INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ripping question - burst mode in MC?  (Read 5742 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
ripping question - burst mode in MC?
« on: September 23, 2015, 04:37:30 pm »

i came across a great deal on around 2000 used CD's.  none of them are in great shape but most aren't too bad

it's taking a VERY long time to rip, i'm not surprised (secure mode)

i'm now worried about drive stress as i move through such an amount of discs...what are the rip types with MC?  for example, EAC has burst mode, which while not guaranteeing a good rip, stops the drive head from doing the back and forth boogie

if i use MC in non-secure mode, what happens with the bad sectors?  i've never ripped without secure mode on before...

thanks.  mostly just curious

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ripping question - burst mode in MC?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 05:49:29 pm »

You could try turning off secure mode.  The worst that might happen is that you'll hear a defect in the track, but you can always re-rip in secure mode to have a better chance of getting a good file.

Rip to FLAC or APE or any lossless file.  Try each if you're not sure.  One might be faster.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 05:56:12 pm »

thanks Jim

i'm a FLAC only guy.  i've turned off secure ripping, and re-ripped one of them without (0.3x vs. 8x speed).  will take a listen to see if i notice anything, if not i'll probably leave secure off, just too many to rip.  the logs are kind of pointless to have when all the tracks show unsecure anyways, will have to use listening instead :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 05:58:07 pm »

If the discs are in average condition, I wouldn't expect to have more than a handful of bad ones.  You might look for obvious scratches and put them in a different pile to rip last with secure mode.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:09:36 pm »

there are a few rarities and absolute gems, i'll probably spend all the time verifying those and burn the rest (that i don't already have) with speed in mind.

it was a great find, a huge box full for a pocket full of change :)

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 06:20:34 pm »

I think you're going to regret ripping in burst mode. You're just about guaranteed to get some clicks, pops, or other nasty sounds.  Now I'm not the one that has to rip all 2000 of those discs, so that's easy for me to say!  :)  I just hate, hate, HATE bad rips.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:23:52 pm »

Interesting Blgentry, I'll do some listening...I have a lot of them already but even still, I also hate bad rips.  At the pace of secure rip though I'll be lucky to find time to do 2 per day ha ha ha

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:05:04 pm »

I don't know what burst mode is.

JRiver's "Secure Mode" just re-reads the disc multiple times to verify that it's reading correctly, but it is normally not needed to get a good rip.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 09:12:53 pm »

Burst mode is what EAC calls their "single pass error correction" - instead of re-reading X number of times it goes back after the fact and re-reads all the bad sectors on the disc.  It's supposed to be easier on the spindle (keeps spinning)

So far, listening while ripping I can't hear any differences between the few secure mode and the re-rips in normal mode.  I'm also checksum with cue tools and 50% of the tracks are matching accurate rip database, which is actually pretty good for an insecure rip

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 09:25:01 pm »

A single pass couldn't tell you if you had a good read of the disc.

I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Just rip and when you find a problem, be prepared to go back and rip again.  It shouldn't happen often unless the discs are damaged.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 10:55:12 pm »

FWIW i'm about 12 discs in so far and only 4 i've had to use in-secure ripping.  the other 8 are getting nice logs

i'm just not prepared to spend 4+ hours on a single CD unless it's rare or awesome or whatever.  currently listening to the in-secure rips and so far no audible defects.  considering the amount of work ahead of me i'm ok with this system, i'll take 75% secure

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 07:38:41 am »

A secure rip of a CD shouldn't take 4 hours.  You might try another drive.  As someone said above, they are cheap now.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 09:00:49 am »

My worst ever rip on my Macbook Pro's internal drive was on a very damaged copy of The Sisters Of Mercy, Floodland.  The disc looks like it got taken on a trip to the beach and thrown on the floor of the car on the way back.  It's not destroyed, but it's extremely scratched over most of it's surface in circles and swirls.

I think I spent about 1.25 to 1.5 hours on that disk across two different ripping sessions.  I eventually got a totally clean rip audibly:  No clicks, no pops, no beeps or boops.  But only a small number of the tracks were ripped "perfectly".  The others had errors, just not audible.

A few other discs I've done similar things with, most taking 30 to 45 minutes of total rip time.  At least 2 or 3 of those have required a re-rip of one or two songs because the songs had audible clicks or pops in them.  This process is SUPER tedious because you have to listen to every second of every song to be sure.  I'd REALLY rather buy discs that are in good shape these days, but occasionally I get a stinker.

I've taken to actually WASHING ugly discs first now.  With dish soap and water, using my fingers to apply it.  This actually helps in some cases.  I've also tried toothpaste as a mild buffing compound, using mostly straight lines from center hub to disc edge.  I've had just about zero luck doing that and have introduced fine scratches in a few discs doing this too.  Ooops.  There are disc resurfacing machines starting below $100 for "ok" models and going up to around $400-ish for more professional models that are supposed to do an amazing job.  You might get lucky and find a local store that rents games or DVDs that actually has one of these machines that might resurface your discs for a small charge per disc.

Good luck on your mission Sergeant Ferday!

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 10:03:04 am »

You might try dBpoweramp. I have not looked recently, but in the past is was faster than MC. Of course, you then have to import the files, and there may be some re-tagging to do, but that is usually quick. I have also had discs that MC would not read but dBpoweramp eventually got through, although with errors. A few really bad ones I just ran dBpoweramp overnight to read.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 10:47:37 am »

finished washing them last night with soap and sorting them into categories of how bad they are.  starting with the best quality, so far everything is ripping pretty good

it's looking like i either don't have, or have only m4a/mp3 copies of, the majority so it's turned into a good find!  while ripping the good ones i'm doing the Brasso polish on the bad ones to see what i can clean up

thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  not going to use db, i have EAC waiting in the wings but so far MC is doing a bang up job of the ripping and the huge majority are getting mostly clean logs with only a couple tracks showing errors.  the few bad ones i've tried i just did normal ripping and listened, sound pretty good!

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 10:52:09 am »

it's looking like i either don't have, or have only m4a/mp3 copies of, the majority so it's turned into a good find!

I've recently done replacements of MP3 (and other) formats for new rips in FLAC while preserving all of the MC tags, ratings, play counts, etc.  It was pretty cool.  Have you done the file swaperoo before?

while ripping the good ones i'm doing the Brasso polish on the bad ones to see what i can clean up

Brasso seems too abrasive to me. But I've never tried it on plastic.  What do the discs look like before and after Brasso?

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 11:00:46 am »

oh yes blgentry, in the last few years i've slowed down my new music acquiring and focused on getting good FLAC copies of a lot of my older stuff.  we were pretty cavalier in the early 90's when digital just became popular LOL. 

i've used Brasso before with decent results.  There are a few uber-rarities in this bunch so i may get those done professionally if i can't get a clean rip but normally the brasso can produce miracles if careful

http://www.instructables.com/id/Re-surfacing-CDs-so-they-work-again./
Pages: [1]   Go Up