INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Renders Recorded TV Shows 4x3  (Read 2795 times)

jcalcote

DLNA Renders Recorded TV Shows 4x3
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:44:08 am »

Hi -

My Sony BD player is rendering JRiver recorded TV shows in 4x3. This is the first time I've seen this sort of thing happen - I switched from Windows Media Center to JRiver 20 recently. With WMC, this BD player had not trouble rendering WMC-recorded tv shows in 16x9, but JRiver jtv files are rendered in 4x3.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,
John

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Renders Recorded TV Shows 4x3
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 02:56:22 am »

Check your MC media network DLNA server settings for video media.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jcalcote

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 10:24:52 pm »

Check your MC media network DLNA server settings for video media.

Thanks, but there are very few settings in that section of configuration - and none of them remotely related to aspect ratio.

I guess there just is no really good solution for us DLNA video watchers. I record TV shows on my media center server and I want to watch them on my smart BD player. Several times now, MC has crashed while attempting to fast forward through commercials. Ok - I get it - it's hard to fast forward through a transcoded file - but it's not impossible - WMC was able to do it pretty reliably and it *never* crashed while I was trying to do something through DLNA - never. AND... it displayed in the correct aspect ratio. I used it for 5 years. I wish I hadn't upgraded to Windows 10 - I'd still be using it and it would still be working.

But here's the worst part - when MC crashes, I restart the show and it starts at the beginning again - and I can't fast forward (even at speed one) for more than 10 minutes or it crashes again. Thus, there's no way to get back to the spot where it failed the first time - thus, there's no way to finish watching my show except to login to my media center and watch it there.

It's basically unusable as a PVR with DLNA clients.

I guess I'm headed back to Windows 7 and WMC.

Oh - wait - there is one solution that would probably work pretty well - I could buy a 500+ dollar PC (at least that much to get one with hdmi video) and set it next to my TV. But who has that much money for a dumb terminal used effectively to render video?

John

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:57:16 am »

G'Day John,

Don't give up so easily. The problems are probably fixable, even the crashes. The more people that come across from WMC to MC, the better it will be. I suspect that part of the issue is that MC has lots of settings for everything. I don't remember as many video settings when I used WMC. I suspect it defaulted to the most common settings. Anyway, let's look at the issues.

Thanks, but there are very few settings in that section of configuration - and none of them remotely related to aspect ratio.

I was sort of expecting a default aspect ratio in the DLNA settings as well. I don't use DLNA as a general rule, but my TV is a renderer, and sometime I test capabilities. Although I always push media from my HTPC to the TV, rather than having the renderer pull media from the Server as I suspect you do. I'm assuming you aren't using a Remote App with MC at this stage.

First thing, sometimes TV broadcasters screw up the Aspect Ratio in their broadcasts. Mostly just for specific programs, but sometimes for all programs on a channel. That could be the case. Does the problem happen for just one program channel, all channels, all programs? MC stores a tag called [Aspect Ratio] against every file, but that is just for information purposes. It is sometimes blank for TV recordings, and it is possible that your Sony BD player uses that tag to decide how to play the steam, and assumes a blank means use a ratio of 4:3. Or maybe your Sony BD player uses a default ratio of 4:3 if no other information is available.

Fixing the issue is a little difficult when using a DLNA renderer remote from the server. However, you could try this setting on the server:
In Standard View in MC on your server, go to Tools/Options/Video/Advanced, then adjust the Aspect Ratio Mode. I think the default is "No Change". Try using "Automatic". That may see the video rendered at 16:9. You could also try "Stretch" if the recording is incorrectly identified internally, but generally that isn't a good solution in my view.

You could also try changing the "Aspect Ratio Correction" setting in the same area. The setting to output 4:3 as 16:9 may be what you need.

If neither of those fix the problem, try this to see if it works. This isn't a proper fix, just a test. For one of the problem programs, go to the server and start playing it. Then either press "a" to toggle through the different ratios, or press the up arrow on the keyboard until you see Aspect Ratio on the menu, and select the best ratio for the program. That information will then be saved with that program and used when it is played in future. Now go to the Sony BD player and play the same program. Does it play at the corrected Aspect Ratio?

If you try the above and it works (or doesn't), let me know and I'll come back to help with the Fast Forwarding and crashes. I have run out of time right now. Note that the development team is very responsive to fixing crashes, if we can't avoid them all together.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 07:15:18 am »

Take a look at some of AndrewFG's posts (he posted above) and at his analyzer:
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra
Pages: [1]   Go Up