Windows > Television

Australia TV Setup

<< < (9/11) > >>

astromo:

--- Quote from: jmone on September 13, 2020, 05:43:00 pm ---@RoderickGI - I've taken out channels 28,29,203,204 from the EPG collectors and just use EIT for these.  Not that it really matters given I really don't use these channels but hey it is nice to see stuff filled in :)

The bottom line is if you want a Free EPG then xmltv.net is the way to go.  If you are happy to pay for an EPG then iceTV is the most complete.  Both are very quick to load.  EIT is a fallback.  Combining all three works well and gives the best overall EPG in MC to date.

--- End quote ---

Fantastic stuff jmone. The only bump in the road that I had to negotiate was to set up the TV Stations view at the root of the viewing tree. I started using a sub-view of Video which gave me a blank void.

I'm with you that I don't expect to make full use of the data but if it's easy to get, then you never know when it will come in handy.

Thanks again. This offers user flexibility, which should end up in more happy users.. Cheers ..  ;D

jmone:
Sounds good!  ...and yes I had setup my View at the top level years ago so had probably forgotten about the nesting issues (it is also an easy way to just tune to a channel)

RoderickGI:
I have a "Tools" View group for such maintenance Views where I don't want any top level restrictions.

But you can also just uncheck the "Use parent scheme rules for file display" to have MC look across all databases.

RoderickGI:
I ran the OTA and XMLTV.net EPG collection last night to see if I could combine them, using the OTA EIT EPG just for channels 29, 203, and 204. It didn't go so well.

I tried to simulate having both run daily to just fill the channels that had missing EPG, but they both ran at the same time and as the OTA collection takes much longer than the XMLTV.net collection, the OTA collection overwrote everything the XMLTV.net did.

So to make it work I could run the OTA collection on a schedule, and then manually turn that off, then manually run the XMLTV.net collection only to overwrite the EPG for all the channels it knows about. I won't be doing that. Not for three Radio channel EPGs. Or I could run all collections overnight as per your process Jmone, with the OTA repeated every 24 hours and the XMLTV.net repeated so that the MC EPG was updated before it was required in the morning. But that seems like a bit of overkill, because the OTA collection takes so long, and in between the first run and the repeat of the XMLTV.net collection, the EPG would be bad. That would likely trigger a lot of activity around TV recordings, adding them then removing them, then adding them again, etc., because of the change in EPG data for most channels.

It would be nice to have more control, and possibly not wake the PC overnight, but do it early morning.

Also the process you described Jmone works for two EPG sources, but it wouldn't work for three EPG sources. If you wanted to populate the EPG with the best data for all channels you would need OTA, XMLTV.net, and IceTV, which can't be controlled fully at the moment.

So to make it work automatically we would definitely need the changes you have suggested in Reply #27. i.e. Provide a "Start At" and "Repeat" time period for each EPG collection method/Mode.

I would also like to see the ability to select which channels each EPG collection method/Mode will collect for, so that I can limit the OTA collection to just the few channels I require, as that would reduce the processing time significantly.

BTW Jmone, this isn't correct:

--- Quote from: jmone on September 10, 2020, 04:36:10 am ---There is a field in MC called "TV XMLTV ID" that is used to match with the XML EPG details for a channel.  You can not edit this in the GUI, but you can edit this if you add a View using ([Media Type]=[TV]).
--- End quote ---

You can edit the "TV XMLTV ID" field in the MC GUI using the Manage Channels dialogue. Just hover your mouse over an "TV XMLTV ID" value and a popup will tell you how. It requires two slow clicks, and is a little tricky to get right sometimes, but works fine.

PS: With a decent EPG now available in my MC installation, I am looking at watching more OTA TV again. Still being in Lockdown, I have just about exhausted the YouTube videos I want to watch, and other sources as well. Some good old programs from our Australian broadcasters are now looking better!  8)

JimH:

--- Quote ---So to make to work automatically we would definitely need the changes you have suggested in Reply #27. i.e. Provide a "Start At" and "Repeat" time period for each EPG collection method/Mode
--- End quote ---
Or rank them so MC knows what order to run them in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version