need another remote like a hole in the head and can't find the ones I Do have.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

gkerber

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 09:03:15 am »

I have a remote for My Air Conditioner, Tv (all 5 of them), DVD player (2 of them), Sat Dish (Both of Them), Tivo, VHS Players (3 of them), Stereo, Car Stereo (For Both Cars), One For Each Car To Lock And Unlock It, I Have 2 Fans On My Front Porch With Remotes.

I need another remote like a hole in the head and can't find the ones I Do have.

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/4505-3505_7-6955704.html

I've got 4 of these learning universal remotes.  I have a cabinet full of remotes and only one in my living room, kitchen, bedroom and office.

There are many other great learning remotes out now, this one may be pricey considering what else is available now.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 09:05:31 am »

cute

BTW I also have remotes for things i do not have anymore.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

slikvik

• World Citizen
beRe: Annoying requests for IR functions.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 10:09:22 am »

Hi Jim,

Hairstyle would be a god send for big screen, remote control, party fun. The problem is there are few fundamental issues that stop it working as a great Living Room Front End.

- Hairstyle needs to stay in hairstyle. I click stop and it leaves hairstyle, click enqueue and it leaves Hairstyle.

- While it seems like a good idea to be able to use just cursors and enter, it's simply not enough to be intuitive:-

Cursors should just be used for navigating either the List OR the options not to move between them.

TAB should be used to move between List and Options.

A key should be used to flip between full screen playing now and hairstyle when YOU'RE ready to.

That would give enough navigation controls to plonk the remote in front of someone and let them pick music.

- There seems to be a delay when using  Hairstyle at the moment.

I'm really trying to give Hairstyle a thorough going over and at the moment these things either stop you from wanting to use it or confuse when using.

Regards

Vic

gkerber

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2003, 11:22:20 am »

cute

BTW I also have remotes for things i do not have anymore.

Don't we all?  And keys, do you have any keys to old houses and locks around (that you can't remember what they go to...).

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2003, 01:27:46 pm »

I can do you one better: I have keys to three cars I have never owned: A Ford Mustang convertible, a Doge Intrepid (I think it was called that), a Cadillac Seville and a Chevy Astro minivan. Cars I have rented on my three trips to the US (I always make spares to wear some strange place on my body in case I get mugged, loose a key or lock one in) I have kept the keys as a memory. I actually have remotes for things I have never owned  as well, but that was to get a larger library of IR codes for my learning Marantz RC2000 remote to use with Girder.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

jleerigby

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2003, 01:32:20 pm »

Mastiff, you should seek help.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2003, 01:37:40 pm »

What I don't get is why you're trying to access MC's right click menu with Girder at all.

If you're already using Girder, why don't you use the girder file that somebody (I forget who) spent a lot of time creating that does pretty much EVERYTHING.

I'm looking at it now and it can set ratings. As well a whole &*%#load of other stuff.

gkerber

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 01:37:48 pm »

Mastiff, you should seek help.

He might rent the same exact car again, and keeping those keys would save duplication costs.....

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 06:20:24 pm »

What I don't get is why you're trying to access MC's right click menu with Girder at all.

If you're already using Girder, why don't you use the girder file that somebody (I forget who) spent a lot of time creating that does pretty much EVERYTHING.

I'm looking at it now and it can set ratings. As well a whole &*%#load of other stuff.

Well, there are commands to set ratings, but I don't think they've worked since v.8. However, the commands just need to be altered to use the keyboard commands listed above. For v.8, they relied on a complicated plug-in structure to access the contextual menus without actually throwing the menus on the screen.

Anyway, try assigning them the CTRL-SHIFT-[0-5] keys and seeing if that works for you.

Best,
Brad

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 07:27:08 pm »

That's funny. Guess nobody told my system it wasn't supposed to be working...

No plugins installed.

Girder's setting ratings just fine.

And I'm running 9.1.248.

dekko

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2003, 09:44:01 pm »

I'm able to rate songs jsut fine in MC9 with my remote using girder, it's already programed for you in the supplied girder file.

jleerigby

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 09:58:24 pm »

So how long is it realistically going to take me to get to grips with Girder - just so I can apply ratings?  I've heard that it's quite a complex program.

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2003, 01:50:02 am »

Hi

Brads GML does in fact have load of stuff in it and I've taken it one step further (on Brads advice) by using Supernudelist with my pronto to store and Index of all my albums to play at the press of a button!

But...

It does not support different play types:

Play just that one song
Play all songs that are listed
Add song to playing now to build up a 'live' playlist for the night.

That is why I was trying to get the right click menu to work with girder (again on Brads good advice); so I could select to add songs to playing now OR play an entire list.

Am I the only person who actually uses different play types?!

Regards

Vic

dekko

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2003, 08:23:52 pm »

I'm pretty new to Girder myself, It's taken me about two weeks of playing with Girder to get to the point where I'm happy with my setup.

I've discovered that you don't have to know everything about Girder in order to get a usable system setup.

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2003, 02:38:49 am »

I'm actually pretty good with Girder. I've written a DVD activated script that detects what region disc you have and automatically edits the registry to accept it.

For some strange reason though, the hidepopup plugin will not work with MC9's right click menu. I think it has something to do with the dynamic-ness of the menu.

Thats why it's frustrating to not have anyway of getting remote functionality for play types.
Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up