INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 hates me  (Read 11679 times)

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
Windows 10 hates me
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »

I for one do not welcome windows 10 endless variety of blue screens.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Windows 10 hates me
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 03:53:48 pm »

Its been mostly OK for me on a bunch of PCs but in the end I had to do a clean install on my Main PC for stability reasons
JRiver CEO Elect

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:11:47 am »

Seems much happier with a fresh install.  I'm guessing the weird arduino drivers and actually updating with Norton AV running might have been a mistake.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 12:37:14 am »

Weaselly piece of @#$! just switched me to a microsoft account because I tried to use it for one @#$@# thing.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 12:49:50 am »

Yup - I don't mind it between my Laptop and PC.... but for HTPC?  On these I tend to switch between a local account and a MS Account when you need to get something from their app store.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:57:41 am »

My main PC runs fine on a local account. I attached a MS account for updates and store usage, but login is still local - the way I like it. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 03:08:23 am »

Weaselly piece of @#$! just switched me to a microsoft account because I tried to use it for one @#$@# thing.

And the downside of a Microsoft account is?

I quite like logging into multiple machines and having my profile sync favourites, apps and preferences between machines.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 03:10:13 am »

I quite like logging into multiple machines and having my profile sync favourites, apps and preferences between machines.

If there was a proper way to tell it what to sync, that might be true, but there is no fine-grained control, so stuff gets annoying, at least for me.
Not all of my systems are configured identically - intentionally at that, for example.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 03:11:19 am »

On my HTPCs I don't want users having access to my "stuff" as they are more dedicated CE Devices rather then PCs.
JRiver CEO Elect

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 02:06:42 pm »

I need none of that and I see no reason to give Skynet any data.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 02:09:43 pm »

Resistance is feudal.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 10:46:47 pm »

Bah.  Made a new account.

Best part of windows 10 is that it breaks the corporate VPN which means I can't work until I can go back in the office.  Can't really blame windows 10 for that.  I suppose I could enable hyper-v, install Linux and VPN into the office from that.  Or I could just wait for my surgeon to say I can go back to work and just go back then.

Yeah, that seems like a plan.

Hilton

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 11:10:33 pm »

On my HTPCs I don't want users having access to my "stuff" as they are more dedicated CE Devices rather then PCs.

easy fix. Have another Live/MS account JUST for HTPC. Then all settings and everything you DO want to share across HTPC's and clients is syncronized across machines.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 11:53:41 pm »

True...
JRiver CEO Elect

DarkPenguin

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 12:50:24 pm »

Now that it is running this seems nice.

Do I install Norton AV or not....  I've paid for it.  Will I pay for it again if I install it?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »

These days I just use MS Defender.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:04 pm »

easy fix. Have another Live/MS account JUST for HTPC. Then all settings and everything you DO want to share across HTPC's and clients is syncronized across machines.

Easier fix: Use local account. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 08:52:54 pm »

Easier fix: Use local account. :)

This.  90% of the customization I do in windows is just turning off synchronization/cloud integration and all the various data gathering/phone home features.  If they made a sync client for that, I'd make an account  ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 10:58:27 pm »

Do I install Norton AV or not....  I've paid for it.  Will I pay for it again if I install it?

If you do, make sure you have the very latest version. At least for Norton 360, Symantec did a major upgrade for compatibility with Windows 10, and a new look. The earlier versions were not compatible with Windows 10, according to warnings I received approaching the launch.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 10:15:17 am »

I am one of the few people who is lucky and always succeeded to upgrade my Windows versions without problems and no bsods.
From win 7 ultimate x64, I went to win 10 Pro x64, with keeping all my software on my server (updated all my software before doing the upgrades), no problems, it took about 1 hour.
On my HTPC, from win 7 home premium x64, to Win 8 Pro, upgrade, because it was very cheap at that time, straight to Win 8.1 Pro via windows Store (was also free) and then
to Win 10 Pro x64, only because it was free . 8.1 worked fine. Win 10 is a bit slower in starting up than 8, but only a matter of a few minutes. I don't care, I have time, but way faster than win 7. Going from 8.1 Pro x64 to 10 Pro x64 took about 45 minutes, which I consider fast without clean install.
The thing is, I use hardware from companies that are fast with new and good drivers, like RME for audio cards (external via USB), gigabyte or Asus for motherboards.
This weekend I did the big update for Win 10 on both server and client, only my server acted very strange during the update but at the end everything was okay, that was a scary moment for five minutes :-)
I'm not a fan anymore for Norton AV, I'm using the last five years only products from Eset, fast, simple and uses few resources. Making backups (images from partitions) I always
used Acronis True Image and works very nice together with Windows Pro versions.
Good luck for your next adventure with windows 10, and remember, keep your computers clean and give it a very good airflow so it doesn't heat up, because you have no control on the speed of your fans during upgrades (if you are using this in the Bios of the mobo or with software like Speedfan)

Pages: [1]   Go Up