INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred method for playing two or more DLNA devices at once  (Read 3749 times)

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
Preferred method for playing two or more DLNA devices at once
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:29:40 pm »

I tried several different searches and figure this info already exists. So, if it does please direct me to that thread or resource.

After trying three different UPnP players, I finally found one (JRiver) that will play two DLNA linked devices simultaneously which was a big "Yeah!".  The best way I have found so far is to just have both live in Overview, have the same playlist loaded on both and then just start them both as close together as possible. That gets them within about a second of each other. 

I tried using the link function but had two issues: 1. They didn't seem to stay perfectly in sync 2. The worst problem was that I started getting 1-2 seconds of silence every couple minutes which was too annoying to ignore.  So, I unlinked them and that stuttering problem went away.

Somewhere in my exploration of MC 21 I thought I saw a "Party" function but could not find anything on that doing several searches either and now don't see it in any of the menus.

Any advice on running 2 and preferred 3 devices simultaneously so I could have the same music on systems downstairs, upstairs and outside would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Preferred method for playing two or more DLNA devices at once
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:33:15 pm »

The wiki has a topic on Zone Sync.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 04:03:33 pm »

thanks for the terminology info!

I did a search on the Wiki for Zone Sync and basically just found definitions of terms but no set-up advice.  I learned that linking my two DLNA devices together used the Zone function.

But, I couldn't find anything on why I was getting stuttering when the two devices were linked and not when they are unlinked. I also have not found any recommended configurations for setting up two or more DLNA devices to run concurrently.  

I'm still stuck.  Conversely, am I trying to do something JRiver is not capable of?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:37:42 am »

MC is not very good at synchronised play to two or more UPNP renderers. This is to a large extent because many renderers do not have particularly accurate play out clocks. I have in the past suggested improvements in MC to synchronise the start of playing of tracks. But unless you have two identical renderers, it is likely that over the length of a track the synch will drift apart. The longer the track, the worse it may get...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

bubbleguuum

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 09:47:36 am »

Even with identical renderers, playback will not be synced. Buffering is unpredictable.
The only way for synced playback is a proper sync protocol and renderers that support it.
Support for that kind of feature is not trivial, that's why Sonos and others sell expensive proprietary solutions to do it.
Attempting multiroom with regular UPnP AV renderers whether the same model or not is a waste of time.
Using configurable delays per renderer before starting playback is not even a solution because buffering time is variable
depending on network condition and other factors.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:30:01 am »

Hi Bubbleguuum,

The UPNP AVTransport v2 & v3 specifications added the SyncPlay SOAP method (analog to the regular Play method) plus other methods and protocols for clock syncing..

Only problem is that I have never yet encountered a real renderer that supports those methods...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 11:40:33 am »

Thanks for the info AndrewFG and Bubbleguuum. That will save me from a lot of frustration and wasting my time on a dead end.  The tip about Sonos is really appreciated. I did not know about that company and have been browsing their various solutions - very interesting array of products.  Most likely more $$$ than what I really want to spend right now for something that is a "nice-to-have", but when some of my older equipment dies and needs to be replaced, then Sonos might be the place to go. 

This thread gives me a better picture of what I can expect from JRiver.  Much appreciated!

AndrewFG - For JRiver, your suggestion of resyncing at the start of the track would be a great improvement and, at least for me and my situation, would be that 95% solution I would be happy with. A slight off-sync developing during an individual track would not be very noticeable in my application - a resync at the start of each new track would be enough. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 12:06:10 pm »

MC does resync at the beginning of each track.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 09:02:07 pm »

In light of my original post of stuttering problems when I had the two devices connected through Link Zone, any advice on how to avoid that problem?  Or, are you talking about a resync functionality independent of Link Zone? 

bubbleguuum

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 04:30:34 am »

Hi Bubbleguuum,

The UPNP AVTransport v2 & v3 specifications added the SyncPlay SOAP method (analog to the regular Play method) plus other methods and protocols for clock syncing..

Only problem is that I have never yet encountered a real renderer that supports those methods...

Yes of course, SyncPlay is a proper solution, but no renderer implements it.

Multiroom really remains the domain of hardware vendors with a proprietary solution (that generally just work).

In the grand scheme of things, multiroom is only of interest for a very tiny percentage of all users of network streamers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up