INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring library with new computer with Windows 10  (Read 3158 times)

jpnisuoc

• Recent member
Restoring library with new computer with Windows 10
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:05:36 am »

Good morning,

I had to replace my old computer  recently.
I reloaded JRiver MC19 on the new computer and I restored the library backup.

On the old computer I had on the screen the C: drive , the Z: drive on the screnn where was located my music, and the server QNAP109PRO on the network.
The Z: drive name was given by Windows 8.1. The  Z: drive and QNAP109PPRO are the same, means the files are identical due to the fact it's the same hard disk  but with two different names.

Now after reinstalling Windows 10 I have on the screen the C:, [QNAP109PRO] instead the Z:, and the server QNAP109PRO on the network.

In fact after realoding the libray backup I have some files coming per example from:
\\QNAP109PRO\Public\JPB Music\JAZZ music\Eric Bibb - Jericho Road, it's works well ; and some coming from Z:\JPB MUSIC\Jazz Music\(as example)

When I have the Filename path Z:\JPB MUSIC\Jazz Music\Eric Bibb - Jericho Road and I click on play I get the message:" the file could not be found . Check that the file name in the Library matches the file name on the disk.

Any Idea how to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance

JP Nisuoc

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Restoring library with new computer with Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:27:10 am »

Set up your autoimport options.  Tools / Import/ Autoimport. 

Then remove the files you don't want.  Search for them and "soft" delete them (read carefully and check your work on a few before you do very many).

jpnisuoc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:51 am »

Thanks for the answer.

The problem is with Library restore.
I have noticed when I click on Audio/Album/I choose one album, then I select file, I can see on the name file path the  file name per example: Z:\JPB MUSIC\Jazz Music\Eric Bibb - Jericho Road
When I replace Z: by \\QNAP109PRO\Public on one album it's fine I can listen to music and I get back the jaquette.

I could do this for all albums (more than 1200), but it will take a lot of time.
How to do this only by globally replacing Z: by \\QNAP109PRO\Public to get \\QNAP109PRO\Public\JPB Music\JAZZ music\Eric Bibb - Jericho Road.

Thanks

JP Nisuoc

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:31:42 am »

Use Windows drive mapping to map your Qnap to drive letter Z: ..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:28:38 am »

Andrew's suggestion is the simplest way to get access back to all of your media.  Since you have a mixture of UNC paths (\\Qnap\foo\bar\baz) and drive letter Z this will work.  But you'll still have JRiver's database full of both types of references.  Personally, I would want to standardize on either one or the other.

So, like you mentioned, I would want to replace JRiver's database entries for the Z: drive with references to the UNC path instead.   The tool to do this job is the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Here's a high level overview of how I would do it:

A.  Find all references to the Z: drive in MC.  Go to a view that shows you all files.  Then just type Z: into the search box at the upper right.  You should now have a list of all the entries on the Z: drive that MC knows about.
B.  Select some of these files, a small number to start, and run RM&C on them to change their database entries from Z: to UNC path.  You'll want to use the tool in Update Database mode.  This just changes MC's pointers for the files, but does NOT attempt to move or copy any files on disk.  Which is exactly what you want to do.  Use the Find and Replace box near the bottom of the RM&C tool to do this.  Find and Replace will change whatever you tell it to in the file and path names.

Several very IMPORTANT points about this process:

1.  Make a database backup before you start.  That way you can restore the backup if you screw up.  File > Library > Backup Library.
2.  In the RM&C tool, use the PREVIEW window!  It will show you exactly what it's going to do before you press OK.  If it's not right, adjust it until it is right.
3.  Check your work after.  Make sure you can access the files after you do the Update in RM&C.  If it works, move to a larger group of files.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up