Windows > Television

Australia TV Setup

<< < (8/11) > >>

jmone:
My quote is about $3,300 to go from FTTC to FTTH .... I've paid now I'm waiting for the contractor to contact me.  I'm on a battle axe block so I'm a bit worried if they can pull it in one of the exisitng conduits else it will cost a bomb! 

David Sydney:
WWhoosh - over the top of my head... What is the objective of setting up mutiple EPG feeds like this?

astromo:
jmone, thanks heaps for filling in a lot of gaps. This will take me a bit to digest but it sounds like you've nailed it home. Well done.. applause to you..  ;)

David, the point of consolidating multiple EPG feeds is to populate the MC EPG with the best data on offer.

The ICETV EPG is curated regularly (but comes at a cost), so is arguably the best data source but it doesn't cover all channels. The idea that I've got is to use another source, e.g. the xmltv.net data, to fill in the gaps.

However, as jmone illustrates, it's a bit involved to set up but importantly it's entirely doable.

RoderickGI:
I've converted over to XMLTV.net now. Poor EPG Collector has been abandoned.  :'(

XMLTV.net does have really good coverage, and as shown in Jmone's posts above, only a few radio stations don't have any EPG. I think you missed one though Jmone. I don't get EPG for 203 and 204 as you noted, plus 29. I don't listen to radio via MC very often, and certainly not using the Guide, but maybe I should, so I might set up OTA for those channels.

The IceTV EPG data is far more complete than XMLTV.net though, with better descriptions and other features. But at the moment XMLTV.net will do fine. It loads way faster than EPG Collector ever did.

The channel duplication, mostly due to historical changes and the requirement to support SD TVs on the original channels (2, 7, 9, 10), make selection of which channels to hide a bit of a pain. The various Video and Audio Formats broadcast add to the fun. I've kept all the HD channels and hidden all the SD channels, where the programming is identical. I even found there were some more new channels and changes I hadn't picked up earlier. I now have the same list of channels as shown in Jmone's post above.

I've now updated my TV Channel Guide to not show Radio channels, and created a new Guide just for Radio. I've also made all the HD channels Favourites, so now my Favourites Guide shows only HD programs. Neat. I just need to get my Movies Guide working, which requires a change in MC. XMLTV.net doesn't flag movies just as "Movie", but adds more information such as "Television Movie" and "Cinema Movie", so MC doesn't pick up that the programs are movies and leaves them flagged as "TV Shows".

Getting there though. The flexibility of MC is amazing.  8)

Thanks for originally pointing out XMLTV.net David.
Thanks to Jmone for biting the bullet and implementing it, then documenting the process, and so prompting me to do the same.

jmone:
@RoderickGI - I've taken out channels 28,29,203,204 from the EPG collectors and just use EIT for these.  Not that it really matters given I really don't use these channels but hey it is nice to see stuff filled in :)

The bottom line is if you want a Free EPG then xmltv.net is the way to go.  If you are happy to pay for an EPG then iceTV is the most complete.  Both are very quick to load.  EIT is a fallback.  Combining all three works well and gives the best overall EPG in MC to date.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version